• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Poor Design of the χ-blade

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noel

Awards
200px-%CE%A7-blade_%28Complete%29_KHBBS.png

The χ-blade appears to be made up of two crossing Kingdom Keys, with the teeth facing outward. It has a filigree that slightly resembles one on the Ultima Weapon, and the blade slightly resembles the Dream Sword.
It should be noted that the incomplete χ-blade's coloring is more red-orange than bluish-yellow, and the blade is slightly covered with an aura of darkness. It also seems that the incomplete one appears to have chips in the side of the blade, and it lacks a part of the filigree on one side, and part of the Kingdom Key's hilt, that makes it look somehow broken or shattered. The Keychain's two crossed Kingdom Keys is reminiscent of the symbol of the "Keys to the Kingdom of Heaven". Although it is not seen in this incarnation, it is especially significant that the Kingdom Key has a silver blade and gold hilt, and the Kingdom Key D has a gold blade and silver hilt, matching the keys on the symbol. When the χ-blade hits a target, the released symbols are gold and dark blue stars, symbolic of light and darkness.
The Keychain is a black and red heart that is similar to the Heartless symbol, only without the fleur-de-lis bottom and jagged cross, with two Kingdom Keys crossed over it. The chain starts out as two separate chains that form into one.
Although χ-blade is pronounced "Keyblade", the letter "χ" is the letter chi from the Greek alphabet. This is why the name of the weapon is spelled "χ-blade", but, as Master Xehanort explains, can be pronounced "Kye-blade". Master Xehanort explains to Ventus, with a visual demonstration of the ancient letter "χ", that he is not referring to a Keyblade that Keyblade Wielders use. He continues to state that the letter itself carries a meaning of "death" and that it "spells endings".

There's not really much that can be pulled off from the design standpoint of the χ-blade. To me it just feels like a giant deus ex machina that wasn't really needed. When I first heard about it while playing through Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, I was rather indifferent. We already have the Keyblade of People's Heart to be the polar opposite of the Keyblade. So why was it needed? Personally to me, it just looks like really bad fan art. (Reading the Wiki again, materializing Kingdom Hearts is a good reason, but still not by an actual design standpoint.)

Altogether it is supposed to be different, so why make it something that feels like it was just using recycled assets? You have two Kingdom Keys, with two handles and I suppose that the guards is where you're supposed to grab on the weapon? Then there's the symmetrical aspect to it that resembles the Ultima weapon. Finally the Keychain it self is just two Kingdom Key's crossed with a the Heartless emblem without the fleur-de-lis bottom.

If the χ-blade is supposed to be something where a pure light and darkness meet, shouldn't it have something that resembles that? We have the 13 Darknesses, and the 7 Lights, however I couldn't find anything within the design that could give any alliteration to this idea. Looking at it is supposed the perfect union, so the symmetrical part they achieved was correct, but that's all there is to it really. It has the power materialize Kingdom Hearts, so shouldn't it be inspired by Kingdom Hearts in a way? (The 13/7 Shards/Fragments is an exception, but their is no actual representation physically that is noticeable on the weapon)

Later, we find that χ in χ-blade is greek for Chi. Which in Cantonese/Mandarin is pronounced with the soft sounding chuh sound. However the Japanese equivalent is Ki (Think Naruto VS Dragon Ball Z). So basically it means, spirit or life in a sense When Master Xehanort says that the χ is meant for death, due to the fact that it can end ..."things"... I'm pretty sure Sora has used his Keyblade to end things as well. Perhaps when Xehanort meant death he meant the death of all who participated in the Keyblade War.

I know I am arguing over a topic where in hindsight. We're attacking with giant keys, but hey. I just feel like this was rather lazy.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i believe the key is different for every two hearts in union to create it. sora had a big influence on ventus' heart as evidence by vanitas' appearance however the KK was originally riku's keyblade passed down by terra so in that case there is no reasonable explanation other them pure symbolism in the form of bad design.

however there is also:
images

358/2 was chock full of bbs reference so why not vice-versa?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
To be fair...all Keyblades are inconvenient by default. They just range from mild inconvenience to "WTF IS THAT!?!?" the latter of which the X-Blade falls under.

Practicality aside. I'm not a big fan of it either. I'm hoping that since the X-Blade we're familiar is incomplete and haphazardly put together that somehow means that the full-fledged X-Blade will look different.

Like, it's gotta be comprised of twenty Keyblades instead of just two, then we'd be onto something.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Honestly, a lot of the BBS Keyblades are "busy" to the point of being ugly. DDD calmed down a little, KHX's upgraded Keyblades got busy again, but since they're incremental, they don't have much choice but to get more complicated. As a result, it's hard to say which direction we're trending. I don't know if KH3 will calm down more, stay the same, or riot in a whole new direction with its transforming weapons feature.

Anagram

Banned
I agree too. I disliked both it's look and it's role. I would've preferred more insight to the Keyblade Riku had in KH1 or the war. *thoughnotagameofthewar*
The Xblade just never settled with me. Especially since it took the mythical keyblade from mysterious to "cheap knockoff". Keyblades are still a super weapon but nothing compared to their original.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Honestly, a lot of the BBS Keyblades are "busy" to the point of being ugly. DDD calmed down a little, KHX's upgraded Keyblades got busy again, but since they're incremental, they don't have much choice but to get more complicated. As a result, it's hard to say which direction we're trending. I don't know if KH3 will calm down more, stay the same, or riot in a whole new direction with its transforming weapons feature.

with the keyblade transformations, i'm hoping they all start calm then turn into pure insanity. however, i'm a "rebel with a cause" type of guy so at least have some symbolism.

also the keyblade riku!nort had in KH1 was fake and had a very ansem feel to it so i wouldn't think the X-blade would look anything like it.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Can we get more Keyblades like "Three Wishes", "Hidden Dragon", and "Master Keeper" (all from 3 different games!) please? I feel like an idiot lugging around the keys in BBS and DDD.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Can we get more Keyblades like "Three Wishes", "Hidden Dragon", and "Master Keeper" (all from 3 different games!) please? I feel like an idiot lugging around the keys in BBS and DDD.

just what i was thinking. it reminds me of pokemon, the keyblades started cool and they each felt like they had a purpose but then they were just weird due to lack of creativity.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
just what i was thinking. it reminds me of pokemon, the keyblades started cool and they each felt like they had a purpose but then they were just weird due to lack of creativity.

I like that comparison, because like in Pokemon others prefer the later designs or think that every entry has good and bad designs.

Going back to the X-Blade, I hope that it gets a redesign in KH3. The one we saw in BBS was incomplete so who knows, maybe the completed one will have more inspirations from other Keyblades.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Yeah, I hope that because that was an incomplete/corrupt version of the X-Blade in BbS that the real one in KH3 will be completely redesigned. I also hope that the keyblade designs go back to simpler designs that seemed to represent the worlds and/or just didn't look really dumb. I loved Pumpkinhead, Three Wishes, Hidden Dragon, Lionheart, Fairy Heart... Stroke of Midnight, Fairy Stars and Treasure Trove... what the hell.

HK Motendra

Awards
I, personally, feel the X-Blade's design would have been a bit more salvageable if the second KK wiithin it was the KK D. Other than that, it looks like an oversized weapon to me

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
I agree with the thoughts about it being too busy.
In fact, I might even be content with the same basic giant-sword-shape if the design was just more uniform. Even the Ultima Weapons, which are about as busy as I can stand, work thematically because everything overlaps in a way that enforces that it is a single complete idea and not a composite of things we've seen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back