• We have brought back Future of KINGDOM HEARTS as our main Kingdom Hearts section. Discuss any projects including Phase 2 developments, the rumored Disney Plus series, all TWEWY-related news, theories about the future of Kingdom Hearts, and any general topics in this section. For anything related to Kingdom Hearts Memory of Melody, please discuss it in the KINGDOM HEARTS Memory of Melody section.
  • Although unrelated to Kingdom Hearts, we are aware that there might be fans of The Last of Us on our forums. We ask that you please keep all spoilers for The Last of Us 2 spoiler-tagged. Any untagged spoilers will result in a temporary ban from the site.

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DuckTales WOO HOO! David Tennant in KH3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I don't want to sound insensitive to Japanese culture, but is that silence of characters whose voice actors passed away rule something that they enforce forever? I can understand not recasting for a project that they were currently working on when they passed away, but would they still enforce it 10-20 years later if the property is revisited?
I don't think so, and it largely varies on what the role that specific character from the Disney world plays, I mean Phil not speaking in Olympus in KH3 had to do with partly due to Nagai's death and also he didn't play much a role when compared to his previous KH appearances for Olympus Coliseum. Even Japanese fans who grew up with Nagai's voice of Phil from the Japanese dub of the film and the KH games would feel awkward if they choose a different actor to voice him. Of course that's subjective and debatable as we had two different actors for Winnie the Pooh in the Japanese version of the KH games before they passed away with Mitsuaki Kanuka taking over in KH3: Shun Yashiro who voiced Pooh in the first KH (until his passing in 2003) and Sukekiyo Kameyama who voiced Pooh in KH2 and BBS (until his passing in 2013).

I think They only would replace an actor/actress if the character is important and if they pass away during production of an episode of a show for instance in the 2011 adaptation of Hunter x Hunter, Ichiro Nagai voiced Chairman Netero, but when he passed away Banjo Ginga took over the role starting in the final half of the Chimera Ant arc. For Bleach, Tomoko Kawakami who originally voiced Soi Fon passed away before Houko Kuwashima took over the character due to Soi Fon appearing in some episodes. Even the same can be said when the original voice for Professor Oak and the Narrator in Pokémon Unshō Ishizuka passed away they got a new actor, along with Bulma's original voice actress Hiromi Tsuru passing away before the got a new voice actress to voice her in the later episodes of DBS. Other times if the character doesn't play a big role or the voice for this character that the actor/actress played is so iconic to be replaced they would decide not to recast them out of respect for the actor/actress (e.g. Tomuki Dan as Kisame in Naruto).

Also it isn't in Japan, but also in some American productions like in The Simpsons and some Pixar films, when the actor/actress who voiced a particular character pass away they either would recast them or in the case with the Simpsons they "retire" that character out of respect for the original actor/actress.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I don't think so, and it largely varies on what the role that specific character from the Disney world plays, I mean Phil not speaking in Olympus in KH3 had to do with partly due to Nagai's death and also he didn't play much a role when compared to his previous KH appearances. Even Japanese fans who grew up with Nagai's voice of Phil from the Japanese dub of the film and the KH games would feel awkward if they choose a different actor to voice him. Of course that's subjective and debatable as we had two different actors for Winnie the Pooh in the Japanese version of the KH games before they passed away with Mitsuaki Kanuka taking over in KH3: Shun Yashiro who voiced Pooh in the first KH (until his passing in 2003) and Sukekiyo Kameyama who voiced Pooh in KH2 and BBS (until his passing in 2013).

I think They only would replace an actor/actress if the character is important and if they pass away during production of an episode of a show for instance in the 2011 adaptation of Hunter x Hunter Ichiro Nagai voiced Chairman Netero, but when he passed away Banjo Ginga took over the role starting in the final half of the Chimera Ant arc, and in Bleach Tomoko Kawakami who voiced Soi Fon passed away before Houko Kuwashima. Even the same can be said when the original voice for Professor Oak and the Narrator in Pokémon Unshō Ishizuka passed away they got a new actor, along with Bulma's original voice actress Hiromi Tsuru passing away before in later episodes of DBS. Other times if the character doesn't play a big role or they like the iconic voice for this character that the actor/actress played before their passing they would decide not to recast them out of respect for the actor/actress (e.g. Tomuki Dan in Naruto)

Also it isn't in Japan, but also in some American productions like in The Simpsons and some Pixar films, when the actor/actress who voiced a particular character pass away they either would recast them or in the case with the Simpsons they "retire" that character.
I get that and thank you for replying.

