• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Smurfs

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Wikipedia said:
Sony Pictures has announced plans to begin a trilogy of live-action/computer-generated Smurf films, the first to be released in 2011. The project had been in various stages of development since 2003. In June 2008, it was announced that Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation have acquired film rights from Lafig Belgium. Current plans have Jordan Kerner producing with Shrek 2 and Shrek the Third screenwriters J. David Stem and David N. Weiss in negotiations to write.

The film is due to star Jonathan Winters as Papa Smurf, Katy Perry as Smurfette, George Lopez as Grouchy Smurf, Kevin James as Hefty Smurf and Alan Cumming as Gutsy Smurf. It was suggested that Quentin Tarantino would play Brainy Smurf, but this "didn't work out"

IGN said:
According to the site, there are a lot of TV comics voicing the Smurfs. Two Saturday Night Live cast members -- Kenan Thompson as Greedy Smurf and Fred Armisen as Brainy Smurf -- have signed on, as well as B.J. Novak (The Office) as Baker Smurf and John Oliver (The Daily Show) as Vanity Smurf. Jeff Foxworthy will provide the voice of Handy Smurf, while Wolfgang Puck will fittingly play Chef Smurf. Gary Basaraba (Mixed Blessings) has been cast as Hefty Smurf.

Hmmm. Didn't Avatar already do this? (kidding)

This.......I don't know what to say about this. It might be....... hell I don't even have a clue.

The Smurfs is set to open August 3, 2011.

Rix

:)
Awards
I used to love the cartoon as a kid and I'm glad to see good childhood memories being brought back.

But a live action movie? I wonder how that will look like..

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I'm Belgian. This is our national product. You americans better not fuck up.
I'm feeling kind of weird with all those well known voices as smurfs though. It's not about nationality or anything, I'm just not sure they fit.

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member
franziska-whip.gif

WTF. STAY OFF MY SMURFS HOLLYWOOD.
I freaking loved that show along with the snorks.

SilverJ-17

spams bombs, not posts
News: Smurfs Movie.
Response: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!1

They better not call it Smurfs: The Movie either ¬_¬

I wasn't exactly a huge fan, but the trilogy part scares even me. If Hollywood calls it "Smurfs: The Movie" or anything else fairly generic, I'll know its fate has sealed. Honestly, why is Hollywood trying so hard to ruin childhood memories, or at least risk doing that? Seriously though, the Smurfs is one of the more cartoony cartoons. I really have a hard time seeing how making Live Action will work, then again, didn't Alice in Wonderland (fairly cartoony animated movie) or is the jury still out on that one?

Tenyas

RE: +"T!red"+
At first, I was like, "Wheee, they're gonna make an animated film? 8D"

Then I read it. 8/

I'm thinking they're going to take it from a quirky kid's show and make it into a form of prolongued stand-up comedy.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Honestly, why is Hollywood trying so hard to ruin childhood memories, or at least risk doing that?

Because they know that no matter how hard they screw up, they'll still rake in the cash.

αsiя;5023805 said:
Didn't the Smurfs die?

No, no they didn't. It still sells after 50 years. Hence, Hollywood.

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member
αsiя;5023805 said:
Didn't the Smurfs die?

LOL what you said made me think of those cartoon over analyzations because I think that was one they had on there. Like the one where Ash from Pokemon is in a coma and everything is fake or the ones where the kids from Ed, Edd and Eddy were in Purgatory.

Gawd, those were horrible.

Tenyas

Ya'know, despite it sounding horrible, I will end up watching it just for the heck of it. owo I think many other people'll be doing the same.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Here's Hank Azaria as Gargamel in The Smurfs - ComingSoon.net

As if the shots of The CGI Smurfs weren't bad enough, I give you Hank Azaria as Gargamel.

Apparently the plot is Gargamel has sent the Smurfs tumbling from their world into ours, hence why he is in New York.

*sigh* for fucks sake.

No offense, but for fucks sake, now I really hate you americans. Wait, that's just offense right?
Also, not to sound like a purist fanboy or anything, but Gargamel couldn't afford a ring like that. Dirtpoor he was. s1demteeth

Ya'know, despite it sounding horrible, I will end up watching it just for the heck of it. owo I think many other people'll be doing the same.

I will too and that's my idea exactly. Well, that and all the children who don't give a flying fuck about how wrong this is. Which is how they'll make enough to warrant the sequels.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Apparently the plot is Gargamel has sent the Smurfs tumbling from their world into ours, hence why he is in New York.

I predict this is going to end up horrifically bad. Maybe not even enjoyably bad.

Tenyas

I'm actually thinking of 'enjoyably bad' meaning something like Disney's Enchanted [which was... horribly cliche' but, got a few giggles]. That's kinda the best I'm hoping for but, I think it's better to hold no expectations for something other then for it to waste a bit of time.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Problem is though, enjoyably bad is very different for everyone. I, for example think the Street Fighter movie from the 90's is enjoyably bad, but there are TONS of people who'd disagree. And I can't blame 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back