• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The State of Sleep: Apprentice Xehanort

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key of Valor

The Professor
This theory is primarily about the word 'sleep', what it means to be in sleep,
and how the state of sleep may involve Terra/Xehanort.

Below is text from the beginning of CoM,R/R. The theory that follows
involves much of this text so it is here for the reader to refer to.

The Beginning

Riku: Urgh... Where... where am I...?

DiZ: "Sleep."

Riku: Who's there?!

DiZ: "Sleep. Here, between light and dark."

Riku: Between... what? The king! Where's the king?! Together we closed the door to darkness, and after that... Grr, why can't I remember?

DiZ: "Your king is far away. Sleep, and leave the war with darkness in his hands. The thorny light of awakening will bring only anguish to one in your state. Turn from the light. Shut your eyes."

Riku: You talk like I'm some kind of demon of the dark.

DiZ: "Can you face the truth?"

DiZ: "Here, blanketed by the darkness, sleep is safety. Sleep is eternal."

Riku: Is this... a card?

DiZ: "It is a door to the truth. Take it, and your sleep ends. Take it, and take the first step toward the truth. But know this: The truth will bring you pain. Will you still go? There can be no returning to the sweet security of sleep."

Riku: Yeah, well... Seems like a boring place to take a nap anyway.

DiZ: "Well said, Riku."

Riku: A door to the truth, huh...

Hollow Bastion

Riku: This is Maleficent's castle! How'd I end up HERE? Someone must have brought me here while I was sleeping. But who?

DiZ: "What you see is not real. It's the world of your memory."

Riku: My memory?

DiZ: "The things you remember of Maleficent's castle from your time there. Those memories became a card, and that card made this world. The things you see — you've seen them all before, haven't you?"

Riku: Yeah... So what now? Am I supposed to learn something while I'm here? Maybe run into someone I know?

DiZ: "Ordinarily... yes. You would meet the people in your memories."

Riku: Ordinarily? Hey, I'm asking you a question! Fine. But it'd better be you I run across next, Voice. I'm sick of talking to thin air.

The Key of Beginnings room...

Riku: It's like he said — everything's just how I remember it. Even this room...

DiZ: "It must be nice being back in your old bedroom. Think of all the memories..."

Riku: You again. Sorry, but these memories I could do without. Maleficent gave me this room.

DiZ: "So she did. And you lived here, tempted by the darkness she offered. You cast away your home, your friends, everything... But at least they gave you a nice room."

Riku: Shut up.

The Key of Guidance room...

Riku: No one here, either... There's nothing but Heartless in this castle. Voice! I know you're watching — so explain this. Where are the people from my memories? Tell me!

DiZ: "Are you sure you want to see them?"

Riku: Of course I do.

DiZ: "But you cast them aside. To reach the outside world, you passed through the door to darkness. Behind you, you left family, friends, home — everything — all in pursuit of darkness."

Riku: But I cast that aside, too!

DiZ: "Then what do you have to show for it? First your home, then the dark. Your heart only knows how to throw things away. It's empty, like that room. Like your memories. That's why no one is in the castle with you. Your heart is hollow except for the darkness you couldn't quite shake off."

Riku: You're full of it! I rejected the darkness!

DiZ: "Ha ha ha... Did you really, now?"

The Key of Truth room…

Maleficent: I knew you’d return, Riku.

Riku: Maleficent! You’re Alive?!

Maleficent: You haven’t been paying attention. I’m a figment of your memory.

Riku: Of all the people I could run into, it had to be you…

Maleficent: Who else? Your heart is steeped in darkness. You can only see people who exist in that same darkness – people like me.

Riku: No…

Maleficent: Be grateful you have someone to keep you company. Your heart is empty. Were it not for darkness in your heart… …you would be completely alone.

Riku: That’s sounding pretty good just about now.

Maleficent: Come, now. You once clung to me to sate your hunger for darkness. You want me here. Who else could give you the darkness you long for?

Riku: There was a time I did want you around. I surrendered my heart to the dark. But never again. You and your darkness have nothing to offer. All I did was lose myself… Empty myself! I’m finished with all that. If I’m stuck seeing people like you, people of the dark… I’ll take you out one by one.

Maleficent: Then don’t forget to take yourself out last. Because you, like me, are one of the dark.

Riku: That’s fine with me. I turned to darkness because my heart was weak. I hate that weakness. It’s like I’m my own enemy. And seeing people like you embrace the darkness just make it worse! Enough talk, Maleficent.

Maleficent: So you hate the darkness enough to fight it… Oh, the agony you must feel! Let me end your pain, Riku – end with the wondrous power of darkness!

State of Sleep:

Consider this, what happens when a hearts rejects both light and darkness? A heart can never completely rid itself of both but if a heart was left with so little of both, it may become weak and hollow and perhaps even unable to sustain active force. A hollow heart could potentially collapse on itself.

Riku fell close to this state but in the most critical moment Riku’s heart found strength in his friends and avoided whatever horrible fate that would have befallen him.

