• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The split between Kingdom Hearts X and Unchained X

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
With these last five quests leaving little to do quest-wise and ample material to work with plot-wise, it seems we finally have our answer of what happened at the end of X.

From what I have understood through rough translation so far, the meat of the plot happens when Chirithy has a conversation with Ephemer and Skuld after their meeting with the Union Leaders (didn't know Chirithy had a gender, by the way). From what Ephemer and Skuld said to Chirithy, it seems like the player has had their memory wiped one way or another. The Player still dreams about these events, and frequently has nightmares about that day, but Chirithy is instructed to lie about the past in order to preserve the future. This finally makes Chirithy a true dream eater, in my eyes, since he's eating all of the bad nightmares and leaving good ones, in a way.

Union Cross is an attempt to have the Player cheer up so he'll eventually end up forgetting the events of the past entirely, from what I've seen so far. Ephemer is more mature now that he is a Union Leader, and he senses a different darkness in this world rather than the heartless they've seen before, foreshadowing the return of the dream eaters proper. I say this because the dream eaters are known in the series as the enemies that never had a proper explanation to their existence other than "heartless can't get through, so these are a new breed of darkness", so him being confused by the complexity of this darkness could be a clue as to what this new darkness is. Skuld then says that telling Chirithy of the darkness is only going to make her more anxious, and Ephemer states that he feels that they should be clued in on what's going on at least a little bit, as every time a change in this world occurs as opposed to the last one it makes him more and more uneasy (also, we finally heard "may your heart be your guiding key").

Now, from what we can gather here, we can finally begin to understand the ending of Kingdom Hearts X. The Player is lied to by the Chirithy after the events of the Keyblade War, and is brought back to the Unchained Realm, a new world seemingly created by the Master of Masters. From here, Chirithy tells the player about all of the events leading up to this point, but leaving the keyblade war out of it, including the talks with Master Gula, the fight with the nightmare chirithy, everything that can be considered end-game. The Master of Masters said that it would be best for memories of tragedy to be saved for the Union Leaders and the union leaders only, with the player being told that their dreams are just that; nightmares, and nothing more. This is first introduced when the Player wakes up in Enchanted Dominion, directly after the keyblade war, and is told by Chirithy that they dreamed all of those events up, and supposedly joined the dandelions.

So, the game seemingly takes place at the start of that dreaming realm; you go through most of the events of the original world, but just around Cinderella everything starts changing significantly, which makes Ephemer especially uneasy. The differences are like this: in the original game, you go through the entirety of the keyblade war and claim post as the last man standing, and in Unchained X Ephemer and Skuld try desperately to help you forget what happened, with you reliving the events of the past, but with changes here and there; a false dream, if you will.

I'll rewrite large portions of this article later, since I think my sentence structure and thoughts in this post were absolutely jumbled, but what do you guys think? If anyone is a translator, was this mostly correct, or was the guy that I watched absolutely wrong about the translation? Comment below, let me know ^u^

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
chirithy is likely to be a boy fyi

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
chirithy is likely to be a boy fyi

Well, in the translation i saw last skuld referred to chirithy as a her, but it could easily be flipped. Sorry, this is coming from a guy that can't read or speak Japanese. I might get my best friend to translate it, though.

Hirokey123

Awards
Couldn't the darkness he be talking about be Maleficent not the Dream Eaters? If Maleficent is real that would be a different kind of darkness since up until they've only encountered fake disney villains and nightmares.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Couldn't the darkness he be talking about be Maleficent not the Dream Eaters? If Maleficent is real that would be a different kind of darkness since up until they've only encountered fake disney villains and nightmares.
it possibe so you say saying future darkness

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Well, in the translation i saw last skuld referred to chirithy as a her, but it could easily be flipped. Sorry, this is coming from a guy that can't read or speak Japanese. I might get my best friend to translate it, though.

Chirithy always uses the masculine "boku" when referring to himself. It is possible this may be another situation like Moogles, who also refer to themselves in that manner but opted for neutral pronouns in the English version of Type-0 HD.

I didn't notice any line of dialogue where Skuld refers to Chirithy as a her, though. Would you happen to have a link to the rough translation? I can double-check the transcript of the scene to clear up the confusion.

faemarch

Ansem's Apprentice
Awards
Chirithy always uses the masculine "boku" when referring to himself. It is possible this may be another situation like Moogles, who also refer to themselves in that manner but opted for neutral pronouns in the English version of Type-0 HD.