It's just I can't imagine limiting the usage of the property because of a situation like this. A Simpsons character being "retired" makes sense, but on the flip side what if it was the voice actor for Homer or Bart? Would the show just end? I suppose it's a case by case basis. I'm sure if Phil were to ever return to the KH series and be needed in a larger role, they would find a replacement.

I mean look at the Master Xehanort situation. He's been through 3 English voice actors and he's vital to the story. I did like that they respected the voice actor who voiced him in KH3 and didn't replace the work done in KH3 vanilla. But still, they had to continue on with him because ReMIND required Master Xehanort.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
  • O, Purest of Hearts
  • Come So Far
  • Beauty Within
  • Steadfast Heart
  • Curiouser and Curiouser
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
I mean look at the Master Xehanort situation. He's been through 3 English voice actors and he's vital to the story. I did like that they respected the voice actor who voiced him in KH3 and didn't replace the work done in KH3 vanilla. But still, they had to continue on with him because ReMIND required Master Xehanort.
Keep in mind, Xehanort's original voice in Japan also died before KH3, and they replaced him with his son. Vexen's voice also died, and many other Disney voices throughout the series have died -- but Disney will work on projects regardless of KH or not, so eventually Disney Character Voices will find Japanese voices for Phil and Goofy, regardless of customs. It's a case-by-case basis, but Nomura has shown he's fine with replacing original characters, given the need, and Disney's gonna do it anyway.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I get that and thank you for replying.

It's just I can't imagine limiting the usage of the property because of a situation like this. A Simpsons character being "retired" makes sense, but on the flip side what if it was the voice actor for Homer or Bart? Would the show just end? I suppose it's a case by case basis. I'm sure if Phil were to ever return to the KH series and be needed in a larger role, they would find a replacement.

Don't forge the same thing happened with Vexen's voice actor Nachi Nozawa, when he passed away in October 2010 just 9 months after BBS came out. Following his death they decided to make Even be unconscious in DDD after his human form got recompleted which would explain why he didn't have any dialogue. By KH3 when Vexen/Even had a major role in the game was when they use Shigeru Chiba to take over.

Even the same can be said for Minnie not having ANY lines in KH3 due to the death of her Japanese voice actress in 2016 and why Chip and Dale were the ones mainly communicating through Sora via the Gummi Phone.

RetroPokeFan

Awards
Dag nab it, this is not what I wanted to wake up to this morning.

Terribly saddened to confirm that Keiji Fujiwara (Axel’s Japanese VA) has passed away at the age of 55.

Keiji not only brought Axel to spectacular life but also both Reno from Final Fantasy VII and Ardyn from Final Fantasy XV in addition to other characters such as Hiroshi Nohara from Crayon Shin-chan, Hannes from Attack on Titan and Leorio from Hunter x Hunter. He was also the dubbing actor for Robert Downey Jr in the Marvel movies too.

R.I.P. Keiji Fujiwara.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Dag nab it, this is not what I wanted to wake up to this morning.

Terribly saddened to confirm that Keiji Fujiwara (Axel’s Japanese VA) has passed away at the age of 55.

Keiji not only brought Axel to spectacular life but also both Reno from Final Fantasy VII and Ardyn from Final Fantasy XV in addition to other characters such as Hiroshi Nohara from Crayon Shin-chan, Hannes from Attack on Titan and Leorio from Hunter x Hunter. He was also the dubbing actor for Robert Downey Jr in the Marvel movies too.

R.I.P. Keiji Fujiwara.
Oh no, that sucks that this happened.

My deep condolences to his friends and family. RIP Keiji.

Status
Not open for further replies.