• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

Isn't Disney not allowed to use. Louie anymore due to Louis Prima's family threatning to sue for likeness infringement.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

Isn't Disney not allowed to use. Louie anymore due to Louis Prima's family threatning to sue for likeness infringement.

Yes, but Disney regained full usage of the character in 2010.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Who is Louie? The duck? Can someone explain this for me please?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Who is Louie? The duck? Can someone explain this for me please?

Louiedisney2.png

This guy from the Jungle Book. There were rights issues over people imitating the original voice actor's voice because of the wife and family. Disney won the rights in 2010 so they haven't given a fuck since.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards

Louiedisney2.png

This guy from the Jungle Book. There were rights issues over people imitating the original voice actor's voice because of the wife and family. Disney won the rights in 2010 so they haven't given a diddly since.

so that means there's a chance will see him?

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

So a Jungle Book world is confirmed? Otherwise why are we talking about him?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

So a Jungle Book world is confirmed? Otherwise why are we talking about him?

There was plans for a Jungle Book world in Birth By Sleep. People found while data mining that they had build King Louie's throne and some other parts. During the game's development, there were still rights issues with the deceased voice actor's family so it seems that they cut it. Ironically, it was the the same year BBS came out that Disney finally got the rights sorted out.

kh.jpg

frmbuf006.jpg

[video=youtube;_84XhJ3jBqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84XhJ3jBqo[/video]

Since it was clearly a world Nomura and the dev team wanted to make, people are hoping it appears in KH3 which lead to the discussion of King Louie's voice.

I honestly don't want a Jungle Book world (I've never even seen the film :x ), mainly because I think Atlantis or Pocahontas would be easier to fit into the overarching plot of KH3. Atlantis considering a part of its story is about the "heart" of Atlantis which has given its people longevity and great power, something that can be fit with Xehanort's story. Also the fact that Leonard Nimoy is the King of Atlantis is perfect already. Also means Cree Summer's beautiful voice can be heard.

Pocahontas is a part of every 90s child's memory, and it'd be interesting to see how Radcliffe would use the Darkness and to see how Sora would handle the us vs them problem since he's never had to do that before. Also...LOL I doubt Mel Gibson would reprise John Smith without Disney offering a lot of money, but...Everybody else is more likely. I've ranted enough, though.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

I just need Hayden and Brittany to come back as Kairi/Namine respectively.
Second this, but Brittany is probably a lost cause at this point. Meaghan's done an alright job, though, so I'm not going to be as down about Namine as I would be about Hayden not reprising Kairi.

Pocahontas is a part of every 90s child's memory
Not always a happy one, though. :p

and it'd be interesting to see.. how Sora would handle the us vs them problem since he's never had to do that before.
Land of Dragons?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Second this, but Brittany is probably a lost cause at this point. Meaghan's done an alright job, though, so I'm not going to be as down about Namine as I would be about Hayden not reprising Kairi.

I don't like bringing money up, but Meaghan is probably also cheaper to book than Brittany.

Not always a happy one, though. :p

The historical inaccuracies are definitely awful. Romanticizing the treatment of the Powhatan natives, not teaching people the fact that Pocahontas and John Smith were not actually in any romantic relationship and that he was actually an older man and her a child when they first met...among other things.

I try to just enjoy it for what it is. It was certainly one of Disney's best films of the time in my opinion, despite what it was based on.

Land of Dragons?

It wasn't really a direct "us vs them" issue. The Huns in the film were clean-cut villains and were treated as such in KH2. Well...Shan Yu at least since he just had a band of merry Heartless to back him rather than his warriors. In Pocahontas, it wasn't so black and white. You had the settlers who believed that by going to the New World, they'd find gold and claim it for their country and help take care of their families with their new riches and honor; and that the natives were evil and greedy among being "savages". In the same vein, the native tribe fought their own battles to bring honor and safety to their people, and believed the settlers were monsters who brought destruction (lol of course they sort of were, but they were also human.)

If we were to have Sora drop into this story, he'd be even more of an outsider who is faced with the knowledge that neither side is truly evil. How would Sora handle that? There wouldn't be an obvious evil to fight (except in Radcliffe, but if I were a KH writer I'd save that for the end when everything comes to a head, obviously)

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

I don't like bringing money up, but Meaghan is probably also cheaper to book than Brittany.
Probably. But what about Hayden? She's got enough of a profile that I doubt she's cheap.
Honestly, both of their careers have just been strange. They're like celebrities without being famous. x'D

The historical inaccuracies are definitely awful. Romanticizing the treatment of the Powhatan natives, not teaching people the fact that Pocahontas and John Smith were not actually in any romantic relationship and that he was actually an older man and her a child when they first met...among other things.
Pocohontas is like if Disney tried to make a fantasy sing-along version of The Diary of Anne Frank. The whole conflict and subsequent genocide calls into question existent power relationships and the legitimacy of the United States as a colonial empire, but that's too heavy for a kid's movie, so they made it a colorful musical romance. Which is seriously screwed up, considering, you know, millions of people died.