I didn't notice any line of dialogue where Skuld refers to Chirithy as a her, though. Would you happen to have a link to the rough translation? I can double-check the transcript of the scene to clear up the confusion.
He was likely referring to this translation.
The translator then mentions that they went with female pronouns for Chirithy just 'cause.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
With these last five quests leaving little to do quest-wise and ample material to work with plot-wise, it seems we finally have our answer of what happened at the end of X.

From what I have understood through rough translation so far, the meat of the plot happens when Chirithy has a conversation with Ephemer and Skuld after their meeting with the Union Leaders (didn't know Chirithy had a gender, by the way). From what Ephemer and Skuld said to Chirithy, it seems like the player has had their memory wiped one way or another. The Player still dreams about these events, and frequently has nightmares about that day, but Chirithy is instructed to lie about the past in order to preserve the future. This finally makes Chirithy a true dream eater, in my eyes, since he's eating all of the bad nightmares and leaving good ones, in a way.

Union Cross is an attempt to have the Player cheer up so he'll eventually end up forgetting the events of the past entirely, from what I've seen so far. Ephemer is more mature now that he is a Union Leader, and he senses a different darkness in this world rather than the heartless they've seen before, foreshadowing the return of the dream eaters proper. I say this because the dream eaters are known in the series as the enemies that never had a proper explanation to their existence other than "heartless can't get through, so these are a new breed of darkness", so him being confused by the complexity of this darkness could be a clue as to what this new darkness is. Skuld then says that telling Chirithy of the darkness is only going to make her more anxious, and Ephemer states that he feels that they should be clued in on what's going on at least a little bit, as every time a change in this world occurs as opposed to the last one it makes him more and more uneasy (also, we finally heard "may your heart be your guiding key").

Now, from what we can gather here, we can finally begin to understand the ending of Kingdom Hearts X. The Player is lied to by the Chirithy after the events of the Keyblade War, and is brought back to the Unchained Realm, a new world seemingly created by the Master of Masters. From here, Chirithy tells the player about all of the events leading up to this point, but leaving the keyblade war out of it, including the talks with Master Gula, the fight with the nightmare chirithy, everything that can be considered end-game. The Master of Masters said that it would be best for memories of tragedy to be saved for the Union Leaders and the union leaders only, with the player being told that their dreams are just that; nightmares, and nothing more. This is first introduced when the Player wakes up in Enchanted Dominion, directly after the keyblade war, and is told by Chirithy that they dreamed all of those events up, and supposedly joined the dandelions.

So, the game seemingly takes place at the start of that dreaming realm; you go through most of the events of the original world, but just around Cinderella everything starts changing significantly, which makes Ephemer especially uneasy. The differences are like this: in the original game, you go through the entirety of the keyblade war and claim post as the last man standing, and in Unchained X Ephemer and Skuld try desperately to help you forget what happened, with you reliving the events of the past, but with changes here and there; a false dream, if you will.

I'll rewrite large portions of this article later, since I think my sentence structure and thoughts in this post were absolutely jumbled, but what do you guys think? If anyone is a translator, was this mostly correct, or was the guy that I watched absolutely wrong about the translation? Comment below, let me know ^u^

See, that's a thing I'm actually wondering about a little as if I recall correctly the Dandelions were not even supposed to participate in the Keyblade War, so there should be no memories for them to be erased/forgotten (except if I overlooked something and they were actually forced to watch it play out from the sidelines).

The Player Avatar is yet again a wildcard in this one as, as far as I recall, they declined the invitation to join the Dandelions in the original X so for all intents and purposes they should have been left to perish in the war.
Skuld and Ephemer coming for him/her may thus be something that was not planned out and thus they have now strictly spoken a non-Dandelion survivor of the war in the Unchained realm who, according to the MoM's plans and also Ava's designs, isn't even supposed to be there in the first place.

Then again however, that the Player Avatar passed Ava's test and she found him/her worthy enough to be included in the Dandelions may also play a role so that maybe the Player Avatar participating in the war was actually the part that was not intended to happen.

Ephemer feeling uneasy about all this is no surprise though as it is a) a sort of manipulation and "brainwashing" no matter how well-intentioned, not unlike the things Naminé and DiZ did to Roxas in the KH 2 Prologue or what was done with the Riku Replica and b) beforehand he was just a curious young lad who wanted to investigate the truth, now he has tons of responsibility heaped upon his shoulders as the indirect leader of everyone with no more guidance/advice from a teacher figure around.
Every decision and action he now takes may have huge consequences and the changes occuring in this world may eventually force him into making rash decisions, so him feeling this uneasy may be quite an indicator that Ephemer is completely aware of his current role and has a certain insecurity about it.

