• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The requirements to being emo?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Crashing

Inferno - R.I.P <3
Awards
OK, sorry to rain on your "Emo" parade, but Emo stands for Emotional and Emotionally Hardcore.
You don't exactly have to wear black or dakr cloths to be emo, you just have to have, well, very very strong emotions. Like hyper happy, really sad, etc. Its like over abundance for the circumstance. But that isn't always true either.
And Emo is a style, but thats just because the people that are truly emo invented it and they wear it because they like the way it feels and the way they look, not because its in style. In fact, they were wearing it before it came in style.
Not all emo's cut themselves, thats why there is a sub-class called Cutters.
A lot of Goth and Emo things do blend together, like the most of them do wear darker cloths. But where the emo style is tighter the Goth is generally baggy. Ex: TRIPP pants and Merlyn Manson T-shits = Goth; and Tight Jeans (of any color, shade, fashion) and a Green Day T-shirt = Emo. Of course, those are just the stero-types. There are plenty of people that are in thhe catagory of Emo that don't do either.
There isn't exactly a loss of brain cells, its more like they are misunderstood, for real, and some of them just want attention. But not all, and I stress the not all. And a lot of them are in fact taken for granted for the things they do. Has an emo kid ever helped you out in some way and you never actually said thank you or spoke to them again after?
Hell, anyone that helps me out I talk to regularly. Emo, prep, Goth, anything.
But why do yall care so much about the labels? The only reason I care is becase other people care and its necesarry for writing Novels. And beyond that, for the real world, I couldn't care less. People are people and you should just accept them for who they are or shun them for who they are, not what people say they are.
Besides, I'm Emo. ^^ I just don't cut, listen to hard core music, I rarely write poetry, but I do write lyrics. But thats because I'm in several music programs like band and I sing for the church, and I don't mind wearing eye-liner, as long as the girl thats putting it on me thinks it looks OK. ((ha ha, yea, I'm a big flirt)).
So, the whole stero-type thing is retarded. As for the non-conformity part, they don't do it just to do it, they do it because they believe that people should think for themselves, which they should, and not like something and act a certain way just because everyone else does. Like shunning that one kid at school because he's different.
Or what ever.
And I've been rambling so I'm gonna shut up now before I dig myself any deeper in this already 20 foot hole..... I wish I brought a ladder.

I havent seen you in forever, and i didnt know you were emo XD.

Labels suck, thats just how it goes. Before last year, i din't even have a label, I hung out with everybody. But then when I started going out with my current girlfriend,(Yes she is emo, and she is a cutter, well known cutter too) people started to realize how i dreesed and what I looked like. It's funny how they only noticed agter I started dating my girlfreind.

Crimson Crashing

Inferno - R.I.P <3
Awards
I actually just made it up.

So, yeah, now someone is actually probably going to make one.

[ ] i like skinny jeans
[x] music is my life.
[x] i write poetry/song lyrics
[x] my hair covers part of my face. (or i wish)
[x] i wear band shirts.
[ ] i know who Jeffree Star is.
[x] i wear/wore Converse.
[x] i wear/wore vans
[x] i wear/have worn eyeliner.
[x] I listen to Saves The Day, Chiodos, Thursday and/or Gym Class Heroes.

Total: 8

[ ] I'm/was in a band.
[ ] my Multiply screen name has an x in it
[x] I understand that My Chemical Romance is not emo
[x] I also understand that Green Day is not emo
[x] I know what mosh means.
[x] I sit in corners often
[x] I dislike MTV
[x] I take pictures of myself a lot
[x] Especially ones when you can't see my whole face

Total: 7

[x] I'm lost without a CD player/MP3 player/ IPod
[x] I know that emo is not just a stereotype
[x] I have/had thick rimmed glasses
[x] I have/had issues with bi/gay people
[x] I hate the president
[x] I have/had a mohawk
[x] I wear/have worn black nail polish-(Girlfriend put it on me, XD)
[X] I hate my mom
[X] I hate my dad(step)
[x] I hate where i live
[x] Black is a great color
[x] I do/have cut myself

