• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Monstropolis World storyline from what we know so far...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoraForeverKH

So, I've been watching and rewatching the few scenes from Monsters Inc World which was shown in the D23 2018 trailers, tryin piece together the evidence that could be found to figure out the plot ideas for that world. A few things I took notice of was the different times on the clocks scattered through the trailer of Monstropolis, the enemy types, MI original characters being displayed, locations, and where it gets really tricky...the odd balance between 'scare floor' & 'fun floor.'
I mean, at the start of the world as shown in the trailer Sora easily reads the large letters on the factory to make out "we scare because we care"... Yet, throughout the rest of the trailer's clips, you can see a large banner in the showroom that reads" Think fun!" While there's also a lot of balloons and confetti around where the doors sit, covering the floor. This takes careful observing to notice, but it's all there. Now, what I'm trying to figure out is where SE is taking the storyine for this world. It appears to hold a little bit from the original movie and some additional sequel events. Mike and Sulley are obviously with their little friend Boo again, but is she representing her role from the start of the film, or is she brought in to reprise her role in a short storyline of her return, specifically after the end of the film, where Mike is revealed to have repaired Boo's door after it had been through the door shredder?
All I am getting from the trailer is a big puzzle... How can this world be acting for two different storylines, where one is they first find Boo during their ol' scare days at the scare factory, and next thing we see is the 'scare' being replaced with 'fun and the 'scream' being replaced by 'laugh.'

What could this mean??? Looking for some other fan's and great observers ideas and opinions, if there is any after reading this.
My thoughts right is maybe this world will share a similar plot to Toy Box, where you'll discover the world has somehow been split or copied, or maybe even have some kind of past to future alternate timeline. Hey, wouldn't be too far-fetched from DDD, right? ^^'
One thing I can say for sure is the main topic will be 'emotions' which would explain Vanitas getting chosen for a part in that particular world, along with his minions the Unversed

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
There’s a scaffolding in front of the sign outside. It appears they’re taking down the “We scare because we care” to change it to something else. I’m pretty sure it’s going to take place after Sulley has rebuilt Boo’s door so the film can be canon to the world like Toy Story.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards

So, I've been watching and rewatching the few scenes from Monsters Inc World which was shown in the D23 2018 trailers, tryin piece together the evidence that could be found to figure out the plot ideas for that world. A few things I took notice of was the different times on the clocks scattered through the trailer of Monstropolis, the enemy types, MI original characters being displayed, locations, and where it gets really tricky...the odd balance between 'scare floor' & 'fun floor.'
I mean, at the start of the world as shown in the trailer Sora easily reads the large letters on the factory to make out "we scare because we care"... Yet, throughout the rest of the trailer's clips, you can see a large banner in the showroom that reads" Think fun!" While there's also a lot of balloons and confetti around where the doors sit, covering the floor. This takes careful observing to notice, but it's all there. Now, what I'm trying to figure out is where SE is taking the storyine for this world. It appears to hold a little bit from the original movie and some additional sequel events. Mike and Sulley are obviously with their little friend Boo again, but is she representing her role from the start of the film, or is she brought in to reprise her role in a short storyline of her return, specifically after the end of the film, where Mike is revealed to have repaired Boo's door after it had been through the door shredder?
All I am getting from the trailer is a big puzzle... How can this world be acting for two different storylines, where one is they first find Boo during their ol' scare days at the scare factory, and next thing we see is the 'scare' being replaced with 'fun and the 'scream' being replaced by 'laugh.'

What could this mean??? Looking for some other fan's and great observers ideas and opinions, if there is any after reading this.

I'm not sure what scenes you saw, but i don't like there's much to think about. the story takes place after the events of the movie since the laugh floor is still there. the sign "we scare because we care" was in the process of getting altered, because at this point, everyone still thinks they're getting power from screams but in reality its from laughter since its 10x more powerful.

SoraForeverKH

There’s a scaffolding in front of the sign outside. It appears they’re taking down the “We scare because we care” to change it to something else. I’m pretty sure it’s going to take place after Sulley has rebuilt Boo’s door so the film can be canon to the world like Toy Story.

Good point! I also thought that it looked like a lot of construction was going on around the factory where it shows the team running outside of the factory. I also thought the sign looked old and forgotten too, just wanted to see if anybody else shared the same thought.
So, perhaps this means the story takes place after the 1st film and the factory focuses more on the power of children's laughs than screams, Boo's shredded door has been repaired, explaining her reason for being back in Monstropolis, and Sora and Co. arrives in the middle of everything, where shortly after Vanitas comes in with his hordes of darkness to terrorize the world. KH main plot here would be to test how emotions are linked to people's—or in this case monster's hearts, leading to using those same tactics to later tempt Sora's heart further.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! I'm definitely seeing a clearer picture again now. (laughs)

I'm not sure what scenes you saw, but i don't like there's much to think about. the story takes place after the events of the movie since the laugh floor is still there. the sign "we scare because we care" was in the process of getting altered, because at this point, everyone still thinks they're getting power from screams but in reality its from laughter since its 10x more powerful.

