• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The mysterious "Black Coat" in the Anniversary Event

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
We were only able to catch a glimpse of this figure after meeting Mickey for the first time. You can view the image below with the figure at the upper left corner. We can't see much, but it does look a lot like one of Xehanort's black coats, don't you think?

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Except it's not. Far from it. I've gone into the event files to grab a full image of this instance:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

And here's a close up:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

It's actually the Anguis Foreteller!

We have little information about this, but what do you think is going on? Why is this Foreteller watching over Mickey and the others? What could this be leading up to?

Zero_Rock

Awards
HOLY SH-COW! Really wish for a new Keyblade or a new world, or maybe another story coming up..

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
This is so clever of them. We couldn't get a clear shot before it faded to black so at first glance, it really did appear to be someone dressed in the black coat.

Makes you wonder though; why is it this​ Foreteller?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
"Please, protect the future. You may not remember my words, but your appearance now in this time will set you on the path to correcting the countless wrongs of our day."

...is what I'd like for Anguis to say. (whoops, threw in some TWEWY. It's Mr. Kando's fault.)

But really, I'm hoping she is watching them because she wants to help them. The problem is that snakes tend to have a dual symbolic meaning. They can represent evil, sin, death, deceit. They can also represent rebirth, wisdom, healing, and guardianship.

I'd personally wish for Anguis to lean towards the good end of the spectrum because a lot of these things play a deep role in the series.

(Forgive me but because of Grass' theory, I'm sort of transposing Aqua onto Anguis...)

Of course we'd need a bit more story details...*goes to catch up on chi's story*

Last edited:

kingofgame981

Awards
Holy cow! This really surprise me! That really is a great shot, Sign, thank you for this!

I wonder why cover her in black?

Saken

鍵が導く心のまま
Awards
I should really get around to playing this...

Is it too late to get into it? Have I missed all the good stuff? Lol..

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
What I'm wondering is this: is it Anguis because the one who took and stitched the snapshot is in Anguis? Would it be any different if he / she were from another union; would it have been another Foreteller instead?

Though, if this is from the official snapshot, it's likely that it was indeed Anguis... and that just raises the question Spock asked, "Why this one?" No doubt, he (she?) will play a bigger role in the future.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
The answer may simply be that the Angius Foreteller, darkened up a bit, looked enough like the Organization's Black Coats to pass for one while they create an actual graphic, but this is too juicy to pass up in terms of speculation! Thanks Sign!

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
The answer may simply be that the Angius Foreteller, darkened up a bit, looked enough like the Organization's Black Coats to pass for one while they create an actual graphic, but this is too juicy to pass up in terms of speculation! Thanks Sign!

I was wondering that too, but I don't know. I don't think it'd be so hard for them to just make a black coat.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Interesting.
Dang it, X! Stop having things that make me want to play! I barely have enough time as is!
I'm kinda with Blackdrazon on this....buuuuuuuuuut that could be just what they WANT us to think!

And like Spockanort, I too, am transposing Aqua onto Anguis. Curse you Grass and your awesomeness.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What I'm wondering is this: is it Anguis because the one who took and stitched the snapshot is in Anguis? Would it be any different if he / she were from another union; would it have been another Foreteller instead?

No, because Sign took it and isn't she in Vulpes?

No doubt, he (she?) will play a bigger role in the future.

She. Anguis is female. As is Vulpes. Ursus, Leopardus, and Unicornis are males.

They would have made the asset for a black coat if they wanted it to have been one. They specifically chose Anguis so...

I wonder why cover her in black?

To shroud her in mystery. People weren't supposed to find out who it is until the story progressed, but since its easy to dig through the files...that mystery isn't possible to maintain.

I should really get around to playing this...

Is it too late to get into it? Have I missed all the good stuff? Lol..

It's never too late! Jump right in!

And what did King Mickey said to him?

We are still waiting for translations.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
No, because Sign took it and isn't she in Vulpes?

Yup, she's in the KHI Vulpeus team. I'm not exactly certain as to what "going into the event files" mean, actually; I had thought that it meant accessing a file that someone else, an official member of the developer team, had put up somewhere in the server, and that member is of the Anguis union. I had thought that if the member was in Vulpeus, it would have shown Vulpeus instead.

