• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - Corey Burton On Voice Acting

I'm gonna have to agree with breaktheice16 here. Corey Burton as Ansem is too distracting. It's just Yen Sid with a new face.
And you guys saying "They can't get Christopher Lee, stop asking," that isn't what he was saying. >_>
He's saying they should have gotten a different person who could make a better impression. And honestly, I have to agree here. It was all for convenience sake that they got Corey Burton to just be Ansem while he was already voicing. Regardless if it's convenient or not, it IS a distraction.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards

It doesn't make or break the game, I don't see the problem with two characters sounding the same. I didn't realize people took KH this seriously..

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

It doesn't make or break the game, I don't see the problem with two characters sounding the same.

Of course not, but that doesn't mean it's not a distraction. You can say that about the lack of crowds in Olympus Coliseum and the Hunchback of Notre Dame world. Sure, they don't break the game, but they do distract.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards

Of course not, but that doesn't mean it's not a distraction. You can say that about the lack of crowds in Olympus Coliseum and the Hunchback of Notre Dame world. Sure, they don't break the game, but they do distract.
Never distracted me while playing,it wasn't until after I was like"wait..what!? lol"
I think you get a little too invested into the games man..just a little. imo

WayToDusk

While I don't care much for Corey Burton's performance as Ansem the Wise, I can still respect it. Not to mention, he's doing better more recently than he was back in re:CoM. That, or I've gotten used to it...

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I think you get a little too invested into the games man..just a little. imo

Because I acknowledge when there is an obvious problem or distraction with a game...? o_0
I really don't know what you mean by "too invested." I'm not obsessively having KH in my mind throughout my whole day, nor do I play the games all the time. I'm a fan, yes. But I'm not obsessive. Seeing these obvious problems or distractions in video games is as simple as just paying attention and not mindlessly playing like zombies.

While I don't care much for Corey Burton's performance as Ansem the Wise, I can still respect it. Not to mention, he's doing better more recently than he was back in re:CoM. That, or I've gotten used to it...

I'd say it's the opposite actually. In Re:CoM, it sounded like he was at least trying to sound similar to Christopher Lee. After that, it really sounds like he decided to just do the Yen Sid voice again.
He's not a bad voice actor, but the problem is that he sounds exactly like Yen Sid. Seriously, put Ansem's dialogue over Yen Sid speaking and you wouldn't even tell that it's supposed to be two different characters. At least with Frollo, you can tell he was trying to emulate Tony Jay and he doesn't sound exactly like Yen Sid. With Ansem, it's just Yen Sid in a different body.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards

Because I acknowledge when there is an obvious problem or distraction with a game...? o_0
I really don't know what you mean by "too invested." I'm not obsessively having KH in my mind throughout my whole day, nor do I play the games all the time. I'm a fan, yes. But I'm not obsessive. Seeing these obvious problems or distractions in video games is as simple as just paying attention and not mindlessly playing like zombies.

If you don't like Corey Burtons VA then turn the volume down, I think he did a wonderful Yen Sid and Ansem(even if they sound the same WGAF?!).
Next you're going to hate on Tony Anselmo for voicing Donald duck AND Huey Dewey and Louie.

I really don't mind the VA in the series, I didn't think James Earl Jones could pull off a female voice, but then I heard Aqua. <3

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

If you don't like Corey Burtons VA then turn the volume down

picard-facepalm.jpg

That is the dumbest thing I think I ever read you say. The "You don't like it, don't watch it" argument is easily one of the dumbest arguments in the history of arguments.

Next you're going to hate on Tony Anselmo for voicing Donald duck AND Huey Dewey and Louie.

No, because they actually sound different. You can tell they're different characters just by listening to their voice. It is not at all the same thing. >_>

And I love how you completely ignore my statement about not hating Corey Burton and acknowledging he's a good voice actor, but that him sounding exactly like Ansem IS a distraction. It's not that it's the same voice actor. It's that it SOUNDS the same. You can have a good voice actor voice various different characters and they all sound completely different. Case in point, Jim Cummings. And as I said before, he was okay in Re:CoM, but has gotten progressively worse as Ansem. And YES, them sounding the same IS something worth complaining about in ANY series >_>

Last edited:

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards

I just don't understand how it's distracting, I'm sure many games have characters who sound the same.

