• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The one tiny problem with the next saga of kingdom hearts:The gameplay mechanics of kH3.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
As you read the title, this could draw another divide with fans. Their are people who want drive form's back, keyblade transformation to stay, attraction flow to stay(i'm one of them), and so on.

Realsticlly, you can't please everyone with gameplay choices. It's gonna be really hard to have a compromise for the next game. The next solution other than compromise is to remove a mechanic one side of the fanbase likes. I think since kingdom hearts 3 has died down, we as fan's should talk with one another on what should we compromise.

Tell me what you think.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Why not just keep all of them? These features shouldn't even bother fans who don't like them since they are always optional

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Of course they won’t have the same gameplay mechanics in the next game.

I think Keyblade transformations in the numbered games are here to stay, which means drives/forms in a way are also here to stay as long as they are tied to them. I think they will also have attractions in numbered games, but they will change the mechanics of how they function and how they are activated.

Summons seem like a feature that may fade out eventually since Disney is being ridiculously strict about their implementation. It also isn’t a function that gets used much anymore. I find that D-Links from BBS were more functional than Links in KH3, in that the buffs and commands they offered were more useful, but I also preferred the spectacle of Links over D-Links.

I think the Keyblade evolution function in KH3 needs to mirror UX more, though. Make the upgrades visible changes and not just stat changes, and then let us choose what look it has once we max evolve them.

Why not just keep all of them? These features shouldn't even bother fans who don't like them since they are always optional

Cost and time would really be the limitations. Also even with them being optional, there is such a thing as overloading the player with choice. Too many mechanics and it just becomes too junky. Also it tends to guarantee something will be more polished over something else.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Sora's current predicament has me wondering how he'll fight in his next appearance. If he's in the Reaper's Game, I assume he'll probably be de-powered and forced in using Pins unless Nomura shrugs at TWEWY's gameplay. (Pins aren't much different from the Command Deck so that part would be easy.)

But other than that, I'm expecting everything to stay one way or another, except...

Summons seem like a feature that may fade out eventually since Disney is being ridiculously strict about their implementation. It also isn’t a function that gets used much anymore. I find that D-Links from BBS were more functional than Links in KH3, in that the buffs and commands they offered were more useful, but I also preferred the spectacle of Links over D-Links.
^ This here. I also agree on D-Links, and would prefer KH uses this over Summons/Links going forward, but with some KH3-level spectacle where the Disney characters imbue Sora with their power.

Obiewantsanipod

To be quite honest drive forms are far more appealing to me. Keyblade transformations did not look organic and were quite chunky looking as a mechanic, in the sense that Sora just looks like he's spinning around or thrusting forward. The Pirates of the Caribbean keyblade was one of the few I liked. That being said, I really like it when gaming companies listen to what their fan base wants, so if most people enjoyed the keyblade transformations I hope they keep them.

Attraction flow is where I have a serious problem. I'm sorry but my idea of going up against thousands of heartless doesn't involve doing it on a roller coaster. At the very least let me disable it early on.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Attraction flow is where I have a serious problem. I'm sorry but my idea of going up against thousands of heartless doesn't involve doing it on a roller coaster. At the very least let me disable it early on.

You mean you DIDN’T want to use the choo-choo train to smash into enemies at the end of a 10000 Heartless battle?

But really, on one hand I see what Yasue was going for when he decided it should happen and I can totally see it was done to be fun and lighthearted and sweet and I thought “it’s like being a child and bashing a train into a pile of toys”.

Then on the other hand, wtf? How did we go from summoning Union X keyblades and this dark and somber tone to...choo-choo motherfucker?

It was done to lighten up the mood before diving back into the heavy stuff, but it wasn’t appealing.

Mind you, I have like no recollection of the 10000 Heartless battle.

And in other situations, I literally beat Dark Aqua using the boat and while I was absolutely humored, I was also just really taken out of the experience considering it is supposed to be an emotionally charged battle.

It is a fun idea but it definitely needs some work.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
To be quite honest drive forms are far more appealing to me. Keyblade transformations did not look organic and were quite chunky looking as a mechanic, in the sense that Sora just looks like he's spinning around or thrusting forward. The Pirates of the Caribbean keyblade was one of the few I liked. That being said, I really like it when gaming companies listen to what their fan base wants, so if most people enjoyed the keyblade transformations I hope they keep them.

The Critical Mode update always you to disable Attraction Flow except for the times you have to use it (IE Rock Titan/10,000 Heartless Battle).

