• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Phil not speaking is so weird and jarring, especially since he's so talkative, probably my only negative point of the game so far

His Japanese voice actor passed away. This is odd because both Master Xehanort and Vexen’s Japanese Voice’s passed away and were replaced.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Phil not speaking is so weird and jarring, especially since he's so talkative, probably my only negative point of the game so far

What? He is one of the best parts of Olympus and he doesn't speak for his possible final appearance? That's such a giant disservice, good lord.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
His Japanese voice actor passed away. This is odd because both Master Xehanort and Vexen’s Japanese Voice’s passed away and were replaced.
That's peculiar. Maybe they felt his scenes weren't big enough for it to worth it? *haven't watched anything yet* But even if that's so, for him to not say anything at all feels very wrong. Maybe they just couldn't get a replacement in time?

I'm curious if this has happened with anyone else.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
That's peculiar. Maybe they felt his scenes weren't big enough for it to worth it? *haven't watched anything yet* But even if that's so, for him to not say anything at all feels very wrong. Maybe they just couldn't get a replacement in time?

I'm curious if this has happened with anyone else.

If only the picked DeVito. T_T I would have died. Or Dunkey lol

FOR DA GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMS

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

I felt that way too, I didn't realize his Japanese actor died, so I could see that maybe having something to do with it? I'm glad Meg at least talks and stuff lol.

I guess they found it weird to exclude him even if he didn't get to speak? I'm not sure if I would have preferred it tbh. Like you could maybe think its because of the amount of actors they were already paying for this game and they found him skippable? If it isn't because of the Japanese actor thing, of course. As it was pointed out, they have replaced others before.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Seems to be the case, perhaps Ichiro Nagai's passing away was probably the reason why Phil remained a silent character in Olympus.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I mean, it's sad that the actor died, and it's kind and good to honor the actor in any capacity, but I'm sorry, neutering a usually talkative character is not the way to go in my opinion. Like, the game is releasing in many countries outside of Japan. Most audiences will hear the English cast. Phil's english voice actor (whose name I cannot place, as it is not Danny Devito) has PERFECT attendance. PERFECT. He hasn't missed an opportunity to revisit Phil. IMAGINE this guy's disappointment and confusion when he learns that, yes, Phil IS in KH3, but he just doesn't speak at all. Sorry, we're not calling you in to do Phil's voice. I hate to stomp all over a tribute to a departed actor, but it's a disservice to the game's presentation and the series overall.

Phil has always been a large point of measurement for Sora's progression as a hero and young man. If the curmudgeonly PHIL can admit that Sora has become a true hero, then NOBODY can debate it. Phil laughed at Sora in KH1 for wanting to compete, immediately pinning him as a weakling. What a missed opportunity to have Phil begrudgingly acknowledge Sora's progression, or even better, noting his evident lack of ability compared to the past.

I don't think ruining Phil was an appropriate tribute to the actor who had done so much work with the character.

Hardback247

I think that by the time we saw the constellations of the three heroes in KH2, that was probably enough for Phil to admit that they went the distance.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Honestly if Phil was just going to stand around and not speak I would have rather he just be omitted and occasionally mentioned. No disrespect to his deceased VA but it makes me legitimately angry the more I think about it.

Which is such a shame cause everything else about Olympus is so good.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Honestly if Phil was just going to stand around and not speak I would have rather he just be omitted and occasionally mentioned. No disrespect to his deceased VA but it makes me legitimately angry the more I think about it.

Which is such a shame cause everything else about Olympus is so good.

Nah, Olympus was way more problematic than just Phil being mute. Meg spoke but didn't contribute anything to that world, and the Gods had less relevance than the NPC's.

Then again, Nomura wasn't kidding when he said that Olympus was the tutorial world. It seems that world was solely a Square Enix addition, and doesn't have the Disney faithfulness that the other worlds do.

Though I love the boss set pieces in that world, so creative! And as much of a moral scumbag James Woods is, he knocked it out of the park as Hades, as usual!