Total: 12

[x] Right now, I am listening to music
[ ] I know what hxc and sxe mean
[ ] Multiply=love
[x] Hot Topic doesn't scare me
[x] I wear/have worn studded belts
[ ] I have/had a body part signed by a band
[ ] I've cried while listening to Dashboard Confessional
[ ] For Guys: I have kissed another guy
[ ] For girls: I have worn skinny jeans
[x] I have/had dyed my hair black
[x] My closet is mostly filled with black or dark clothes
[ ] I cry a lot
[x] I write on myself
[x] I have been called emo before
[x] I've done drugs before
[x] I listen to undiscovered bands

Total: 9

Total the totals
Times your overall by 3 and that is how emo you are
Post this as: I am___ % emo

I am 108% emo

does that even make sense??

Riku's New Look

The Land of The Fallen Angels (Houston, TX)
Website
www.angelscraft.proboards85.com
I havent seen you in forever, and i didnt know you were emo XD.

Labels suck, thats just how it goes. Before last year, i din't even have a label, I hung out with everybody. But then when I started going out with my current girlfriend,(Yes she is emo, and she is a cutter, well known cutter too) people started to realize how i dreesed and what I looked like. It's funny how they only noticed agter I started dating my girlfreind.
lol, at my old school I hung out with everyone too. But at this new schoool (I moved recently) I am a bit shy because I don't know anyone, and I was living with my grand parents, but I have a feeling when school starts up again I'll be my normal self and makes frie3nds with everyone and become a man whore again.
And I; sorry, bwak, it has been forever. I don't get on much, usually too busy, but lately I thought about KHI and I come back every day and spend a vast amont of time on it, even if I'm no0t posting a whole bunch.

Crimson Crashing

Inferno - R.I.P <3
Awards
Ehh
I barely post on the site.
I just screw around and see what everybody else is talking about. And If I feel I need to input my opinion, I do.

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards
lol, uh, well, I'm definitely not emo, but I have the "tight clothes and long-ish hair (possibly covering face)" symptoms, only because my head is kind of round and I look like a fat piece of shit if I don't have them.
Although, I'm not mistaken for an emo, as I suppose I have a fashion sense, haha.

Last edited:

Sir Willis

At my computer. How would I be on this forum if I
The word emo comes from an English corruption of the word emu, used to denote a sound like that of an emu's death squawk.

Ex: As the seventeen-ton piano collapsed onto Ms. Crabtree's joyless septegenarian body, she let out a horrendous emo that was heard miles away.
Nowadays, the term refers to a sub-genre of insanely depressing music and one eyed haircuts invented by accident by the maverick comedian Emo Phillips. This genre of music is widely acknowledged to be a particularly virulent form of crap.
The word "emo" in Latin means 'to buy, purchase'. However, what this has to do with anything has not yet been discovered, though Torchwood believes it is close to an answer. Perhaps it is a small reference to the assorted blades that they use on themselves.
Dr. Johannes Emo is considered the father of the emo movement. The only work he published during his lifetime, Paradise Found (1916), remained a cult classic until the early 21st century, when young adults across America discovered it in the back rooms of small libraries. Their modernized interpretation of these theories resulted in what today is known as the emo movement.
Natural Habitat
Emos love dark places. They are often found in large, expensive mansions living with their parents. They go to their local high school and are preyed on by ninja Teletubbies. They soon fall into deep depression and then hang out with their friends outside at the local Burger King and never grab a bite like a true consumer, and mope around.
Another place of interest is, in fact, their own bathroom. They derive entertainment out of taking pictures of the reflections of themselves, often showing the camera flash, and occasionally their scars. This has proven another fact. The fact is that emos are horrible photographers. With all this in mind, common logic would be to shun them from society, or throw them into a pack of wild wolves. It should also be noted that if one were to want to see an example of an emo, all they would have to do is look on MySpace.

I'd quote more of it, but it's over 5 pages long, so yeah.

