• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

It'd be so much better if they would hire "real" VA's. I just feel they take their jobs a lot more serious the Actors doing voicework.

Oh come on. There are plenty actors that were originally actors and did amazing jobs. Christopher Lee! Billy Zane! HJO! David Gallagher! I know Willa hasn't voice acted before but give her a chance and she'll grow on you.

BlackBlitz7

Website
burstingenergy.ultimaterpg.org

Oh come on. There are plenty actors that were originally actors and did amazing jobs. Christopher Lee! Billy Zane! HJO! David Gallagher! I know Willa hasn't voice acted before but give her a chance and she'll grow on you.

Granted, but I just meant I feel like "real" VA's care more and of course have more experience seeing as they are reused time after time again.
And I wasn't really referring to Willa, just speaking on the subject in general.

Sempied

That and:

Pat Morita: Emperor of China (Recycled dialogue)

Mark Hamill: Eraqus

Lenard Nimoy: Master Xehanort

Cristy Carlson Romano: Yuffie

Jim Cumming: Pete, Tigger, Winnie the Pooh

Chris Sanders: Stitch

James Woods: Hades

I'd take these, and Willa Holland over any fan dub any day. (I'm still cringing at how bad the CGNET, and KHV fan dubs are)

EDIT: You've also got to consider that most of the original cast of KH1 hadn't done any voice work in the past. Yes they had acted, but their light into voice acting was started there. I can see where your coming from. (I would've enjoyed someone like Keith David to join the fray.)

ispoiledmyself

if anyone is still having problems with aqua's voice,watch the E3 trailer like a million times and dont watch any of the japanese videos and I guarantee you'll get used to it then. Thats what i did!

sonickenshin

Awards

I'd take these, and Willa Holland over any fan dub any day. (I'm still cringing at how bad the CGNET, and KHV fan dubs are)
While I agree KHV's fandubs aren't exactly great as a whole...I dunno, I like their Aqua better than Willa Holland.

Those weren't recycled dialogue they used in KH2.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

That and:

Mark Hamill: Eraqus

Lenard Nimoy: Master Xehanort

Cristy Carlson Romano: Yuffie

Jim Cumming: Pete, Tigger, Winnie the Pooh

Chris Sanders: Stitch

James Woods: Hades

EDIT: You've also got to consider that most of the original cast of KH1 hadn't done any voice work in the past. Yes they had acted, but their light into voice acting was started there. I can see where your coming from. (I would've enjoyed someone like Keith David to join the fray.)

I agree with you so much.

Personally, I can't stand fandubs. Like, no offense (there were a few threads a while back for BBS trailer fandubs here), but I couldn't stand listening to them. They were pretty good for a fandub, but I'd take the official dub over it any day (though CGNET's were certainly an improvement over TwilightChaser's) Now if only TwilightChaser would just stop going around trolling all the E3 trailers on Youtube and bragging about how awesome his fandub is, then that would be ideal...

But enough about the fandubs.

Sempied

While I agree KHV's fandubs aren't exactly great as a whole...I dunno, I like their Aqua better than Willa Holland.

Those weren't recycled dialogue they used in KH2.
Their Aqua had more emotion, but just sounded to high pitch that it was almost annoying as Vanille's from FFXIII. Their Terra sounded so bad that.....I don't even want to go there. (Don't get me started on their Vanitas, and MX)

Didn't Pat Morita die in 2001?

I agree with you so much.

Personally, I can't stand fandubs. Like, no offense (there were a few threads a while back for BBS trailer fandubs here), but I couldn't stand listening to them. They were pretty good for a fandub, but I'd take the official dub over it any day (though CGNET's were certainly an improvement over TwilightChaser's) Now if only TwilightChaser would just stop going around trolling all the E3 trailers on Youtube and bragging about how awesome his fandub is, then that would be ideal...

But enough about the fandubs.
I could actually stand with Aqua, Ven's in this.....And that was pretty much it for CGNET.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I loled at the Youtube comments that say "OMG! CGNETS FANDUB IS BETTER THAN THE OFFICIAL CAST!!!" and I simply just think "they're an idiot." CGNet was good for a fandub but that's only because fandubs generally suck.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards

Hey skyfoxx I wasn't going to bring it up again, but since YOU did....

