• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Mark of Mastery is outdated

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gram

Banned
Awards
No theory or such just a question. Doesn't the whole Mark of Mastery thing feel superfluous or outdated to anyone? We've seen three kinds so far which was the:

• "Traditional" way that Terra & Aqua took
• The test Yen Sid gave Sora & Riku
• The test Mickey was taking at the start of BBS

But there wasn't any real set standard. I mean how are any of these tied in any way to a title? Smacking light orbs? Surfing water on a book? Diving through sleep?

There's nothing really related. It all just seems to hinge on your teacher/master saying "well that's good enough for me your a master now". It all just falls back on the master deciding your one.

It's said in the DDD glossary that only one master can give the official title and its powers to a new one but the thing this seems to grant is the power to release hearts.
The keyblade inheritance ceremony is supposed to be a master exclusive power but Terra performs it any way just cause he's of master level in power.
Then there's the comment Nomura made that only Eraqus could name Terra a master when asked about MX flattering Terra with the title.

If only the teacher can name the student a master then how did Yen Sid make Riku one?
If the KIC can be performed by master level people like Terra then what's the point of needing an official title?

The only thing that seems to be gained by the title is the power to release hearts but so far only MX has made use of that. (Eraqus did to but his body was dying so meh)

It makes it all just feel....pointless. Almost outdated.

EDIT:
On my phone so can't pull any vids or vid links arm but just in case anyone asks, yes the first scene you see of Mickey in BBS (surfing water on a book) was confirmed to be his MoM exam in an interview.

Same for the comment when asked if MX named Terra "Master Terra". This was just flattery, Nomura said MX can't name him a true master.

Last edited:

Rau Le Creuset

Re: Is the Mark of Mastery outdated?

I guess in a way it is outdated, especially since some of the masters have never gotten off their ass to make one good contribution to the fight. The trials as you pointed out are all different, but they all end up challenging the same thing, your will. As for the title and granted power, I think the former is the greater of the two. Having the name master definitely means something, both to the master and the others surrounding him.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

I can't help but feel like the writers sort of wrote themselves into a corner with this one. Apparently, all that's really needed is for the masters to determine that they are ready in order to properly receive the title.

One thing to keep in mind, though: while there was never really a standard, each case had different tests to determine, in that Keyblade Master's eyes, whether or not the one undertaking the test is worthy to be a Keyblade Master or not. It's possible that there technically is no set standard and that the one making the test is testing their pupils because they know better than anyone else what they can do and where they need to excel.

Anyway, to answer your OP, I don't consider the Mark of Mastery exam to be completely outdated, I do not think it is always the best test of what makes a someone a Master or not. Terra is the most painfully obvious example of this.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

If you can deliver me a pizza in 20 minutes or less, you shall become a Master! ( I'd have the best Mark of Mastery exams:) )

...There is no set standard for the MoM and are instead, tests of the Keyblade Master's choosing. You don't need to be declared Master in order to have the power of one. When Aqua was declared Master, all she got (that we know of) was the responsibility of taking care of the LoD.
The Mark Of Mastery seems more to do with the Keyblade Master finding a worthy successor to take his/her place than granting them fancy powers.

To answer to OP, I'm not sure. XD

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

I just think Birth by Sleep tried a bit hard into setting in stone many plot points of the Saga by giving them a fancy title, but since BbS came after, like, five games later, the utilization of these concepts were a minimum, even with subsequent titles.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I mean we can go into it more, but it's definitely outdated. Even Eraqus knew it was outdated, Master Xehanort talked him into giving the exam so he could rig it.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

In that case. Gram bring us some Tacos!!!

I don't think it has to do anything being outdated. I believe its more of a "reason" to make sure you can if its safe for the wielder to hold the Keyblade. Every approach seems to be different.

yamibakura

also in ddd it was just an excuse to reset soras abilities and power.in kh2 sora was broken.he was fast agressive with lots of mobility and magic.also limits and forms were op.in master form u can perfrm an infinite loop pf magic.so the MoM EXAM was just a plot device to start over.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Terra's and Aqua's exam wasn't intended to mean anything because Eraqus was all set to promote them both, until Xehanort came in and sabotaged it to drive Terra away.

also in ddd it was just an excuse to reset soras abilities and power.in kh2 sora was broken.he was fast agressive with lots of mobility and magic.also limits and forms were op.in master form u can perfrm an infinite loop pf magic.so the MoM EXAM was just a plot device to start over.

Let's not use KH2's outrageously flashy gameplay as proof of Sora's skills.

Gram

Banned
Awards

I don't think it has to do anything being outdated. I believe its more of a "reason" to make sure you can if its safe for the wielder to hold the Keyblade. Every approach seems to be different.
Hmm...I don't think the test being to see if it's safe is the reason. The keyblade decides who wields them and as we seen with Terra they even decide who has the power to perform the ceremonies.

There's no real way to find out who's safe to have one or not I don't think. MX managed to fool his only/oldest friend Eraqus for decades.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

Hmm...I don't think the test being to see if it's safe is the reason. The keyblade decides who wields them and as we seen with Terra they even decide who has the power to perform the ceremonies.