But moreover, I just hate the idea of Sora actually interacting with a real historical event (no matter how it has been made to diverge from factual history).

It wasn't really a direct "us vs them" issue. The Huns in the film were clean-cut villains and were treated as such in KH2. Well...Shan Yu at least since he just had a band of merry Heartless to back him rather than his warriors. In Pocahontas, it wasn't so black and white. You had the settlers who believed that by going to the New World, they'd find gold and claim it for their country and help take care of their families with their new riches and honor; and that the natives were evil and greedy among being "savages". In the same vein, the native tribe fought their own battles to bring honor and safety to their people, and believed the settlers were monsters who brought destruction (lol of course they sort of were, but they were also human.)
The Indigenous peoples of the Americas fought back historically for the exact same reason the Chinese nation is depicted as fighting against the Huns in Mulan. A foreign entity was invading our lands, disrupting our lifestyles, and exploiting our resources, all for the sake of colonial expansion and that megalomaniac social theory of manifest destiny. It's telling that the white settlers are depicted with a level of humanity the Huns are never treated with.

If we were to have Sora drop into this story, he'd be even more of an outsider who is faced with the knowledge that neither side is truly evil. How would Sora handle that?
That's exactly why he wouldn't have any relevant perspective to bring to the conflict. There's no need for him to handle it; it's not his fight. Moreover, it would only serve to further romanticize the historic genocide of nations of people as a fantasy story that's resolved by a boy with a giant key. Again, it's tantamount to dropping Sora into Disney-fied World War II Germany, or Disney-fied 18th century France, or Leninist Russia, and seeing how he handles it. It would be jarring and inappropriate there, it's the same here.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

You're making me feel guilty about wanting a Pocahontas world now. I'll admit, it's hardly doing history any favors, but some can also take the film as an abstract legend that gets the audience curious about what actually happened and that's a good thing. Anyone who takes the film too seriously is not familiar with the concept of Disney magic (black or otherwise). Also, Disney is hardly faithful to the fairy tales they base their films on, which are also, generally not child appropriate. I definitely understand where you're coming from, because when we as adults think about how saccharin the Pocahontas movie is when compared to the truth, it's disgusting. Perhaps we the plot could skirt that conflict though, not unlike Ariel being completely segregated from land/humans in KH1. We could just explore the spirituality of the New World fighting off Unversed (if they ever make a comeback). Throwing out hypotheticals. Not sure if her world fits best in KHIII or afterwards, but, anyways, this could go on. Now, if Disney decided to do something similar with Anne Frank... I can't even right now... :x

I honestly don't want a Jungle Book world (I've never even seen the film :x )

You, ma'am, must fix this egregious error soon. It truly is a classic.

I would love to hear Baloo~ ;A;

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

some can also take the film as an abstract legend that gets the audience curious about what actually happened and that's a good thing.
:/
It's not an abstract legend. Mulan is an abstract legend. Aladdin is an abstract legend. Both have their own weird racial implications, but that aside, Pocohontas was a real person, she belonged to a real nation of Indigenous peoples, and this kind of statement simply erases their historic experience and the reality of what occurred here. If people are curious about what happened, then they need to learn the history. We don't turn the Holocaust into an "abstract fantasy event"; we take it as a matter of grave importance that people should know what really went down, out of respect for the families and individuals that suffered through that dark time. We don't treat the Civil Rights Movement of the '60s as a poetic musical that happened in some mystical world far removed from the present day. I'm tired of Indigenous people and our experiences being held to a different standard than every other group of people on the planet.

Anyone who takes the film too seriously is not familiar with the concept of Disney magic (black or otherwise).
Disney magic didn't excuse Song of the South, and it doesn't except them from criticism of any racist or sexist ideas they attempt to reinforce (look what happened over the Merida scandal). Disney is a multinational corporation; their "magic" is a commercial enterprise. They aren't special.

Also, Disney is hardly faithful to the fairy tales they base their films on, which are also, generally not child appropriate.
Fairy tales are not history. Almost every Western fairy tale in existence had already undergone countless permutations (as an aside, I once read a real neat book about this, I wish I could remember the title) before being recorded per the version that most identify as "authentic" today (some actually had more violence added after the fact, in keeping with the direness of the various times in which they were "discovered"). With their fairy tale movies, Disney has simply reinterpreted totally interpretative material. It's fiction, so no matter which version you're getting, it never actually happened.

Perhaps we the plot could skirt that conflict though, not unlike Ariel being completely segregated from land/humans in KH1.
Then they should just adapt a world from Brother Bear. I've never seen that film because I expect it's filled with all kinds of stereotypes and stupid native "mysticism," but at least it's on the same level as Aladdin and Mulan, where you can pass it off as an actual fantasy or myth that doesn't interpret history as romanticized fiction.

