• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The only one thing that bothers about the current kingdom hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Foxycian

Awards
This was bothering me for a while now but I don’t like how Sora is becoming more and more like a Disney character, I love the boy don’t get me wrong his one of my heroes growing up, but to me kingdom hearts characters are in a way a final fantasy characters going to Disney worlds (even if Disney owns them, still to me they are both final fantasy+Disney characters) I love Disney soo much and kingdom hearts just won’t be the same without Disney, but that doesn’t mean I want the characters to act like Disney characters, unfortunately now Sora and even Axel (who I love soo much) are reduced to being a comic relief to the point I cannot take them seriously, also not gonna lie Sora in toy story was awesome he looked a little bit mature and can still have little sense of humor, ventus in the other hand is the type of character that I like, he maybe childish like Sora but his more mature then him at the same time, in kh1 I liked Sora cause him acting like that is understandable his a kid after all, in kh2 Sora is actually not that bad he was more serious and more interesting, but kh3 even tho i still like him I just can’t take him seriously as much as I used to, everything about him and everything that comes out of his mouth is the word heart now lol i know it’s a square + Disney but still I don’t want to see the main characters acting soo much like Disney characters, having their moments of being goofy and silly and immature is fine, but I don’t want them to make Sora the Olaf of kingdom hearts, not saying it’s a bad thing to act like a Disney character since many Disney characters are strong and interesting, like Elsa Anna Merida Hercules simba, but the new modern day male characters on the other hand... are usually portrayed as dumb and just serve as a comic relief like Eugene or kristoff which why I don’t want some of the kh male characters I like to be reduced to the typical dumb and goofy love able guy, Axel is already victim of this The same as Sora, overall this is my opinion so feel free to disagree if you must, thank you for reading

Edit: sorry if you had hard time reading, my English is still a work in progress.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I actually prefer Sora in KH3 then KH2. KH2 Sora felt just as silly as KH3's, only getting serious when Riku or Kairi were brought into the equation. Still I get what you're saying. I really don't like what's become of Lea, I miss the real Axel :(

As far as playing as other characters, I do want to play as them for sure. But for the main titled games I get why it's Sora. Sora has a certain charm to him and I think he bounces off Disney characters the best among the main cast. Yeah there are times were it's not good but to me he's the perfect guy for this job.

I do want to play more with Kairi and the other trios too in gameplay and they should get moments in the series where you can play as them. Whether they star in their own side games or get playable segments like in KH3.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

For me I think we're overdue for Sora/Riku/Kairi game. They are the only trio to not have one, and the timing feels right to have one now.

Foxycian

Awards
I actually prefer Sora in KH3 then KH2. KH2 Sora felt just as silly as KH3's, only getting serious when Riku or Kairi were brought into the equation. Still I get what you're saying. I really don't like what's become of Lea, I miss the real Axel :(

As far as playing as other characters, I do want to play as them for sure. But for the main titled games I get why it's Sora. Sora has a certain charm to him and I think he bounces off Disney characters the best among the main cast. Yeah there are times were it's not good but to me he's the perfect guy for this job.

I do want to play more with Kairi and the other trios too in gameplay and they should get moments in the series where you can play as them. Whether they star in their own side games or get playable segments like in KH3.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

For me I think we're overdue for Sora/Riku/Kairi game. They are the only trio to not have one, and the timing feels right to have one now.
Thx for reading, I feel like I rushed while typing my point, I have edited it and made it much more simple and easy to understand now:)

SuperNova

Awards
Honestly, I feel like KH3 is the best version of Sora we have gotten to date. Yes, he's still his normal optimistic if naive self, but it feels like he's calmed down a lot from his earlier days. He's more laid back and I appreciate that.

We don't talk about DDD Sora. Ever.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I adored Sora in KH3. He was never my fave where I was obsessed with him, but KH3 really made me like him. I feel like he was treated way better in KH3 than in games before (the only exceptions being KH1 and CoM). DDD was a huge step back for Sora's development (while being a great closure for Riku's amazing character arc). KH3 had me so concerned over Sora and actually really excited to play as him in future games. I always liked Sora as the protagonist and playing as him in the main games, but I always felt more interested in Roxas (fave), Xion (fave), Aqua (fave), and Riku (former fave until KH3). After KH3, I'm invested in Sora and I really hope Nomura gives him a better storyline than just being the hero.

If you really thought Sora was dumbed down in KH3, I think you need to play 3D to get a true example of what dumbing down Sora is like because he was more or less a buffoon in 3D. Granted, his failure in 3D did lead to his growth in KH3 so... I dunno, maybe he needed to be dumbed down to get better? Nah.

