• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► The Raven

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
I began this story on another forums website I'm on, but I wanted to share it with you guys as well.

Its basically a dream I had a while back, and I'm adding a lot onto it lol.

Remember Raven from Teen Titans? Well, it's about her lol. Yes, I had a random dream about the Raven.

Anyway, I'm on chapter 2 but I'll post that when I get responses. For now, here's the prologue and chapter 1.

Oh yeah, I'm also continuing my other story, if you're wondering. I don't have any problems writing both stories, so updates should be up as often as I can get them up ^^

Enjoy!!

Raven

Prologue

She was in her car, staring out the window of the passenger’s seat. Her mom was driving the old Volvo, turning onto Broadway. The radio played quietly in the background, and not a word was said between them.

Megan sighed deeply as they headed into traffic. Her parents’ divorce became final last week, and she and her mother were moving out of the Bronx, into Manhattan. It’s been three years since her father left, and three long years of dealing with lawyers, going to court sessions, and the pain inside he left.

Things haven’t been the same with her and her mother. Her mother was in deep depression; she couldn’t care less about Megan anymore. And Megan couldn’t care either.

Their apartment was small and cramped. The wallpaper was falling off, and the doors were on its last hinges. Her mother didn’t seem to care about that either, but then again, when did she ever care?

After her things were unpacked, Megan walked up on the roof and sat silently, looking over New York City. Beautiful, yes, but dangerous. She could hear, through the horns blasting, yells and cries for help. Thieves, attackers, whatever you called them, were harming innocent people.

And Megan wanted to do something about it.

But what could a normal, seventeen-year-old senior in high school do about it?

In two days, she would find out.

Chapter 1: First Day

New apartment, new day, new school.

Megan walked from her dilapidated apartment twelve blocks to her new school. Teens were swarming all over the campus grounds; they were sitting on the grass, reading books, smoking in the parking lot, and of course: picking on the freshmen.

The bell rang and at once, everyone crowded into the double-doorway in the main entrance to their classes. Megan walked in, crushed by the cliques moving in, and walked around the hallways to find the main office.

The office gave her the locker combo and number she was to use, and her class schedule. She quickly walked out and went to the other side of the school to her locker and put a few books away. Standing next to her on her left, was a blonde, fair skinned girl her age.

“New here?”

Megan nodded and smiled. “I moved from the Bronx.”

“Why the change?”

“Long story,” Megan said. “I’m Megan.”

“Nikki,” the girl said, holding out her hand. “You have first period with my brother and I. We’ll show you the way.”

“Who’s your brother?”

“The senior over there, talking with the jocks,” Nikki said. She was pointing to a tall boy with medium-long, brown hair. Megan stopped in her tracks and stared at the attractive guy her new friend was related to.

“This is Matt,” Nikki said. “Matt, meet Megan. She moved from the Bronx.”

Matt looked down at Megan and smiled. His hazel eyes seemed to have widened a little bit. Megan wasn’t sure if that was a good thing, or if something was in her teeth.

He put out a hand, and Megan slowly took it. “Welcome to Manhattan.”

“Thanks,” she said shyly.

The warning bell rang, and Megan followed her two new acquaintances to their first period class.

~*~

The school bell rang and the students were crowding to their lockers and getting ready to go home. Nikki and Matt waited for Megan at her locker and they walked out together.

“So where do you live, Meg?” Nikki asked.

“Right down there, next to that abandoned plant,” Megan pointed.

“You’re not too far from us,” Matt said. “We’re five blocks away. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to come by. We’re in a white apartment building, apartment 4A.” Matt smiled, making Megan blush.

“Thanks.”

They stopped at the corner of the main block, two blocks down from Megan’s apartment building. Nikki started to head to her apartment, but Matt stayed behind with Megan.

“Listen, uh. Why don’t you give me a call later? I’m planning to hang with a group of people tonight in Central Park. You can come…I mean if you want to, that is,” Matt said.

“Yeah, that sounds great!” Megan said a little too fast.

“Cool, here’s my number. I’ll meet you up here?”

