• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YUPPP

Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

*Sigh* it's one of those LAME answers again. (I said I never heard a good reason and I still hear no good reason)

-_- First off, I NEVER hear Yoda in his voice.

Second, there's some emotion. It's not like it's Minu Suvari as Aerith.

Third, in the Japanese version when Xehanort was saying "Behold! These are the remains of the keyblade wars!" it wasn't like he was trying to sound evil. The only thing that made it sound evil was the music.

His voice sucks I think. I, as in, me not you. There are others with the same opinion. And we aren't talking about Mena Suvari so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

So, how about you give me a good reason to why his voice isn't bad?

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

His voice sucks I think. I, as in, me not you. There are others with the same opinion. And we aren't talking about Mena Suvari so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

So, how about you give me a good reason to why his voice isn't bad?

I never said anything about "OMG YOU SAID MY OPINION WAS DIFFERENT!!!" I'm just expressing mine. I don't know why you said "I, as in me, not you" I'm aware people have different opinions.
And you said "Nimoy gave no emotion" and I'm saying "No, Nimoy gave emotion. If you want to hear no emotion, listen to mena suvari"

Okay, so I will give you multiple reasons why it isn't bad.

1. The Japanese voice was the over-the-top evil which may sound good for the most part but it made the main characters look stupid at time. Throughout most of the time, Xehanort tricks Terra and the others into thinking he's a good guy even though he ALWAYS sounds evil. With Nimoy, it's actually believable that Xehanort really is a helpless old man but when Xehanort finally begins the final battle, all of the evil intentions are revieled. It actually makes it easy to believe why TAV would think Xehanort is a good guy while in the Japanese version it makes them look stupid.

2. It's just ONE line that was CUT from a bigger speech so it sounds slightly awkward. Plus the fact that it wasn't synched doesn't help either and it makes it sound awkward.

3. Actors have to say lines about 5-6 times and a lot of the times in trailers, they use audio clips that never make it in the final game (it happens a lot in movies and games. Remember how the very early Japanese trailers for BBS had voice actors that sounded kind of mediocre but changed in the later ones? Same situation here)

4. Everyone says "He doesn't sound evil!" when in that scene all Xehanort does is talk about the Keyblade Wars, pretty much giving a history lesson in a way. It's not like Xehanort was going "OMG! YOU ALL MUST DIE!!!!!!!" in the Japanese version. In the Japanese version, he was pretty calm about it and just shared his information which is the same thing in the English version. The only thing that made the Japanese version creepy was the music "Meeting Evil" and that was it.

5. It's freakin' Leonard Nimoy. You can't diss him. It's like trying diss Christopher Lee, it just can't be done.

See atleast I gave 4 long reasons (and 1 common sense reason) as to why the voice isn't bad. You only gave one line that isn't even clever and doesn't make sense. I watched the trailer 12 times and I NEVER heard Yoda in it.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

...Why in the spoilers section? It doesn't make sense because in the Japanese version, Vanitas is standing right next to MX but in the trailer he's missing... unless you were joking.

It is off synch because you see MX in the Keyblade Graveyard speaking and the words don't match up.

And... why exactly do you find it bad? Just asking because so far everyone that said "The voice is bad" never gave me a good reason why there opinion is that.

Because we're comparing the JP cutscene and the clip from the english teaser. The fact that there's a video from the game equals possible spoilers.

And like I said, it's more like a voice over. It wasn't meant to be synched with MX speaking.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Because we're comparing the JP cutscene and the clip from the english teaser. The fact that there's a video from the game equals possible spoilers.

And like I said, it's more like a voice over. It wasn't meant to be synched with MX speaking.

But that same Jap clip was from the trailers so it's not a spoiler. Plus anyone who has seen the secret ending to KH2FM (which almost everyone has) would already know what's about to happen.

Toward the end of the trailer, it's supposed to. When you actually see MX lips moving...

Key to the light

GODtada Will Reign

But that same Jap clip was from the trailers so it's not a spoiler. Plus anyone who has seen the secret ending to KH2FM (which almost everyone has) would already know what's about to happen.

