• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► The Rebuilding of Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
luminous looks like a pixar movie
I never thought so. Looking at the pictures and trailers, everything in it looked fake and poorly constructed rather than an actual living, breathing world. It was early days, but Twilight Town had little to no improvements, and it wouldn't surprise me if the announcement trailer featured the Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts 2 with a new coat of paint on it. I never found the Destiny Islands part to be impressive either. It fell flat for me in terms of design since it didn't look or feel like "Kingdom Hearts", and it certainly didn't look like a Pixar movie.
There's only one video game out there I've ever seen that's been constantly compared to a Pixar movie and it doesn't feature a boy with his duck and dog, but rather a robot and a Lombax named Ratchet.

I'm sure it would have been improved over time during development, but considering how hard Luminous is to work with and how vastly different each world is, we would probably be really far out from Kingdom Hearts 3 rather than being close like we are now.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I never thought so. Looking at the pictures and trailers, everything in it looked fake rather than worldly. I'm sure it would have been improved over time during development, but considering how hard Luminous is to work with and how vastly different each world is, we would probably be really far out from Kingdom Hearts 3 rather than being close like we are now.

i should have specified, an old pixar movie. you know that signature style that was in the old shorts? maybe its just me, idk. UE4 makes it look like an actual game tho, i like it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
i should have specified, an old pixar movie. you know that signature style that was in the old shorts? maybe its just me, idk. UE4 makes it look like an actual game tho, i like it.
Personally, I feel that Geri's Game was ahead of Luminous KHIII.

600full-geris-game-screenshot.jpg
9shrTve.jpg

This isn't a good thing for me because they shouldn't have been trying to use Luminous to reach movie quality. Like you said, in Unreal Engine it looks and feels more like a game which is what they should have aimed for at the start.

At least they realised it and got out quickly unlike poor Final Fantasy XV which has faced issues since it's start in 2012.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Personally, I feel that Geri's Game was ahead of Luminous KHIII.

600full-geris-game-screenshot.jpg
9shrTve.jpg

This isn't a good thing for me because they shouldn't have been trying to use Luminous to reach movie quality. Like you said, in Unreal Engine it looks and feels more like a game which is what they should have aimed for at the start.

At least they realised it and got out quickly unlike poor Final Fantasy XV which has faced issues since it's start in 2012.

luminous engine was doomed, square wanted to make everything look like a prerendered opening and they made their options pretty pre rendered in the end.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Hm... I'm not surprised that Luminous KH3 was going for that movie look. Wasn't that what they were going for, to make the game have the look and feel of a Disney movie?

Not that I think that it would've been better like that. KH3 needs to develop its own identity, even though almost everything about it will come from a pre-existing source. Just like it always has.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Hm... I'm not surprised that Luminous KH3 was going for that movie look. Wasn't that what they were going for, to make the game have the look and feel of a Disney movie?

Not that I think that it would've been better like that. KH3 needs to develop its own identity, even though almost everything about it will come from a pre-existing source. Just like it always has.

the problem was, by going towards one art style (that shonen look kh2 is famous for), many worlds will look out of place like shrek in finding nemo.

unreal engine looks just as gorgeous but more like a game; a little rough and sharp but it lends to it quiye well. not to mention the kingdom shader, which is supposed to alter the effects and atmosphere slightly for each world so it feels like you're in the world without drastically altering the base of it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I believe they wanted each world to have the same look as the Disney films, which was to be achieved with the Kingdom Shader. I can't remember the last time they talked about the Shader after the swap to Unreal so I don't know whether it's been scrapped or hasn't been implemented, since Mount Olympus and Kingdom of Corona look similar in style.

The thing that made the Kingdom Hearts series was that despite all the Disney properties having distinct looks in the films, they all still managed to have a unified look in the Kingdom Hearts series while still standing out. Of course, this failed at some parts (Port Royal) but I think for the most part it was highly successful. Kingdom Hearts III seemed like they wanted to expand and try something new, but they might have back-peddled on that with the engine swap, since they're also bringing in a lot of news things.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I believe they wanted each world to have the same look as the Disney films, which was to be achieved with the Kingdom Shader. I can't remember the last time they talked about the Shader after the swap to Unreal so I don't know whether it's been scrapped or hasn't been implemented, since Mount Olympus and Kingdom of Corona look similar in style.

