• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"The Other Promise" - Original or the Remastered?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Which "The Other Promise" version do You like more?

• The Original

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • The Remastered

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Eee... aaa... Idontknowjustleavemehalone!

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enturax

Awards
CHOOSE WISELY

original
[video=youtube;KyrWRgg_6KE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyrWRgg_6KE[/video]

remastered

[video=youtube;s9XljBWGrRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9XljBWGrRQ[/video]

The original has so much emotional struggle in it - I can feel Roxas's sadness, his innocence, his hatred, his desperation and an eventual fade out into oblivion #punnotintended

I feel the remaster on the other hand, while sounding nice, doesn't have as much emotional value because they forced way too many instruments and effects into it, and the hard piano notes from the original are minimal here! It sounds soothing and smooth, kinda fitting some "Dramatic Sad Goodbye" theme (which is partly the point of the scene, but still).
Ironically, Nomura said he wanted this version to sound "even more like a battle music", while it's the opposite to me. (maybe he meant that it was supposed to be more continuous...? I dunno)

The Other Promise is my favourite KH OST and one of my all time favourite songs - if you are wondering why I spent my time on making topic about such a "minor" thing. :rolleyes:

Awards
I like both pieces a lot. The original definitely captures his struggles and feelings, while the remastered has a sadness to it. You get the ups and downs of his emotions in both, but the original comes out much more powerful and dramatic.

I think I like the remastered better because the original starts off very powerful, with a strong sense of emotions. With the remastered, it starts off calm and the emotions gradually build up. The way I interpret Roxas's character seems to fit this one more. I also just really like it, it's more to my taste.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
*plays both at the same time and at varying speeds*

The original has so much emotional struggle in it - I can feel Roxas's sadness, his innocence, his hatred, his desperation and an eventual fade out into oblivion #punnotintended

I feel the remaster on the other hand, while sounding nice, doesn't have as much emotional value because they forced way too many instruments and effects into it, and the hard piano notes from the original are minimal here! It sounds soothing and smooth, kinda fitting some "Dramatic Sad Goodbye" theme (which is partly the point of the scene, but still).
Ironically, Nomura said he wanted this version to sound "even more like a battle music", while it's the opposite to me. (maybe he meant that it was supposed to be more continuous...? I dunno)
My stance is pretty much the same as yours. While I like the remaster, the piano in the original really put Roxas' emotional struggle in the forefront, while it getting drowned out here diminishes the emotion some. It's not bad, just loses a bit of the original's spirit.

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
The remaster. The piano work is gorgeous throughout, and the way the strings come in and just swamp it really dramatizes the piece. All the other layers of instrumentation round it out and gives the ear something more to do than sit there and take the beating. The original sounds like a really solid demo more than a full and finished track to me (most original KH2 tracks are like that).

The one that always gets me questioning this is Destiny Islands. The remaster has a really breezy feel to it but the original is such a bop. Oh and Traverse Town, too.

Enturax

Awards
The remaster. The piano work is gorgeous throughout, and the way the strings come in and just swamp it really dramatizes the piece. All the other layers of instrumentation round it out and gives the ear something more to do than sit there and take the beating. The original sounds like a really solid demo more than a full and finished track to me (most original KH2 tracks are like that).

An understatement is sometimes the best choice for art. Lack of certain details sometimes simply gives you a better focus on the thing you want to interpret as the additions can cover the true meaning behind the work. I feel like the original is trying to be harsh to the listener in a way to force you to understand the importance of the situation; the extra sound effects and smooth transitions in the remaster "soften" that feeling and thus the meaning behind it. Although it's not entirely true, because the remastered one sometimes tries to give you a different feeling to begin with, especially during the main part of the song - a feeling of tragedy and pity.

Anyway, thanks for your insight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back