• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Mark of Mastery is outdated

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Is the Mark of Mastery outdated?

Yep as Ruran pointed out here:

It's all based entirely on your test giver with no real regulations, rules or consistency. Even Sora called the test a formality.

I'd be leery of the keyhole, KH wikis tend to be oddly wrong or unsoundly sourced. They didn't pass because they was true to their heart but simply because their test givers thought they passed.

Aqua meet Eraqus' biased views of darkness and he passed her. Riku went beyond his given task and passed.
It had nothing to do with staying true to their hearts. (although Riku overcoming his past was a factor for him)

Well...If you think about it for a second. Like I said in the beginning. It's a "reason" to take the exam. Sora was highly confident of himself but Riku knew what he was getting himself into. Maybe that factor was definitely the reason why he passed. Sora in the other hand was happy dandy but he ended up in the wrongs but that's not his fault entirely since it was a trap. And Terra was caught with the darkness during his battle with Aqua. So to Eraqus' eyes, he wasn't deemed for Eraqus' requirements but for Xehanort's that was he wanted.

So, yeah to generalize every thing. It all depends on what the Master wants which what we all already are assuming.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

I think it's a bit testing of both will and strength of one's heart and biased based on the Master giving it.

IMO, I think that darkness is like a clutch, that some of the characters use to make themselves feel more powerful, something to hold on because they truthfully feel they aren't. Look at Riku, why did he go with the dark side at first? Why did Terra? Both boys went with Darkness because they felt doubt about themselves. The reason why Terra didn't become Master is because of his doubt and because he was using darkness to make him stronger, instead of using his own strength. Riku did become Master because he did overcome his doubt and accepted himself and his true power. As for will, we can see that Riku got it because he didn't let darkness consume and control him, he broke out of that and instead controlled the darkness, Terra didn't.

But I also do think the whole test is bit biased based on the Master giving it, but if you remember, the keyblade chooses it's wielder, not the master choosing the keyblade and which wielder it goes to.

So for me becoming a Keyblade Master or even being a Wielder isn't about who's light or dark, it's how strong their will is, their strength, to overcome any obstacles, mentally and physically. So either way, anyone is a wielder, no matter what side they are on. Having the official title of Master? Depends on the Master giving the test and deciding if you pass.

So to answer the OP's question, Is the Mark of Master outdated? I think it is... I mean, Sora and Riku seriously proved themselves to be Master, I really didn't see why they need a test, because either way, as Terra showed us, you don't need to be named an official "Master" to do some of the abilities Masters do.

Last edited:

MegaxXxman

Just as a small bit, Riku passed the exam as well because in DDD he without knowing became a dream eater to protect Sora in his dreams? Along with the fact he didn't let his darkness take over and let it become his power. I feel like sora has gone through enough to be considered a master though he sometimes docent act like it ha.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Well...If you think about it for a second. Like I said in the beginning. It's a "reason" to take the exam. Sora was highly confident of himself but Riku knew what he was getting himself into. Maybe that factor was definitely the reason why he passed. Sora in the other hand was happy dandy but he ended up in the wrongs but that's not his fault entirely since it was a trap. And Terra was caught with the darkness during his battle with Aqua. So to Eraqus' eyes, he wasn't deemed for Eraqus' requirements but for Xehanort's that was he wanted.

So, yeah to generalize every thing. It all depends on what the Master wants which what we all already are assuming.
Meh. Personally I chalk up the "reason" for them taking a test in DDD was a reason someone gave prior, to reset Sora & Riku to 1 for the game.
What they needed was a power gained from opening the 7 sleeping keyholes rather than any master related powers.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Meh. Personally I chalk up the "reason" for them taking a test in DDD was a reason someone gave prior, to reset Sora & Riku to 1 for the game.
What they needed was a power gained from opening the 7 sleeping keyholes rather than any master related powers.

Exactly, and to gain that power Yen Sid could just have them send on an official mission like the official mission in KH 2 was to defeat the Organisation.
There was no need to actually make a "Mark of Mastery" exam out of it. Even IF it is really necessary for Sora and Riku to learn handling the Keyblade the "proper" way, they could have it set up like with Lea or just have them learn it during the mission to get the power to awaken sleeping hearts.
This would have made all the time-travel mumbo-jumbo and de-aging superfluous and the story would have been more comprehensible. Combine that with also foregoing time-travel on Xehanort's part and have him bring back Xemnas and Ansem somehow with the "everything can have a heart"-explanation as well as weaving the whole "trapped in sleep"-issue in (would be ideal to show that Xehanort already has the power Sora and Riku are trying to obtain), turn Young Xehanort into a version of Xehanort that has an origin different than the past and voilá you get a more cohesive plot.
Heck, they could even have included Kairi in the whole setup cause she also needs to learn how to handle the Keyblade. While she would not be playable, she would at least appear in some scenes and interact with Yen Sid, Mickey, Donald and Goofy in the tower with the King giving her the first lessons in Keyblade-wielding.
I'd assume that when Lea then appears in the tower to ask Yen Sid like in the actual game, him meeting Kairi there would be for an interesting sight.

But of course then Nomura couldn't use KH 1-Sora and Riku models which he seems to have quite the fetish for and of course, for him, it wouldn't be "surprising" enough without the whole time-travel mumbo-jumbo. :p

Gram

Banned
Awards

^ I think we can all agree theres so many easier ways DDD could've went down. x[
Sora & Riku has pretty much showed that proper training isn't necessary and Terra has shown being a master isn't necessary.
"Learning the proper way" is just a way of resetting to zero and to explain Sora being able to keyblade transform in KH3 more or less.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

^ I think we can all agree theres so many easier ways DDD could've went down. x[
Sora & Riku has pretty much showed that proper training isn't necessary and Terra has shown being a master isn't necessary.
"Learning the proper way" is just a way of resetting to zero and to explain Sora being able to keyblade transform in KH3 more or less.

Of course, but I just love to see Nomura try to find some excuse for things that happens in the game, when it's obvious why they did it. xD

Gram

Banned
Awards

Of course, but I just love to see Nomura try to find some excuse for things that happens in the game, when it's obvious why they did it. xD

Do gotta give him trouble for trying. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back