Hirokey123

Awards
I don't really get the idea that Sora was dumbed down in DDD. He was pretty happy but this was also the first adventure he ever got to go in where he was on it pretty much just to support someone, not because he needed to go. He doesn't need to worry about Kairi or Riku, his home is back, the worlds are back, he's worked out a lot of his issues. It's the most relaxed adventure he has ever gotten to have and that's reflected in his being a fair bit less brooding.

At the same time he shows he is way more insightful and intelligent than he was in the past. He starts picking up on the Nobodies having hearts in Prankster's Paradise, and once he saw Roxas's memories he knew the truth immediately. Compare that to KH2 where despite his entire adventure and all he experienced he shouts at Xemnas's face an insistent belief that Nobodies don't have hearts and feel nothing.

He completely recontextualized what the keyblade meant to him and his place in the world (partly because the narrative required it since he was no longer THE keyblade master after BBS). In KH1 it's just a weapon, in KH2 it was a weapon that as long as its in his possession means he must keep fighting. But in DDD it's more than that. It's a power he has because of his friends, and so it's not a power to misuse for his sake but instead something he needs to always use for the sake of others. To him the keyblade is the chance to make people happy and that is something he could never give up. You can see some real maturity in him as well in regards to how he interacts with the residents. Like La Cite Des Cloches he doesn't learn any meaningful lessons because he already knows the lessons that the characters in that world are still trying to learn, and he instead tries to teach them and he does that in lots of worlds. Before Sora was the one learning but DDD Sora is almost always in the role of the educator. Then there was the Rinzler stuff and how he was able to use his heart and the keyblade together to literally rewrite Tron's heart setting him free with the power of their bond.

Sure he can be goofy and forgetful at times, but he's always been like that like hell he forgot he turned into a heartless which is something far more meaningful than one of the many pieces of Yensid's droning lecture info dump that he had thrust on him all at once, most players don't even follow what is going on most of the time in DDD so it's extra unfair to judge Sora for not fully grasping it either. He also was reckless knowingly running into a trap but this is the kid who in KH2 after barely escaping a bunch of Nobodies in Twilight Town thought it was a good idea to walk into the Underworld and demand Hades give Hercules a break.

Foxycian

Awards
hm I guess many see Sora as a better character in kh3? Well I won’t deny that his not that bad, maybe cause I’m tired of playing one character 24/7 when there are others we can play as too, Sora is always carefree, I want to play as a serious character once in a while like riku and kairi or Roxas, even ventus i wouldn’t mind.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I don't really get the idea that Sora was dumbed down in DDD. He was pretty happy but this was also the first adventure he ever got to go in where he was on it pretty much just to support someone, not because he needed to go. He doesn't need to worry about Kairi or Riku, his home is back, the worlds are back, he's worked out a lot of his issues. It's the most relaxed adventure he has ever gotten to have and that's reflected in his being a fair bit less brooding.

At the same time he shows he is way more insightful and intelligent than he was in the past. He starts picking up on the Nobodies having hearts in Prankster's Paradise, and once he saw Roxas's memories he knew the truth immediately. Compare that to KH2 where despite his entire adventure and all he experienced he shouts at Xemnas's face an insistent belief that Nobodies don't have hearts and feel nothing.

He completely recontextualized what the keyblade meant to him and his place in the world (partly because the narrative required it since he was no longer THE keyblade master after BBS). In KH1 it's just a weapon, in KH2 it was a weapon that as long as its in his possession means he must keep fighting. But in DDD it's more than that. It's a power he has because of his friends, and so it's not a power to misuse for his sake but instead something he needs to always use for the sake of others. To him the keyblade is the chance to make people happy and that is something he could never give up. You can see some real maturity in him as well in regards to how he interacts with the residents. Like La Cite Des Cloches he doesn't learn any meaningful lessons because he already knows the lessons that the characters in that world are still trying to learn, and he instead tries to teach them and he does that in lots of worlds. Before Sora was the one learning but DDD Sora is almost always in the role of the educator. Then there was the Rinzler stuff and how he was able to use his heart and the keyblade together to literally rewrite Tron's heart setting him free with the power of their bond.

Sure he can be goofy and forgetful at times, but he's always been like that like hell he forgot he turned into a heartless which is something far more meaningful than one of the many pieces of Yensid's droning lecture info dump that he had thrust on him all at once, most players don't even follow what is going on most of the time in DDD so it's extra unfair to judge Sora for not fully grasping it either. He also was reckless knowingly running into a trap but this is the kid who in KH2 after barely escaping a bunch of Nobodies in Twilight Town thought it was a good idea to walk into the Underworld and demand Hades give Hercules a break.
I never looked at DDD Sora like this. Mind blown!