Toward the end of the trailer, it's supposed to. When you actually see MX lips moving...

It's possible that quote doesn't necessarily come from that scene, they just put a relevant quote with an interesting scene of MX being dramatic.

Revolution

...Why in the spoilers section? It doesn't make sense because in the Japanese version, Vanitas is standing right next to MX but in the trailer he's missing... unless you were joking.

It is off synch because you see MX in the Keyblade Graveyard speaking and the words don't match up.

And... why exactly do you find it bad? Just asking because so far everyone that said "The voice is bad" never gave me a good reason why there opinion is that.

Because, I don't like Nimoy. Not as an actor in Star Trek, and not now.

And I find him doing Master Xehanort doesn't give the character enough credit for what he's planned, and Nimoy sounds more like my nice Grandma. NOT an evil mastermind.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

It's possible that quote doesn't necessarily come from that scene, they just put a relevant quote with an interesting scene of MX being dramatic.

You never saw the Japanese trailers did you because if you did, you'd know it is from that scene. Plus, I played the Japanese game so I can say without a doubt that line is from that scene.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Because, I don't like Nimoy. Not as an actor in Star Trek, and not now.

And I find him doing Master Xehanort doesn't give the character enough credit for what he's planned, and Nimoy sounds more like my nice Grandma. NOT an evil mastermind.

You didn't read my 5 reasons why the voice actually works, did you?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to put 2 quotes in one comment.

YUPPP

I never said anything about "OMG OPINIONS!!!" I'm just expressing mine. And you said "Nimoy gave no emotion" and I'm saying "No, Nimoy gave emotion. If you want to hear no emotion, listen to mena suvari"
Okay, so I will give you multiple reasons why it isn't bad.

Yeah I got that after I read again. I thought it said something else. My bad.

1. The Japanese voice was the over-the-top evil which may sound good for the most part but it made the main characters look stupid at time. Throughout most of the time, Xehanort tricks Terra and the others into thinking he's a good guy even though he ALWAYS sounds evil. With Nimoy, it's actually believable that Xehanort really is a helpless old man but when Xehanort finally begins the final battle, all of the evil intentions are revieled. It actually makes it easy to believe why TAV would think Xehanort is a good guy while in the Japanese version it makes them look stupid.

Hmm, I didn't think his Japanese VA had a "over the top evil" vibe to it. But in that scene he was a the Keyblade Graveyard. At the time Xehanort was at the Graveyard everyone knew he was an evil bastard so why wouldn't he at least try to sound evil?

2. It's just ONE line that was CUT from a bigger speech so it sounds slightly awkward. Plus the fact that it wasn't synched doesn't help either and it makes it sound awkward.

Bad synching didn't effect the suckage factor from that trailer. I know it may have been one of many takes but I don't understand why they would choose that take to put in the trailer.

3. Actors have to say lines about 5-6 times and a lot of the times in trailers, they use audio clips that never make it in the final game (it happens a lot in movies and games. Remember how the very early Japanese trailers for BBS had voice actors that sounded kind of mediocre but changed in the later ones? Same situation here)

^^^

4. Everyone says "He doesn't sound evil!" when in that scene all Xehanort does is talk about the Keyblade Wars, pretty much giving a history lesson in a way. It's not like Xehanort was going "OMG! YOU ALL MUST DIE!!!!!!!" in the Japanese version. In the Japanese version, he was pretty calm about it and just shared his information which is the same thing in the English version. The only thing that made the Japanese version creepy was the music "Meeting Evil" and that was it.

I never said him not sounding evil was bad or even the problem. Also, you're first point was ''he was over the top evil about it'', now its, "he was pretty calm about" so which one is it?

Revolution

You didn't read my 5 reasons why the voice actually works, did you?

EDIT: Sorry for the double post, I don't know how to put 2 quotes in one comment.

I did. I just don't believe the shit that I can't diss Nimoy. I actually think he's a very bad VA and actor.