Riku's New Look

Website
I'd quote more of it, but it's over 5 pages long, so yeah.
No disrespect Nicrixshant, but that is so full of crap. Where did you get that? Wikipedia? My god, I'm actually wearing all white right now, and I said in an earlier post that I am Emo. That doesn't mean that I cut myself or any of that crap. In fact I am poor and I don't have a "One eye haircut". Seriously, some of that information may be right, but I am sure taht is a very small percentage. Look around at the people in the High schools that are classified as Emo. Ask them if they consider themselves Emo. Ask a lot of people, take a sign that says "Are you Emo?" And find out how many people say yes. Take my Definition of Emo and give to the ones that ask what Emo is. Actually, I think I'll do that as en experiment.
Again, no disrespect, but seriousy, your source is crap. Not you, just the sourse. :)

Edit after reading the whole thing: Crap like this is the reason why the holocaust started. Good job, Hitler.

Last edited:

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
No disrespect Nicrixshant, but that is so full of crap. Where did you get that? Wikipedia? My god, I'm actually wearing all white right now, and I said in an earlier post that I am Emo. That doesn't mean that I cut myself or any of that crap. In fact I am poor and I don't have a "One eye haircut". Seriously, some of that information may be right, but I am sure taht is a very small percentage. Look around at the people in the High schools that are classified as Emo. Ask them if they consider themselves Emo. Ask a lot of people, take a sign that says "Are you Emo?" And find out how many people say yes. Take my Definition of Emo and give to the ones that ask what Emo is. Actually, I think I'll do that as en experiment.
Again, no disrespect, but seriousy, your source is crap. Not you, just the sourse. :)

Edit after reading the whole thing: Crap like this is the reason why the holocaust started. Good job, Hitler.
You're an idiot for labeling yourself in the first place. And it's really ****ing pointless to try and argue the definition of a specific stereotype. It's simplified and generalized for a goddamn reason, and when you put the label over your own head (still don't understand why anyone would label themselves) you're asking for people to associate you with those generalizations.

People love coming up with their own definitions of a "real" emo; usually these definitions are descriptions of their own personalities. Why don't you just be whoever the hell you are and, ya know, not try to shift some pathetic label onto your personality?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
You hookers can't do it right.
Cut down the stream, not across the river.

[ ] i like skinny jeans
[x] music is my life.
[x] my hair covers part of my face. (or i wish)
[x] i wear band shirts.
[ ] i wear/wore Converse.
[x] i wear/wore vans
[ ] i wear/have worn eyeliner.
[x] I listen to Saves The Day, Chiodos, Thursday and/or Gym Class Heroes.

Total: 6

[x] I'm/was in a band.
[ ] I sit in corners often
[x] I dislike MTV
[ ] I take pictures of myself a lot
[ ] Especially ones when you can't see my whole face

Total: 11

[x] I know that emo is not just a stereotype
[ ] I have/had thick rimmed glasses
[ ] I have/had issues with bi/gay people
[x] I hate the president
[ ] I have/had a mohawk
[ ] I wear/have worn black nail polish
[X] I hate my mom
[X] I hate my dad(step)
[ ] I hate where i live
[x] Black is a great color
[ ] I do/have cut myself

Total: 17

[ ] Right now, I am listening to music
[ ] Multiply=love
[x] I have/had a body part signed by a band
[ ] For girls: I have worn skinny jeans
[ ] I have/had dyed my hair black
[x] My closet is mostly filled with black or dark clothes
[ ] I cry a lot
[ ] I write on myself
[x] I have been called emo before
[ ] I've done drugs before

Total: 23

Total the totals

I am 69% emo

69 ftw.

Last edited:

Riku's New Look

Website
You're an idiot for labeling yourself in the first place. And it's really ****ing pointless to try and argue the definition of a specific stereotype. It's simplified and generalized for a goddamn reason, and when you put the label over your own head (still don't understand why anyone would label themselves) you're asking for people to associate you with those generalizations.