When Riku awoke at the beginning of CoM,R/R he was technically in a sort of ‘Dive into the Heart’ of his own heart. It represented how he had pushed everything out of his heart. Riku stood in the Twilight on the verge of Oblivion. He still had his memories but they were wrapped in darkness and while in Castle Oblivion, he only saw people from his memories that were steeped in his same darkness.

Riku was an enemy of both dark and light in Castle Oblivion. At the end of Riku’s ordeal though had made the choice to walk the path of light and dark in hopes of eventually ridding himself of his own shadows.

As a result of Riku’s heart being hollow, he almost disappeared but he persisted onward to restore his heart.

What would have become of Riku if his heart had given in, or had disappeared? Might it have truly collapsed on itself and if so what would this mean for Riku?

Here’s what I think.

A virtually empty heart wouldn’t necessarily have to become a Heartless, since Heartless depend so very much on the individual’s own darkness in their heart, the kind of darkness an empty heart would be lacking. Theoretically an empty heart would be forced from its vessel and possibly have the ability to retain awareness as heart and thus migrate to another vessel.

To summarize this part of the theory, I think the state of sleep is when a heart rejects both light and darkness and becomes hollow and unable to sustain itself in a world of both so the heart is forced from the vessel but is safe from disappearing into darkness. It instead can decide for itself where it belongs.

Apprentice Xehanort Identity:

Keep an open mind about what I’m about to say. I think Terra alone is Xehanort. I don’t think the Dark Soldier or Master Xehanort is involved in anyway with the Xehanort of the current installments. For those who disagree, please hear me out.

There has more than enough evidence to suggest that Terra falls to darkness in BBS. I think I can explain the loss of memory without contributing the cause to the all so popular idea of ‘sudden amnesia’. Usually those who embrace darkness sacrifice their light in the process. Perhaps Terra steeped his heart in darkness a little too much. Though we know only bits and pieces of Terra’s personality, we would expect him to be a heroic character even if he does fall to darkness. He might try to purge his heart of darkness. If his heart was suddenly rid of darkness, might that make his heart hollow? To have initially embraced that darkness Terra would have had to turn his back on light. If his heart does become hollow it might explain Terra’s lost of memories seeing how memories primarily lie in one’s heart. Despite having a hollowed heart, like Riku, Terra may have survived. If so he may have ended up in Radiant Garden. His physical changes could be attributed to the intensity of the final confrontation in BBS. Perhaps a massive attack of some sort caused Terra’s altered appearance. Maybe embracing a new power triggered some sort of physical transformation. However like I stated before, his heart would be almost completely hollow and void of memories. Why then does he take the name Xehanort if his memories are?

Maleficent: Who else? Your heart is steeped in darkness. You can only see people who exist in that same darkness – people like me.

Lingering Sentiment: So you have returned, young Keyblade user. I have no further power to give you. All I have is my hatred towards Xehanort. Will you allow me to engrave that into your heart?

Lingering Sentiment is not ‘canon’ himself but his words do hold meaning. Like with Riku, Terra’s heart only recognized those in his memories who were steeped in darkness. Remnants of Terra’s memory of Master Xehanort were all that was left in his heart, or at least all he could remember being in the hollowed state he was in. His hate for Master Xehanort was engraved in his heart. It was all he had left.

Nomura has said that Xemnas might be a special Nobody. That’s a bit odd considering how Xemnas is often considered to have been born in a very normal case though he is undeniably a unique individual. Why might Xemnas be considered a special Nobody? Perhaps it is because his Heartless was a special Heartless. When Xehanort transcended to the existence of solely a heart, he retained his consciousness but didn’t materialize a physical form of darkness. He was solely a heart but unlike all Heartless in so many ways. To obtain a physical form he infiltrated Riku’s hearted and rematerialized his vessel into one of his liking. One with his image, (as well as partly resembling Master Xehanort) Also his clothes change to a black, white, red scheme. A most unusual Heartless indeed. I believe all the special qualities of Xehanort’s special Heartless could be explained by Terra’s hollowed heart with too little darkness to become a mindless Heartless. Terra’s heart perhaps was practically empty which would result in his so called Heartless to be practically nothing itself except for a conscious heart with a transparent form until it migrated to Riku’s vessel and took it for his own.

Xemnas has no exceedingly unique properties himself excluding how he might have memories his original self did not have at the time the heart left the body. The only reason Xemnas might be a special Nobody is because his Heartless may be a special Heartless.

Those are my reasons for believing Xehanort’s heart is Terra’s hollowed heart, a heart dangerous near the State of Sleep. Personally I think there might be another individual whose heart is also in a similar state but that’s another theory entirely. Please comment about what you think about this theory below.

Last edited:

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Bruh. make the font bigger. Nobody wants to strain their eyes to read this.

Key of Valor

The Professor
I made the text bigger...
but the color stays, lol.
It's just to seperate the
text from the theories.

angelbabe74006

This theory sucks and you blow, you'rea conceited ass to think you can make better theories than SA, and the blue hurt my eys.
Have a nice day.

EDIT: and MX+Terra=Xehanort =D

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
This theory sucks and you blow, you'rea conceited ass to think you can make better theories than SA, and the blue hurt my eys.
Have a nice day.