And I don't care if MX is supposed to sound like an old man. It sounds just plain dumb and sounds like he's trying to seduce Terra into the back closet.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Yeah I got that after I read again. I thought it said something else. My bad.

Hmm, I didn't think his Japanese VA had a "over the top evil" vibe to it. But in that scene he was a the Keyblade Graveyard. At the time Xehanort was at the Graveyard everyone knew he was an evil bastard so why wouldn't he at least try to sound evil?

Bad synching didn't effect the suckage factor from that trailer. I know it may have been one of many takes but I don't understand why they would choose that take to put in the trailer.

^^^

I never said him not sounding evil was bad or even the problem. Also, you're first point was ''he was over the top evil about it'', now its, "he was pretty calm about" so which one is it?

Yes, bad synching effects A LOT of stuff. I know that RE:COM killed the voice acting for me not because the acting was bad but because the synching was WAY off.

"I don't understand why they would choose that take to put in the trailer"
Because they just do lol
Seriously, it happens EVERYWHERE and I remember quite a few English trailers where I hear a line and I think "That sounds terrible" but then it doesn't even make it in the final game. It's just one of those things that happens.

I was saying for the most part Xehanort sounded over-the-top evil with his Darth Sidious impression but the Keyblade Graveyard scene was the only scene where he was the most calm, not completely calm (should've chosen my wording better but whatever)

I'm just saying that you only gave me one reason when I gave about 4 (the 5th one is only as big as a reason as your "OMG HE SOUNDS LIKE YODA!!!" comment) while you only gave one comment that really wasn't that good of one.

And yes you did say "him not sounding evil is bad!"

Just because a voice sounds completely different doesn't mean it's bad. And again, it's ONE line that may not even make it in the final game. It's not enough to judge the entire actor's performance.

"It sounds like he's trying to seduce Terra into the back closet" QUOTE FROM REVOLUTION
That was exactly what I thought about the Japanese voice lol

Last edited:

YUPPP

Yes, bad synching effects A LOT of stuff. I know that RE:COM killed the voice acting for me not because the acting was bad but because the synching was WAY off.

"I don't understand why they would choose that take to put in the trailer"
Because they just do lol
Seriously, it happens EVERYWHERE and I remember quite a few English trailers where I hear a line and I think "That sounds terrible" but then it doesn't even make it in the final game. It's just one of those things that happens.

I was saying for the most part Xehanort sounded over-the-top evil with his Darth Sidious impression but the Keyblade Graveyard scene was the only scene where he was the most calm, not completely calm (should've chosen my wording better but whatever)

I'm just saying that you only gave me one reason when I gave about 4 (the 5th one is only as big as a reason as your "OMG HE SOUNDS LIKE YODA!!!" comment) while you only gave one comment that really wasn't that good of one.

Just because a voice sounds completely different doesn't mean it's bad. And again, it's ONE line that may not even make it in the final game. It's not enough to judge the entire actor's performance.

I said he sounds like Yoda because that motherfucker sounded like Yoda lol. That may be how Nimoy just sounds I don't know I'm not really familiar with him.

All in all, I don't like his voice because it's not what I expected. Better reason for you?

I'm interested though what scenes did you think Japanese Xehanort sounded over the top?

EDIT: Just listened to the trailer while I minimized the page. No difference still shitty.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I said he sounds like Yoda because that motherfucker sounded like Yoda lol. That may be how Nimoy just sounds I don't know I'm not really familiar with him.

All in all, I don't like his voice because it's not what I expected. Better reason for you?

I'm interested though what scenes did you think Japanese Xehanort sounded over the top?

EDIT: Just listened to the trailer while I minimized the page. No difference still shitty.

No, he doesn't. I listened to both Yoda's and Xehanort's at the same time and heard nothing of the like. If it was Yoda it would've been like "Full of power these keys once had" and "Raged the keyblade war did rrahahaha"

"It's not what I expected" That's a better reason.

