• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Mysterious Figure: "Premonition Spirit" Theory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key of Valor

The Professor
This is my theory of who the Mysterious Figure is and how he appears in BBS.

To begin, I would like to point out just a few of the Mysterious Figure's obvious features and abilities. The Mysterious Figure is a very deft fighter and skilled with his weapons, which curiously appear to be very similar in appearance and function to Xemnas' ethereal blades. The Mysterious Figure uses both its weapons in combat, much like Xemnas. The primary difference in his fighting style compared to Xemnas however is that the Mysterious Figure wields his weapons with a reversed grip, similar to Ven's method of combat. Another component of the fighting style implemented by the Mysterious Figure is how he can connect his two weapons to form a double sided weapon which he can attack with. These aspects of the Mysterious Figure's fighting style can all be traced back to a "Xehanort" one way or another.

Similarities between the Mysterious Figure's weapons and Xemnas' ethereal blades are apparent, and despite the reversed grip, the Mysterious Figure wields its weapons with the same degree of skillfulness and intensity as Xemnas.

The reversed grip that the Mysterious Figure uses has a faint connection to Ven's fighting style. Ven was originally Master Xehanort's pupil, and even while training under his former master, Ven used the reversed grip style. Therefore, it might be possible that Master Xehanort was acquainted with that fighting style and taught it to Ventus himself (much like how Vanitas' similarities to Master Xehanort's fighting style is likely the result of Master Xehanort training Vanitas to fight that way).

Then there is the Mysterious Figure's ability to wield a double sided weapon. This is similar to how Xehanort's Heartless when in the "World of Chaos" form had a double sided Soul Eater that he swiftly swung around. The Mysterious Figure, like Xehanort's Heartless, also seems fluent in using a double sided weapon in combat.

Lastly but most importantly though, there is the less apparent feature of the Mysterious Figure's fighting style. The Mysterious Figure occasionally uses a stance very similar to the one used by Master Xehanort, Vanitas, and Riku, this fighting stance being the infamous "weapon held back by the head" style. Because the Mysterious Figure is equipped with two weapons, wields them with a reversed grip, and is almost consistently in attack mode, this fighting stance is hard to notice, but it is briefly present at times during the boss battle, and it does indeed have faint similarities to the stance implemented by Master Xehanort.

Curiously, all these different aspects concerning the Mysterious figure's weapons, method of wielding, and form in combat, relate to different "Xehanorts" in so many ways. It is because of this that I believe the Mysterious Figure to be another form of Xehanort. With all these traits, once divided among the different "Xehanorts", interestingly converging in this single character, I'm also inclined to think that the Mysterious Figure is a re-unified version of Xehanort, the one that may return to existence sometime after KH2.

Of course, saying that the Mysterious Figure is a version of Xehanort that exists after KH2 presents the question of how the Mysterious Figure was able to appear as early as BBS. The Mysterious Figure does seem especially connected to the element of time, such as how he had the ability to reverse time in small incriments during the boss battle and in how the Keyblade the player receives upon defeating the Mysterious Figure has features that resemble both a clock and an hourglass. However, the concept of "time travel" is not one I personally appealing, so instead I would like to make the following argument of how a character from the future could appear in the past without application of time travel:

Ultimately, this all relates back to a key theme in BBS, this being that "all fates are predetermined". BBS presents its story as if it was the forces of destiny that charted the paths taken by each of the three heroes. There is also points in BBS where certain "premonitions" appear. These have often been subtle, such as in how Even had a feeling that he and Ventus were destined to one day cross paths again. A more apparent example of this was seen when Terra was on Destiny Islands. Riku was talking about the kid who left the islands long ago, and suddenly Terra saw an image of a young Master Xehanort followed by an image of an older Riku. In this instance, Terra saw an image of both the past and the future, perhaps indicating that time in the KH Universe is not as definite as would otherwise appear to be.

In BBS, it was shown that images of the future sometimes are able to emerge in the KH Universe, sometimes for reasons that can't be understood at the moment of the phenomenon. Personally, I consider these occurrences to be instances where the worlds sorta "glitch" to show something that the worlds feel must be shown.

I believe the Mysterious Figure is one of these "glitches", not an enemy that travels back in time, but rather an image of a future enemy that was materialized through the power of the worlds. Not a lingering spirit, but more like the exact opposite... a "preview" of future foe, and the only reason he appears in BBS is because the power of the worlds allowed Terra, Aqua, and Ven to get a sneak peak of the vast power belonging to this incredibly dangerous villain...

I believe it may be possible that the hearts of the worlds have a degree of foresight of things to come. Somehow, they are aware of the threat that Xehanort will one day pose, and in an attempt to communicate the seriousness of this threat, they materialize the Mysterious Figure, "a shadow of things to come", to demonstrate just a sample of how dangerous and powerful Xehanort will someday be. In their fear for destruction and desperation for protection, the worlds let this "premonition spirit" appear in BBS to basically forewarn the heroes of the threat yet to come.

THE GAME

Most of this theory is great, concerning who he is and all, so great job!
The only thing I don't agree with is why he was in BbS. I am 99% sure the boss fight itself isn't canon. It wouldn't make sense for any character to be there. Sure it would make sense that he time traveled, given obvious clues he controls time, but it doesn't make sense how Terra, Aqua or Ven to go to the destroyed Land of Departure at the times it was available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back