• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

Keep the more recent cast for the characters but change Terra's unless the guy gets better.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - What VAs do you want to see return for KH3?

I can't help it if you're splitting hairs over this. He's younger than Master Xehanort. So, he's a young Xehanort. Not-Ansem is Xehanort. He was Xehanort's heartless. He was voiced by Billy Zane. Then he was replaced by Richard Epcar. And since teenage Xehanort did not have an official voice, Billy Zane could easily reprise the role without stepping on anyone's feet.

You seem to fail to comprehend that someone is entirely free to define these characters as they wish. Especially a character as convoluted as Xehanort, who's possessed several bodies, jumped through time, and is really just crazy.

She's not splitting hairs. The issue here is that the names you personally use for these characters conflict with the official names that's been provided for them, thereby causing confusion.

Even now, I honestly have no idea what character you're referring to when you say "Teenage Xehanort." If you're referring to Ansem SoD/Xehanort's Heartless/your "Young Xehanort," Richard Epcar is his official voice now. If you're referring to the actual Young Xehanort, KHI's favorite voice actor Ben Diskin is his official voice.

So, since this thread is NOT about how I choose to define a character not being someone who he isn't but is, you should really just stay on topic and be more respectful.

That is very hypocritical, sir.

As it stands, I can wish for Billy Zane instead of Richard Epcar. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Indeed, but that's no reason to shoot down anyone who's trying to explain otherwise.

Keep the more recent cast for the characters but change Terra's unless the guy gets better.

Haters, all of you. We've had worse VAs, and it's pretty hard to ignore the vast improvement in his voice acting throughout the whole of BBS.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

As it stands, I can wish for Billy Zane instead of Richard Epcar. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

As Sign addressed the rest, I'll address this:

Not once did anybody disagree with you on this. I love Billy Zane's voice in KH1 and miss him, but I also think he's a washed up actor who can't land a job better than a Lifetime film now.

We're disagreeing with the way you're addressing characters because quite honestly referring to characters outside of their canon names gets REALLY confusing.

Haters, all of you. We've had worse VAs, and it's pretty hard to ignore the vast improvement in his voice acting throughout the whole of BBS.

Lol yeah he got a lot better during BBS. I think he'll do fine in KH3, as long as he gets some practice lines before diving in.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

Hey, no hate on him, actually more... I LOVE Terra. I do agree that his voice acting got better during BBS, but I have to wonder if they would let him do a retake on the game if they would do a 2.5 with BBS in it.

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com

She's not splitting hairs. The issue here is that the names you personally use for these characters conflict with the official names that's been provided for them, thereby causing confusion.

Even now, I honestly have no idea what character you're referring to when you say "Teenage Xehanort." If you're referring to Ansem SoD/Xehanort's Heartless/your "Young Xehanort," Richard Epcar is his official voice now. If you're referring to the actual Young Xehanort, KHI's favorite voice actor Ben Diskin is his official voice.

That is very hypocritical, sir.

Indeed, but that's no reason to shoot down anyone who's trying to explain otherwise.

There's far too many Ansems and Xehanorts, but that doesn't change the fact that as I see it, most of the Xehanorts we see are off shoots or so closely related that each person is completely allowed to draw their own conclusions on how best to identify them. Since, in canon, they're all Xehanort. It's splitting hairs. I've found my way, and it works. I feel that's all that needs to be said on the matter.

I'm sorry for the confusion, but officially that's how I identify those clones. It's how I trained myself.

As for Billy Zane's career, I know nothing about the individual, nor do I care. In my opinion he was a superior young Xehanort to any of the other actors that portrayed the character. People can all have their own favorites, but none of them were very good to me. I just thought Richard was too obviously evil, and his voice had no charm. Zane's voice was smooth, almost unnervingly so for the villain.

Unless it's elder Xehanort. Then Spock all the way.

Now, as for Terra, he was quite atrocious. His performance left me utterly disconnected with Terra. I'd rather see Matt Lanter, that's who I always imagine as Terra's actor.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

There's far too many Ansems and Xehanorts, but that doesn't change the fact that as I see it, most of the Xehanorts we see are off shoots or so closely related that each person is completely allowed to draw their own conclusions on how best to identify them. Since, in canon, they're all Xehanort. It's splitting hairs. I've found my way, and it works. I feel that's all that needs to be said on the matter.