Nah, I'm probably just being scatterbrained... why would they do that, anyway?

I had just looked at the screenshot of that scene that I took. Even though it's dark, the breadth and angle of the robe actually do match Anguis' robe. Or at least I can tell that it isn't Vulpeus (I'm a Fox).

2tXqNAN.png

Dang, it's so small... but you can still compare it with the full-sized image in the OP.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I'm actually doing the translation for this particular cutscene only, just out of curiosity. I'll post it here once I'm done with it.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Okay, two people have said "they could have drawn a black coat if they wanted to" and I really have to step in here as an ex-software dev and say no. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from doing so. If they had a version of the cloaked figure lying around, that would be one thing, but their character designer just gave us five characters, three enemy varieties and one Raid Boss subspecies in the time they normally crank out two characters full stop (Cloud and Hades in the last update). And they still had to animate every cutscene and get to work animating the finale cutscene, while working on every other game they're working on over at Success Inc, which is several!

Plus, while this is just based on theory, I have to underline that if this is a new character, this character could be our Final Boss under some theories, and is certainly a major plot character. You just don't scratch that off as an afterthought in between designing the Purple Gummi Hound's attack animations. Even if they show up during the finale, the devs will have had another week to work on them.

In fact, don't forget that after a week, no player will ever see this cutscene again, because it will be removed from the game! We're talking about the top left corner of a brief animation some players never even reached because the Gummi requirement is so high, and no one will ever see it again. Yes, you could spend a minute or two making a shitty cloak to put in the corner, or you could spend twelve seconds recolouring a cloak you already, which would not only cost you less time, but look better than a rough draft.

In fact, there's a precedent for this in Kingdom Hearts itself: the Mysterious Figure in BBS is actually just Saix, and that's out in the open in a game sold to millions. I know people have, but we shouldn't with any seriousness be sitting around talking about Xehanort secretly being Saix in disguise just because "They could have made a new model if they wanted to."

It still could be the Angius Foreteller, but please don't underestimate the time investment and workload that goes into creating these assets by implying the devs could create them in a sneeze. I know no one intended to but please understand: making games is hard.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Okay, two people have said "they could have drawn a black coat if they wanted to" and I really have to step in here as an ex-software dev and say no. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from doing so. If they had a version of the cloaked figure lying around, that would be one thing, but their character designer just gave us five characters, three enemy varieties and one Raid Boss subspecies in the time they normally crank out two characters full stop (Cloud and Hades in the last update). And they still had to animate every cutscene and get to work animating the finale cutscene, while working on every other game they're working on over at Success Inc, which is several!

Plus, while this is just based on theory, I have to underline that if this is a new character, this character could be our Final Boss under some theories, and is certainly a major plot character. You just don't scratch that off as an afterthought in between designing the Purple Gummi Hound's attack animations.

And don't forget that after a week, no player will ever see this cutscene again, because it will be removed from the game! We're talking about the top left corner of a brief animation some players never even reached because the Gummi requirement is so high. Yes, you could spend a minute or two making a shitty cloak to put in the corner, or you could spend twelve seconds recolouring a cloak you already, which would not only cost you less time, but look better than a rough draft.

In fact, there's a precedent for this in Kingdom Hearts itself: the Mysterious Figure in BBS is actually just Saix, and that's out in the open in a game sold to millions. I know people have, but we shouldn't with any seriousness be sitting around talking about Xehanort secretly being Saix in disguise just because "They could have made a new model if they wanted to."

It still could be the Angius Foreteller, but please don't underestimate the time investment and workload that goes into creating these assets. Making games is hard.

As a former graphic designer I kind of feel like there's a huge difference though between these assets and game models like what they did with Saix's body. Like, if they're cutting corners cool, I'd get why but I don't think it would really be that difficult to made an idle animation of another character if that's what they were going for. I think it's just as likely that this was intentional. If not moreso.

Last edited:

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Well, your former field would outrank my former field on this, Tinny, but I still feel like I wouldn't focus my effort on something shoved in a corner. That's my two cents.

Kazr10

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm actually doing the translation for this particular cutscene only, just out of curiosity. I'll post it here once I'm done with it.

I'm almost done though. However I always translate using Aegis so gotta find a way to pass on the .ass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back