“Sure, yeah.”

~*~

It was dark out, and the two of them were walking back from the park around 10:00. They said their goodbyes and Megan went down towards her house.

Two guys were standing in an alleyway barely lighten up by the streetlight. They saw Megan walking to her apartment; they saw her alone.

They started to slowly follow her. Megan looked over her shoulder, and saw them following. She quickened her pace, and they did as well. She started to sprint to her front door, and as she ran, she grabbed her keys out of her back pocket. The two guys were running right behind her, not far from her.

She put her key into the lock, but it wouldn’t open. The door was jammed, and the guys were right next to her. Megan bolted, dropping her keys on the ground and running away from her building. Not paying attention to where she was going, Megan was heading right for the abandoned plant. She climbed the fence and hopped over into the lot. The building she ran into was dark and damp, and their was a weird scent in the air.

In the window, she saw the two men looking in, searching for her silhouette. Megan ran further away, and crashed into some barrels, knocking them over. She fell into some dark liquid on the floor that poured out of the barrels, and her body became numb. The room started to spin suddenly, and her vision blurred. She felt her face touch the cold liquid, and she heard voiced above her.

“She dead?”

“I think so.”

One man knelt down. “Probably poison. It’s in her mouth.”

“So…what now?”

“Let’s go,” the man said, standing up. “Before we’re blamed for this.”

Megan was left there, and she too thought that she was dying.

~*~

While she was unconscious, the liquid absorbed into her body…

It was around 11:30 when Megan gained consciousness. She stood up, and there was no liquid on her body anymore. It wasn’t even on the floor. Confused, and still dazed, Megan stood up and looked around. She didn’t feel well at all, and left the building in a hurry. The streets were still blurry, and her head was spinning. Somehow, Megan was able to grab the keys off of the ground she had dropped, and the door finally opened for her. She slowly climbed the stairs and came into her apartment. Her mother was, of course, knocked out on the couch with no lights on and the TV blasting, with a wine bottle in her hand. Megan walked right past her and went into her room.

Shutting the door behind her, Megan flopped onto her bed and her body started to violently shake. Her eyes rolled upward, and she started to moan. In her head, she thought that she was having a seizure. Her vision blurred again, and she blacked out.

~*~

Something takes over me
What it is, I cannot say
But all I know is that darkness is what I see
And it is what I feel
The darkness will continue
And it will go on
And on, and on, and on
And on…

Megan’s alarm clock rang, playing off Generation Teen’s hit song, Darkness. Megan was still on her bed…or somewhat.

Her body was floating above her bed. She was curved, and her hair was dangling close to her pillow. Her feet were almost touching the footboard of her bed.

She slowly opened her eyes and looked around. Realizing she wasn’t on her bed, she sat up, and immediately her body fell back onto her bed. Megan, confused, thought that she still wasn’t awake, was still partially dreaming. She didn’t take any more notice to it, so she continued her way to the bathroom.

At the counter, she washed her face in the sink. Forgetting to put the bottle of facial soap next to her, she reached for it, her face drenched in water and her eyes closed tightly. The bottle moved by itself across the countertop into her hands.

That’s when it hit her. Something wasn’t right.

Silent Avera

Night Pirate Graphic Lemonade Maker
O_O That part where the guys were chasing her reminded me of when my mom was almost kidnapped >o< This story has such a dark presence to it, but hey if it's about the Raven, it should be dark right? :D

Is this how the Raven really started? Or is it still part of your dream?

Oh yeah: Azerath-metrione-sinthos! :D

Last edited:
really?? that's so scary... is your mom okay now?

well, this is basically my ideas on how she started. my dream was just one battle of her's, which I'll include later in the story

it's my first really dark story, so I'm hoping it turns out well lol ^^

thanks for the feedback ^^

Bliip

Should change his username D:<
i really like it, but the title mislead me...

i thought it was gonna be about Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven"...

lmao :lol:

Silent Avera

Oh no this happened a long time ago with my mom, she in fact cheated death lots of times; like when she was little, a bullet just missed her head when she was young and hit my grandmother in the shoulder, if my mom hadn't bent down to pick up something, she and I wouldn't be here >_< Then just recently, she had a life saving operation that stopped one of her organs from exploding O_O......She's a strong lady :D

It's a good story for your first dark one ^_^ I think you chose a wonderful character, me wuv zeh Raven! X3

ohmigosh that's really scary!! if I were your mom, I'd be afraid to leave my house...she's a very brave woman

thank you everone and I decided to put up the second chappie! its going to start explaining a lot of things, so enjoy!

