• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The "Real" Villain of Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knehcs

This is unlikely and far-fetched but still an interesting observation I've come to find. Each numbered title, including Birth by Sleep (which has been compared to a numbered title as Kingdom Hearts 0 numerous times), changed or introduced the overarching villain of the entire series. Will Kingdom Hearts III pull the same stunt?

Kingdom Hearts introduced us to Ansem, Seeker of Darkness as the primary antagonist. In Kingdom Hearts II, we learn that Ansem, Seeker of Darkness was just a smaller pawn in the story-- Xehanort was the true villain. In Birth by Sleep, we come to find that Xehanort was actually Terra-Xehanort all along and Master Xehanort was the one pulling the strings from the beginning. Will Kingdom Hearts III follow the trend? Is there some larger force that drives Master Xehanort that we'll eventually face? Was Master Xehanort possessed/cloned/split from/by another? Will the story get that much more ridiculous?

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I believe this "being a pawn of someone else" thing should come to a stop with MX. We know that the supposed main villain in KH1, Maleficent, ended up used by Ansem SoD. Then, Ansem SoD and Xemnas (and YX, too) were revealed to "work for" MX himself. It would, in my opinion, kind of stretch it too far to have MX actually be yet another chess piece of an unknown higher-up.

There is a possibility of that happening, but I think that'd just be under-mediocre writing since the motif has been used to death. MX should be the highest-up. It's possible that in the next saga there would be a group of people trying to take advantage of the damages done to the worlds brought about by MX's actions and wreak havoc, but as for MX being a pawn... nope, sorry, can't say that's a good card to pull.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Make it stop with Master Xehanort, but I would accept it if they made Kingdom Hearts control MX and all the darkness was brought about by this "door to light".

Javelin434

Awards
I believe this "being a pawn of someone else" thing should come to a stop with MX. We know that the supposed main villain in KH1, Maleficent, ended up used by Ansem SoD. Then, Ansem SoD and Xemnas (and YX, too) were revealed to "work for" MX himself. It would, in my opinion, kind of stretch it too far to have MX actually be yet another chess piece of an unknown higher-up.

There is a possibility of that happening, but I think that'd just be under-mediocre writing since the motif has been used to death. MX should be the highest-up. It's possible that in the next saga there would be a group of people trying to take advantage of the damages done to the worlds brought about by MX's actions and wreak havoc, but as for MX being a pawn... nope, sorry, can't say that's a good card to pull.

Make it stop with Master Xehanort, but I would accept it if they made Kingdom Hearts control MX and all the darkness was brought about by this "door to light".
Essentially this. Make the whole "hahahahaha! BEHOLD!!!! I'M the greater evul doer!!!!" thing stop...

State

Awards
There was a theory suggesting that Ansem's the Guardian Heartless is the mastermind behind everything because he's a parasite that has been manipulating Xehanort in order to infect the Realm of Light with more and more darkness for his parasitical satisfaction.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
This plot device really shouldn't be overused too much.
Especially
since we already had it so often during the course of the series another "bigger bad" behind the big bad might only cause some yawning or "not again"-reactions from the audience rather than outright shock or surprise from the "revelation".

Additionally, Master Xehanort was beefed up and presented as THE big bad of the whole series so far in more than one game and way more than Maleficent, Ansem and Xemnas ever were.
Going back on MX as the main villain after all this build-up over multiple titles at the last minute is very likely to result in way more negative reaction than i.e. Maleficent being supplanted by Ansem in KH 1 or the "Ansem was not really Ansem and Xemnas is connected to him"-shtick they pulled in KH 2.

Tailikku1

Awards
I have reason to beleive that Maleficent may be the one pulling the strings on Xehanort considering that she refers to herself as the mistress of all evil in series and in her source material. Or to be on a much grander scale, those powers of hell turning her into the dragon in BbS could have been a gift from the more powerful Chernabog, the devil himself, from whom all evil is spawned.