Another very good point! This conclusion makes the best sense so far, I think we've about got it. Thanks guys! So, while we're still on the topic, anything else you can see happening or would like to see?

ImVentus

Awards
RIP older Boo ending.

Before Monsters Inc's involvement in KH, lots of people assumed that Sulley was visiting a slightly older Boo at the end of the film. If the story is picking up where the film left off, that means that Randall & Waternoose are all out the picture of possible involvement. Maybe Randall could make an appearance since they trio will visit the door room but Waternoose should be behind bars at this point.

I did take it as a sequel just like Toy Box, but who knows if they do something entirely different.

SoraForeverKH

RIP older Boo ending.

Before Monsters Inc's involvement in KH, lots of people assumed that Sulley was visiting a slightly older Boo at the end of the film. If the story is picking up where the film left off, that means that Randall & Waternoose are all out the picture of possible involvement. Maybe Randall could make an appearance since they trio will visit the door room but Waternoose should be behind bars at this point.

I did take it as a sequel just like Toy Box, but who knows if they do something entirely different.

Yeah, I remember thinking she was older then too. Haha! Guess we got our answer! And yes, that would definitely mean we probably won't be seeing those old characters. Thanks for covering that, it was also something I was considering. I have found out we'll be seeing some of the CDA again.
So, this world will be an added sequel plot too, with some original KH flare mixed into it. It looks like just like the film, after Boo was secretly removed from the monster world the monsters still go on to believe humans don't belong in their world and might be dangerous. Explaining why Mike mentioned "you guys aren't afraid of humans?" But who will the CDA be more concerned about, a little girl or all the dark minions running around, catching things on fire? Hmm....
Oh, I can't wait!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
What I'm curious about is Vanitas' goal in Montropolis. We exactly is he after? We know that Y. Xehanort is using Toy Box as a means to find the 13th member. Does Vanitas hope to find the same thing in the Monster world?

ImVentus

Awards
But who will the CDA be more concerned about, a little girl or all the dark minions running around, catching things on fire? Hmm....
Oh, I can't wait!
Thanks!

That sounded funnier than it should have. It's gonna be interesting to see.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com

So, I've been watching and rewatching the few scenes from Monsters Inc World which was shown in the D23 2018 trailers, tryin piece together the evidence that could be found to figure out the plot ideas for that world. A few things I took notice of was the different times on the clocks scattered through the trailer of Monstropolis

Aren't the clocks on and around the scare floor, even in the movie, set to different time zones around the world so they know when kids from certain doors are asleep?

Its obvious the plot doesn't take place long after the movie, but it definitely takes place after but likely before the epilogue. The factory is clearly transitioning. That being said, if the second playable character will be playable in Disney worlds.._ I wouldn't be surprised if this world and others are split in two like Toy Box is, like you said. That way, they can have outlandish stories that contradict the source material a bit (Sulley and Mike getting Boo back, Buzz having real lasers) and still being able to claim 'canonity'. Alternate timelines aren't out of the realm of possibility.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
What exactly is the point you're trying to make with the topic? from the title, it gives the impression that you have an idea as to what the plot of the world is about, yet when it comes to the post itself, you're confused with the narrative.

And I don't understand how you got the idea of Vanitas splitting the world just because Young Xehanort did it. Young Xehanort was experienced with splitting worlds because he was the antagonist for Dream Drop Distance, a game with parallel worlds. That's his forte. Vanitas has nothing to do with that sort of Kingdom Hearts shenanigans.

What I'm curious about is Vanitas' goal in Montropolis. We exactly is he after? We know that Y. Xehanort is using Toy Box as a means to find the 13th member. Does Vanitas hope to find the same thing in the Monster world?

My guess, he's using the scream canisters as an alternate fuel to form the Unversed. Maybe his initial approach to creating Unversed was too strenuous for him as a Seeker of Darkness, so a more convenient workaround would be the scream technology implemented in Monstropolis.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
And I don't understand how you got the idea of Vanitas splitting the world just because Young Xehanort did it. Young Xehanort was experienced with splitting worlds because he was the antagonist for Dream Drop Distance, a game with parallel worlds. That's his forte. Vanitas has nothing to do with that sort of Kingdom Hearts shenanigans.

Is it really that much of a stretch to suggest all of the New Organization XIII have acquired the ability to do so?

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Is it really that much of a stretch to suggest all of the New Organization XIII have acquired the ability to do so?

Yes.