If you don't like it, don't play it. >.> <.< ^.^ :3

but seriously, I'm on the phone with Corey Burton, he said he'll try harder next time for sure.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I just don't understand how it's distracting, I'm sure many games have characters who sound the same.

How is it not? When you hear a certain voice, you associate that voice to a character. Unless there's a plot reason for them to sound the same, they should not.

Answer me this. How would you like it if Haley Joel Osment is called to voice Sora, Riku? And he does not change his voice at all and it's the Sora voice. Is that not going to sound off? Is that not going to be a distraction? Answer me legitimately, not by trolling and not by sarcasm. Legitimately, would you HONESTLY be happy with Haley Joel Osment voicing Riku without attempting to change it from his Sora voice at all.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards

It honestly wouldn't bother me because it's just a game, I would have to except it regardless of how I felt.

I would be happy with it, only because I'M PLAYING A KINGDOM HEARTS GAME AND IT'S SO FUN, as long as I'm following the story I don't care how they sound.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I don't suppose you guys could take this argument to VMs and leave the thread open for actual voice actor discussion?

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

It honestly wouldn't bother me because it's just a game, I would have to except it regardless of how I felt.

*accept

So basically you're one of those who think that it is pointless to criticize anything ever, regardless of how bad it gets.
I have to wonder then why you are even on khinsider, one of the KH websites most notoriously known for criticizing various aspects of the series, some more nitpicky than others.

I don't suppose you guys could take this argument to VMs and leave the thread open for actual voice actor discussion?

I really don't care to continue the conversation at all beyond this point so I'm done.
By the way, how is this NOT Voice Actor discussion?

Last edited:

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards

my bad.

So basically you're one of those who think that it is pointless to criticize anything ever, regardless of how bad it gets.
I have to wonder then why you are even on khinsider, one of the KH websites most notoriously known for criticizing various aspects of the series, some more nitpicky than others.
came for the discussion, stayed for Chihuahuaman and friends.

I think we should either agree to disagree or take this to VM

will do

Bad Asp

I don't know where else to put this post, but since this thread is about KH voice actors, I might as well post it here.

I think a company made fun of one of the main voice actors in the KH series, in other words, Bill Farmer, aka Goofy himself!

The company I speak of is Telltale Games, and the game I speak of is Poker Night 2.

Watch this video and you'll see what I mean:

[video=youtube;El4SvT7rsS4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El4SvT7rsS4[/video]

Skip to 2:45.

I worry that that certain scene in the video might be offensive, since Bill Farmer (who is the original voice of Sam, by the way) is a respectable voice actor. I even formed a Facebook group called "Save Sam and Max" for the purpose of bringing his voice back!

Last edited:

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

I did not know that about farmer. It could've been an intended reference.

Bad Asp

Yeah.

His last project as Sam was the cancelled Sam and Max game from 2004. I would like to see it finished one day... *sigh*

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

While I think there ideally should be different voices for Ansem and Yen Sid, I can't fault burton for them being identical. His first attempt at DiZ was a little jarring lay different from Christopher Lee and he certainly did well in blank points but even a voice actor I guess has his limits. Sterling Holloway essentially used the same voice for both Pooh and Kaa in the Jungle Book.

It should also be noted that Burton voices Count Dooku in Star Wars: the Clone Wars.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards

While I think there ideally should be different voices for Ansem and Yen Sid, I can't fault burton for them being identical. His first attempt at DiZ was a little jarring lay different from Christopher Lee and he certainly did well in blank points but even a voice actor I guess has his limits. Sterling Holloway essentially used the same voice for both Pooh and Kaa in the Jungle Book.

It should also be noted that Burton voices Count Dooku in Star Wars: the Clone Wars.

The first time I saw Jungle Book I thought "Why does the snake sound like Pooh?!" xD
Since the first game came out 11 years ago and there being another saga after KH3 do you guys think HJO and David Gallagher will want to keep playing Sora and Riku? I know do play the same roles for a long time (just look at Disney) but do you think they'll want to stay on? We've already had several main characters change voices (Kairi, Namine, Ansem SoD, and of course Ansem the Wise).

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

That's a good question. They certainly haven't done a huge amount of popular stuff outside these games. From that standpoint, the series could be seen as either holding them back, or being their most consistent source of income.

Back