• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The next game in 2022?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NoWay

Awards
I was watching some videos about FFXVI and found out that SE confirmed that the base development of the game is done. This game seems to release earlier than we might think.

And I was just thinking about Nomura’s last interview where he confirmed big news for 2022. What if they plan to release FFXVI in winter 2021 and the next big KH game in Winter 2022? I don’t think they would release both games within few months. To me this seems like the most probable scenario. Or maybe they are going to release FFXVI in Spring 2022 and KH in Winter 2022..

What do you think?

Awards
I think it's possible. It just depends on a lot of different factors. It's still possible in my opinion, however. I could easily see the next Kingdom Hearts game launching in 2022 if things go smoothly. I'm one of the people who feels that Square Enix has gotten a little better at announcing things closer to when they come out (although it's still been quite a long wait in some cases too). I personally think that Square Enix won't do another announcement 6 years before a game comes out (like they did with Kingdom Hearts III) let alone the the even longer wait like for Final Fantasy XV. I could be wrong, but I just feel like Square Enix has gotten a little better about the wait times between announcements and release dates. As such, I could see them announcing the next Kingdom Hearts title closer to 2022 (assuming it does launch then). I could also see it going the other way, though; I just hope it wouldn't be another 6 year wait between the announcement and the release. Regardless of warnings, I'm going to try to stay positive and hope for a 2022 or 2023 release date. Otherwise, the future might just scare me a little.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Nomura did say he was keeping the 20th anniversary in mind. I definitely think we will be getting something two years from now

My guess is either the next big game or the rumored Disney+ series.

Foxycian

Awards
I’m honestly running out of words to say but nevertheless I’m excited!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
image0.jpg

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
But would the next game be Dream Drop Distance 2 or KH IV?

Either way, I'm just glad that there's more consistency with the KH series now in regards to new games/content. It'd be nice to get something in 2021, so that we'd have new KH games every year since 2019.

NoWay

Awards
But would the next game be Dream Drop Distance 2 or KH IV?

Good question. It’s really hard to guess which game’s going to be the next game. From my point of view they have 5 possible scenarios to tell:

1.) Kairi and Riku searching for Sora in the Realm of Sleep/Dreams (what was the name?)

2.) Terra Aqua and Ven in the Realm of Darkness

3.) Roxas Xion and Naminé in Twilight Town

4.) Lea and Isa searching for Subject X (which could be connected to Roxas’ and Xion’s scenario)

5.) Verum Rex and Yozora’s backstory

And a 6th scenario could be a X Remake.

I’m really wondering what could be next.
In a perfect world, we’d get X Remake in 2021 and DDD2 with Kairi and Riku in 2022.

Last edited:

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
In a perfect world, we’d get X Remake in 2021 and DDD2 with Kairi and Riku in 2022.

In a perfect world, we’d get the X remake in 2021 in Unreal, that also finally explicitly mentions the name of the traitor and reveals the foretellers’ and Luxu’s faces, and a side-game (whether DDD2 or III.1937530) as a bundled release, and in 2022 we’d get the next numbered title. The series is old enough to drink! Those of us who’ve been around since the first game are old enough to have kids!

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
As fun as a 2022 game sounds, I wouldn't mind waiting an extra year or two to get a real, full game that feels substantial. I don't really want something with a diminished content amount like BBS and DDD. I'm still fatigued on it. I'd rather spend time imagining the next big KH than playing a game that clearly isn't the next big KH.

That being said, it doesn't have to be KH IV, necessarily, I just want something that feels commensurate with 1, 2, and 3. I think the biggest thing that qualifies a numbered title is the command menu, and Sora, Donald, and Goofy going to a bunch of new Disney worlds. I don't necessarily reject a game that doesn't have these things, but I don't want another KH that feels like a fast food version.

Something is surely coming in 2022, but as we race towards that year, I only hope that we don't get something that feels skimpy, weightless, and unthoughtful.