For starters, we don't know who all of the Seekers of Darkness are. And even if we did, it's not a universally Xehanort trait to split worlds. We've seen that there are abilities that are exclusive to Ansem Seeker of Darkness, Xemnas and Young Xehanort.

Also, from a storytelling perspective, that's just dumb. Imagine visiting every Disney world and finding out that it's a split alternate reality. It works with the Toy Story world because Toy Story is a world based on reality save for the toys coming to life. Monsters Inc. doesn't need split worlds. The world is comprised of Monsters, that's fantastical enough for the events in Kingdom Hearts to occur in the real Monstropolis.

WhinyAcademic

Awards
Yes.

For starters, we don't know who all of the Seekers of Darkness are. And even if we did, it's not a universally Xehanort trait to split worlds. We've seen that there are abilities that are exclusive to Ansem Seeker of Darkness, Xemnas and Young Xehanort.

Also, from a storytelling perspective, that's just dumb. Imagine visiting every Disney world and finding out that it's a split alternate reality. It works with the Toy Story world because Toy Story is a world based on reality save for the toys coming to life. Monsters Inc. doesn't need split worlds. The world is comprised of Monsters, that's fantastical enough for the events in Kingdom Hearts to occur in the real Monstropolis.

Not knowing who all the Seekers are doesn’t make his idea any more of a stretch. If one Xehanort could do it, I don’t see why another couldn’t. And who knows, maybe YX did it for him. I think you’re being too close minded about this.

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
I feel like this world follows the events of the movie. For one, it's just an easier way to use Boo without needing to come up with a reason why she's returned, when they forced Sulley to separate from her already. I don't think Sulley would drag her away from her home after everything that happened the first time, but would just use her door to visit her.

And another, is that they're worried about Sora, Donald, and Goofy (residents of Monstropolis for all they know) seeing the kid (literally thinking they're toxic), yet by the end of the movie they aren't afraid of kids anymore. In the one scene, there's helicopters so that could be a recreation of the scene where they're running away because Boo was spotted.

The scare floor could easily be an later-on version, after they begin using laughter instead of screams.

Also, with consideration to Vanitas, it would actually be better to show the transition between using fear/screams and laughter, however they chose to depict him.

I don't think they'd split up this world, too. That's already being done in Toy Box for one specific reason (observing the hearts of toys for the 13th vessel), so it's just lazy to repeat that plotline.

Not knowing who all the Seekers are doesn’t make his idea any more of a stretch. If one Xehanort could do it, I don’t see why another couldn’t. And who knows, maybe YX did it for him. I think you’re being too close minded about this.

It's really boring storytelling to have the same plot for every world and give all the Seekers the same power.

Awards
There’s no way that this takes place after the film. Especially since Mike pointed out that Sora isn’t afraid of humans.

There’s also the helicopters from the CDA.

I’m almost positive the laughter floor gameplay in the trailer was most likely from after the world is finished.

Sdog

Awards
There’s no way that this takes place after the film. Especially since Mike pointed out that Sora isn’t afraid of humans.

I’m almost positive the laughter floor gameplay in the trailer was most likely from after the world is finished.

Not necessarily. Mike could be surprised because the general monster population shouldn't know all about humans yet. You can also see the decorations from cutscene shots in the trailers.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
Not necessarily. Mike could be surprised because the general monster population shouldn't know all about humans yet. You can also see the decorations from cutscene shots in the trailers.

It can make sense, if they imply that the door was repaired faster than the movie implied and that they only recently started a campaign for trying to get monsters to understand that humans aren't dangerous, then it's plausible. Changing something the masses believed for hundreds or even thousands of years (see Monster's Inc dvd deleted storyboard Mans and Mons) would take more than just the word of two monsters working at one of several scare factories in the monster world. Especially if the CDA knew humans weren't dangerous based on their line of work, it could have run as deep as a government conspiracy.

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com

This is actually the most logical explanation. Gimme a Randall boss fight

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
This is actually the most logical explanation. Gimme a Randall boss fight

Randall and Waternoose could still be in the game. Randall was only thrown into a door, it wouldn't take much for him to sneak in another closet and get back to the monster world. Waternoose could have broken out of custody for revenge too. I feel like they wouldn't want to base the world off the movie at this point. It seems they're more interested in trying to come up with something new that fits the movie's continuity.

SoraForeverKH

What I'm curious about is Vanitas' goal in Montropolis. What exactly is he after? We know that Y. Xehanort is using Toy Box as a means to find the 13th member. Does Vanitas hope to find the same thing in the Monster world?

Vanitas is all about what it means to feel empty but have emotions, so I am leaning towards all the various emotions children feel, especially since we have been told there's no power stronger than what comes from children of the worlds. I love Vanitas so I'm really looking forward to seeing what he'll do now, and around Sora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back