Now, if Disney decided to do something similar with Anne Frank... I can't even right now... :x
Then why are you advocating for Pocohontas. I repeat, it's a huge cultural double-standard. :/

EmilyCupcakeee

Website
twitter.com

I would hope most the original voice actors would return. I don't want Hayden voicing Xion or Alyson voicing Kairi or Namine it doesn't sound right. I'd love for the original voice of Ansem Seeker Of Darkness to return but I don't think that'll happen.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Alyson voicing Kairi or Namine it doesn't sound right.

Alyson has never voiced Namine. Namine is voiced by Meaghan Jette Martin.

I'd love for the original voice of Ansem Seeker Of Darkness to return but I don't think that'll happen.

We are eleven years too far from that ever happening. Richard Epcar is a fantastic voice actor with a lot of fame behind him in his own right (has voiced over300 characters!) He was picked specifically because the Japanese voice director wanted "the guy who voiced Batou from Ghost in the Shell in English" because they wanted whoever matched Akio Otsuka, the voice of Batou and Ansem: Seeker of Darkness. They themselves loved Epcar, and with proper voice direction in games post-KH2, he's become a fantastic inclusion in the series.

Epcar also loves talking about Kingdom Hearts which is absolutely fantastic for fans like us who love hearing stories from voice actors. Considering how easy-going he is, and that he's a director AND he owns his own voice recording studio, the guy knows a lot a things about the process and respects the people he gets to work with.

I understand the love of Billy Zane because I love his voice too (and his face depending on the film), but the guy's career has been in the gutter for years now. If he said "no" to Disney for KH2 in 2005/2006, then he put himself in that position and Disney has moved on.

Assume every character that has gotten a recast will have the current voice actor in KH3 (bar Kairi and Xion because they just juggle the ball with them lol.) Aerith with Andrea Bowen, Squall with Doug Erholtz, Yuffie with Mae Whitman, Namine with Meaghan Jette Martin, Ansem-y characters with Richard Epcar, Ansem the Wise with Corey Burton, and so on.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

to be perfectly honest, i think Epcar does a better job at voicing ansem than Billy Zane

The Dead Skin

like tears in rain.
Awards

to be perfectly honest, i think Epcar does a better job at voicing ansem than Billy Zane

I think both do a fine job on their own merits. It's just that Richard had an entirely too high standard to live up to - of course he was going to get hate for his hamming it up in KH2 (as if Zane didn't ham it up in KH1).

But Epcar's only gotten better as time goes on if you ask me. His performance in DDD makes me not miss Zane at all.

Draxem

Website
www.taystrippedbear.com

Never understood why Aqua's english voice got any hate, Willa Holland's voice sounds perfect for Aqua to me. I love the way her voice sort of raises in an elegant manner at the end of each bit of dialogue. Plus Willa is hot as shit in person. I can't see any reason for her not to return, I will be sad if she's not in KH3.

Scorpio

There was plans for a Jungle Book world in Birth By Sleep. People found while data mining that they had build King Louie's throne and some other parts. During the game's development, there were still rights issues with the deceased voice actor's family so it seems that they cut it. Ironically, it was the the same year BBS came out that Disney finally got the rights sorted out.

I don't have the source, but I read somewhere that Nomura planned to include Jungle Book all the way back in KHI, but decided against it to not overcrowd the "jungle" theme along with Tarzan. Even if the rights issues weren't resolved by the time of BBS' release, Louie wasn't guaranteed to appear. Neverland seemed curiously underpopulated...

I honestly don't want a Jungle Book world (I've never even seen the film :x ), mainly because I think Atlantis or Pocahontas would be easier to fit into the overarching plot of KH3. Atlantis considering a part of its story is about the "heart" of Atlantis which has given its people longevity and great power, something that can be fit with Xehanort's story. Also the fact that Leonard Nimoy is the King of Atlantis is perfect already. Also means Cree Summer's beautiful voice can be heard.

I agree; Atlantis could be integrated seamlessly into t he main plotline, and even my problems with Act III of the film's story could be rectified if some time could be spent exploring the city. Nimoy's affiliated with the series better guarantees an appearance, but I wish Don Novello would be able to do the same for reprising Vinny, even at his own advanced age. He seemed to have no problem reprising the character for the direct-to-video sequel and video game, so for now I can only hope.

Also...LOL I doubt Mel Gibson would reprise John Smith without Disney offering a lot of money, but...Everybody else is more likely.

Gibson didn't bring anything to the role; he was most likely cast because he was a popular actor at the time. Nolan North could fill in that role easily.

I agree, though Zane's portrayal will always have a place in my memory (The scene at the beginning of the game in the Secret Place...that voice gave me chills as a kid.)

Now, if Disney decided to do something similar with Anne Frank... I can't even right now... :x

Well, now that you mention it...

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Well if people will have such a major issue with Pocahontas, they should do it before The English arrive. That way it'd kind of show why Pocahontas was more open-minded to them in the movie. Have Sora and company leave a little before the English arrive. I just really want a Pocahontas world.

Back