• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► The second episode of Kingdom Hearts Mysteries is now live

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anagram

Banned
I liked the video, but I don't think I liked it as much as the Timeline and first episode. I may be wrong, but I thought a lot of what it said was speculation never confirmed in or outside of the games. One example being the explanation for why Ven's body didn't disappear after his heart left. To my understanding, there was no reason for his body to disappear in the first place, considering he neither died nor had his heart stolen. It was a simple separation. I don't think Nomura ever addressed this subject, so of course this is just my thoughts behind that, so I could be wrong. However, I feel as though the conclusion I drew has just as much basis as what was said in the video. I really don't think there's a clear answer at this point, and that didn't sit well with me in a video that's purpose is to give facts.

...And at the expense of sounding like a BIGGER nit-picky, know-it-all jerk: I think there was an error in the video. The part about Vanitas in DDD... Nomura addressed that in an interview (DDD's Ultimania "Scenario Mysteries"):

— Why did Xehanort and co. word things as if to try and wake Ventus who is inside Sora?
Nomura: They did so in order to tempt Sora’s heart and have it fall to the darkness. In the story it also talks about how abandoning the self leads to losing the heart. When you see Vanitas (the dark half of Ventus who appeared in KHBBS) overlay Young Xehanort for a moment, that represents Ventus’ heart reacting inside Sora.

...Which... completely contradicts what the video said, to my understanding. D: And that's the only time I'm aware of it being addressed, outside of the cutscene itself.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off nit-picky, or if I'm misunderstanding. I could be wrong, because these could've been confirmed already. But if there's an answer, it's not in the interviews on this site, which is why I'm unfamiliar with them. I just had to ask all this because, if I'm correct, I really don't want these videos to mislead people into believing things that could end up contradicted later in the series.

That's kind of how I felt the second "walking heart" came out of his mouth.
One other nitpick, and I don't expect anyone to know what I'm talking about, but I've hated the way this guy says "Kingdom Hearts" for so, so long. It's a weird emphasis on Kingdom that does it. KIINGdom hearts. Hate it. It's like when people but the emphasis in cream cheese on cream.

But I'm crazy and the rest of the video is perfectly adequate.
I third this when remembering what I've seen on here and other places. I also second the voice, something about it was....annoying. Another nitpick is that if felt like it didn't go into as much detail as there really was but they was likely constrained on time there so I overlook it.

An alright video overall though.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Thanks for the critique, everyone! Gonna reply to a few of them but please let us know if there's any other issues you have so we can further improve for the rest of the videos!

I liked the video, but I don't think I liked it as much as the Timeline and first episode. I may be wrong, but I thought a lot of what it said was speculation never confirmed in or outside of the games. One example being the explanation for why Ven's body didn't disappear after his heart left. To my understanding, there was no reason for his body to disappear in the first place, considering he neither died nor had his heart stolen. It was a simple separation. I don't think Nomura ever addressed this subject, so of course this is just my thoughts behind that, so I could be wrong. However, I feel as though the conclusion I drew has just as much basis as what was said in the video. I really don't think there's a clear answer at this point, and that didn't sit well with me in a video that's purpose is to give facts.

...And at the expense of sounding like a BIGGER nit-picky, know-it-all jerk: I think there was an error in the video. The part about Vanitas in DDD... Nomura addressed that in an interview (DDD's Ultimania "Scenario Mysteries"):

— Why did Xehanort and co. word things as if to try and wake Ventus who is inside Sora?
Nomura: They did so in order to tempt Sora’s heart and have it fall to the darkness. In the story it also talks about how abandoning the self leads to losing the heart. When you see Vanitas (the dark half of Ventus who appeared in KHBBS) overlay Young Xehanort for a moment, that represents Ventus’ heart reacting inside Sora.

...Which... completely contradicts what the video said, to my understanding. D: And that's the only time I'm aware of it being addressed, outside of the cutscene itself.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off nit-picky, or if I'm misunderstanding. I could be wrong, because these could've been confirmed already. But if there's an answer, it's not in the interviews on this site, which is why I'm unfamiliar with them. I just had to ask all this because, if I'm correct, I really don't want these videos to mislead people into believing things that could end up contradicted later in the series.

Hmm, perhaps the script could have been clearer in that regard, because we translated that exact quote into the script to explain that point.

That's kind of how I felt the second "walking heart" came out of his mouth.
One other nitpick, and I don't expect anyone to know what I'm talking about, but I've hated the way this guy says "Kingdom Hearts" for so, so long. It's a weird emphasis on Kingdom that does it. KIINGdom hearts. Hate it. It's like when people but the emphasis in cream cheese on cream.

But I'm crazy and the rest of the video is perfectly adequate.

