• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► The Little Mermaid Live Action Remake

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The snippet of the song that they included in the trailer was NOT what they should have included. It was an awkward part of the song, where for the casual viewer (probably most of the dislikes) they would have needed to hear the build up to that part to appreciate it - otherwise, it sounds off and different from the original.

Honestly, if I were DISNEY, I would have shown "Under The Sea" to show off more of what the film will actually look like (the actual sea animals like Flounder and Sebastian) and also give the trailer some life with an upbeat song. They took a major risk showing off the part of the movie that will be the most scrutinized - "Part of Your World" which wasn't the best idea IMO. They should have left that to be something for people to look forward to in the film, but now it's already given people a bad taste in their mouths because of the poor choice of audio clip that they used. Oh and I would have included like a shot of Ursula - even if it was just tentacles or something.
At the end of the day, it was still a quick teaser to show off Ariel. It served its purpose as a teaser rather than it being a full on trailer.

But very clearly the youtube dislikes is because of racists rather than anything to do with the teaser content itself.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
But very clearly the youtube dislikes is because of racists rather than anything to do with the teaser content itself.
This
Other trailers like BatB, Cruella, The Lion King, etc have had positive reception to their teasers despite the general expectations of a live-action remake. Yet a mermaid sitting on a rock singing a part of a song gets tremendous outrage? It's pretty clear.

Last edited:

2 quid is good

Awards
I'm sure the racists have a lot to do with it, but honestly, I've not enjoyed any of the remakes and this doesn't seem to be any better. I know it's easy money for Disney, and that's why they do it, but it's such a waste of time and effort to me.

All the remakes just feel like lesser versions of the originals, except Jungle Book i guess because it was quite different from the film. It'd be nice if they went down that route or the Maleficent route, at least bring something new to the table, y'know?

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Her voice possesses a crystal clear innocence befitting Ariel. She's young, wide-eyed, and gorgeous. The hate against Halle is really just thinly disguised racism.

The colors in the film, from what we've seen, are a bit of a mess. So dull. But that's the remakes for you!

palizinhas

Awards
I think Disney Live Action is funny because even pre-remakes 95% of its output was awful. But now people go "they should be doing NEW Stuff instead" despite it being genuinely hard to name 5 movies outside of the PotC franchise that came from that studio.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I think Disney Live Action is funny because even pre-remakes 95% of its output was awful. But now people go "they should be doing NEW Stuff instead" despite it being genuinely hard to name 5 movies outside of the PotC franchise that came from that studio.
What do you mean?

palizinhas

Awards
What do you mean?
The studio who does the remakes, Walt Disney Pictures aka Disney Live Action. Most of its films over the years are really bad. You look up the list and chances are you forgot most of them even existed.

Even more recent stuff like A Wrinkle in Time or Jungle Cruise. It's forgettable.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
The studio who does the remakes, Walt Disney Pictures aka Disney Live Action. Most of its films over the years are really bad. You look up the list and chances are you forgot most of them even existed.

Even more recent stuff like A Wrinkle in Time or Jungle Cruise. It's forgettable.
Oh. Usually when I hear people saying they should do more original stuff I thought they meant more original animated movies?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Honestly, if I were DISNEY, I would have shown "Under The Sea" to show off more of what the film will actually look like (the actual sea animals like Flounder and Sebastian) and also give the trailer some life with an upbeat song. They took a major risk showing off the part of the movie that will be the most scrutinized - "Part of Your World" which wasn't the best idea IMO. They should have left that to be something for people to look forward to in the film, but now it's already given people a bad taste in their mouths because of the poor choice of audio clip that they used. Oh and I would have included like a shot of Ursula - even if it was just tentacles or something.
Good point about POYW being the part that was always going to be the most scrutinized moment in the film. That and her on the rock with the splash behind her.
I'm sure the racists have a lot to do with it, but honestly, I've not enjoyed any of the remakes and this doesn't seem to be any better. I know it's easy money for Disney, and that's why they do it, but it's such a waste of time and effort to me.

All the remakes just feel like lesser versions of the originals, except Jungle Book i guess because it was quite different from the film. It'd be nice if they went down that route or the Maleficent route, at least bring something new to the table, y'know?
I think the new remakes are getting heavier and heavier backlash because they're not really a new thing and they've regularly been inferior. I believe it started back with Aladdin in 2019. Even though audiences loved the film, the critics tore into it simply because they had developed an ax to grind against "remakes" in general at that point. But even audiences have got to the point they're tearing them down out the gate now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mulan remake is what caused the turn in audiences. Imagine the people who paid $29.99 to see that movie only to find the movie doesn't have the music, Mushu, Shang, etc. I think even casuals expect the worst out of these at this point.

palizinhas

Awards
Oh. Usually when I hear people saying they should do more original stuff I thought they meant more original animated movies?
But that's a different studio. Walt Disney Pictures only does live action, it has nothing to do with Walt Disney Animated Studios outside of being owned by the same company and co-producing the movies.

One does NOT affect the other

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
At the end of the day, it was still a quick teaser to show off Ariel. It served its purpose as a teaser rather than it being a full on trailer.

I don't think it's "clearly" because of racists.

Sonic The Hedgehog's trailer got major dislikes because the design sucked. Honestly, I didn't like this trailer at all and it looked like crap especially for one of - if not THE most iconic DISNEY film in their history. DISNEY would have been better off showing the logo with a snippet of one of the songs (NOT Part of Your World). If nothing was ready, they shouldn't have rushed a teaser trailer out.

