• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The next game in 2022?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

cakito123

Awards
I'm so against new "films". Kingdom hearts is a game franchise, for god sake. In collections I think it is a little more okay but still not ideal. (yes, I also hate the Disney+ series rumour. hoping it isn't true)

I always remember and miss the times when nomura said he didn't really wanted KH in any other media, because if he wanted to tell a new story, he'd just make a new game.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I think that after this interview, this scenario seems to be very likely:

2021: FFXVI
2022: KH

If XVI releases in 2021, no longer can people make jokes about Square games taking ten years ever again. That's an incredibly fast period of time from announcing it to releasing it. It's not Capcom announcing Resident Evil remakes fast, but if they release XVI in fall 2021, that's amazing.

Didn't Nomura say that Osaka was already working on the next game in the KH3 ultimania only to backtrack later on?

If the next game is announced in 2022, it'll probably release within the same year too.

Yeah, they've been working. I would imagine they started working on the next one fully after they took a break after KH3 released. Of course, there was ReMind and the Osaka's cutscene team had to work on Melody of Memory because the MoM didn't have anyone that could do it, but I like to think they were probably working on it since at least April 2019.

I'm so against new "films". Kingdom hearts is a game franchise, for god sake. In collections I think it is a little more okay but still not ideal. (yes, I also hate the Disney+ series rumour. hoping it isn't true)

I always remember and miss the times when nomura said he didn't really wanted KH in any other media, because if he wanted to tell a new story, he'd just make a new game.

Thing is though, creatives change their minds all the time on these sorts of things because the ideas they have now probably don't work with the methods they believed in back then. You would think KHUX and KHDR wouldn't be gacha phone games either when you think about the KH series, but they exist. There's also only so many people in Square that are designated to handle KH games and even more so, there's only so many things Nomura can focus on before things start getting sloppy.

A hypothetical D+ series would be practical in a lot of ways, especially in terms of actually getting the content out. It can cover a lot of plot points in a short amount of time, and it's easy for most people to access. Dark Road could've been a fully realized console KH game, but because KH3 is supposed to be the end of the Dark Seeker saga, the idea was shelved until the UX team came to him about it. We don't know what a D+ KH series would even be, so that's a factor. It's not like they'd make Verum Rex a Disney Plus series instead of a game (if Nomura actually did this though... lmaoooooo that man is insane, and I'd have to dip from the internet for a while), so super important stories would have their own games most likely.

cakito123

Awards
Gameplay is literally the most important thing about the game itself lol. What am I even reading here?

Your personal preference on gameplay =/= everyone's personal preference on gameplay.

How would you even know ''everyone's personal preference'' on gameplay? I know me, you know you. I am the kind of person who does prioritize gameplay in KH games because I love the way the franchise works in bigger games (I mean 3D ones). But honestly, over the internet I think I see most people really more interested in the story of the franchise than people who are more interested in the gameplay. Loads of people wouldn't even replay some games if the story was bad.

Thing is though, creatives change their minds all the time on these sorts of things because the ideas they have now probably don't work with the methods they believed in back then. You would think KHUX and KHDR wouldn't be gacha phone games either when you think about the KH series, but they exist. There's also only so many people in Square that are designated to handle KH games and even more so, there's only so many things Nomura can focus on before things start getting sloppy.

A hypothetical D+ series would be practical in a lot of ways, especially in terms of actually getting the content out. It can cover a lot of plot points in a short amount of time, and it's easy for most people to access. Dark Road could've been a fully realized console KH game, but because KH3 is supposed to be the end of the Dark Seeker saga, the idea was shelved until the UX team came to him about it. We don't know what a D+ KH series would even be, so that's a factor. It's not like they'd make Verum Rex a Disney Plus series instead of a game (if Nomura actually did this though... lmaoooooo that man is insane, and I'd have to dip from the internet for a while), so super important stories would have their own games most likely.

I agree with you with most points, except some but that's personal stuff. I don't see UX/ Dark Road's approach as something so 'new' to this franchise, only different. Chain of Memories was the second game to release ever and it was a GBA game. There was also an old browser KH game that inspired UX/DR back in the day, and I think UX/DR are today's CoM with 2020 standarts (that is, maximum capitalism with gacha games) - and I hope at least UX gets a proper remake soon like CoM did (that's my main wish for a new next game).

Uhm...
A disney+ series could get some 'content' out, but not a good one that I'd expected from a gaming franchise. I know I'm all alone going against this tv series but 'content' for me is a crazy good dang KH gameplay intertwined with some good story beats and characters!
The story doesn't work interestingly well enough without a gameplay to balance it. If it was a really well written story since ever, MAYBE that'd be a good idea but that's not the case with KH. Most of the games stories works because those stories are all in a gaming format.
A disney+ series wouldn't have anything intertwining with the story, and just because of that I think it would really really suck, and expecting something from KH that isn't a game is personally really underwhelming.

Last edited:

the red monster

Awards
I It's not like they'd make Verum Rex a Disney Plus series instead of a game (if Nomura actually did this though... lmaoooooo that man is insane, and I'd have to dip from the internet for a while), so super important stories would have their own games most likely.

Not gonna lie i'll laugh so hard at the meltdowns. now i need this to happen.

ClarkChakram

I still think that it won't be as long as we think til we hear an announcement on the Kingdom Hearts Disney + series. If the rumors are correct, I expect maybe we will hear some kind of announcement in the winter of next year or possibly at the next D23 event. As for games, I think a Verum Rex game will be coming in 2022. What would the odds be that Square Enix decides to put another game besides Verum Rex on the disc? We could maybe get a game about the Master of Masters.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I still think that it won't be as long as we think til we hear an announcement on the Kingdom Hearts Disney + series. If the rumors are correct, I expect maybe we will hear some kind of announcement in the winter of next year or possibly at the next D23 event. As for games, I think a Verum Rex game will be coming in 2022. What would the odds be that Square Enix decides to put another game besides Verum Rex on the disc? We could maybe get a game about the Master of Masters.
I think the standard for future side-games should be a "secret episode" included on the disc. Chain of Memories did it right, and that should be what all the side games aspire to. Especially given how many characters we have now, it would make sense to try and cover everyone as much as possible.

Back