• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

TY for the e-hug. I needed it. -sniff- ;_;

Lol he does kinda sound like it. -goes to listen to Terra now- I MUST WATCH THIS MUSICAL. AHHH!

YW. :gives cookie because everyone needs cookies:

TERRA'S UNKNOWN VA COMPELS YOU TO WATCH THE NEWSIES.

:cough: Back on track.

Your best bet for comparison would be to use Terra's "What is it I have yet to learn" line. Because the part where he's cheering up Cindy just sounds weird. :|

Ikkin

Bronze Member

That and the trailer's editing wasn't that great to begin with, and for some reason they left out a good bit of the sound effects, which does have an effect on how we hear the lines.

Actually, the trailer's poor editing suggests very strongly that the voice clips that we heard might not be exactly the way they'll show up in the game. I mean, if they didn't put the sound effects in, why should we assume that they didn't just put in raw voice clips? Heck, how do we know that the people who made the trailers even used the same voice clips as the voice director chose for the final game? Square-Enix's NA pre-release media guys proved themselves completely incompetent with Final Fantasy XIII (to the point of releasing terrible-looking "Xbox 360" screenshots with a visible mouse cursor), and don't seem to be doing much better here, so... who knows.

On a completely different note, some overly-picky impressions:

- Mark Hamill as Eraqus is, basically, exactly what I was hoping for - Fire Lord Ozai minus the evil. There were a couple of places where he sounded a bit overly-villainous, but it probably wouldn't have been distracting if I wasn't listening so closely and out of context. I really want to see him doing the lines from the Jump Festa trailer, especially "You should not exist!"

- Terra's pronunciation of "Xehanort" is a bit odd somehow. I think the first two syllables might be pronounced a bit too fast...? His VA does seem to have Terra's earnestness down, which I like, though I thought "what is it that I failed to learn" could sound a little more... desperate, maybe?

- The translation seems a bit awkward at times, and I think that had a pretty big effect on both the voice acting itself and the way we hear it. The grammar seems a bit... overly formal, maybe? Phrases are unnecessarily extended with forms of "to be" - "would it be alright if I" instead of "could I," "what has happened" instead of "what happened," "what is it that I" instead of "what did I" - and it feels a bit unnatural for 18-20 year olds to be talking like that. Not entirely sure what they were going for there, and I'm not convinced that the voice actors were, either.

- Master Xehanort's voice has started to grow on me. It has one big advantage over his Japanese voice in that it's a lot less difficult to imagine anyone believing that he's anything but a complete villain. The only thing is, by doing that, the voice no longer fits with the creepy hand gestures, so there's a bit of a disconnect. =/

.:Mega:.

Awards

No offense, but I seriously doubt it's Bale. He's an A-list actor. Why would they get him to play a part in a video game? It just doesn't make sense to me. :/

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

No offense, but I seriously doubt it's Bale. He's an A-list actor. Why would they get him to play a part in a video game? It just doesn't make sense to me. :/

That and also Square Enix loves to brag when they have big name actors so Bale would be the first on the list if he was in the game in the first place let alone Terra.

.:Mega:.

Awards

Even so, it just strikes me as odd. Skyfoxx brings up a very strong point, not to mention that in the past they weren't able to get folks like Depp and Eddie Murphy to reprise their roles-- also pretty famous stars, I might add. :|a

My guess is that it's someone less famous. A friend of mine suggests Jeff Bennet, although I'm not so sure myself.

Awards

Actually, the trailer's poor editing suggests very strongly that the voice clips that we heard might not be exactly the way they'll show up in the game. I mean, if they didn't put the sound effects in, why should we assume that they didn't just put in raw voice clips? Heck, how do we know that the people who made the trailers even used the same voice clips as the voice director chose for the final game? Square-Enix's NA pre-release media guys proved themselves completely incompetent with Final Fantasy XIII (to the point of releasing terrible-looking "Xbox 360" screenshots with a visible mouse cursor), and don't seem to be doing much better here, so... who knows.

On a completely different note, some overly-picky impressions:

- Mark Hamill as Eraqus is, basically, exactly what I was hoping for - Fire Lord Ozai minus the evil. There were a couple of places where he sounded a bit overly-villainous, but it probably wouldn't have been distracting if I wasn't listening so closely and out of context. I really want to see him doing the lines from the Jump Festa trailer, especially "You should not exist!"

- Terra's pronunciation of "Xehanort" is a bit odd somehow. I think the first two syllables might be pronounced a bit too fast...? His VA does seem to have Terra's earnestness down, which I like, though I thought "what is it that I failed to learn" could sound a little more... desperate, maybe?