State

Awards
This plot device really shouldn't be overused too much.
I concur. First it was Maleficent, then Ansem is above her, then Xemnas is above them and finally Master Xehanort. They should really stay with MX, seeing as how everything ties down to him: Maleficent was told by XEHANORT that she should gather the Seven Princesses of Pure Hearts, Ansem (XEHANORT'S Heartless) was pulling her strings in KH1 and Xemnas (XEHANORT'S Nobody) was orchestrating everything in CoM, Days and KH2.

I have reason to beleive that Maleficent may be the one pulling the strings on Xehanort considering that she refers to herself as the mistress of all evil in series and in her source material. Or to be on a much grander scale, those powers of hell turning her into the dragon in BbS could have been a gift from the more powerful Chernabog, the devil himself, from whom all evil is spawned.

I think that, back when the original KH was being planned, Chernabog was supposed to be the villain of the series.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I have reason to beleive that Maleficent may be the one pulling the strings on Xehanort considering that she refers to herself as the mistress of all evil in series and in her source material.

In actuality, though, it was actually Xehanort who was pulling the strings on Maleficent.

During the climactic gathering in the Round Room in DDD said:
Mickey: I couldn't find a way to save 'em. But I wanted to believe that their sacrifice stopped you for good. Why? How was I so blind? I should've seen it, as soon as Maleficent started gathering the seven princesses of heart.

Xehanort: Yes. They were all my doing. I used the evil fairy to find seven pure lights for me, just as I prepared thirteen vessels to fill with pure darkness.

The "Mistress of All Evil" is just a title she adorned herself with, really, and it practically meant nothing. It might be parallel to me claiming myself as the inventor of all firearms in the world, while unbeknownst to me, someone else is actually using me as his tool from behind the scenes, making an even more destructive weapon using my firearms to wage a one-man war against the world.

Last edited:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
The villain switch-a-roo has already been pulled three times now. It's to the point that a lot of fans are half expecting it to happen again (e.g., like with the theory about the Guardian being the true villain which has been around for a while). Rather than try and shock us with a new villain I think the simplest expectation is what they've already shown is the likely the scenario: most of the main/notable villains we've encountered throughout the series will come together for a final showdown.

The ones we know of on Team MX:
MX, Ansem SoD, Xemnas, YMX, Braig/Xigbar, Isa/Saix, and probably Vanitas

Maleficent and Pete. Potentially some other Disney villains.

Then as an extention, I suspect that rather than getting a new monster type they'll try and find a way to fit all the ones we've encountered up till now-Heartless, Nobodies, Unversed, and Dream Eaters.

I don't think there's a need to pull another villain switch-a-roo. We already have a dozen or so villains from throughout the series that I think we'd gladly want to beat up again~

State

Awards
The villain switch-a-roo has already been pulled three times now. It's to the point that a lot of fans are half expecting it to happen again (e.g., like with the theory about the Guardian being the true villain which has been around for a while). Rather than try and shock us with a new villain I think the simplest expectation is what they've already shown is the likely the scenario: most of the main/notable villains we've encountered throughout the series will come together for a final showdown.

The ones we know of on Team MX:
MX, Ansem SoD, Xemnas, YMX, Braig/Xigbar, Isa/Saix, and probably Vanitas

Maleficent and Pete. Potentially some other Disney villains.

Then as an extention, I suspect that rather than getting a new monster type they'll try and find a way to fit all the ones we've encountered up till now-Heartless, Nobodies, Unversed, and Dream Eaters.

I don't think there's a need to pull another villain switch-a-roo. We already have a dozen or so villains from throughout the series that I think we'd gladly want to beat up again~

Yeah, and with how much deep Nomura has made Xehanort's character, he can't get any deeper than orchestrating tragical events that have transpired for more than a decade because of an unethical research he is developing.

Zven

I honestly hope it doesn't, and no more time travel stuff please.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I honestly hope it doesn't, and no more time travel stuff please.