I'm sorry for the confusion, but officially that's how I identify those clones. It's how I trained myself.

As for Billy Zane's career, I know nothing about the individual, nor do I care. In my opinion he was a superior young Xehanort to any of the other actors that portrayed the character. People can all have their own favorites, but none of them were very good to me. I just thought Richard was too obviously evil, and his voice had no charm. Zane's voice was smooth, almost unnervingly so for the villain.

Unless it's elder Xehanort. Then Spock all the way.

Now, as for Terra, he was quite atrocious. His performance left me utterly disconnected with Terra. I'd rather see Matt Lanter, that's who I always imagine as Terra's actor.
I realize that you've given the characters your own personal titles so it's easier for you to identify them, but by not using their canon titles you make it impossible for anyone else to understand who the heck you're referring to which is incredibly rude.

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com

I realize that you've given the characters your own personal titles so it's easier for you to identify them, but by not using their canon titles you make it impossible for anyone else to understand who the heck you're referring to which is incredibly rude.

I kind of thought noting Billy Zane was obvious enough. Or False Ansem. As far as the games tell me, they don't get as nitpicky. So identity is in the eyes of the beholder. Nothing here seems out of place, besides, what, I guess the wiki? I fail to see the argument to derail a thread. They're all Xehanorts, what else matters?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I kind of thought noting Billy Zane was obvious enough. Or False Ansem. As far as the games tell me, they don't get as nitpicky. So identity is in the eyes of the beholder. Nothing here seems out of place, besides, what, I guess the wiki? I fail to see the argument to derail a thread. They're all Xehanorts, what else matters?
Billy Zane is, yes. Referring to them by their voice actors is probably the next best thing to referring to their actual names and is fine. Most of us know their VA's.

I'm not really sure what games you've played, but they actually give these characters names in game. We're just trying to attempt to get you to refer to them by names that everyone can understand so they can actually discuss things with you, lol.

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com

I've played all of them up to DDD, just started that one. But I fail to see its bearing on naming conventions. I get the Terra-Xehanort, I get Master Xehanort. And Not-Ansem, or young Xehanort. It's simply convoluted, It would be to anyone. But everyone has their own way of identifying these off shoots.

This is still a non-issue. I'm not going to start calling them something else just because. I've followed the story, I have my rights. Xehanort's heartless, or Not-Ansem, is satisfactory enough.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I've played all of them up to DDD, just started that one. But I fail to see its bearing on naming conventions. I get the Terra-Xehanort, I get Master Xehanort. And Not-Ansem, or young Xehanort. It's simply convoluted, It would be to anyone. But everyone has their own way of identifying these off shoots.

This is still a non-issue. I'm not going to start calling them something else just because. I've followed the story, I have my rights. Xehanort's heartless, or Not-Ansem, is satisfactory enough.
You're free to refer to the characters as whatever you wish, but you need to be aware that this is a public forum and you're going to keep confusing people if you don't refer to the characters by their actual names or something easier to recognize than "Not-Ansem".

Xehanort's Heartless is fine actually because they do call him that in KH2, I believe, so it's still easy to understand who you're referring to.

But that's the last I'll say on the matter.

Inner-Demon

The Old Master
Website
www.youtube.com

I still know people who are confused even when they apply their own logic. When everyone sees the game in their own light, they reach unique definitions. And I'm always happy to elaborate on an example if it is that confusing. I just don't believe it is. I'm pleased that it's settled.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I've played all of them up to DDD, just started that one.
I'm actually excited to see what you're going to call the actual Young Xehanort.

sonickenshin

Awards

I...didn't think he improved at all. I mean...I wished he did. I wanted him to. But, he didn't. : ( He can only pull off Terra being extremely angry, but everything else...not so much. Most of his other lines feel like feel...indifferent and lacking in personality, and his one emotional scene with Eraqus felt kind of phony. I hope this changes in Kingdom Hearts III. And hopefully Willa Holland improves, too. She was also pretty uninteresting as well. :/

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards

guys I think Jim Cummings will be in the game ok

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Who do I want to return?