It's ironic that Ava says "I'm sure you'll feel a little more at ease if you're a leader." when apparently the exact opposite is the case as even in that scene Ephemer answers with "A...leader?" hinting at him not really being comfortable with the idea.

wait what likely to be a boy but has girl voice in backcover?

In case you didn't know, young boys who haven't had their voice break yet or males who are supposed to be very cute, as which Chirithy certainly counts, are very often voiced by girls or young women to get that brighter voice down and also keep that voice.
Young boys being voiced by actual boys before voice break is also a thing (like Luke Manriquez and Ty Panitz for young Sora and Riku, who are more or less cameos though), but when the character in question doesn't grow with the voice actor it will someday be unavoidable to change voice actors, so in several cases a girl is cast for the voice work to prevent this.

That being said though, there are countless Chirithies around and the one primarily seen in Back Cover is Ava's Chirithy, so who's to say that that one isn't a girl?
Not to mention that they're literally living plushies apparently, so they're just as likely to be genderless and as we know with Meow Wow, where the question boy or girl is even brought up in the description, Dream Eaters might not have so stringent definitions of "boy and girl" in the first place.

Nightmare Dream Eaters weren't really seen in the original X except for one single instance and it was stated that they will appearr eventually in Union X Cross, but it is not impossible that the darkness Ephemer senses being "more complex" is because it is both, the Nightmare Dream Eaters and Maleficent's own powers of Darkness.
The "Heartless" fought in the original X were also illusions conjured up by the Book of Prophecies (with the exception of the Black Garments, but I dunno if those are really Heartless at all), so maybe the ones who'll appear in Union X won't be anymore and that's why Ephemer senses it as more "complex"?

Furthermore in DDD Yen Sid says:
Maleficent must sense
a change in the forces of darkness. A change...like Xehanort.

Since we don't have any official translations yet I won't interpret too much into it, although that the "forces of Darkness" can change and feel different (something that was already brushed with Riku in CoM when he sensed DiZ posing as Ansem SoD) may be indeed an indicator that a new force has entered the fray.
Heck, who knows, maybe Maleficent can even learn to excercise an amount of control over Nightmare Dream Eaters due to her having powers over sleep, which would give her an own army instantly.
The Heartless in KH III will most likely follow Xehanort since he's the dark head honcho while the Spirit Dream Eaters may aid the good guys (Sora and Riku have already befriended them, and Ventus may already have done so or will do so in the near future), so Maleficent commanding the Nightmares would certainly level the playing field and make her a serious threat again.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
See, that's a thing I'm actually wondering about a little as if I recall correctly the Dandelions were not even supposed to participate in the Keyblade War, so there should be no memories for them to be erased/forgotten (except if I overlooked something and they were actually forced to watch it play out from the sidelines).

The Player Avatar is yet again a wildcard in this one as, as far as I recall, they declined the invitation to join the Dandelions in the original X so for all intents and purposes they should have been left to perish in the war.
Skuld and Ephemer coming for him/her may thus be something that was not planned out and thus they have now strictly spoken a non-Dandelion survivor of the war in the Unchained realm who, according to the MoM's plans and also Ava's designs, isn't even supposed to be there in the first place.

Then again however, that the Player Avatar passed Ava's test and she found him/her worthy enough to be included in the Dandelions may also play a role so that maybe the Player Avatar participating in the war was actually the part that was not intended to happen.

I feel like you're onto something about Ava being shocked that you wouldn't join the dandelions. It makes sense for me, I guess I just wasn't bothered by the plot point :) It just serves to make things more interesting if anything! Skuld and Ephemer save you from death last second and wipe your mind of memories fighting in the war, making things more complicated in the long run just to save a friend. It really makes me feel like they actually care about the Player as much as their trio title suggests.

Ephemer feeling uneasy about all this is no surprise though as it is a) a sort of manipulation and "brainwashing" no matter how well-intentioned, not unlike the things Naminé and DiZ did to Roxas in the KH 2 Prologue or what was done with the Riku Replica and b) beforehand he was just a curious young lad who wanted to investigate the truth, now he has tons of responsibility heaped upon his shoulders as the indirect leader of everyone with no more guidance/advice from a teacher figure around.
Every decision and action he now takes may have huge consequences and the changes occuring in this world may eventually force him into making rash decisions, so him feeling this uneasy may be quite an indicator that Ephemer is completely aware of his current role and has a certain insecurity about it.