People love coming up with their own definitions of a "real" emo; usually these definitions are descriptions of their own personalities. Why don't you just be whoever the hell you are and, ya know, not try to shift some pathetic label onto your personality?
Its not me I'm describing. Its the people I have seen and met and known from all the schools that I have been to: 2 Elementry, a middle school, 2 High schools. And its the same. There are hardly any of those stereo types.
For example: how many football playesr are really as dumb as people think, or cheer leaders? How many nerds/Geeks don't have friends or sit around playing D&D all day? How many Goths/Emos go out and shoot people like Columbine?
Let me tell you the answer: Slim to none. Those are the people that are just looking for excuses for their own bad behavior. And as for the lable, I don't label myself, its one of the labels that has been put on me, simply for wearing black, having eye-liner on, writing any kind of literater, being sad or depressed because someone I know died or something is going wrong in my life and I felt like everything was going wrong so I started to cry or get angry at people who were making it just that much harder. Don't judge me before you even know me, OK? The point of it is that I can be perfectly rational and write what ever I want and dress the way I want, and act the way I want with out being sterotyped. People tell me that its hard to classify me so why try right?
If you wanna get down to it here it: I'm Emo because I don't mind wearing eye liner and I write literature and I enjoy doing so. I'm goth because I have baggy black cloths; I'm a prep because I like looking nice; I'm a jock because I like to play and watch soccer and football. I'm a nerd/geek because I'm smart and I don't mind school.
So do you get my point? The stupidity of some bull thing from Wikipedia that was written by some jerk that thinks that all stero types are right 100% of the time.

Riku's New Look

Website
-sigh- your right, Morning star.
yall, I'm sorry. I'm on edge today because of some stuff thats going on and I don't like it when people post retarded stuff about a sterotype or any groupf of people that is just fine once you get to know them.
And I'm sorry for spazzing at ya. :p I think I'll go back to my happy self. xD
OK, anyway, about the EMo thing from Wiki that I didn't like, it was pretty funny, I'll admit it now that I've calmed down. xD
@ INsoulent: Did you read anything?
THe stero types are just the ones that get noticed and written down. The real ones of any stero type are generally nothing like what people say they are.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Morningstar said:
I don't even know where to begin.

lol, that's why I didn't even try.

I just want to do this.

[ ] i like skinny jeans
[x] music is my life.
[ ] my hair covers part of my face. (or i wish)
[ ] i wear band shirts.
[ ] i wear/wore vans
[ ] I listen to Saves The Day, Chiodos, Thursday and/or Gym Class Heroes.

Total: 4

[ ] I'm/was in a band.
[x] I dislike MTV

[ ] I know that emo is not just a stereotype
[x] I hate the president
[ ] I have/had a mohawk
[ ] I hate my mom
[ ] I hate my dad(step)
[x] I hate where i live
[ ] Black is a great color
[ ] I do/have cut myself

[ ] Multiply=love
[x] For girls: I have worn skinny jeans (uh..since when was this emo? they look nice with boots!) D:
[ ] My closet is mostly filled with black or dark clothes
[ ] I cry a lot
[x] I write on myself
[ ] I have been called emo before

Total: 18

Total the totals

I am 54% emo

...huh.

Riku's New Look

Website
lol, that's why I didn't even try.

I just want to do this.

[ ] i like skinny jeans
[x] music is my life.
[ ] my hair covers part of my face. (or i wish)
[ ] i wear band shirts.
[ ] i wear/wore vans
[ ] I listen to Saves The Day, Chiodos, Thursday and/or Gym Class Heroes.

Total: 4

[ ] I'm/was in a band.
[x] I dislike MTV

[ ] I know that emo is not just a stereotype
[x] I hate the president
[ ] I have/had a mohawk
[ ] I hate my mom
[ ] I hate my dad(step)
[x] I hate where i live
[ ] Black is a great color
[ ] I do/have cut myself

[ ] Multiply=love
[x] For girls: I have worn skinny jeans (uh..since when was this emo? they look nice with boots!) D:
[ ] My closet is mostly filled with black or dark clothes
[ ] I cry a lot
[x] I write on myself
[ ] I have been called emo before

Total: 18

Total the totals

I am 54% emo

...huh.
DOn't muliply it by three, just by two. If you can think of some add like 2 more, cuz there is only like 48 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back