• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Things You Love and Hate about KH:COM

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caxinuld

Awards
I've played this game for over a week and I'm having fun with it. I like the card combat system, the difficulty curve isn't steep or flat and I can't wait to see Riku's story for myself. However, I really don't like how some doors need cards at specific numbers, I find it extremely annoying when all my cards can't match the values and even if I use the teeming, almighty or looming cards, I just get more cards of a color or number I don't need. I also thought Replica Riku's Dark Aura attack is overpowered, with little to no way of dodging him.

Last edited:

andreverts

Awards
Well, the original CoM was a great action-jrpg (one of the best I ever played) back at GBA's time.

My first impression with the card system wasn't very good, after the first two KHs on PS2 (yeah, firstly played CoM after KH II...) I felt disappointed for such a change; but when I got its mechanism, turned out deep, balanced, tactical and funny. Anyway, many people still hate it, because it's unique in the serie.
So I think the card system is something that pretty much you love or hate. I stand for the first, I like strategy - I'm not saying there's no strategy in the PS2 games of the series, but CoM requires way more.

One thing I dislike is the dungeon crawler system. It's reasonable to me that they chose it, because it was a GBA game at the end of the day, but I'm glad this is the only one built this way.

Ps. I remember the last battle with Replica Riku as a nightmare, considering is not even the final boss or a secret one, yeah maybe is overpowered - it's funny I didn't have so much trouble on Re: CoM.

Dodi Dream

It's been a while since I played KH Chain of Memories, but if I remember correctly I really liked the fights against Riku Replica, especially the last one with Sora. I also like the story in general and the relationship between Sora, Donald and Goofy :)

I would say that the thing I hated the most was the second battle against Vexen, because it's been really difficult for me to defeat him. And I was disappointed of the final battle against Marluxia. I thought it was very easy, and I was expecting more from it.

I didn't like very much the card system neither but I liked the fact that you have to use a strategy to fight with it, so I didn't really hated it XD

Caxinuld

Awards
I would say that the thing I hated the most was the second battle against Vexen, because it's been really difficult for me to defeat him.

Out of all the bosses I've taken on, I think Vexen might be my favorite opponent from the game. It was a really fun challenge to constantly be on the move dodging his ice puddles and timing my strikes. However, I think his voice in this game is pretty bad compared to the one in Re:COM.

I can't reach the Marluxia fight because I need a blue card with a value of 1 and the game refuses to give me one no matter how many strong heartless I defeat. :(

andreverts

Awards
And I was disappointed of the final battle against Marluxia. I thought it was very easy, and I was expecting more from it.

I agree with that, especially if you refer to his 2nd form; that's the same feeling I had during the first KH final boss.

I can't reach the Marluxia fight because I need a blue card with a value of 1 and the game refuses to give me one no matter how many strong heartless I defeat. :(

You should create some roulette rooms if you're looking for a specific card.

About the story, the Reverse/Rebirth idea is really great and I remember I enjoyed very much playing as Riku!

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
CoM's characters and story are top notch for me.
The entire setting, the plot twists, the way they're represented (the progressive memory loss of the trio and how they're unaware of it is simply brilliant), the fact that the game begins with Sora entering at the ground floor and ends with Riku arriving at the same floor gives a feeling of closed circle.

The gameplay it's... mh. I'm not really good at these kind of games, so it was hard for me to get through the battles. And while the gameplay might not be completely wrong, I honestly think for every fan who enjoyed it you have one who wanted to play a standard real time rpg and got stuck with it, so it wan't a fair decision.
That being said, the GBA version plays much, much better than the Re version for ps2. The switch to 3D butchered the gameplay.

Rexy

Bronze Member
I really like KH:reCoM, the story is great, for me Sora is the best personality-wise, the battle system is awesome, you have to think a lot instead of button mashing, and has great bosses.

The things I really don't like is the worlds, I usually skip the cutscenes on the disney worlds, and the nonexistence of secret bosses, I mean, after completing the game you have not much to do unless complete the card collection. I would love to have a new room appear on Olympus Coliseum after completing the story mode with Sephiroth as a secret boss :p

Caxinuld

Awards
You should create some roulette rooms if you're looking for a specific card.
Unfortunately, I'm playing the original GBA release of the game and roulette cards only appeared in the ports to the PS2 and PS3.

Last edited:

andreverts

Awards
Oh, I didn't remember that (played the original CoM so many years ago)!

The things I really don't like is the worlds, I usually skip the cutscenes on the disney worlds

That's a negative thing of the entire serie, I mean: Disney worlds and characters are nice and original, but the stories are pointless or just about general messages like the importance of friendship, power of love and bla bla bla

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Love the gameplay, characters and story.