Guys cmon, we all know that Terra is going to be voiced by DA ROCK.

I mean cmon! Terra's beefy, DA ROCK is beefy...

They both are pretty much black so it would make a perfect fit!

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I loled at the Youtube comments that say "OMG! CGNETS FANDUB IS BETTER THAN THE OFFICIAL CAST!!!" and I simply just think "they're an idiot." CGNet was good for a fandub but that's only because fandubs generally suck.

Hmm, haven't seen those. I've just seen the aforementioned TwilightChaser's comments. Seriously, the guy trolls like all the trailer vids and leaves comments saying how his fandub is awesome at least once a day. It makes me laugh ;D

As for CGNet's...well, Aqua and Ven were pretty good for a fandub. Everyone else I didn't like...at all. But I tend to stay away from fandubs in general, so it's not like it matters.

So rawpower, since you're here and all, do you have anything else to say besides the usual?

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Hey skyfoxx I wasn't going to bring it up again, but since YOU did....

Guys cmon, we all know that Terra is going to be voiced by DA ROCK.

I mean cmon! Terra's beefy, DA ROCK is beefy...

They both are pretty much black so it would make a perfect fit!

Did you honestly think that voice in the trailer sounded like "DA ROCK"? -_-;

αsiя

space coke

If Terra is voiced by DA ROCK, then DA ROCK sounds like a bitch. BTW the guy refers to himself as Dwayne Johnson.

Sempied

Youtube comments tend to generally suck. I mean it's hard enough trying to find one Birth by Sleep video that doesn't spoil everything about the game coming from some dumbass who comments about the games ending, and Vanitas - "Those" comments on the fan dubs.

Ikkin

Bronze Member

Granted, but I just meant I feel like "real" VA's care more and of course have more experience seeing as they are reused time after time again.

I don't know, I think the fact that they're used time and time again could be a negative - either they'd have to change their voices and sound more cartoony because of it, or they'd sound exactly like another character, which could be distracting.

Besides, the most important traits for KH leads are unusual enough for animated characters that the experience effect is likely limited. It's easy to imagine that, aside from unfamiliarity with a voice booth, a live-action actor might actually be more comfortable with the level of emotional vulnerability that practically every main character in the series has.

Non-VAs are always going to sound less enthusiastic, I'd imagine, but that's probably got more to do with the fact that we're used to voice acting being somewhat exaggerated in the first place than a lack of enthusiasm on the part of the VA.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

I don't know, I think the fact that they're used time and time again could be a negative - either they'd have to change their voices and sound more cartoony because of it, or they'd sound exactly like another character, which could be distracting.

Besides, the most important traits for KH leads are unusual enough for animated characters that the experience effect is likely limited. It's easy to imagine that, aside from unfamiliarity with a voice booth, a live-action actor might actually be more comfortable with the level of emotional vulnerability that practically every main character in the series has.

Non-VAs are always going to sound less enthusiastic, I'd imagine, but that's probably got more to do with the fact that we're used to voice acting being somewhat exaggerated in the first place than a lack of enthusiasm on the part of the VA.

I agree. I mean some of these voice actors are doing this for the first time, I'm sure some of the parts in the game may sound a bit... flat, but I'm sure as soon as they get used to doing this, they'll get better. :3

I liked Terra and Aqua's voices, I'm sure they'll fix some of the parts later. The game is coming out soon, they're prob doing that right now. xD

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

I agree, particularly the part on VAs sometimes sounding like other characters they've voiced (I still think of Vexen as a crazed Ishida every time I hear him in RE:CoM... XD) Granted that some of the castings of more experienced VAs in KH have been great, such as Quinton Flynn as Axel, but I've generally been more impressed and more fond of the characters voiced by the actors that weren't usually VAs.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com

For real. I can't watch X-Men Evolution's Quicksilver without hearing Inuyasha. *shudders*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back