• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Scorseselover

Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

It would be cool if that Maleficent is in KH3

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

No it wouldn't, it would be really random and out of place.

Bobjam

Awards

https://www.reddit.com/r/KingdomHea...ization_process_for_new_kingdom_hearts_video/

As always with these things, huge grains of salt to be taken with this but...this was posted on reddit yesterday and its implications are pretty awesome.

Allegedly, according to the poster, he was able to capture audio of a recording of Ben Diskin dubbing the dialogue from the opening scene of Kingdom Hearts III. The recording isn't long as is pretty quiet but it does sound pretty much like YX. Whoever this guy is, what he is claiming is surely going against an NDA of some sort but if true regardless, I suppose we are to assume that an english trailer is already in the works from Square? I doubt this means that actual english VA work has started but who knows...

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

It doesn't really sound like Ben, and there shouldn't be music playing over a voice recording clip.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Considering what we've heard about KH recording sessions from other VAs, it's extremely unlikely for him to say all that in one go. Every line of dialogue is painfully scrutinized by the Japanese voice director they have on call. They always have to take it slowly and repeat the same line multiple times until it gets approved.

Also I seriously doubt anyone actually employed at Skylark would be so foolish as to risk their career for a few minutes of fame.

Bobjam

Awards

Yup, turns out it was a fan request that Ben Diskin did on facebook back in June but then the video or footage got taken down. It would of been so surprising if this had been anything anyway....the III drought continues.

Scorseselover

If Wall-E is added I want to hear Sigourney Weaver as the ship's computer voice

FangirlfromHell

Awards

Aw man, I already missed the poll portion. Oh well. CHRISTOPHER LEE please come back! I need the original DiZ back (dub wise). Corey Burton just isn't the same commanding voice.

Other than that: BRING THEM ALL BACK.

Samhain

Bronze Member

Please...for the sake of my ears
Find new VA for Terra and Aqua. They are complete trash...especially Terra. Awful monotone voice

EDIT:
I heard Richard Epcar's voice for AX in the beginning of the game....wow he's really improved since KH2. Sounds so much like Billy Zane.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
Find new VA for Terra and Aqua. They are complete trash...especially Terra. Awful monotone voice

EDIT:
I heard Richard Epcar's voice for AX in the beginning of the game....wow he's really improved since KH2. Sounds so much like Billy Zane.

I can understand your opinion of voice actors, but please try to be polite about it. Do no refer to them as "trash" simply because you do not like them. That would be like me calling Corey Burton "garbage" which I do not. There is also the fact that BBS was the first video game role for both voice actors. They improved greatly already during their brief moment in Dream Drop Distance.

On the matter of Richard Epcar, I will say he is not a bad voice actor. While he can never truly replace Billy Zane from the initial PS2 KH game, he does a pretty good overall job of capturing the character's voice.

Now, if you could replace Terra and Aqua (whom I love their voices but I want your opinion) who would you get? I truly would like to know as I pray that the answer isn't Yuri Lowenthal for Terra.

if time passes long enough in KH do you think Paul st Peter will come into the KH scene to reprise his original role as Tidus?

Paul St. Peter is Xemnas, not Tidus. Tidus is James Arnold Taylor, the voice of Ratchet in the Ratchet and Clank games as well as the 2nd voice actor for Milo Thatch. Why did you think he was Tidus? They sound nothing alike.

Last edited by a moderator:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

EDIT:
Epcar does pretty good when the voice director allows him to act. Golly, he's been voice acting for, what, 20 years now I think.
My memory is a little foggy on this, but I believe during II, as well as Re:Com's recording, he was pretty much told to act like how Akio Ōtsuka did it (which, if I remember right, was told to really up the ham for that game.)

It should be noted that BBS was Jason Dohring and Willa Holland's first role as voice actors.
Another thing that should be noted is that it's the voice directors job to, uh, voice direct. So often when a character sounds a certain way (for better or worse) it's because that's how the director told them to sound.

Last edited:

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards

EDIT:

I would disagree greatly about Aqua and Willa Holland. I think she did pretty good for a first timer and I'd like to see her back. As for Terra's VA... I've said it before and I'll say it again; Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson should voice Terra. It only makes perfect sense. Terra has rock powers, rock is in Johnson's name...

Anyway I would be more concerned about the voice direction. Most actors and actresses are good, but their talents are sullied by some guy who makes them do it lame, or picks the take that probably sucks the most.

Samhain

Bronze Member
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjvYcI7TyKw
THIS is true voice acting from Terra. The JPN version is better in most aspects. At least when Eraqus died here Terra's voice was cracking when he said "Master Eraqus", and it was emotional. He sounded in pain

Now compare it to this crap (Terra English Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hX4_5layuA

When Terra said "Master Eraqus" after he died....it was so monotone, just absolutely awful. No emotion whatsoever

I won't even started on Aqua's horrendous English VA

Antar

Awards

I don't think Terra's and Aqua's voice actors are nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I played through the game a ton of times and never had a single thought about either of them sounding awful. I was actually surprised to see so many people disliking them on the forums and YouTube. The only horrible sounding parts were those awkward scenes like that laugh in the beginning. That was awful.

sonickenshin

Awards

Now, if you could replace Terra and Aqua (whom I love their voices but I want your opinion) who would you get? I truly would like to know as I pray that the answer isn't Yuri Lowenthal for Terra.
As much as I dislike them, I'd rather they improve their craft. Their voices haven't been trained for stuff like voice acting on BBS. They were far too raw. Holland was a little bit better, but not by much. Dohring can yell pretty well, but he can't really emote very well. With some more time and practice, they'll get better. Though, if I were to get someone else, it'd probably be Matt Mercer and Mae Whitman.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I don't think Terra's and Aqua's voice actors are nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I played through the game a ton of times and never had a single thought about either of them sounding awful. I was actually surprised to see so many people disliking them on the forums and YouTube. The only horrible sounding parts were those awkward scenes like that laugh in the beginning. That was awful.

Yeah, I agree. Hive-mind mentality that branches back to peoples' reactions to the earliest localized trailers, which to be fair, weren't that great. I don't think they're awful, or crap. Inexperienced, sure. But you gotta keep in mind Willa wasn't even in her 20s yet and Jason was expected to act as a 19-year-old. The further on the game went the better they sounded. Especially Willa, who isn't going anywhere as Nomura's seemed to take a liking to her.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

I would blame the Voice director and inexperience for Terra and Aqua's bad voice acting. Ben Diskin talked about in his interview here ( Japanese voice director and a translator.) and the voice of Kuja in Dissidia talked about as well (he was told to copy the Japanese voice actor)

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards

I would like to see them improve. Why do they hafta change at all? Just let them get better and do their own thing. They'll have had a few years to do so, anyway.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Nomura likes them. That's the only thing that really matters haha

FangirlfromHell

Awards

I would like to see them improve. Why do they hafta change at all? Just let them get better and do their own thing. They'll have had a few years to do so, anyway.

I also want them to remain the voices. I actually believed their acting oddly. Terra's voice always matched the expressions, even if to some it was monotone. I was only curious about how they would have picked. I'd rather they stop having to change any of the voices ever again.

Back