Chapter 2: Freaky

Okay…she thought to herself. What the hell is going on?

The bottle of facial soap, now in her hands, was definitely on the other side of the counter. How did it suddenly slide across the counter into her hands?

Megan thought to herself more, but shook it off. She would be late to school if she continued to stall. So she dressed and cooked herself breakfast, grabbed her bag, and walked to the school.

At her locker, she didn’t realize until she looked into her small mirror that she had circles under her eyes. She huffed, annoyed, at the lack of sleep she got last night, and waking up floating…or what she thought she imagined floating.

“Hey, Megs,” Nikki hopped up to her. “Whoa, late night?”

“Just not feeling too great today,” Megan said, yawning.

“Guess Matt and I will have to keep waking you up in class,” Nikki laughed.

Matt! Crap! she thought. She didn’t want Matt to see her like this.

Nikki eyed her carefully. “You like him, don’t you?”

“Me? No, of course not. Why? Do I look like I do?” Megan panicked.

Nikki giggled. “You like him. Don’t worry about it, I won’t tell anyone,” she said, crossing her fingers over her heart.

“Thanks,” Megan sighed.

They walked into class and sat down in their seats and waited for the teacher to walk in. When he did, Mr. Tressmount closed the door behind him and stood in front of the desk.

“Take out your books,” he droned. “Turn to page twenty-two. We will be discussing,” he began to write on the board, “Edgar Allen Poe. Poe is famous for the dark poems and short stories he wrote in his lifetime, including The Tell-Tale Heart, and The Raven. Today, we’ll be discussing The Raven.”

Matt walked into the classroom, late. Nikki rolled her eyes and smiled.

“Mr. Kensington, would you like to join our discussion of Edgar Allen Poe? Or would you like to go to the office and explain why you are six minutes late for my class?” Mr. Tressmount scowled.

“I think I’ll sit down,” Matt said. The rest of the class muffled their laughter.

As he passed Megan, Matt accidentally knocked her textbook off the desk. They both reached it, but as Megan stretched her hand out, the book stopped in mid-air, just before it touched the ground. They both stared at it, astonished. But Megan quickly moved her hand away, back on the desk, and the book fell onto the floor with a small “bang!”

Matt still didn’t take his eyes off of the book until Mr. Tressmount yelled at him again to take his seat. His eyes shifted to Megan’s, who was too embarrassed to look up.

What is wrong with me?

“Continuing with The Raven…” Mr. Tressmount began.

~*~

Gym class.

Not exactly the best place for flying objects to come towards you. Especially if you’re Megan. Especially if you’re in Megan’s condition, might we add.

Megan played sports, so that was a good thing. Volleyball and basketball, those were her things in gym. Of course, though, if you aren’t ready for the ball, you’ll dodge it, right?

Well, Megan didn’t. Instead, she stopped the ball when her hands went up. The ball, in mid-air, just stayed in place, and when she thrusted the ball away from her, it went soaring to the other side of the gym with a powerful blow, right out the window, breaking glass everywhere.

How can someone explain that? Uh, I have the flu? No one with the flu can do that; everyone knows that. So, how can Megan get herself out of this?

Run. She runs away.

The school bell rang and instead of going to her locker, she left right away out of the door before anyone could get to her.

She walked right past her apartment and to the fence she hopped last night. She looked around, then hopped it again, landing on her feet and she quickly walked into the building.

It was easier to see things in the light now. She tried to remember where she went, but everything looked different now since it wasn’t dark out. When she turned a corner in the building, where it looked like it used to be the plant’s main floor, she saw a few barrels knocked over, with liquid on the floor.