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Sora to me is the physical embodiment of the player's inner child, living out the wish-fulfillment element of someone getting to befriend so many beloved animated characters. So him becoming like a Disney character doesn't seem that out of place for me.

disney233

Awards
hm I guess many see Sora as a better character in kh3? Well I won’t deny that his not that bad, maybe cause I’m tired of playing one character 24/7 when there are others we can play as too, Sora is always carefree, I want to play as a serious character once in a while like riku and kairi or Roxas, even ventus i wouldn’t mind.
I feel many can resent to this mindset. There are many characters that should get the spotlight. There are many characters that NEED a chance for their character to be developed. It's just that...playing through the Disney worlds as Sora felt...natural. SDG I say have better chemistry with this. Something that the others, the playable ones we've had thus far, lacked....allot. It's their serious cardboard box personality that just....CAN'T mix in, in the Disney worlds.

Terra's story is proof enough.

Foxycian

Awards
I feel many can resent to this mindset. There are many characters that should get the spotlight. There are many characters that NEED a chance for their character to be developed. It's just that...playing through the Disney worlds as Sora felt...natural. SDG I say have better chemistry with this. Something that the others, the playable ones we've had thus far, lacked....allot. It's their serious cardboard box personality that just....CAN'T mix in, in the Disney worlds.

well you’re not wrong about SDG they fit in many worlds specially Sora, but I also like Riku, Roxas, terra ventus and Aqua journeys through the worlds they still fit in my opinion cause remember they are an outsiders each comes from a different world they are meant to be different and not act like Disney characters, also in each Disney movie not all the characters act goofy and childish like Sora, just look at big hero 6 and treasure planet, I don’t think Donald or goofy even fit in Tangled movie heck many of those worlds having both Donald and goofy is just not fitting no one question why a duck and a dog walking and talking like humans? Terra story was actually fun and somewhat fitting more then Donald and Goofy imo.

SuperNova

Awards
To me, Sora feels the most natural in Disney worlds simply because of how friendly and easy-going he can be. Ventus and Kairi I could also be really fun to play as in Disney worlds. Aqua could take a mentor role for Disney characters kind of like how she was like a mentor/protector for Cinderella in BBS.

Other characters like Terra, Riku, and Roxas feel best as supporting characters. They are serious and logical enough to be great contrasts for the likes of Sora and Ven. But as playable characters in Disney worlds they've always felt like they just didn't quite fit.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

I actually thought Terra's story in the Disney worlds was basically evidence that Terra wasn't meant to be a keyblade master yet. The fact that he didn't blend in and was easily seduced by darkness showed. If you're referring to his personality not matching the worlds, well I kind of enjoyed a different vibe interacting with the Disney characters. It was a unique approach to worlds that a character like Terra would stick out in.

I think the remedy to this situation is selecting worlds that would work with whichever protagonist is visiting. Sora can blend in anywhere, so the main titles games won't be an issue. If they make main console side games, I think world selection will be key.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

Yeah, Sora has never been this pinnacle for maturity. KH1 he's different because (other than it being the very first game of course) Riku and Kairi have gone missing, his world's gone poof, and now he's got this weird mystical weapon with a ton of responsibilities that come with it. Chain of Memories is Sora being manipulated, and anybody would feel anger in that kind of situation.

KH2 Sora is more laid-back than he was in KH1 because he's experienced enough with the Keyblade, and his real main goal was to find Riku and go back home to the islands. It wasn't until Yen Sid told SDG that "Oh yeah, Organization XIII is trying to do bad things... And if you're lucky, you might find Riku on the way there, since everything's connected!" Sora even thought about doing anything else. Plus Kairi was home, so he at least had one less worry on his mind. Sora was plenty goofy in KH2, but when it came down to it, he was serious.

DDD is the same way, and you've explained it perfectly. Sora didn't give a shit about the Mark of Mastery exam, far as he was concerned, it was a stress-free adventure with no real stakes involved. He only really did it cause he was told to, and because Riku really needed it more than anyone else did, so he's just going in with the intent to support his best buddy. It wasn't until shit really hit the fan when Sora took the situation every bit as serious as it needed to be. Plus yeah, like you mentioned. Sora redefined what it meant for him to be a Keyblade wielder, and if he was "stupid", he would've never arrived at that conclusion. The series hammers it in that he's not "the chosen one", but in his words, he says himself that he doesn't care. He's part of something bigger, the people it did choose.

KH3, I think he was plenty serious for the most part. He still had his fun like he usually does with Donald, Goofy and whoever else is with him in said Disney worlds, but he was a lot more mature this time. He's cocky and reckless, a bit forgetful when it comes to maintaining the World Order, and the main cast for whatever reason like to hammer it in that Sora "still needs work", but he's incredibly more mature when you see the moments in KH3 that really require him to be introspective. Even the end of KH3 when he's talking to Xehanort, KH2 Sora or even KH1 Sora wouldn't say something like that.

Kid's doing just fine as he is. I don't want him to be so serious that he's basically Riku, because we have Riku for that. And even though all of that, it's still Sora that has to go clean up after everyone anyway, so it's not like his maturity even really matters in the long run.

Back