There's no real way to find out who's safe to have one or not I don't think. MX managed to fool his only/oldest friend Eraqus for decades.

I don't mean like its for to wield. I meant that to make sure you go through some thing to make sure you nothing goes wrong. I haven't played BBS so I wouldn't be sure if Terra passed it or not. Although I do remember Aqua getting the mark. Riku as well in DDD. One of the things about them two they conquered or don't tolerate the reach into the Darkness...you can clarify that part for me lol.

Did Master Xehanort and Eraqus ever go through Mark of Mastery for their own?

Gram

Banned
Awards

I don't mean like its for to wield. I meant that to make sure you go through some thing to make sure you nothing goes wrong. I haven't played BBS so I wouldn't be sure if Terra passed it or not. Although I do remember Aqua getting the mark. Riku as well in DDD. One of the things about them two they conquered or don't tolerate the reach into the Darkness...you can clarify that part for me lol.

Did Master Xehanort and Eraqus ever go through Mark of Mastery for their own?

Terra had the qualification to pass but MX was rigging it all. He suggested a test to Eraqus and then suggested Terra might not be ready because of his darkness.
Terra however was ready and the keyblade thought this. The keyblade thought of Terra as suitable which is why his ceremony with Riku worked.

Darkness has nothing to do with the mark. Terra, MX and even Riku make use of darkness. The keyblade cares not for darkness or light.
The keyblade more or less lets the wielder do whatever they wants after it's found someone to wield it.

It could be assumed they did since MX suggested the "traditional" test for Terra & Aqua.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

Terra had the qualification to pass but MX was rigging it all. He suggested a test to Eraqus and then suggested Terra might not be ready because of his darkness.
Terra however was ready and the keyblade thought this. The keyblade thought of Terra as suitable which is why his ceremony with Riku worked.

Darkness has nothing to do with the mark. Terra, MX and even Riku make use of darkness. The keyblade cares not for darkness or light.
The keyblade more or less lets the wielder do whatever they wants after it's found someone to wield it.

It could be assumed they did since MX suggested the "traditional" test for Terra & Aqua.

So what's the general point of taking the Mark of Mastery?

How do you pass and how do you fail?

Gram

Banned
Awards

So what's the general point of taking the Mark of Mastery?

How do you pass and how do you fail?

Haha That's just it, there is no real point. That's why I made the thread. So far the only thing that the title has shown to give you that you can't get on your own is the power to release hearts. Which so far is something only MX has made excessive use of. (Eraqus was dying so I don't count him)

You pretty much pass or fail based entirely on the master giving your test.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

Haha That's just it, there is no real point. That's why I made the thread. So far the only thing that the title has shown to give you that you can't get on your own is the power to release hearts. Which so far is something only MX has made excessive use of. (Eraqus was dying so I don't count him)

On top of that, how the test goes completely depends on the master so there's no consistency at all. Which is why I find the subject so weird. There are no general rules or regulations to speak of and the exam only matters to the immediate group of people involved.

Like in the case of Master Eraqus, his main concern is seeing if his pupils can control their darkness under stress, which was how Terra failed. This would obviously be a different case if Master Xehanort, or maybe even Yen Sid, were administering it because they have different values.

Last edited:

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

So it all hinges on your Master to decide whether you pass or fail? I was reading a little bit from the Keyhole. From BBS and DDD, the ones that actually failed both rigged by Xehanort. Ventus was young to take the test. Aqua and Riku passed because they were true to their heart.

Gram

Banned
Awards

So it all hinges on your Master to decide whether you pass or fail?
Yep as Ruran pointed out here:

On top of that, how the test goes completely depends on the master so there's no consistency at all. Which is why I find the subject so weird. There are no general rules or regulations to speak of and the exam only matters to the immediate group of people involved.

Like in the case of Master Eraqus, his main concern is seeing if his pupils can control their darkness under stress, which was how Terra failed. This would obviously be a different case if Master Xehanort, maybe or even Yen Sid, were administering it because they have different values.

It's all based entirely on your test giver with no real regulations, rules or consistency. Even Sora called the test a formality.

I was reading a little bit from the Keyhole. From BBS and DDD, the ones that actually failed both rigged by Xehanort. Ventus was young to take the test. Aqua and Riku passed because they were true to their heart.

I'd be leery of the keyhole, KH wikis tend to be oddly wrong or unsoundly sourced. They didn't pass because they was true to their heart but simply because their test givers thought they passed.

Aqua meet Eraqus' biased views of darkness and he passed her. Riku went beyond his given task and passed.
It had nothing to do with staying true to their hearts. (although Riku overcoming his past was a factor for him)

Gram

Banned
Awards

in DDD you see sora and riku in the sea like mickey's test

That's not their test. That's the storm of the night the Destiny Islands fell to darkness. The water in Mickeys test was created by Yen Sid.
Two entirely different things there.

Xehanort-X-blade

keyblade graveyard waiting for the war to begin

That's not their test. That's the storm of the night the Destiny Islands fell to darkness. The water in Mickeys test was created by Yen Sid.
Two entirely different things there.
i know the water of mickeys test made by yen sid but kinda the same since both ursula and the water in mickey test dissper but thx for the info now i know it's not a test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back