The "walking heart" was the simplest option we had when it came to explaining what exactly Sora was in that state, besides over-complicating things with a longer (albeit more specific) explanation that more casual players would have difficulty following :(
A really well done episode indeed. Well done, again!
There was only one thing I would have altered a little bit. The bit were you talk about how Xemnas sampled Sora`s memories in KH1FM, I would have putted the scene itself in there. It drives the point even further home, when you see Xemnas pass trough Sora, and most of the pieces of dialogue we see, is related to Kairi. Bu this is only a small detail.

I do agree that we could have included that scene, but unfortunately we don't have the luxury to include so many different clips when they suit only one or two sentences in the script. Too much jumping around when the explanations themselves are already difficult to follow may only make things worse.

SoraForeverKH

That was a great episode! I loved the music they chose for the parts, too, especially during Sora's explanatory part with 'L oscurita dell ignot. That was awesome!
The episide did help me out with understanding a few things, and mentioned a couple I'd never even heard about... Like how Sora became a walking heart after Kairi transformed his Heartless form, and Xemnas taking samples of Sora's memories in KH fm before the special battle, which the organization later uses to create the replica of his memories, Xion. So that was quite interesting for me.
Sora is my most favorite character out there, so yeah, this episode was the best, in my opinion. At least, so far...
The next one about Xehanort I think will be sad to watch, after we have just recently lost both of his unique voice providers. But be sure I will watch it.
Looking forward to seeing more as these videos continue. Nicely done, all in all.

Anagram

Banned
Thanks for the critique, everyone! Gonna reply to a few of them but please let us know if there's any other issues you have so we can further improve for the rest of the videos!

The "walking heart" was the simplest option we had when it came to explaining what exactly Sora was in that state, besides over-complicating things with a longer (albeit more specific) explanation that more casual players would have difficulty following :(
Would it not have been better to just say she returned him to normal than give an explanation to something that lacks one though?

Watched it again and just now noticed the Xion tidbit about the Xemnas fight. Pretty neat connection. :biggrin:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Would it not have been better to just say she returned him to normal than give an explanation to something that lacks one though?

Watched it again and just now noticed the Xion tidbit about the Xemnas fight. Pretty neat connection. :biggrin:

Time and word count constraints. Also she didn't return Sora to normal. He was still missing his body and soul. That isn't really "normal"

Anagram

Banned
Time and word count constraints. Also she didn't return Sora to normal. He was still missing his body and soul. That isn't really "normal"
Fine then Sora was "purified". I do remember seeing that in an interview/thread somewhere a while back.
Even if he wasn't complete he was still himself which is what I meant by "normal". (because he was his normal self and not the heartless one)

Edit. This is where I saw the purified statement: http://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom...-look-back-director-s-secret-report-xiii.html
Part IX, third paragraph.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Fine then Sora was "purified". I do remember seeing that in an interview/thread somewhere a while back.
Even if he wasn't complete he was still himself which is what I meant by "normal". (because he was his normal self and not the heartless one)

Edit. This is where I saw the purified statement: http://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom...-look-back-director-s-secret-report-xiii.html
Part IX, third paragraph.

And then everyone would ask what exactly it meant to be "purified", or what it meant to be "normal"; Roxas held Sora's body and soul and in that state, regardless of what form he was in, Sora was not normal. People could also take the term "purify" to be that Kairi expelled all of the darkness from Sora's heart, in which case they could misunderstand it as Sora having a pure heart of light, which also is not true.

There's many ways to talk about that event; we just chose the one that we felt would be easiest for everyone to swallow and one that we knew would be correct, rather than to use something we weren't comfortable with.

Anagram

Banned
And then everyone would ask what exactly it meant to be "purified", or what it meant to be "normal"; Roxas held Sora's body and soul and in that state, regardless of what form he was in, Sora was not normal. People could also take the term "purify" to be that Kairi expelled all of the darkness from Sora's heart, in which case they could misunderstand it as Sora having a pure heart of light, which also is not true.

There's many ways to talk about that event; we just chose the one that we felt would be easiest for everyone to swallow and one that we knew would be correct, rather than to use something we weren't comfortable with.

Fair point but thats why it's a nitpick for me. It isn't correct or incorrect because there is nothing stating what exactly happened or what exactly Sora was while in that state correct?

Edit. I dont mean to make it sound like I think it wasn't informative or useful btw. Just discussing something. :frown:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I just want to say that nitpicking on the phrase "walking heart" is pretty silly. Regardless of if you like how that was worded, that is what Sora was after Kairi gave him form again. The videos have to be accessible to everyone and that is quite literally the simplest and easiest way to describe Sora's physical form after Kairi's intervention, lol. It's not like Kairi got his body back from Roxas.