Leon: Everyone (HD) - YouTube

guys I think Jim Cummings will be in the game ok
Well, jee, if he doesn't return, then there goes half of the character's voices.

Also, just gonna say this now... I MUCH prefer Terra's ENG VA over his JAP VA. His JAP VA makes him sound way too old and too much of a strongman. Terra's English voice actually changes over time, which seems odd at first, but I say why they went that route. During the beginning of the game, his voice was generally happier, younger, full of life. But then as he fails the test, starts following Xehanort, his voice becomes darker and softer... and then by the time he sees his friends in a plot that could get them all killed, he gets furious. And when he got furious, he got furious! And then finally, once he is reduced to just a heart fighting it's way to regain control, he speaks very monotone, yet not emotionless.

Willa Holland... have her return just for consistency's sake, but I hope she improves. I mean, she wasn't as bad as Menu Suvari, but she could have been better.

And I'm sorry, but there's no reason Billy Zane should return. At all. He hasn't played the part in 11 years and if he was really going to return, do you honestly think his performance would be on par to KH1? Probably not. I'm sure he's completely forgotten about the role and probably wouldn't do a good job if he suddenly returned. It's much better to keep Richard Epcar in for both consistency's sake and because Epcar has stuck with them for so long that at this point, he IS Xehanort.

Last edited:

kingmickey88

So why is there a big discussion about Billy Zane, Its a odd choice to bring him back after not doing the role in 11 years... I like Richard as the voice. He has been a good fit for the character. I know this would be a long shot and probably won't happen but I hope that Sir Christopher Lee returns one last time for Ansem the wise... won't happen though :(

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

So why is there a big discussion about Billy Zane, Its a odd choice to bring him back after not doing the role in 11 years... I like Richard as the voice. He has been a good fit for the character. I know this would be a long shot and probably won't happen but I hope that Sir Christopher Lee returns one last time for Ansem the wise... won't happen though :(

I personally never understood all this swooning of Billy Zane. He just did the role once for a few sentences while Richard Epcar has not only done it for the whole series, nope, he also identifies with the role and likes to voice Xehanort and Ansem SoD.
For Sir Christopher Lee it would depend mainly on two things. One if he has the time to do it and two if they would allow him to record his lines in England.
Due to his advanced age, Lee doesn't feel comfortable doing long travels anymore so he rarely leaves the British Isles anymore and if he does it's only within Europe like when he attended a film festival in Berlin in 2012.
For his involvement with "The Hobbit" Peter Jackson actually changed production schedule in order to allow Sir Lee to do his parts as Saruman in a studio in England.
So if Disney/Square don't allow the same I'm afraid he won't reprise the role.

kingmickey88

I personally never understood all this swooning of Billy Zane. He just did the role once for a few sentences while Richard Epcar has not only done it for the whole series, nope, he also identifies with the role and likes to voice Xehanort and Ansem SoD.
For Sir Christopher Lee it would depend mainly on two things. One if he has the time to do it and two if they would allow him to record his lines in England.
Due to his advanced age, Lee doesn't feel comfortable doing long travels anymore so he rarely leaves the British Isles anymore and if he does it's only within Europe like when he attended a film festival in Berlin in 2012.
For his involvement with "The Hobbit" Peter Jackson actually changed production schedule in order to allow Sir Lee to do his parts as Saruman in a studio in England.
So if Disney/Square don't allow the same I'm afraid he won't reprise the role.
I do think it is amazing that he has still alive and still does roles... Even with Sauraman. so with a game like KH they would have to travel to london to give him his lines so he could record near his home?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I do think it is amazing that he has still alive and still does roles... Even with Sauraman. so with a game like KH they would have to travel to london to give him his lines so he could record near his home?
Unfortunately, Disney doesn't do that. For some reason they prefer if everyone does it at their studio in, I think, Burbank.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Unfortunately, Disney doesn't do that. For some reason they prefer if everyone does it at their studio in, I think, Burbank.

Yes in Burbank. They have Skylark Sound Studios contracted I believe, so it is to their advantage to use them as often as possible.

Back