She started to remember that the ground where she fell was wet, as if puddles of water were just recently spilled. Megan bent down to the puddle of liquid on the floor, and dipped her hand into it. There was no smell to it, but it was as black as the night sky. As she held it cupped in her hand, something weird happened that made her jaw drop.

Her hands absorbed the liquid.

She jumped up and looked at her hands. She could see through her skin at the visible veins in her arms, and the black liquid seemed to be spreading in her veins, throughout her entire body. Her body felt like Jell-O, and she fell to her knees, shaking slightly as the liquid spread within her.

Her breathing got narrow, but as quick as the attack came, it went away, and she felt better. Better than she did before; heck, better than this morning. What was this stuff?

Megan poured out her water bottle on the floor behind her and took a little bit of the liquid on the floor. She swished it around in the bottle a little bit, and stuffed it back into her bag.

Hopping over the fence again, Megan headed back to her apartment, and went right to the roof. She paced around, trying to figure this whole thing out.

How did she float this morning? The book, the ball, and now this liquid that her body soaked up like a sponge, running through her veins?

“God, what the hell!?” she screamed.

Megan got the thought that she should try to float again. If she couldn’t, then she knew that it was a dream. But then what about the other things that happened?

She went for it. Through her anger, she concentrated on her objective. In her mind, she kept repeating : Fly, fly, fly… but nothing happened.

She threw her arms down in anger, and paced around some more. She stopped, and had a thought. Floating…she was floating when she was sleeping. When you sleep, you’re at a state of serenity, right? Her agitation was throwing her off, so that’s why she wasn’t floating now.

Megan took a deep breath to calm herself down. She slowly closed her eyes, and began to concentrate again.

Her feet slowly lifted off the ground, and she became weightless. Her arms were straight against her sides with her hands flared out, and her legs were shoulder-length apart. Her hair started to fly in the wind, and as she opened her eyes again, she looked down and saw that the rooftop was now a few feet below her.

She laughed and smiled widely, but at the same time she got worried. Now, she knew, something was definitely wrong with her.

Megan practiced more of the things she experienced that day. The floating book, the ball being shot back; she wanted to recreate it again.

So she set up a plank of wood with a few empty Coke cans on it, and one by one, she knocked it down by waving her hands in front of her. When she waved her hands, a black stream of energy came out of her hands, and knocked the cans down. As the last can was falling off the plank, she held her hand out, and the can stopped before it hit the ground. Yes! She practiced until nightfall, not paying attention to the time at all.

So now what? She can move things and fly around. What other freaky things could she do?

At that moment, she heard a loud bang from around the corner. She ran to the edge of the rooftop and peered down to see two guys beating someone up against a dumpster. The man was bleeding from his nose, and she could hear it break from where she stood.

That’s when she recognized the two men. The ones from last night, that chased her into the abandoned plant. The ones that were responsible for her new powers.

She wouldn’t let them get away. Now it was her turn for payback.

Megan jolted down the stairs and into her apartment, running past her mom, who was out cold on the sofa with a bottle of wine in her hands. As usual.

She slammed her closet door open in haste, and looked for something to put on that would conceal her face. Quickly searching her clothes, she grabbed a long petticoat with a hood and threw it over her. The hood, she remembered, was too big for her head, and it completely covered her face. Good enough, for now.

She opened her window and jumped onto the fire escape, and quickly searched the area for any signs of anyone looking at her. No one was below her, and the rooms across the street were either empty or shaded, so she went ahead and jumped off, and before she touched the ground, she stopped in mid-air, floating just above the ground. Megan touched the ground softly, and ran around the corner where the two men were still beating up the defenseless victim.

Megan stood there for a moment, and then waved her hand out before her, and the huge black energy flew from her hands and knocked the two men back into the brick wall. The victim stumbled to his feet and stared at Megan with shock.

“Go!” she screamed, not with fright, but with anger. Her eyes, hidden from the victims, were still on the two men, who were starting to stand up.