- The translation seems a bit awkward at times, and I think that had a pretty big effect on both the voice acting itself and the way we hear it. The grammar seems a bit... overly formal, maybe? Phrases are unnecessarily extended with forms of "to be" - "would it be alright if I" instead of "could I," "what has happened" instead of "what happened," "what is it that I" instead of "what did I" - and it feels a bit unnatural for 18-20 year olds to be talking like that. Not entirely sure what they were going for there, and I'm not convinced that the voice actors were, either.

- Master Xehanort's voice has started to grow on me. It has one big advantage over his Japanese voice in that it's a lot less difficult to imagine anyone believing that he's anything but a complete villain. The only thing is, by doing that, the voice no longer fits with the creepy hand gestures, so there's a bit of a disconnect. =/

GEEZ! Could u be ANYMORE critical?! It all sounds fine except for just a few things. If u dont like it, then dont buy it.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

Actually, the trailer's poor editing suggests very strongly that the voice clips that we heard might not be exactly the way they'll show up in the game. I mean, if they didn't put the sound effects in, why should we assume that they didn't just put in raw voice clips? Heck, how do we know that the people who made the trailers even used the same voice clips as the voice director chose for the final game? Square-Enix's NA pre-release media guys proved themselves completely incompetent with Final Fantasy XIII (to the point of releasing terrible-looking "Xbox 360" screenshots with a visible mouse cursor), and don't seem to be doing much better here, so... who knows./

agreed 25 characters.25 characters.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website

Even so, it just strikes me as odd. Skyfoxx brings up a very strong point, not to mention that in the past they weren't able to get folks like Depp and Eddie Murphy to reprise their roles-- also pretty famous stars, I might add. :|a

My guess is that it's someone less famous. A friend of mine suggests Jeff Bennet, although I'm not so sure myself.

Johnny Depp didn't even do Jack's voice in any of the Pirates games except Legend of Jack Sparrow, so Square Enix wasn't the only one who wasn't able to get him. Eddie Murphy...I don't think Eddie Murphy ever does video games.

We'll just have to wait until they confirm the VAs.

αsiя

space coke

GEEZ! Could u be ANYMORE critical?! It all sounds fine except for just a few things. If u dont like it, then dont buy it.

Why would not liking the VA's take away from the gaming experience. Nobody is stupid to do that.

Sempied

Christopher Lee is a A list actor as he played Ansem.However skyfoxx does bring one of the heaviest loopholes: If it was Bale SE would've most likely bragged that they got the f**kin batman as Terra in their game.

I did see that someone thought Scott Porter (Saturday Night Lights) sounded very uncanny to Terra on another forum.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website

αsiя;5106055 said:
Why would not liking the VA's take away from the gaming experience. Nobody is stupid to do that.

I'm pretty sure there are people out there who really are that stupid.

I did see that someone thought Scott Porter (Saturday Night Lights) sounded very uncanny to Terra on another forum.

It's Friday Night Lights, I'm pretty sure, and I don't think he does.

Sempied

αsiя;5106055 said:
The only excuse I could use for this could be Baten Kaitos, or SO2, but even those had options to japanese voices, and a pretty little thing called the mute button.

Not buying the game because of the voice actors would be hopefully to stupid to be true.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I wish my avatar was hiimdaisy!Saki-sempai right now so I could express my confusion of Terra right now.

"What? I'd don't even know. I'm so tired~"

SE should have just added the VA of Terra to the press release and save people (like me) from the confusion.

And @ the people not liking the voices, just mute the game. Don't let voices ruin not playing a good game.

Ikkin

Bronze Member

...since when is "I liked this, but..." more critical than "X is terrible and should be fired!"? =P

I do think the translators need to be hit with a stick, though. Or a clue bat, if they had some kind of translation reason for the awkward phrasing.

OmegaVanitas

Anyone notice the Evil Queen is voiced by Malificent's voice actress?

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ

Imo, Haley Joel Osment seems like his voice could fit really Vanitas, I don't care what you people say, go say whatever you want. As for me, when Haley Joel Osment does his voices, he does try to really capture the person he's voicing (at least that's what I'm hearing out of his voice-acting so far and not just because I like him or anything) unlike what I heard with Aqua and I know I don't like her too much considering like many said, her voice was flat and she wasn't enthusiastic but at least I can tolerate it as it's not like really very annoying...but I'm not that picky. I'm only picky when I hear MORE REAL BAD voice acting and I heard ones way worse then this. I'll give you an example later.

Am I the only one who notices Jesse sounding way different as Ven then he did with Roxas (aside from you know this game is different you should know that blah blah lecture I don't need, ya I know that) but I meant was he trying to make his voice more I don't know.....what's the word?.....boyish I think to fit Ven's or something? I'm just wondering. XDDDD I think his voice was alright though.