EDIT: and MX+Terra=Xehanort =D

Dont say things like this. They are not nice. If you are not going to contribute anything to the thread, its best to not say anything, less you look bad.

Not being mean here, but lets not let this happen again.

Key of Valor

The Professor
angelbabe74006 said:
Have a nice day.

Um... you really didn't give a reason why you didn't like my theory.
Specifics would be nice, because at least then it's constructive criticism.

And about the MX+Terra=Xehanort Theory,
it's possible and likely, but as my theory
domonstrates, I personally offer a different
alternative to the mystery that I personally
believe.

angelbabe74006

Dont say things like this. They are not nice. If you are not going to contribute anything to the thread, its best to not say anything, less you look bad.

Not being mean here, but lets not let this happen again.
I sorries. T_T He was mean to SA though, and that made my blood boil.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Alright, If Terra's heart was "hollowized" Then that would have to mean that it became weak. Correct? A hallow heart has no strengths or weakness, its just there. There is no way that a heart such as that could produce a Nobody, seeing as Nobodies are created when a person with a Strong heart turnes into a heartless.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Nice question, Nobodies are created when the heart of
a strong willed person departs from a vessel. The heart
itself was weak in a sense but to have a weak heart
and still persist onward takes a strong will.

A

Audo

Nice question, Nobodies are created when the heart of
a strong willed person departs from a vessel. The heart
itself was weak in a sense but to have a weak heart
and still persist onward takes a strong will.
No, the heart itself is what is strong. That is why it creates a Nobody. Weak Heart = no Nobody.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Thats what I thought. Seems I have found a flaw in your theory.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Well on one hand, Terra's heart would have been weak
in the sense it had little light and darkness, on the other
hand even in that state it was still strong enough to exist
for as long as it did.

Axie

Sleeping on the couch at the usual spot until such
Which brings us back to square one. Because Sora and Riku both pulled this same stunt (running around as only a heart), which would mean that Xemnas is special in the same way Roxas is special.

If sleep is somewhere in between light and dark, seems like Nobodies would be connected to that somehow, but Riku doesn't even have one to begin with, and between Sora and Roxas, Sora did a lot more sleeping. The idea of a hollow heart would sort of explain the lack of a Nobody and Heartless, though; did Riku ever really get explained? His body got...sorta...destroyed. So I guess that would throw a wrench in the creating a Nobody idea (his heart left him before that, but XH was still in control, so), but it doesn't really stop up the Heartless idea unless he's not a human-shaped Heartless like Sora. ('Course, that begs the question of when he gets his body back exactly. I probably missed something.)

I'm having trouble with the idea that the heart can be completely purged of darkness and light both, because I was getting the distinct impression that a heart is only composed of darkness, light, and memories. Drop the light and dark and you've just got the memories...well, wouldn't that be something close to a Nobody?

Until we see conclusive proof, I can't accept that MX and Xehanort aren't closely related, if not the same person, whether Terra is involved or not (I think he is, but there's always the DS possibility, too). They're just too similar to discount it entirely, even if it only means that MX did something to imprint his image onto Terra/DS/young man who becomes Xehanort.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Well on one hand, Terra's heart would have been weak
in the sense it had little light and darkness, on the other
hand even in that state it was still strong enough to exist
for as long as it did.

Just because a heart is strong enough to exist, does not mean that it has enough strength to creat a Nobody.

Key of Valor

The Professor
I appreciate the comments/criticsim
(and I appreciate those who read the whole long theory)

I usually don't like explaining my belief about Riku's
state in KH1 cause my theories involving him are my
most circumstancial, I'll admit to that.

Basically my thoughts about him ties with my only other
theory thread, The Heart Projection Theory where while Ansem
was possessing Riku's body, Riku's heart was still in his vessel
and was projecting himself in the Realm of Darkness. When
Ansem disappeared, Riku's vessel possibly went to the Realm
of Darkness but Riku stayed a projection until he helped close
the door, then he re-awoke in his vessel in the empty void
at the beginning of CoM,R/R.

And about the heart completely purging itself of light and dark,
I tried to avoid saying that, I even mentioned that no heart can
ever be void of both, but if I did accidently say that, please tell
me where so I can correct it. What I mean though is that a
'hollowed heart' is not empty but almost empty that it would
be in this state of unique properties.

And about the 'Hollowed Heart' being close to a Nobody...
that's very true, which will bring me to my eventual third
theory thread I hope to post soon.

And that heart strong enough/weak enough to produce a
Nobody is some-what of a snag in my theory. I stick by my
explaination of it being strong in the sense of being to
sustain itself in such a condition but I see how my explaination
may not satisfy which may justify someone to regard this
theory as wrong. I still think though my explaination does
well to describe why a Nobody was created.
-Besides, didn't Riku still have a strong heart in Castle Oblivion
despite its weak state? (Yeah, I know, it's a paradox, which
means its a seemingly false contradicting statement that may
be true)

A

Audo

Eh? Riku's heart was sent into the dark realm by Xehanort. That is confirmed by the games, and by Nomura. He was an existence of only a heart and was able to keep his physical appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back