• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Secret of Kells

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
I went to an afternoon showing of it at the art theater here. Secret of Kells was good, not great, but good. The animation is superb as well as the art direction; a modern-styled tribute to Celtic art. I was surprised at just how deeply the movie was immersed in Celtic mythology. It wasn't entire accurate, but it had tons of nods to the legends surrounding one of the most famous illuminated manuscripts ever made. It was a small but necessary liberty to take in order to make a good story.

So yeah, go see it now.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I missed it when it came out here over a year ago. Maybe I should look for the dvd :p

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
because i don't have a full understanding of the ending do you mind if you could...uh...share your depiction on it. I found myself a little disturbed with how everything ended :/

What was so disturbing about it, that the abbey at Kells was sacked? Brendon's return to Kells gives his uncle the absolution he needs. The Book of Kells also proves to the Abbot that Brendon believed in what he was doing and why he risked his life to continue working on it.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
But there was more to it than that. The Abbot wanted to build the wall to block the Vikings from invading, however Brendon wanted to work on the book that would illuminate the darkness (some obvious metaphor of light and darkness going on here). In such an abrupt ending, the only thing i could gather was that "you cant build walls to harbor darkness so when the worst has passed, look into the light". I suppose the one thing that makes it disturbing is how realistic it is, because those people didn't stand a chance against those Vikings, but the magical situations i.e. the little girl Ashley (sp?) kind of threw me off here. Why add unrealistic events, in a story using metaphors for a realistic point???

I guess for me the ending was bittersweet. The ending served it's purpose, but i think they should have at least shown the impact the Book of Kells would have on the rest of the people aside from the Abbot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back