• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Making of Birth by Sleep - Art Direction

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
The next entry in 1UP.com's blog concerning the making of Birth by Sleep. This time we hear from Art Director Takeshi Fujimoto. Enjoy--

Takeshi Fujimoto said:
Hi everyone, my name is Takeshi Fujimoto, and I am the Art Director for KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep.

The Research

For Disney worlds such as Castle of Dreams (Cinderella) and Dwarf Woodlands (Snow White), we based a lot of the map designs on the film. Basically we watched the DVDs over and over and recreated the worlds in 3-D as accurately as possible.

For the details we couldn’t quite get from the films, we contacted Disney for help. For example, there were no scenes showing the backside of the giant ship Durgon from Lilo & Stitch, so we had to ask Disney for materials that provided a full view.

In Castle of Dreams, there’s a section where the player shrinks to the size of a mouse and explores Cinderella’s home by traveling through the mouse holes. Even Disney didn’t have materials for the “behind-the-wall” environments, so we did a lot of research on Rococo architecture from the 1750’s and created the map from scratch.

We had a lot of research materials from the previous games on hand, so we didn’t have to do any scouting. But during early development (summer of ’07), there was a Disney Art gallery that all of us went to see! We saw so many exceptional pieces that got us motivated, such as artwork hand drawn by Ivan Earl (Art Director for Sleeping Beauty). The art portfolio we bought there became a great reference for the designs.

The Challenges

It was hard to determine how much data we could use during early development, since the game engine wasn’t running optimally yet.

The first environment we worked on was Sleeping Beauty’s castle , which is covered by a hedge of thorns. In its earlier renditions, the number of polygons we implemented on the map ended up exceeding the processing limit. What makes KINGDOM HEARTS so fun is all the fast-paced action and fighting multiple enemies at once, so it wouldn’t be any fun if things started to lag after two enemies showed up, would it?

To save data space on the maps, we toned down the thorns, removed some polygons from the back of the castle, and decreased the amount of textures we used. In order to compress the data and optimize the graphics, we went through a lot of trial and error with data tests, but by the time we were six months into development the programmers had fine-tuned the graphic engine to the point where the game could run smoothly even with higher poly-count maps. We were then able to add all the detail we wanted back into the game. And because we were able to create larger maps, we could incorporate much more volume into areas like the Rumble Racing course maps, making for a very satisfying racing experience.

Of course, the amount of data we could utilize on a PSP is significantly less than that on the PS2. Things like trying to realize the Disney characters in as much detail as possible, or figuring out how much resolution to maintain on characters’ faces, were challenges we faced throughout the development process. Lowering the resolution makes the images blurry, so for the areas we regretfully had to cut on the resolution, we adjusted the colors and contrast to make the visuals pop.

It was not easy to recreate the softer lines Disney characters are known for with the limitation on polygon count. We were definitely cautious about where to splurge on the polygons!

There were challenges and difficulties along the way, but I’m very proud of the final look and feel of the world and characters.

KH Destiny, 1UP

Last edited:

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Pretty interesting subject, IMO. Nice to hear about their interaction with Disney and how that whole process works.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
Good to see the process on how they made these worlds. It seems like they did this for every Disney world and tried the best the their ability which makes me sad when people complain about the platforming

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I like how watching Disney movies over and over again is considered "work". :p
This is the kind of thing I need to sign up for.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Interesting how the process works ^^

Key

Exile
Awards
I like how watching Disney movies over and over again is considered "work". :p
This is the kind of thing I need to sign up for.

bwahaha, i'm planning on going to college for this stuff. XD

it IS super-cool to hear about how they do these things, makes you realize all the work they put into it...

destiny seeker

Seeker of the Future
Awards
This is very interestiny. It's cool to know how it's all done. I might even do this one day. (I hope)
Nice find!

Raiinu K.D.

Awards
@skyfoxx: *granted.

This is great! To me, it's always so interesting to see how anything is made, but especially when it's my favorite video game. It seems like hard, but also fun work, and it definitely paid off. I dream of doing stuff like this, too, someday~ =w=

Tidus14

well iu was watching sleaping beaty a month ago. I hope it will be like in the movie. with the woods etc.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
It has the woods. screencaps from the game confirm just about every environment in the movie.

that said, I'm surprised they didnt mention what it was like adapting Eeyvind Earle's artwork for the game. If you watch the 2008 restored DVD/Blu-ray of Sleeping Beauty, you'll see an incredible amount of graphic design and detail poured into the backgrounds, like a medieval tapestry. surely, that would've been a bit challenging?

chrisora2066

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
wow i thought bar the voices and that they give the rights to the movies that disney had no involvment in the game but they do they really help the map desighners a lot

CreativeGenius13

I'm quite suprised they didn't mention the dungeons of Queen Grimhilda (The Wicked Queen. The name was in an origional scrip but was cut for the actual film.) which were never truely seen in the films.

Depp Space had it's idea of what those areas looked like and I'm sure there was a scene early in Cinderella with the iner wall are but the dungeon had probably nothing to go by.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
that said, I'm surprised they didnt mention what it was like adapting Eeyvind Earle's artwork for the game. If you watch the 2008 restored DVD/Blu-ray of Sleeping Beauty, you'll see an incredible amount of graphic design and detail poured into the backgrounds, like a medieval tapestry. surely, that would've been a bit challenging?

The Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray is honestly one of the most beautiful works of animation I've ever seen. And, yeah, it would be really interesting to hear what kind of compromises they needed to make to get those settings into a PSP game. XD;

I'm quite suprised they didn't mention the dungeons of Queen Grimhilda (The Wicked Queen. The name was in an origional scrip but was cut for the actual film.) which were never truely seen in the films.

Depp Space had it's idea of what those areas looked like and I'm sure there was a scene early in Cinderella with the iner wall are but the dungeon had probably nothing to go by.

No, they definitely had reference materials to work on for Grimhilde's dungeon.

Remember the scene in Sleeping Beauty where Maleficent has Prince Philip locked up?

I'd read that was originally intended to be used in Snow White, but they decided against it. Which means they had to have had concept art for that dungeon.

destinykh

The Troll
Awards
Sinking into the light with a heart of pure darkne

It WAS briefly seen, when the Queen (in her hag form) left the castle to find Snow White in a boat. She kicked a skeleton in that scene, remember? I think the dungeons in BBS were inspired by that short scene and her lab (although sadly, that lab didn't appear in the game:().

Recon

Art of War
Awards
"It was hard to determine how much data we could use during early development, since the game engine wasn’t running optimally yet."

Haha, dual layer UMD 1.8gb is not much to work with xD

Interesting read, all this final news before the international releases are getting me very excited :)
Spoiled myself?
yea.
Played the JPN version?
yea.
Hours clocked?
Over 100+
Buying the international release?
Fuck yea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back