The victim ran away, too afraid to thank Megan. Megan began to walk towards the two men, and she thrusted more attacks on them, sending more black energy from her hands. They couldn’t stop the attacks; they came out of nowhere. When Megan stood over them, she grabbed both of their collars, one in each hand, and brought them to her covered face.

Her laugh was low, almost hysteric. “How’s it feel to be the victim now?” she whispered.

She threw them back against the wall, and with her hands, she raised her hands up, as if to bring something out of the ground. The black energy shot up, and created a dome around the two men. The black energy surrounded them, and when they tried to break free, the energy acted like a barrier, forcing them back.

Police sirens were coming closer to the alleyway. As two police officers turned the corner with their guns raised, Megan shot up in the air, and flew away as fast as she could. She knew that she was seen, and maybe that was a good thing. Because now, she knew, she had to do something to help capture criminals. Manhattan needed something more than the cops that drove through the streets. They needed a bird’s-eye-view of the crimes that took place.

And Megan wanted to be that bird.

Silent Avera

For you Angels, this poem is a classic ^0^

Edgar Allen Poe: The Raven (first published in 1845)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Lenore -
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -
This it is, and nothing more,'

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
`Sir,' said I, `or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you' - here I opened wide the door; -
Darkness there, and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, `Lenore!'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, `Lenore!'
Merely this and nothing more.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
`Surely,' said I, `surely that is something at my window lattice;
Let me see then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
'Tis the wind and nothing more!'

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore.
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door -
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door -
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning - little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door -
Bird or beast above the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as `Nevermore.'

But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only,
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends have flown before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.'
Then the bird said, `Nevermore.'

Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,
`Doubtless,' said I, `what it utters is its only stock and store,
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore -
Till the dirges of his hope that melancholy burden bore
Of "Never-nevermore."'

But the raven still beguiling all my sad soul into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird and bust and door;
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore -
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking `Nevermore.'

This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom's core;
This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining
On the cushion's velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o'er,
But whose velvet violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o'er,
She shall press, ah, nevermore!

Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer
Swung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor.
`Wretch,' I cried, `thy God hath lent thee - by these angels he has sent thee
Respite - respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore!
Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe, and forget this lost Lenore!'

`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted - tell me truly, I implore -
Is there - is there balm in Gilead? - tell me - tell me, I implore!'

`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us - by that God we both adore -
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,
It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Clasp a rare and radiant maiden, whom the angels named Lenore?'

`Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

Excellent chapter Angels :D Fly! Fly away Raven!

Haku

<3
Wonderful start so far Angel, dark and mysterious two of my favorite forms of writing.

Shadowysights

Screw that action
Awards
Oh no this happened a long time ago with my mom, she in fact cheated death lots of times; like when she was little, a bullet just missed her head when she was young and hit my grandmother in the shoulder, if my mom hadn't bent down to pick up something, she and I wouldn't be here >_< Then just recently, she had a life saving operation that stopped one of her organs from exploding O_O......She's a strong lady :D

It's a good story for your first dark one ^_^ I think you chose a wonderful character, me wuv zeh Raven! X3

*APPLUASE* She deserves a medal for such bravery.

Great story Angels. I would assume this is before teen titans? Of couse 17 doesn't make her much of a "Teen" lol.

Wonderful start so far Angel, dark and mysterious two of my favorite forms of writing.

thanks ^^ I'm starting to get into the whole "dark" writing and movies and stuff its just so cool lol

Great story Angels. I would assume this is before teen titans? Of couse 17 doesn't make her much of a "Teen" lol.

well, actually I'm making it a solo story, no Teen Titans or anything like that. just Raven lol but yes if I were writing about Teen Titans, this is before she would've joined

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
I love this, AIF. Like, this is subscription worthy, which I don't do often. Love the development of Megan's character, the descriptions are more than exceptional, and it seems natural, you know, mannerism ways. Not really the powers and everything being natural, but you get the idea. It also just seems to flow well.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
Oh my gosh! So wow! This is good! I wish I can write good as this! How'd you do it? Gosh compared to my writing, this look neat and so not messy and clustered and turn off readers. XD I really like where this is going with Megan and all, though I don't really much of Teen Titans and all. But yeah, it's like so far, so good! The suspense, the character, the plot, neat! :D