Can't disagree with this. See, this is what I love in a Kingdom Hearts game! Real human emotions! Ephemer is easily soaring to the top of my favorite characters list, and that also goes for Gula, Skuld, and the Player. I feel like Enix is full of great ideas for this expansion of the KH universe, and I am actually glad this came before III now :D

It's ironic that Ava says "I'm sure you'll feel a little more at ease if you're a leader." when apparently the exact opposite is the case as even in that scene Ephemer answers with "A...leader?" hinting at him not really being comfortable with the idea.

You'd think Ava would catch on to him being sort of uneasy about it, lol. I mean, that couldn't have been the very end of their conversation. I want to see an extended version of that scene now! Ava character moments are always nice, especially if they're with Ephemer as well.

That being said though, there are countless Chirithies around and the one primarily seen in Back Cover is Ava's Chirithy, so who's to say that that one isn't a girl?
Not to mention that they're literally living plushies apparently, so they're just as likely to be genderless and as we know with Meow Wow, where the question boy or girl is even brought up in the description, Dream Eaters might not have so stringent definitions of "boy and girl" in the first place.

Genderless, huh? That could be likely. I never thought of Chirithy to have much of a gender myself, it was never something I thought about much or cared about. Chirithy's a dream eater, that's the only identifier I've ever used to describe one.

Nightmare Dream Eaters weren't really seen in the original X except for one single instance and it was stated that they will appearr eventually in Union X Cross, but it is not impossible that the darkness Ephemer senses being "more complex" is because it is both, the Nightmare Dream Eaters and Maleficent's own powers of Darkness.
The "Heartless" fought in the original X were also illusions conjured up by the Book of Prophecies (with the exception of the Black Garments, but I dunno if those are really Heartless at all), so maybe the ones who'll appear in Union X won't be anymore and that's why Ephemer senses it as more "complex"?

That was a stupid move on my part, I completely forgot about Maleficent (who still thinks about her, though?).

The Heartless in KH III will most likely follow Xehanort since he's the dark head honcho while the Spirit Dream Eaters may aid the good guys (Sora and Riku have already befriended them, and Ventus may already have done so or will do so in the near future), so Maleficent commanding the Nightmares would certainly level the playing field and make her a serious threat again.

I'd totally be alright with this. Square, take notes.

Luxu

Awards

Master of Master said:
...and experience for yourselves an age of no tragedy...

The Player suffered the biggest tragedy of them all, watching friends, party members, and your Masters die. And lifeless Keyblades fall to the ground. It would make sense if they would try to erase those memories so the Player could begin a new start as a Dandelion or Union Leader. But, it still lingers around. It was so dramatic it could not be forgotten?

Ephemer, Skuld, and Ava actively did everything they could to rescue our Player...I wonder if our Player is a Union Leader, and that rejecting the offer to be a Dandelion was not predicted, as a result they save the Player. But it could just be an act of friendship.

It was a bit weird, she kept insisting them to join the Dandelions as well. I get everyone in that trio is friends with Ava, but her final words to them are basically "Join the Dandelions, save yourself." Oh and that "Some things aren't made to be found out"

Ephemer isn't much of a leader type, or at least he wasn't during that time. Skuld seems to be a lot more leaderish than Ephemer is, but I think Ava just means "You and four others will lead the Dandelions". So I think he feels a little more at ease because he isn't the only one burdened with the task.

Well, Ephemer is quite childish. Are we forgetting in Back Cover when he was talking to Ava? When he gets rejected, he acts like a child not getting what he wanted. (By pouting, is what I mean by this.) So that is a whole new reality from him, people are now depending on him. Not one or two people, but probably in the hundreds! He probably spent most of his time as a Keyblade Wielder just gathering some Lux for the fun of it, not making important decisions that probably control the fate of the whole universe!

Error 404:Ephemer.dandelion has stopped working

In case you didn't know, young boys who haven't had their voice break yet or males who are supposed to be very cute, as which Chirithy certainly counts, are very often voiced by girls or young women to get that brighter voice down and also keep that voice.

Chirithys/Chirithies are the only Dream Eaters that can speak, exception being Riku. But he is a person that became a Dream Eater so...

...Does no one stop to think why she had one?

A whole bunch of living plushs walking around...Has it occurred to anyone that some Dream Eaters are plush-like?

It better be dramatic when it appears again then...

What I find interesting, is that Black Garments don't function like Heartless. But function closer to Nobodies, is it possible that Black Garments are a hybrid of a wielder's Nobody and Heartless? Like a precursor to them? Because Sora turned into a Shadow when he became a Heartless, and Xehanort became something beyond that of a Black Garment. Meaning that something else has to be in motion...Perhaps because they only fell into darkness? And maybe people during that era are a lot more open to darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back