I like the idea of Attraction Flow, but they need to figure out some way to make it 1) not so repetitive/frequent and 2) not so easy to use. Maybe it can be something special like the Mickey appearances in KH2 and only happen once per visit of a world or something. They can also make each Attraction Flow be specific to that world, like if you were to visit the Caribbean the Pirate Ship one would become available. I'm currently replaying the game on Critical Mode and I immediately disabled the Attraction Flow and I'm enjoying myself so much more. I actually kind of forgot that it was in the game.

Anyway, I digress.

I feel like KH3 should be a teachable moment for Nomura. Give us the features, but let us customize it the way we want. Make KH more RPG based. I think at the start of the game when you have to choose how you want Sora to be, you should be allowed the choice of Limits (KH2 style), Drive Forms, Keyblade Transformations, D-Link/Summon (D-Link is a stat boost to Sora and the party while Summons actually bring out the characters from the D-Link). Whatever you choose can be leveled up throughout the game. I think that will introduce more replay value and let people use what they want to use. And for people who will inevitably complain that they want it all in the game, once you beat the game, the New Game Plus file will allow you to use all.

If there's one thing they need to carry forward, it's upgrading the Keyblade. I WISH they had that in KH1 and KH2. There were so many amazing keyblades that I stopped using because they were weaker.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I feel like Keyblade Transformation and Froms will remain in one form or another moving forward, The Keyblade transformation doesn't seem like a mechanism or element you can easily introduce and then pretend doesn't exist.
The good thing about this is that you can vary up the weapons the main cast uses in fights, so while all are Keyblade wielders you still have someone fighting with Chakrams or a whip and not all just with swords.

I feel like drive froms returning in the form they were in KH2 is a bit unlikely. It's not impossible though, but I feel like them being more something to enhance transformations seems a bit more likely for now.

Oracle Spockanort is most likely right about the Links / summons being slowly faded out with how restrictive Disney was regarding them. I think it's a pity seeing it was a nice way of including characters from past games without their worlds.

With the attraction flow, I feel like the fact that they allow us to turn them off in critical shows that they realized the implementation didn't really hit the spot. I could see them either fade out or return in place of links or summons moving forward.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I hope Drive Forms of KH2 are gone for good. The Keyblade Transformations were much more fun. I hope those + Shotlocks + Flowmotion stay around for a while anyway.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Keyblades from now on should just be Summons/Links, D-Links, Drive Forms, Keyblade transformation all smooshed into one.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I hope Drive Forms of KH2 are gone for good. The Keyblade Transformations were much more fun. I hope those + Shotlocks + Flowmotion stay around for a while anyway.
Maybe Drive forms can appear for "original" keyblades, while Disney themed ones use keyblade transformations?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I am a bit uninformed, but how were Disney restrictive of the Disney summons in KH3? Just a bit curious. I used them a bit in Critical Mode, but once I got to a high enough level I stopped using them altogether.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I am a bit uninformed, but how were Disney restrictive of the Disney summons in KH3? Just a bit curious. I used them a bit in Critical Mode, but once I got to a high enough level I stopped using them altogether.

Disney requested that they would stop taking characters out of their properties when they could be used in the past. The development team had to get creative with their depictions of these characters by explaining that they were just representations of them and not the actual characters.

After awhile that excuse isn’t gonna fly (especially when SE’s marketing staff is going out there and calling these summons by their names lol) so either Disney is going to have to ease up on the restriction or SE is going to stop having summons as they are currently depicted.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
From the Ultimania:
Q: How did you select the characters for links?

A:
Regarding links: During talks with Disney, we were asked to stop calling characters from other worlds into whichever world Sora was currently in. But, that meant we wouldn't be able to make a summon technique like past titles. So, we went with the premise that a connection with Sora's heart calls the characters forth as magic. I thought combining them with magic would have the most impact, so we settled on having "Simba+Fire" and "Ariel+Water" and the like.

EDIT: *oof* First ninja'd on the new site! XD

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Thanks for the responses Oracle Spockanort and FudgemintGuardian. Well that explains why Simba looked like that. Still I think that is silly considering we had summons in KH1 and KH2. Man, I didn't know the Disney restriction was so strict this time around. When it comes to summons I can take them or leave them. I'd rather link up with the other heroes anyway. Use RAX, TAV, Riku, Kairi, and Namine as links to replace summons I say.

disney233

Awards
In regards of the Attraction flow, I honestly love it. I just feel we should see....less of it. They fit better in situations like the Rock Titan fight. They don't need to come up in EVERY opportunity.

Back