I think rushing to the assumption that it's "racists" that gave it so many dislikes is an easy way for DISNEY to put out crap. I think the visuals look terrible and it's seriously lacking colour and vibrance. While DISNEY has a chance to fix that, shouldn't they take that into consideration or should they sweep that under the rug and consider it "racist" if that was my reasoning behind giving the trailer a dislike?

I don't doubt that there is a good chunk of dislikes from people hating on Halle, but to brush off any criticism of the film as simply "racism" is doing the final product a disservice.

Ultimately though, this just comes down to the live action remakes as unnecessary. If I wanted to see animals in a film, I'd watch National Geographic and not CGI'd lions and fish. The beauty of the animated films were that they took advantage of their medium IE they were colourful and had visuals that couldn't be achieved in live action and/or would look odd in live action.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I don't think it's "clearly" because of racists.

Sonic The Hedgehog's trailer got major dislikes because the design sucked. Honestly, I didn't like this trailer at all and it looked like crap especially for one of - if not THE most iconic DISNEY film in their history. DISNEY would have been better off showing the logo with a snippet of one of the songs (NOT Part of Your World). If nothing was ready, they shouldn't have rushed a teaser trailer out.

I think rushing to the assumption that it's "racists" that gave it so many dislikes is an easy way for DISNEY to put out crap. I think the visuals look terrible and it's seriously lacking colour and vibrance. While DISNEY has a chance to fix that, shouldn't they take that into consideration or should they sweep that under the rug and consider it "racist" if that was my reasoning behind giving the trailer a dislike?

I don't doubt that there is a good chunk of dislikes from people hating on Halle, but to brush off any criticism of the film as simply "racism" is doing the final product a disservice.

Ultimately though, this just comes down to the live action remakes as unnecessary. If I wanted to see animals in a film, I'd watch National Geographic and not CGI'd lions and fish. The beauty of the animated films were that they took advantage of their medium IE they were colourful and had visuals that couldn't be achieved in live action and/or would look odd in live action.

Disney remakes are all undersaturated. They're all, mostly, lacking the flair of their animated counterparts and Little Mermaid (so far) looks no worse than, say, Maleficent's initial shitty trailer or the whole of the Lion King.

You're already admitting that "a good chunk" is because of racism, so you must be cognizant of the issues here. I think you're sorely underestimating the depth of the racism this film's been dealing with.

Let me ask you a question, Face My Fears. You have valid criticisms of the trailer and an overall negative opinion of it. Did you click dislike on the video? (And if you have, was it upon watching it or did you do it recently)

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards

Look, I get it. I have a pretty lukewarm opinion on live actions. But ingrained racism is much, much more than an evil white guy making fun of everything "woke." Racism is also just the general discomfort of anything but a white person playing a lead role in media and that behavior is way more normalized in society.

Your criticisms are valid. They are the same criticisms all of the Disney Renaissance remakes share. But most of the people who hate live-action remakes don't seem to care about their teasers. Why else would the like-to-dislike ratio favor on the like side? Yet TLM gets an influx of dislikes despite being no different than other live-action remakes and constant reactions to Halle's race.

The reason why we are equating all of it to racism is because it actually is that way. Halle's race is all anyone ever talks about with the exception of a tiny minority just criticizing the remake as a whole.

EDIT: I've noticed that Pinocchio (2022) also had overwhelmingly large amounts of dislikes. I don't know much about that film, but the Blue Fairy seems to be portrayed by a black woman there, and I've seen disgustingly racist comments about her like how "awful" and "creepy" she looks.

Last edited:

Elysium

Awards
Oh, naturally racism does play a role, but I don't think it has everything to do with it, no. There was always going to be a degree of "review bombing" with this by people who've been trained to hate all things Disney by DeathSantis, by people who don't want diversity of any kind (ie, the type who use the word "woke" derisively), etc. But for a teaser that got more views than any other remake has to get quadruple the number of dislikes to likes, there's obviously a significant portion of people underneath all of that who simply thought it looked bad... *shrug*

This is all ironic to me considering I was one of the few who actually seemed to like the teaser and thought it looked better than I ever expected it would after everything that I've read about the movie... But at the same time I don't feel sorry that it got downvoted in the end since I know (unlike the casuals) about many of the stupid things they've done to this movie already that weren't shown in the teaser, like Ariel having superpowers, for example. That's just stupid.

palizinhas

Awards
Yeah, racism has so little to do with it that even reaction channels got downvoted for simply liking the teaser, what a coincidence. Come on now, y'all are being stupid. Not even Lion King trailers got this kind of bombing and the characters had no facial expressions

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
But for a teaser that got more views than any other remake has to get quadruple the number of dislikes to likes, there's obviously a significant portion of people underneath all of that who simply thought it looked bad... *shrug*
I'm pretty skeptical of that. Why does this one teaser have way more views than other live-action remakes, despite being no different?

It just seems like the views are just from people who knew she was black and just wanted to dislike it anyway.

I don't know if many other live-action teasers were featured in D23 to get this much traction so you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Elysium

Awards
Yeah, racism has so little to do with it that even reaction channels got downvoted for simply liking the teaser, what a coincidence. Come on now, y'all are being stupid. Not even Lion King trailers got this kind of bombing and the characters had no facial expressions
I think it's much more rational to say racism has a lot to do with it but not everything than claiming it's the only reason... From what I remember, the first reveal of Genie in the Aladdin remake also received a backlash because people didn't like the effects for the blue look or whatever. I remember there was a lot of controversy around Ghostbusters some years ago because the roles were genderbent, I don't remember how that translated to YouTube to compare though.

Back