A lot of the other feedback is helpful though!

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I just want to say that nitpicking on the phrase "walking heart" is pretty silly. Regardless of if you like how that was worded, that is what Sora was after Kairi gave him form again. The videos have to be accessible to everyone and that is quite literally the simplest and easiest way to describe Sora's physical form after Kairi's intervention, lol. It's not like Kairi got his body back from Roxas.

Like ouch, that flippant lol, disregard of commentary and last line felt like a shot in the heart? I mean I acknowledged it was a nitpick, I'm not one to argue against consensus until I die; I just kind of wish it had been given more attention but in the grand scheme of things ultimately I don't think it's super important. I just feel like when things aren't totally clarified in canon sources it's better to just say that. But, like, whatever it's been a great series so far. My pick about the pronunciation of Kingdom Hearts is more important to me, in fact is the most important part of that post to me and I already admitted that was crazy.

Anagram

Banned

Well sorry my opinions are silly then. I had no idea the only commentary you wanted was those of praise and agreement. I'll make sure not to bother sharing them anymore. But what was the nitpick wasn't the explanation but that the explanation was passed as fact when in fact there is no stated explanation on the subject at all which tied into the very fact it IS accessible to many. There's nothing backing walking heart over other theories I've seen. (it's one thing to have personal theories, we all do, but it's another matter entirely to pass your own off as fact then call others silly for pointing it out)

But whatever. I'll make sure not to bother with your video thread anymore then.>_>

Like ouch, that flippant lol, disregard of commentary and last line felt like a shot in the heart? I mean I acknowledged it was a nitpick, I'm not one to argue against consensus until I die; I just kind of wish it had been given more attention but in the grand scheme of things ultimately I don't think it's super important. I just feel like when things aren't totally clarified in canon sources it's better to just say that. But, like, whatever it's been a great series so far. My pick about the pronunciation of Kingdom Hearts is more important to me, in fact is the most important part of that post to me and I already admitted that was crazy.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Well sorry my opinions are silly then. I had no idea the only commentary you wanted was those of praise and agreement. I'll make sure not to bother sharing them anymore. But what was the nitpick wasn't the explanation but that the explanation was passed as fact when in fact there is no stated explanation on the subject at all which tied into the very fact it IS accessible to many. There's nothing backing walking heart over other theories I've seen. (it's one thing to have personal theories, we all do, but it's another matter entirely to pass your own off as fact then call others silly for pointing it out)

You're misunderstanding (again). No one said your criticism isn't valid. We just completely fail to understand why all of you seem to take so much offense to our usage of the most commonly used description of Sora's state in that particular period of time. None of you have explained why you feel that way and are just throwing accusations around when people disagree.

So really now, what's the real problem here? Why do you guys dislike the term "walking heart" so much? Was there some kind of universal agreement to stop using that that we just weren't aware of? It's certainly not inaccurate so accusing us of misleading the uninformed isn't the issue. Forgive me for not really understanding your stance, but it just looks like everyone's issue is merely a matter of personal preference rather than anything else.

You're more than welcome to actually tell us what's on your mind, but if you're not going to even try to listen to us when we present our side, then let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Thanks for your comment. That's a good point regarding Ven and why his body was left behind. It is a bit unclear what happens when your heart leaves the body. However, the simplest explanation is that he doesn't have any darkness in his heart and wouldn't therefore be sent to the Realm of Darkness, which is the one we went with in the script. But yours is quite valid and I'll be sure to keep it in mind if it's relevant for the remaining episodes.

I, however, don't really see what the problem is regarding your second point. Because that's exactly the interview quote I used when writing the Vanitas part. We were discussing how Vanitas might still be able to return, since him reappearing in DDD wasn't just YMX pulling him back from the past, but rather him appearing from deep inside Sora, meaning that he wasn't exactly eradicated by Ven.

I'm actually very interested in this, so if I'm missing something here, please let me know :D

Hakan Xatos

Awards
I got to say that was a great video! Okay where to start..

I don't know if I didn't realize it or just missed it, but I always thought that Ventus only joined Sora's heart at the end of BBS. I never realized that Ventus connected with Sora earlier and that's why he got out of his coma. That's also makes sense why Vanitas looks like Sora instead of the other way around. Look forward to hopefully having Vanitas in KH3!

(By the way, have you guys considered the mystery of why Vanitas and Ventus both have keyblades if they're using the same heart?)

Also good explanation of why Roxas looks like Ven but doesn't have memories of either him or Sora. Never thought about Xemnas collecting Sora's memories for making Xion. I always thought he was just testing Sora's strength. Same with Roxas wielding two keyblades. I thought the ability was always there, but needed intense power or strong emotion to use it. Which I guess it was in a way since it was Roxas' intense will to remember Xion that awakened Ven's heart. Does that also mean since Ven's heart was awakened that Roxas could see his memories then? Then again maybe not since Sora didn't.