Bliip

Should change his username D:<
wow, yeah sorry i havent had a chance to read this in a while. it's really good. nice and dark, just the way i like it :toungesmile:

I also noticed something. Not much of a bad thing but, I noticed that you like the whole "highschool 10th, 11th, 12th" setting.

well, its easier to write in the high school setting because I'm personally experiencing it. its easier to write in a POV you're experiencing at the moment...or at least its easier for me lol I dunno if its easy for everyone lol

wow! thanks everyone for such great feedback, I'm glad you all like it! ^^ here's the next one (it's pretty long, but I hope its a good length) enjoy ^^

Chapter 3: The Bird Takes Flight

Megan’s alarm clock snapped on, startling her from her deep sleep. She reached for the clock, but realized that it was below her hand; she was floating again.

This time she was more relaxed compared to yesterday morning. Megan knew that things were changing—she was changing—and she knew that more was yet to come. Take it as it comes, she told herself.

She got up to get ready for school when she noticed something odd with her hands. Her nails were painted black, for some reason. She knew she didn’t paint her nails…

The bottle she used to collect the liquid she found sat on her dresser, and she picked it up and swished it around a little bit. She knew that she had to find out what it was, and see if it is any danger to her body. So far, it wasn’t harming her, except when her body soaks it up like a sponge. But she wanted to be sure, just to be on the safe side.

Megan grabbed her bag and walked down the stairs and out her door. Inside her bag, she had the same overcoat she wore the night before, in case something happened somewhere.

It started to mist as Megan began walking to school. She pulled her hood from her sweatshirt up over her hair, and stuck her hands in the pocket and quickened her pace. A block away from her school, Megan saw a police car zoom past her, towards a bank. She stood still for a moment, looking to see if it was just a false alarm or not. When she saw the police with guns drawn and taking cover behind the car, she knew something was up. Megan glanced at the school, knowing that if she went, she’d be late. But then again, someone could get hurt, even the police.

She ran into an empty alleyway and grabbed her overcoat and threw it over her, flinging another hood over her face to cover her eyes up completely. Megan dropped her sling bag and jumped into the air, over the roof of the local deli, then flew towards the bank.

Megan found an open window on the back of the bank, where no one could see her. She gently pressed her hands against it, squeaking it open, and slipped in soundlessly. Inside, there were three guys dressed in black, with black ski masks over their faces. A few people, rather hostages, were flat on the floor. One of the robbers was pointing a gun to them, while the other two attempted to break the safe.

She looked around carefully, while floating in the top corner silently and undetected. Megan had to consider her options that wouldn’t harm anyone in any way. An idea hit.

Down below, the one man with a gun turned to the other two at the safe.

“You almost get it?” he called over.

“Just about!” the other shouted back. “I’m really close…”

The man with the gun turned back around, and out of the corner of his eyes his gun was engulfed in some sort of black energy, and the gun was pulled right out of his hands. Too stunned to get any sort of word to come out of his mouth, the man stared at the free-floating gun that pointed right at his head. A girl floated down to him, with her hand out, as if she was controlling the gun.

“You might want to quit while you’re ahead,” she mocked.

The other two men at the safe turned swiftly around, and looked at the girl. Immediately, they pulled out their guns. They didn’t hesitate to begin open fire.

The screams of the innocent hostages could have almost made Megan’s ears bleed if she was really paying attention, but she concentrated on the bullets flying towards her. With her other hand, Megan waved her hand up into the air, causing a huge wall of black energy to block the incoming bullets, and they fell to the ground with little *clinks*.

The three men stood their in surprise. One man shook his head, and his face completely changed to anger.

“I’m not letting some punk little girl get to us!” he shouted, and he sprinted towards Megan.

Megan, although her heart was pounding faster than normal, did not move. As the man’s arm swung back to hit her, Megan dodged the attack, swirled around him so she was behind him, and blasted black energy from her hands against his back, sending him flying into the marble wall in front of him. She could hear the crunching of his nose breaking, and probably a few teeth were knocked out.