Last edited:

Smithee

Awards
At first, Rutger Hauer was a meh MX.

But as the finale went on, he did manage to sound like Leonard Nimoy at times.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
What's weird is I don't have as much of a problem with some of the voice actor changes.

Kairi I was already pretty much used to. The guy voicing Master Xehanort isn't really as bad as some are making him out to be. Hayner, Pence, and Olette really don't sound that different to me.

I must say though, that I was appalled hearing the voice of Elizabeth in the Caribbean. That was jarring. As well as Marluxia still being the most boringly monotone voice in the series. I know he's a Nobody but come on, Larxene is extremely emotive in comparison. Those are my least favorites so far.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
As well as Marluxia still being the most boringly monotone voice in the series. I know he's a Nobody but come on, Larxene is extremely emotive in comparison. Those are my least favorites so far.

I think Marluxia is supposed to come over as aloof and generally detached, not unlike pre-insanity "good" Sephiroth was in Crisis Core.

He's like a general foil to Larxene, his usual partner in crime, in terms of behaviour.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I didn't expect better for Kairi, but I was still...bored by default whenever she said a single word.
If Elizabeth, Kairi and KH2-Aerith could have a talk, I swear that would be the ideal way to make me fall asleep. 11/10 would work everytime.

Who confused me a bit was Haley Joel Osment late in as Vanitas, after the battle against him with Aqua and Ventus. He sounds...super odd and different? Which threw me off-guard, because in the other scenes, he soundedamazing

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I'm nowhere near the Caribbean but I'm sad to hear Elizabeth's voice is meh :/ Especially KH2 Aerith levels

Nah, Olympus was way more problematic than just Phil being mute. Meg spoke but didn't contribute anything to that world, and the Gods had less relevance than the NPC's.

Then again, Nomura wasn't kidding when he said that Olympus was the tutorial world. It seems that world was solely a Square Enix addition, and doesn't have the Disney faithfulness that the other worlds do.

Though I love the boss set pieces in that world, so creative! And as much of a moral scumbag James Woods is, he knocked it out of the park as Hades, as usual!

I guess I wasn't sad Meg just kinda skedaddled instead of being a damsel or something, especially at this point I feel like she has been through enough crap to know when to leave lol. And seemingly in this reality her servitude to Hades is long done so idk, I guess they probably are just running out of ways to use the characters? I mean it has been used 8 times lol.

Tho tbh, it still was based more on the movie than it usually is, though KH2 clearly used the whole "jump in to save Meg and become a true God" thing. Though it was the second time he had regained his power in this reality as well.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Jim Hanks as Woody sounded a bit rough to me at first but I got more used to it as I continued playing through Toy Box. The Tim Allen sound alike was very solid. I would have actually believed that was him if it wasn't for the preview back in May.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Jim Hanks as Woody sounded a bit rough to me at first but I got more used to it as I continued playing through Toy Box. The Tim Allen sound alike was very solid. I would have actually believed that was him if it wasn't for the preview back in May.

Yeah Jim didn't sound like Woody exactly but he wasn't bad at acting, just didn't sound quite like Woody. Like you said, I got used to it.

CL123

Enn Reitel didn't sound much like Alan Young, unfortunately. I was kinda hoping they'd get Brian George (since he was already in the game as the voice of Barbosa) to do Scrooge's voice. He voiced the Scottish villain Duff Killigan in Kim Possible, and actually sounds a lot like Alan Young's Scrooge. Listen to Killigan's voice here: https://youtu.be/Ii2qbqorVx0?t=35s and compare that to Alan Young's Scrooge https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/voice-compare/Disney/Scrooge-McDuck/ . George has that gruff sound of Alan Young's voice, which Enn Reitel completely lacks.

Some of the other voice acting seemed a little off as well, even the ones who had voiced their respective charctes before (like Bret Iwan(Mickey) and Tom Kenny (Rabbit) sounded worse than usual. I know it's more challenging since they have the dub over the Japanese version, but still quite noticeble...

Back