Good video and I look forward to the next one. On the "walking heart" issue, I refuse to use that term. It's too worn out. I prefer pseudo heartless myself.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
(By the way, have you guys considered the mystery of why Vanitas and Ventus both have keyblades if they're using the same heart?)

When Xehanort splits Ven's light and darkness, he literally splits Ven's heart into two. While the two parts make a whole, they also exist independently from another and so the previously singular heart becomes two. That is why both have Keyblades. It is two individual hearts.

Does that also mean since Ven's heart was awakened that Roxas could see his memories then?

That was such a brief period of time that there was likely no time to tell. But, I would think that since Roxas was his own person by that time with his own heart and memories, he wouldn't have had access to Ven's memories.

I prefer pseudo heartless myself.

"Pseudo" means false, fake, though. Heartless is a heart lost to darkness. Sora was neither fake or a Heartless after Kairi purified the darkness around his heart. To me, your words imply Sora was a false heart lost in darkness. I kind of wish Nomura had given a term for this state of being because its such a metaphysical thing to talk about...

Hakan Xatos

Awards
"Pseudo" means false, fake, though. Heartless is a heart lost to darkness. Sora was neither fake or a Heartless after Kairi purified the darkness around his heart. To me, your words imply Sora was a false heart lost in darkness. I kind of wish Nomura had given a term for this state of being because its such a metaphysical thing to talk about...
Aw it sounded cool though.

How about he was an Enigma's Heart?

Anagram

Banned

You're misunderstanding (again). No one said your criticism isn't valid. We just completely fail to understand why all of you seem to take so much offense to our usage of the most commonly used description of Sora's state in that particular period of time. None of you have explained why you feel that way and are just throwing accusations around when people disagree.

So really now, what's the real problem here? Why do you guys dislike the term "walking heart" so much? Was there some kind of universal agreement to stop using that that we just weren't aware of? It's certainly not inaccurate so accusing us of misleading the uninformed isn't the issue. Forgive me for not really understanding your stance, but it just looks like everyone's issue is merely a matter of personal preference rather than anything else.

You're more than welcome to actually tell us what's on your mind, but if you're not going to even try to listen to us when we present our side, then let's just agree to disagree.
I'm not misunderstanding. No no, I didn't take any offense. Well I didn't until Taochans post. Sorry if it came off as directed or angry to anyone else. I was just discussing my point and replying to responses to my own opinions.
That's just it though. Your site is the only place I've seen this description.

It's not the explanation itself its that there is no official statement on the matter. To throw in ones own personal theory as a fact is misleading. That's all I was pointing out.
It made just as much sense to say exactly what happened there wasn't every clarified and of all the theories and opinions you can find scattered on sites that is the most true statement.
I've seen no one argue against it being a personal theory/explanation of the staff or argue against the fact there is no true clarification on it.

Basically it just feels wrong to me to offer a personal theory as a fact to a video many will find and look to. That is my stance and that is what I was expressing.
This has nothing to do with my own personal theory on the matter or yours even. It was using that personal theory as fact that is the issue I feel.
I don't keep up with interview or stuff myself anymore but I did make a thread recently on the topic just out of curiosity and a staff even pointed out to me there is no explanation of this phenomenon. (the theory they proposed also differed from this one)

I wouldn't be replying if I wasn't listening but in turn it feels like we're not being listened to either because it comes across as attacking the video. It's just an impasse.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Your site is the only place I've seen this description.

It isn't, though. I've seen this thrown out on places like GameFAQs, KHUltimania, KHVids, and other KH sites back when the subject of Sora's heart being purified was a big topic and even after.

The only people I see get hung over the term is fans deep into the canon, so very few casual fans really pay attention to it at all.

Anyways, the video is done with. We can only use the advise and critiques for future videos, which we are taking into serious consideration.

Anagram

Banned
It isn't, though. I've seen this thrown out on places like GameFAQs, KHUltimania, KHVids, and other KH sites back when the subject of Sora's heart being purified was a big topic and even after.

The only people I see get hung over the term is fans deep into the canon, so very few casual fans really pay attention to it at all.

Anyways, the video is done with. We can only use the advise and critiques for future videos, which we are taking into serious consideration.
I've never seen them. But I wouldn't have if it's something that's been posted way back. Still that doesn't change the fact it's a theory.

I'm not so much hung over the term...well I done explained my hang up in the last post. I just don't like the idea of misleading people, or more accurate, inadvertently doing it. I doubt you guys would do it on purpose.

Whatever then I guess. I see no more point to comment either really. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back