The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DuckTales WOO HOO! David Tennant in KH3?

• Total voters

sonickenshin

Awards
Yozora sounds like someone completely new. He sounds really cool though. Really smooth, and deep, but still young.

Aerith is sounds like an older Andrea Bowen. So it's probably an older Andrea Bowen

blank points

Awards
This is a bit random, but after seeing the trailer the other day, I had a dream last night that Kevin Spacey was confirmed to be voicing Yozora. Don't know where that came from, but I can't help but laugh a bit.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
  • News Hound
So based on the Japanese trailer Yozora isn’t voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki (Noctis’ jp VA) Japanese fans are saying it’s Tasuku Hatanaka.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Oh yeah, then that's definitely her.
Yeah it's definitely Andrea Bowen, so case is closed and EVERYONE won't have to worry about Mena Suvari voicing her again.

Now all that remains if Yuffie and wether Mae Whitman will return to voice her again, cause the last time Mae voiced Yuffie was in the Dirge of Cerberus game. Looking forward to January.

Last edited:

Launchpad

unwavering duck pilot
Awards
  • Disney Royalty
  • In the Grid
  • Plum Goofy
God Riku sounds bad in KH3. What happened? Is it the script? Direction? David Gallagher sabotaging Riku????

What's even weirder is that he does so much better as Dark Riku. When he's voicing the petulant brat, I can totally buy it, but when he's the older and more mature Riku, he just sounds like a lame robot

2 quid is good

Awards
God Riku sounds bad in KH3. What happened? Is it the script? Direction? David Gallagher sabotaging Riku????

What's even weirder is that he does so much better as Dark Riku. When he's voicing the petulant brat, I can totally buy it, but when he's the older and more mature Riku, he just sounds like a lame robot
Alyson Stoner sounded like she was phoning it in for Kairi too :/
I agree. If you compare to her performance from FF Mobius, it sounds exactly the same.

Thanks for this! I was trying to find some newer voice footage from Andrea Bowen to compare but could only find crisis core, which still sounded quite a bit like her but enough to make me unsure.

Now for figuring out Yozora XD

Amadeus

Awards

Alyson Stoner sounded like she was phoning it in for Kairi too :/
Agreed on all points. I think it's the voice director, because for some reason every character REALLY enunciated each and every sound in their words. That's not naturally a part of typical American English accents; listen to Sora's lines from the opening movie. It sounds like this:

They can take your world.
They can take your heart.
Cut you loose from all you know.
But if it's your fate—
Then every step forward will always be a step closer to home.

The /t/ and /d/ dental consonant sounds are not always super articulated in American English when at the ends of words. As a result, the dialogue in KH3 sounded unnatural in part because of the over-enunciation of consonants, or at least it did to me.

Interestingly, in Sora's opening monologue, "to" in "step closer to home" comes out more naturally, sounding more like "duh" (which the d sound being between a d and a t, I think y'all know what I mean).

Tl;dr the KH3 characters were too articulate, and we all know that isn't natural so they sound robotic and stiff when we hear them.

FudgemintGuardian

"Indeeeeeeeeeeeeed."
Awards
  • The Foreteller
  • Put That Thing Back Where It Came From
  • Savage Nymph
  • Come So Far
  • Beauty Within
  • O, Purest of Hearts
Tl;dr the KH3 characters were too articulate, and we all know that isn't natural so they sound robotic and stiff when we hear them.
Why the ding dang diddly would the actors even be directed this way? No good voice director would hear that and think it sounds right.