Megan turned swiftly to the other two men and glared at them under her hood. “Anyone else?” she snarled.

The two men didn’t move; they were almost like statues. Megan smirked and glanced at the door and saw the police were advancing towards them slowly. Looking back at the men, she lightly pushed herself up in the air, and the doors burst open. The police flooded in, and Megan flew out of the window she entered through. Down below, the police caught a glimpse of her cape exiting through the window as they apprehended the men and the hostages escaped.

Outside, the witnesses looked up and saw a small, black figure move quickly through the sky. The figure flew through the air with great speed, out of sight.

~*~

The bell rang as soon as Megan arrived at her first period class. Thankfully, Mr. Tressmount wasn’t in class yet, so Megan had time to sit down and calm down after the hectic rush to get here on time.

Nikki was sitting in her usual seat, and waved Megan over eagerly. As Megan started to walk towards her, someone called her name.

“Megs, hang on a sec,” Matt said. He was sitting on the table, and he jumped down and walked towards her.

“I wanted to talk to you since yesterday, but I couldn’t find you anywhere,” he said.

“Yeah…sorry about that,” Megan said. “I wasn’t really having the best day ever.”

“About yesterday, when I came into class late…that book—’’

“Take your seats, everyone,” Tressmount barked. “Hey! Chris! No paper planes! What are we, seven years old?” He rolled his eyes and slammed his books on the large desk and began writing on the board so hard, the chalk squeaked loudly underneath.

As Megan turned to sit down in her seat, Matt quickly grabbed her arm. “I still need to talk to you,” he whispered.

“Mr. Kensington? Miss Adams?” Tressmount said. He pointed to them to sit down, and they did at once. “We left off in the middle of the poem yesterday, thanks to Mr. Lawrence’s irrelevant discussion on bird watching,” he glared at Brandon, “so let’s continue at the line “Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling…”

They read the rest of the poem in silence, as Mr. Tressmount read it aloud in his dull tone that put most of the students to sleep. When he finished, he closed the book loudly, startling everyone.

“The Raven in the story says “nevermore” to the narrator. Can anyone tell me why?”

There were no responses. Megan looked around, then at her book and quickly scanned over the poem. Shyly, she raises her hand.

“Yes, Miss Adams?”

“Well, the narrator in the story is mourning over the loss of Lenore. The bird always says “nevermore”, which in the end turns out to mean that the narrator will never see Lenore again,” Megan said.

“Correct. Notice the line “Clasp a rare and radiant maiden, whom the angels named Lenore?” The Raven replies “nevermore.” It suggests that Lenore will never be seen, even in paradise.”

The bell rang just then, and everyone scrambled out of their seats to get to their next class. Megan felt a hand on her shoulder, and knew that Matt wasn’t done talking.

“Megan, that book yesterday, when I knocked it over…did you realize something odd about it?” he asked.

“Odd?” Megan repeated. She thought quickly of some kind of way out of this mess. “What do you mean?”

“It never landed on the ground!” Matt said. “It just floated there for a moment, then fell to the ground and you picked it up. You didn’t see that?”

“No…” she lied. “Books don’t float, Matt. Did you get enough sleep the night before?”

Matt chuckled. “I guess not, then. Sorry about that. My mind’s been a little out-of-whack lately.”

“It’s no problem,” Megan said. She smiled and started to turn away.

“Wait! I was wondering… the other night when we went out. I was kind of hoping we’d go out again…just not in a group.”

“You mean, a date?” Megan asked.

Matt looked down at his feet and stuck his hands in his back jeans pockets. “I mean, if you don’t want to, I understand.”

“No,” Megan said. “I’d like that.”

Matt’s head shot up and he smiled. Megan tried to stop blushing, but she couldn’t help it.

“Tonight, then? Around eight?”

“Sounds good to me,” Megan said.

“Okay then, I’ll come by you.”