The thing that made the Kingdom Hearts series was that despite all the Disney properties having distinct looks in the films, they all still managed to have a unified look in the Kingdom Hearts series while still standing out. Of course, this failed at some parts (Port Royal) but I think for the most part it was highly successful. Kingdom Hearts III seemed like they wanted to expand and try something new, but they might have back-peddled on that with the engine swap, since they're also bringing in a lot of news things.

i think III is gonna be their major redeemer. they seem to really be taking care and putting careful consideration into even the smallest of details. and to be fair, Mount Olympus didnt have the same hercules look as past titles so i believe it wasn't finished, more likely they weren't showcasing KS and it wasnt prepared.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
i think III is gonna be their major redeemer. they seem to really be taking care and putting careful consideration into even the smallest of details. and to be fair, Mount Olympus didnt have the same hercules look as past titles so i believe it wasn't finished, more likely they weren't showcasing KS and it wasnt prepared.
Well we've never seen Mount Olympus before so there's no way to tell how different exactly the known locations of that world look. If they showed the Underworld or a (partially) rebuilt coliseum then I think we could make a good judgement into how different the Hercules look is. But for now I can't see any resemblance of any shader (and it's always noticeable when a shader is applied to a different part of a game, like when instead of the usual Lego look, the Scooby Doo world had Cel Shading) in any of the footage which makes me think it might be scrapped or not implemented.

My memory is crap. I'm sure they've talked about the Shader since December 2014 but I just can't recall it.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
it'd be a shame if they scrapped the shader but considering we've never seen it in action it wont be missed.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
it'd be a shame if they scrapped the shader but considering we've never seen it in action it wont be missed.
You've seen how people get over 5 seconds of a concept called Stella who wasn't even imperative to the first Final Fantasy Versus XIII game that she was able to be cut out with ease.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
You've seen how people get over 5 seconds of a concept called Stella who wasn't even imperative to the first Final Fantasy Versus XIII game that she was able to be cut out with ease.

okay, i should probably apologize because i perpetuated that myself a few times, but it was meant to be funny.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I actually miss Stella but rather because the other characters look so boring and I still don't get why there was no possibility to include her.
#FreeStella2007 was it, right?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I actually miss Stella but rather because the other characters look so boring and I still don't get why there was no possibility to include her.
#FreeStella2007 was it, right?
Final Fantasy Versus XIII was intended to be a series rather than a single entry into the Final Fantasy world. Nomura wanted to create "A World of the VERSUS Epic" but when Square Enix actually wanted the game to release and put Tabata in charge, the decision to make it into a single entry was made.

Since the story was meant to cover a variety of entries, the story had to be scaled back. During this time it was deemed that Stella had no place in this new story. This could be because she didn't have that big of a role in Versus XIII and they couldn't bring forth her storyline, who she was and her motivations had no place in the new story, or she lacked depth to create a compelling character in a condensed story. It's hard to pinpoint what it could be because since we knew so little and nothing was ever released about her except for some concept trailers.

In the end, instead of wasting her design which was favourable among the fans since they grew attached to it, they took the visuals of "Stella" and tweaked it (which caused and still causes outrage) and she was given a brand new role and name, one that much more suited for this new story.

Ventus123

I just want Ventus for the playable character to finish Xehanort forever and kick organization's asses

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
In the end, instead of wasting her design which was favourable among the fans since they grew attached to it, they took the visuals of "Stella" and tweaked it (which caused and still causes outrage) and she was given a brand new role and name, one that much more suited for this new story.

I know why they did it, but I don't understand it.
My problem probably is that so far, I see no girls in the game except a barbie doll and a Cidney who looks like something I don't wanna say. Stella just looked more badass than Luna. Meh.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Aah, so they had to start from scratch when they changed the engine. Good thing that everything seems to be going smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back