• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Root of Your Faith

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Why do believe what you do? Were you raised on a set of beliefs? Did someone you know convert you? Did you go through a traumatic experience?

My aunt, who is a devoted fundamentalist, became a Christian after having her cranium almost chopped in half by a crazy guy during her college years. I only recently learned of this, and I'm curious to know the reason for people's faith.

Some Dude1

wanting a baby... and goin deft from's all's me's
Website
www.myspace.com
Why do believe what you do? Were you raised on a set of beliefs? Did someone you know convert you? Did you go through a traumatic experience?

My aunt, who is a devoted fundamentalist, became a Christian after having her cranium almost chopped in half by a crazy guy during her college years. I only recently learned of this, and I'm curious to know the reason for people's faith.

that.

and i find jesus to be the only one i can turn to in the hard times

Balla

Well I was raised as a Mormon and I followed through till my family learned of life, evolution, and real from fake. I became an atheist because my family told me of the reality in evolution and religion. My family did go through a lot of pain from being a Mormon from telling what to do and what’s right from wrong. My dad went on a mission (every Mormon teenage boy goes on a mission to spread the belief of Mormonism) well my dad went on one, spreading it and living a ok life but once he was done with his mission he went a little crazy not knowing what was real anymore he use to think everyone was good but he started to realize a lot of stuff. My dad realized went through his whole life and kept realizing everything and got to evolution and reality. I became an atheist because the facts and everything my families gone through and what I have gone through. My family wants me to be whatever religion I want and I am an atheist just like them. A whole family of 5 Mormons that turned into atheist that tells you that Mormonism isn't great and can really mess you up.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Well I was raised as a Mormon and I followed through till my family learned of life, evolution, and real from fake. I became an atheist because my family told me of the reality in evolution and religion. My family did go through a lot of pain from being a Mormon from telling what to do and what’s right from wrong. My dad went on a mission (every Mormon teenage boy goes on a mission to spread the belief of Mormonism) well my dad went on one, spreading it and living a ok life but once he was done with his mission he went a little crazy not knowing what was real anymore he use to think everyone was good but he started to realize a lot of stuff. My dad realized went through his whole life and kept realizing everything and got to evolution and reality. I became an atheist because the facts and everything my families gone through and what I have gone through. My family wants me to be whatever religion I want and I am an atheist just like them. A whole family of 5 Mormons that turned into atheist that tells you that Mormonism isn't great and can really mess you up.

No, that just tells us that your family experience was not great.

Balla

No, that just tells us that your family experience was not great.

But being a Mormon really help change a lot of things and had a lot of effect on causing pain to us.
By the way i am not anti-mormon i was just saying we have chosen to become atheist because the things we have learned and studied.
My mind is open to anything!

Last edited:

New2Ya

I'm lost...
For me it's definetly the way my parents raised me, allowing me to freely choose what I believe. They allowed me to question their belief (Christians) and they themselves question their belief too. We're not really Christians at this point.

My parents don't believe in most the Christian religion, which obviously doesnt really make them Christian.

For me, I have my own set of ideas. Honestly, I think believing in a God is nothing more than the need to. Yes, being raised in a certain religion helps making you believe in Him, but when you have the chance to question, it has more to do if you feel the need to believe in God.

I am perfectly happy with the way the world is. I believe that you make your life. It kinda works like that whole media hype thing The Secret, which I found funny that I always believed in that even before the book was written, and now suddenly so many people are like "OH MY GOOOOD!" Yeah, kinda funny.

Life is simple. It's complex because of the choices you make. You can either decide to sit and wait and find comfort with Jesus or God, or you get that from yourself. Basically, in both ways, you get the comfort from yourself, but in a certain belief, that comfort in yourself is being portrayed in God or Jesus.

That's how I see it.

But anyways, my roots are from my parents but also from my own life experience and need.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
that.

and i find jesus to be the only one i can turn to in the hard times

hmmm.

that says something, if all you can find solace in in the more difficult times is a noncorporeal being that may (or MAY NOT) exist.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
hmmm.

that says something, if all you can find solace in in the more difficult times is a noncorporeal being that may (or MAY NOT) exist.

He did make a Help thread.

Atlas, I'd like to know the basis of your Christian faith.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I was brought up in a Mormon family. We went to church and everything, but I can't say we were ever all that devout compared to others. Me, especially. I remember dreading going there as a child, because I was always so bored and didn't care too much about what I was supposed to be learning there. Still, I think I did believe in something back then.

When I was around 10, my father got on bad terms with the insititution and we pretty much stopped going on a regular basis. I think it might have had an influence on me, because a while after that, I just didn't see the logic in what I was being told any more.

I'd consider myself agnostic, I guess, though I'm not fully sure of what I believe in anymore.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Atlas, I'd like to know the basis of your Christian faith.

Well, it's not so simple really. I guess to make a long story short, through my studies of various religions and secular works, personal experiences and experiences of those close to me, what I see every day with my own eyes, etc.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!

Real=Darwin

Fake=Jesus

Me=Athiest

Insults=coming at me very soon no doubt.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Real=Darwin

Fake=Jesus

Me=Athiest

Insults=coming at me very soon no doubt.

It's interesting to mention that even after publishing Origin of Species, Darwin still believed in (a) God, and it was only later that he leant towards atheism after the death of his daughter.

(In fact, most Victorians did; accommodating science into their religion.)

This loosely indicates that our religious beliefs are mostly founded on our own experiences, a logic we can conduct ourselves, rather than a logic of science.

I know that it is for me. There are many arguments I can give here, but I don't have the time at the moment.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Mine is fairly similar to Forever Atlas (though I'm sure that my range of knowledge is to a lesser degree than his) plus the fact that I was raised that way and have some very intelligent Christian teachers.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I've had a lot of things happen in my life that I can't simply credit to coincidence.
But uh, I personally became a Christian after my parents met (step-parent x parent) and he invited my family to his church, where I got to learn and stuff and it was a really fun and loving church where I got a lot of love and support, and I still go to today. Though before that my family was Catholic, though of course, like almost every other Catholic, we hardly did anything associated to what Christianity taught.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back