Somnus cealum

Awards
i believe it will be the ddd 2 having kairi and riku finding sora. but i dont want the series to end yet. i would like it if we have a few more games before kh4.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
For the time being let’s focus on 2021, then think of what the future will bring👍🏻

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
i believe it will be the ddd 2 having kairi and riku finding kairi. but i dont want the series to end yet. i would like it if we have a few more games before kh4.
I'm hoping that moving forward the number of in-between games get cut down. The KH1>CoM>KH2 format is what they should follow here. More games opens up more characters and more stories, and ultimately we'll get another KH3 that has a whole bunch of other stories getting rushed/no time for actual resolution.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
If I had to guess, the next game after MoM would be a in between game. Mostly everyone is calling it DDD V2 with Riku and Kairi. Regardless what it's called I think they'll be at least one other game before we get to KH4. That game will probably set up KH4. I'd be surprised if KH4 is the next game announced in 2022. I would not mind it at all, but would be surprised. I guess we should wait for MoM's content before guessing too much.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Good question. It’s really hard to guess which game’s going to be the next game. From my point of view they have 5 possible scenarios to tell:

1.) Kairi and Riku searching for Sora in the Realm of Sleep/Dreams (what was the name?)

2.) Terra Aqua and Ven in the Realm of Darkness

3.) Roxas Xion and Naminé in Twilight Town

4.) Lea and Isa searching for Subject X (which could be connected to Roxas’ and Xion’s scenario)

5.) Verum Rex and Yozora’s backstory

And a 6th scenario could be a X Remake.

I’m really wondering what could be next.
Another possible scenario is Mickey, Donald, and Goofy searching for Sora in older Disney worlds. Would be nice to get a game focusing on the classic Disney trip.

Though I doubt it's the 2022 game, lol

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'd be fine if we could get something similar in scope to 3D in a 2022 release date. I didn't think KH3 was that much different than 3D in size.... *shrug* Still, I'm not going to expect anything soon.

Of course, I think the fanbase is assuming a little to much that there will be a spiritual sequel to 3D (and that Kairi would be playable in such a thing to boot).

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
If I had to guess, the next game after MoM would be a in between game. Mostly everyone is calling it DDD V2 with Riku and Kairi. Regardless what it's called I think they'll be at least one other game before we get to KH4. That game will probably set up KH4. I'd be surprised if KH4 is the next game announced in 2022. I would not mind it at all, but would be surprised. I guess we should wait for MoM's content before guessing too much.
I think KH3>MoM>3D2>KH4 is the way to go. 3D2 can follow Kairi/Riku (as playable characters) trying to find Sora, while also expanding on Yozora's story and the worldlines/Foreteller stuff. Although, I don't want the trend to continue of Sora NEVER starting a KH game actually knowing who the enemy is and actually building their conflict from the start.

Sora has ALWAYS been the last to know about the villain and always confronts them much later, I think the only exception is Xemnas, but even in KH2 you see Xemnas once, then don't see him for hours, and even then Xemnas is standing far away for like a minute then disappears for more hours. Ansem, Marluxia, Maleficent, Master Xehanort were all enemies that Sora just dealt with, but never really had conflict build up face to face until much later. Maleficent may be a slight exception because by default she's a Disney villain, so going into KH1 you just assumed that she would be the final boss and you see cutscenes of her plans for the princesses of heart... but my point being that none of the villains actually built conflict with Sora directly from the get-go. I'm hoping that changes moving forward.

Somnus cealum

Awards
I'm hoping that moving forward the number of in-between games get cut down. The KH1>CoM>KH2 format is what they should follow here. More games opens up more characters and more stories, and ultimately we'll get another KH3 that has a whole bunch of other stories getting rushed/no time for actual resolution.
also i meant kairi and riku finding sora, sorry for that of what i typed lol. and yes i hope the next games is just continuing the story, but hopefully we get a khux remake

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
also i meant kairi and riku finding sora, sorry for that of what i typed lol. and yes i hope the next games is just continuing the story, but hopefully we get a khux remake
I need a KHUX film included with whatever game is in-between MoM and KH 4.

Back