Hate? Uh... I can't say exactly what I hated about it. I pretty much enjoyed CoM since beginning to end.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I loved most things about CoM. The writing of KH reached its zenith in CoM, and I loved the gameplay. It features the best villains in the franchise (Larxene, Axel, Marluxia, Vexen) and Sora wasn’t the idiot they turned him into in KH2. Even the repetitive Disney worlds were well-written. I kind of get bored of the whole floors setup, but I did like how SDG + Jiminy would talk at the beginning and end of every floor. I have no idea why they forced us to do 100 Acre Wood.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I loved most things about CoM. The writing of KH reached its zenith in CoM, and I loved the gameplay. It features the best villains in the franchise (Larxene, Axel, Marluxia, Vexen) and Sora wasn’t the idiot they turned him into in KH2. Even the repetitive Disney worlds were well-written. I kind of get bored of the whole floors setup, but I did like how SDG + Jiminy would talk at the beginning and end of every floor. I have no idea why they forced us to do 100 Acre Wood.

"forced"? You could pretty much just breeze through it, lol.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I never got a GBA as a kid, so I can't really remember where I first saw the story. It was probably either the manga, or youtube videos of the japanese re:CoM, but either way I like the story a lot. It's always been one of my favorites in the series. I didn't get to try the actual game before 1.5 came out, and unfortunately I was extremely disappointed with it. The camera was awful and the battle system just wasn't for me in any way. It stayed as the only KH game that I never finished. Until now! A week ago I finally got the original version on an emulator and I'm having so much fun with it! The gameplay works so much better in the small restricted area and everything is more compact and faster paced. I also love the pixel graphics and just about everything works as I always imagined it would. I'm finally going to finish that one game I never did :D

tl;dr: I love the original, really dislike re:CoM.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Not to be a Re: CoM apologist, but I loved how we could finally see those Organization characters in 3D and voiced. Technically we got renders of them on KH2, but I wanted to see them in action, haha.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Not to be a Re: CoM apologist, but I loved how we could finally see those Organization characters in 3D and voiced. Technically we got renders of them on KH2, but I wanted to see them in action, haha.

And with voice acting! That's something I was thinking while reading through Larxene and Vexen's banter about Repliku. Larxene's voice actor fits her so well and I was kind of missing her evil voice there :D I like how her lines are delivered, especially the "what he is, is a toy" part. For that it's really nice we have the HD cutscenes. And the re:CoM versions of the music too, Marluxia's theme is great.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Things I love:

1. The characters. Sora is perfect here, Marluxia is mysteriously menacing, Axel is a snarky sarcastic douchebag and I love it, Jiminy is great, Donald and Goofy are wonderful as usual, and the Riku Replica is incredible always. Also, on Riku's side, Zexion had some enjoyable scenes, and Lexaeus is freaking great at being the stoic, dangerous powerhouse that we know him as

2. The gameplay. I love strategic games and melding in general, so the fact that I got both of it here made me very happy. We got an early form of command melding early on with the implementation of slates, and the strategy in the game (in my opinion) was wonderful. I know people don't like it because they don't like working for their prize, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

3. The story. This is perfect as well. Easily on my top 2 stories.

If I had one major complaint, it's that Reverse/Rebirth's Disney world's were bland, boring, and generally unappealing. They were completely devoid of life and felt like they were made purely to extend Riku's gameplay since the developer's couldn't think of any clever way for him to interact with the other villains on Maleficent's council. Also, Riku's gameplay was way more boring than Sora's, and I don't understand why people consider it the superior version of the battle system.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I loved CoM. Even the remake, I enjoyed. I'm not a fan of difficult gameplay AT ALL, but man did I love CoM's gameplay. It was so difficult and tedious to get through, and I loved it. It was perfect for killing time, too.

The story is the best in the series. Sora is a very deep character here. Donald and Goofy was very supportive. I'm glad Jiminy got a bigger role here, he was helpful, too. I actually enjoyed the Organization here. I hated them in KH2 and Days, but they were so intimidating here. I still dislike Vexen and Larxene 'til this day, but I admired them as villains here.

If there was one thing I disliked about CoM, it's Reverse/Rebirth. Not the story and Riku's development, that was fantastic, it's the gameplay I had a problem with and that's changing cards every world. My god was Wonderland horrible. Same goes with the Twilight Town Repliku fight. It made not customizing your deck a big let down, considering it being a blessing to most.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I, for one, love playing as Riku exactly because I suck at making my own deck, nor I enjoy doing that with Sora.
Having the game giving me a deck everytime was just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back