~*~

Megan was walking home from school when she stopped by one of the craft stores. In the window, there was a sign that read “Make your own clothing! Fabric in aisle 5!” An idea struck her, and she walked in.

Aisle 5 was filled with every fabric you could think of, with every color imaginable. She skimmed through the fabrics and found a long, black piece that fell to the floor. Megan grabbed it and threw it over herself, like a cape; it was perfect. Add a hood to it, and there you go! A new outfit.

What to wear underneath… she looked further down and chose another black piece of fabric, only this kind was smoother and shinier than the one she held in her hands. It was thicker, as well, and she knew it wouldn’t be easy to make something out of it. But she took it anyway.

Megan paid for it and left, passing by a shoe store along the way. In the window display, she saw black boots that she really liked. It had small, thick heels, and it had buckles and straps all over it. Perfect.

She got home and dug up her mom’s old sewing kit, which hadn’t been touched in decades. Using her sewing abilities, which weren’t the best, Megan began sewing her new apparel. She finished the underclothing first; it was a one piece article of clothing, with long sleeves, short shorts, and a turtleneck. The cloak wasn’t finished before it was time to get ready for her date.

Megan was just about finished getting ready when she heard garbage cans crashing to the ground a block away. She looked outside and saw someone beating up a boy, around her age, and screaming for his wallet. Every refusal from the boy earned him a punch in the face.

Megan knew there wasn’t enough time to get her new suit on, so she grabbed the usual overcoat and opened her window. With one foot on the windowsill, Megan lunged herself out of the window and flew with great speed at the attacker.

As he grew bigger in vision, Megan increased her speed and threw her arms out in front of her, shoving the man back into a wall. As he hit the wall, her hands were still on his chest, and she clutched his leather jacket in her fists. She lifted him in the air, and threw him into the side of a dumpster. In the moon’s light, the blood from the man’s temples could be seen, and Megan told herself to stop attacking. Any more and he could be seriously hurt.

She lightly touched the ground and walked up to the man, grabbing his jacket once more.

“You’ll like prison,” she said in a low voice. “A lot of guys like you in there. You’ll get along just fine.”

She dragged him by the collar out of the alleyway and went to the boy. That’s when a chill ran down her spine: the boy was Matt.

“Are you hurt?” she asked. She kept her voice low, to hide any indication about her real identity.

“I think I’ll be fine,” Matt said, wiping the blood from his nose onto his sleeve. He glared down at the man Megan was dragging. “A**…” he muttered.

“World’s full of them,” Megan said.

“Go to Hell!” the man yelled.

“Aw, shut up!” Megan yelled back, and with her free hand, she waved some black energy that hit his head and knocked him out.

“I’ve never seen anything like that!” Matt said, amazed. “Who are you?”

“I’m…uh…” Megan realized she never gave herself a name. For some reason, today’s English class popped into her head. “Raven. Call me Raven.”

“Raven…Well, Raven, thanks for the help. I have to go; I hope my date isn’t mad that I’m late,” he laughed.

Oh, great! I won’t be back in time! “Gee, you really don’t look too great. Maybe you should make your date another night?” Raven suggested.

“On such short notice? I don’t know about that…” Matt said.

“You really should get your nose checked out,” Raven insisted, growing a little impatient. “I’m sure she’ll understand.”

Matt hesitated for a moment. “I guess…I’ll give her a call when I’m home then.”

“I gotta get this guy in custody before he wakes up again and gives me a hard time,” Raven said. “You’ll be okay on your way home?”

“I’m sure I will be,” Matt reassured her. “Thanks again.”

“No problem,” Raven said, and she jolted up in the air, with the man in both hands, as fast as she could (God, this guy’s heavy!).

She knew she didn’t have a lot of time before Matt was home to call her. She raced to the police station to put the man behind bars. While she was there, the police officers on duty looked at her curiously.

“Who the heck are you?” one asked.

“Raven,” she answered, throwing the unconscious man at them. “And you’re welcome.”

And with that, she flew out of the station at great speed.

Haku

<3
Knowing Angel she's probably going to throw another twist in there before we find out XD, great chapter though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back