• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The pandering is getting old.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Also, Black Osprey brought up the idea of colorblindness - which is a beautiful approach in theory, but the problem usually comes down to people already pretend like it exists and unfortunately, we do not live in a world where racism is gone, or for that matter oppression over various minorities.

I can't speak too much for people of color, but when someone says to me "I don't see you as gay! I don't pay attention to that stuff, it's not important to me! I see you as a person", what they usually mean to come across is: "your gayness doesn't affect the way I see you" but in reality, it comes off as "I won't let your oppression get in the way of me seeing you like everyone else."

If you ignore someone's struggle, then you're not helping to stop it and you're not helping to normalize who they are and what they face. Instead, the best approach on both ends would be, I do see you as X, I acknowledge the situations you're in, even if I can't always understand them, I celebrate you as a person and want to make sure you're happy and safe.

And unfortunately, by "ignoring" race, all that really happens is that you automatically make everything that grey blob world from the Fairly Odd Parents, because the highest race on the totem pole becomes the default, and as a result, every time you pick up a book, if the character isn't explicitly given a race, you're conditioned to read them as white. Instead of worrying about who's on top of that pole, or whether a fucking comic book character started off as straight - (also, arguing over straight X-men or a SJW agenda at Marvel is LAUGHABLE considering the entire series is a metaphor for being LGBT and other societal "outsiders") consider, instead, confronting the system that made these things default in the first place.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
I'm probably colorblind in the worst possible way. I really don't care who you are or what you look like, as long as I enjoy hanging out with you then that's all that matters to me. If I meet a stranger at a party and we talk and hit it off, then that's what I care about. If they brought up their sexual orientation to me I'd simply be like "...great?". So, I pretty much ignore it because it doesn't interest me. If it doesn't affect me, hinder me, or interrupt my personal little world, I couldn't care less.

See what I mean when I say I'm colorblind in the worst possible way? It's not that I'm PC, or super accepting, I just don't care. "I'm black and I'm oppressed." Don't care. "I'm gay and I'm happy about who I am." Don't care. "I don't like coloured people." Don't care. I guess what it comes down to is, I don't care about your beliefs, your politics, who you hate, what you like, who you're attracted to, your background, or your race. If we get along, then we get along. "You do you, Imma do me."

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
There's a reason why I call color-blindness a crazy pipe dream. It's an ideology that I try to follow, but I know that it'll never become a reality simply because there will always be those who elevate race to a ridiculous level of importance.
I can't speak too much for people of color, but when someone says to me "I don't see you as gay! I don't pay attention to that stuff, it's not important to me! I see you as a person", what they usually mean to come across is: "your gayness doesn't affect the way I see you" but in reality, it comes off as "I won't let your oppression get in the way of me seeing you like everyone else."

If you ignore someone's struggle, then you're not helping to stop it and you're not helping to normalize who they are and what they face. Instead, the best approach on both ends would be, I do see you as X, I acknowledge the situations you're in, even if I can't always understand them, I celebrate you as a person and want to make sure you're happy and safe.

You know, not long ago, I got confronted by a situation like this first-hand. My best friend had acknowledged the possibility that he was gay, and he was really confused and terrified because of it. For a while, I was pretty much the only person who knew about it. And eventually, he accepted it. He started dating someone, he's happy, and he's not on the verge of a nervous breakdown anymore.

Yeah, the revelation kind of surprised me. Shoot me. But you know what? I realized that it didn't really change who my friend was. All the reasons why I liked him as a friend- intelligence, humor, a thing for video games and stupid nerdy debates- were all still there. Orientation did not change any of that.

So, I see no reason to beat someone down OR to put them on a pedestal because of their orientation or race. Fictional or real. I'll be bothered by it mostly when those things are used in a blatant move to look "inclusive" or just to draw easy attention via clickbait.

I'm probably colorblind in the worst possible way. I really don't care who you are or what you look like, as long as I enjoy hanging out with you then that's all that matters to me. If I meet a stranger at a party and we talk and hit it off, then that's what I care about. If they brought up their sexual orientation to me I'd simply be like "...great?". So, I pretty much ignore it because it doesn't interest me. If it doesn't affect me, hinder me, or interrupt my personal little world, I couldn't care less.

See what I mean when I say I'm colorblind in the worst possible way? It's not that I'm PC, or super accepting, I just don't care. "I'm black and I'm oppressed." Don't care. "I'm gay and I'm happy about who I am." Don't care. "I don't like coloured people." Don't care. I guess what it comes down to is, I don't care about your beliefs, your politics, who you hate, what you like, who you're attracted to, your background, or your race. If we get along, then we get along. "You do you, Imma do me."

... Heh. Guess I'm kinda like you.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
lol

POC, women and gays exist everywhere. I don't consider it pandering at all. If anything it's more accurate to real life. Like how there's a black stormtrooper and a female lead character in the new Star Wars. It detracts nothing from the plot and characters. And even if it does, it's just bad writing to begin with more than likely.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
One time a social justice warrior cut me off in traffic. Be wary friends.

Back