And for those who complain about Disney characters, am I the only one NOT complaining? I mean seriously.....some of them might of deceased but my friends were like 'All of them sounded horrid' based off what exactly might I ask? I REALLY thought the Lost Boy who asked Tink to kick Ven but then again, I like childish-sounding voices. Also I do think some of the original voices that voiced The Seven Dwarves are dead and that most of the Disney character (or maybe in terms of the older films like Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty) are probably dead and they needed people who had voices that sound alot like theirs as well...correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Sheesh, at least you could them some break, they're TRYING.....and I'll say that for myself as well...as I can be opinionated at times too, I'll admit:/

I also think I'm going to get used to Terra's voice, I know that his voice might not sounded as deep but at least, it wasn't high-pitched, screechy, or monotonous even. I've heard worst voice actors then the one I heard for the game but then again, the only voice I didn't like in the whole KH series was probably Xaldin's voice actor, David Dayan Fisher (and yeah I know he's doing Dilan in this game) but at least I'm not letting his voice ruin the entire game for me. I just go with whatever they choose, besides

Am the only one who's hoping and or wanting Rick Gomez to continue his voice-acting in this game and FYI for those of you who don't know who that is, he's Zack Fair in Crisis Core but since Zack Fair is in this game, I hope he was able to do this game too. I couldn't tell too much but does anybody think that sounded like him? It was kind of hard to hear considering it was a boss battle (provided in the videoclip provided on Square Enix's E3 site for gameplay clip) and such. :/

sonickenshin

Awards

...you guys are judging from a few exertion noises that Bret Iwan makes?

If you want to hear more of Bret Iwan's Mickey...
Mickey Mouse | Disney

Go to the SHORT versions of Lonesome Ghosts and the Seal. Apparently, they redubbed the shorts with the current cast.

Anyway, I'm not impressed overall. It sounded like a fandub at first. The editing was bad. I will say Vanitas, Eraqus, Xehanort, Ven and the Disney characters actually sound like the characters though.

Key to the light

GODtada Will Reign

Imo, Haley Joel Osment seems like his voice could fit really Vanitas, I don't care what you people say, go say whatever you want. As for me, when Haley Joel Osment does his voices, he does try to really capture the person he's voicing (at least that's what I'm hearing out of his voice-acting so far and not just because I like him or anything) unlike what I heard with Aqua and I know I don't like her too much considering like many said, her voice was flat and she wasn't enthusiastic but at least I can tolerate it as it's not like really very annoying...but I'm not that picky. I'm only picky when I hear MORE REAL BAD voice acting and I heard ones way worse then this. I'll give you an example later.

Am I the only one who notices Jesse sounding way different as Ven then he did with Roxas (aside from you know this game is different you should know that blah blah lecture I don't need, ya I know that) but I meant was he trying to make his voice more I don't know.....what's the word?.....boyish I think to fit Ven's or something? I'm just wondering. XDDDD I think his voice was alright though.

And for those who complain about Disney characters, am I the only one NOT complaining? I mean seriously.....some of them might of deceased but my friends were like 'All of them sounded horrid' based off what exactly might I ask? I REALLY thought the Lost Boy who asked Tink to kick Ven but then again, I like childish-sounding voices. Also I do think some of the original voices that voiced The Seven Dwarves are dead and that most of the Disney character (or maybe in terms of the older films like Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty) are probably dead and they needed people who had voices that sound alot like theirs as well...correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Sheesh, at least you could them some break, they're TRYING.....and I'll say that for myself as well...as I can be opinionated at times too, I'll admit:/

I also think I'm going to get used to Terra's voice, I know that his voice might not sounded as deep but at least, it wasn't high-pitched, screechy, or monotonous even. I've heard worst voice actors then the one I heard for the game but then again, the only voice I didn't like in the whole KH series was probably Xaldin's voice actor, David Dayan Fisher (and yeah I know he's doing Dilan in this game) but at least I'm not letting his voice ruin the entire game for me. I just go with whatever they choose, besides

Am the only one who's hoping and or wanting Rick Gomez to continue his voice-acting in this game and FYI for those of you who don't know who that is, he's Zack Fair in Crisis Core but since Zack Fair is in this game, I hope he was able to do this game too. I couldn't tell too much but does anybody think that sounded like him? It was kind of hard to hear considering it was a boss battle (provided in the videoclip provided on Square Enix's E3 site for gameplay clip) and such. :/

Firstly, Vanitas is a spoiler yo, no HJO in daylight lol

Secondly, not everybody is complaining about it. All the negativity just likes to come out at once in this thread (which is getting slightly irritating). I don't have a problem with ANY of the VAs so far, and I can't wait to hear more. Also Jesse's voice is different in this game to fit Ven, not Roxas. Roxas is a tragic story, but Ven is very similar to Sora, so his voice will be lighter and happier.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards

Again, it's not the VA's I'm concerned with, it's the editing. I swear to god SE's NA publicity team is clinically retarded. It looks like they put this thing together in like an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back