The whole performance was just too evil. Yeah, he is evil but if you're going to fool people into thinking you're a good guy, you need to have the ability to sound like a good guy and not evil in anyway. The Japanese one just has this darth Sidious voice going on (not that it was bad, don't get me wrong) In terms of over-the-top I thought "CORRECT MY MISTAKE!!!" sounded like he was constipated (sorry for the lack of a better word but that's how I interpreted it) And it just made Terra look SO stupid that he believed Xehanort was a good guy for the majority of the game. With Nimoy in that attitude, it's understandable why Terra would believe that and make him seem less stupid.

But whatever, opinions are opinions...

Last edited:

αsiя

space coke

No, he doesn't. I listened to both Yoda's and Xehanort's at the same time and heard nothing of the like. If it was Yoda it would've been like "Full of power these keys once had" and "Raged the keyblade war did rrahahaha"

"It's not what I expected" That's a better reason.

The whole performance was just too evil. Yeah, he is evil but if you're going to fool people into thinking you're a good guy, you need to have the ability to sound like a good guy and not evil in anyway. The Japanese one just has this darth Sidious voice going on (not that it was bad, don't get me wrong) In terms of over-the-top I thought "CORRECT MY MISTAKE!!!" sounded like he was constipated (sorry for the lack of a better word but that's how I interpreted it) And it just made Terra look SO stupid that he believed Xehanort was a good guy for the majority of the game. With Nimoy in that attitude, it's understandable why Terra would believe that and make him seem less stupid.

But whatever, opinions are opinions...

He's not speaking like Yoda, he's sounds like Yoda.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

αsiя;5056529 said:
He's not speaking like Yoda, he's sounds like Yoda.

Again, I don't hear Yoda's voice. I truly do not. And I'm not just talking about speech, I mean in voice too I don't hear Leonard Nimoy doing Yoda's voice at all.

I swear people are making dumb comparisons on comparing Nimoy's voice. Some compare it to Yoda (can't hear that), some compare it to a pirate (still can't hear that) and some actually compared it to the joker (I DEFINATELY can not hear that)

Sempied

Okay, so what? He sounds like the little green midget.

The whole trailer was shoddy itself. (Even using recycled old footage of Aqua original "Sexy" character model. The voice over/narration wasn't meant to be synced because of it's trailer view, that and SE probably put an old recording in to compensate with the promo.

Remember when everyone hated Jesse McCartney despite a short measily low amount of lines he said? Look at it now, and it's a practical coda he must be voiced by him.

This can be looked at the same way for Nimoy, and Xehanort. Sure I never watched Star Trek, except for the recent film, I didn't care for Nimoy, but I actually like MX voice even if it might be a previous recording. I'm going to be fair, and wait (On this games long ass wait it will have) until i'll give fair judgement, or at the least the E3 trailer.

αsiя

space coke

Again, I don't hear Yoda's voice. I truly do not. And I'm not just talking about speech, I mean in voice too I don't hear Leonard Nimoy doing Yoda's voice at all.

I swear people are making dumb comparisons on comparing Nimoy's voice. Some compare it to Yoda (can't hear that), some compare it to a pirate (still can't hear that) and some actually compared it to the joker (I DEFINATELY can not hear that)

We all interpret what we see/hear/(the other 3 senses) differently, so shut up. I hear Yoda when I first saw the trailer, sure not the exact same Yoda from the series but it's still sounded like Yoda to me. There is no reason oppose it. This also doesn't mean I hate MX's voice, but it gives me a first impression on how he'll sound like, and it ain't sounding so good (but not terrible either).

Silver warrior

I think people just like his voice because he's nimoy,and can't take the fact that it sound slightly crappy.I think he sound's like yoda when he said "united with the hearts of the master's",and I do think he sound's evil just not over exaggerated.

I'm just gonna stop complaining about he's voice until I hear another trailer with he's voice,and pleas startrek fans stop saying you can't diss nimoy just because he's nimoy because is really stupid that you can't think he sound's bad just because he's a famous actor and maybe your favorite startrek character.

KenVen13

Could Mark Hamill be voicing Vanitas by any chance?

Silverslide

need some more candy cane

Yesh, it is possible for Hammil to be voicing Vanitas :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back