Time travel has to happen again if the 13 Seekers of Darkness are going to reunite again in the Keyblade Graveyard.

Chernabog was going to be the original villain of KH waaaaay back when they were conceptualizing the game. They changed it to Ansem: Seeker of Darkness.

Also Maleficent is merely a dark fairy whose was vengeful at the others of her kind who ostracized her. Her desires were turned to the Darkness and the power it could bring her, and then in KH, it was Xehanort who told her there was much to be explored outside of her world and she'd find great power in the Princesses of Heart. Xehanort has manipulated everything. Not Maleficent.

In KH1, when Maleficent's role had been fulfilled, Ansem: Seeker of Darkness pretty much stabs her in the heart to unleash the Darkness in her, knowing full well that SDG would probably put an end to her.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I don't want another villain switch, mostly because I want there to be a true closure. This is the final game in the saga, meaning having the villain change yet again, would be tantamount to a "hijacked" ending, similar to The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. I want Master Xehanort, the orchestrator of everything that has gone wrong in this saga, to be the final villain of KH3. And in the unlikely event it does happen, the only person in the series I see that could do so would be Vanitas.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Overused practiced as it may be, the "true villain" practice isn't that bad if it's used correctly. I like the idea of Guardian (or maybe even RF) being the true puppeteer because it really questions if one can control the darkness, or if that control is merely an illusion.

Maleficent thought she could use the darkness by controlling the Heartless, but it ended up using her; having MX being a pawn himself this whole time would be more or less the same.

Sorarocks93

Awards
It would be lame if there was a bigger threat than MX in KH III. Unless that threat is another version of himself of course.

You say that over the course of the franchise we learn that Ansem SoD and Xemnas were pawns of Xehanort who was actually Terranort who was actually MX, but in truth they are all the same person. We have been fighting the same being since the beginning, he has the same conscience which in turn means they all think the same. Xemnas and Ansem SoD is just MX split into two. They all want Kingdom Hearts so they can reach higher existence.

It didn't matter if Xemnas or Ansem SoD would do it first, MX would still be the winner.

Ruran

Awards
It would be lame if there was a bigger threat than MX in KH III. Unless that threat is another version of himself of course.

You say that over the course of the franchise we learn that Ansem SoD and Xemnas were pawns of Xehanort who was actually Terranort who was actually MX, but in truth they are all the same person. We have been fighting the same being since the beginning, he has the same conscience which in turn means they all think the same. Xemnas and Ansem SoD is just MX split into two. They all want Kingdom Hearts so they can reach higher existence.

It didn't matter if Xemnas or Ansem SoD would do it first, MX would still be the winner.

Funny thing about that is Nomura said that despite Ansem and Xemnas being apart of MX they each have their own distinct minds from one another. They can apparently even criticize each other's methods and plans as I recall Xemnas making fun of Ansem in KH2, calling him a "fool" for what he did in KH1. Ansem and Xemnas are a "Special Heartless" and a "Special Nobody" more along the lines of Sora (for a short time) and Roxas respectively.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Funny thing about that is Nomura said that despite Ansem and Xemnas being apart of MX they each have their own distinct minds from one another. They can apparently even criticize each other's methods and plans as I recall Xemnas making fun of Ansem in KH2, calling him a "fool" for what he did in KH1. Ansem and Xemnas are a "Special Heartless" and a "Special Nobody" more along the lines of Sora (for a short time) and Roxas respectively.
really? Xemnas criticized Ansem? in what game?

Ruran

Awards
really? Xemnas criticized Ansem? in what game?

Sugg, I just said KH2, lol. It's been a while but I remember him calling Ansem SoD a fool in passing when he was confronting Ansem the Wise.

Edit: I just rewatched the scene I was talking about. If I was looking at the right one it seems that I'm mistaken about that. I could have sworn Xemnas was referring to Ansem SoD as a "fool" but it looks like I was confusing him for AtW.

*jumps out window in redemption*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back