• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► The Lion King - From the director who brought you The Jungle Book 2016

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Incoming cries from disgruntled 20-somethings.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-jon-favreau-the-lion-king/

We can officially confirm that The Walt Disney Studios and director Jon Favreau are putting a new reimagining of The Lion King on the fast track to production. The project follows the technologically groundbreaking smash hit The Jungle Book, directed by Favreau, which debuted in April and has earned $965.8 million worldwide.

The Lion King builds on Disney’s success of reimagining its classics for a contemporary audience with films like Maleficent, Cinderella, and The Jungle Book. The upcoming Beauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson as Belle, is already one of the most anticipated movies of 2017. Like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King will include songs from the animated film. Disney and Favreau are also in development on a sequel to The Jungle Book. No release date has been announced for either film.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Sounds great to me. I love the direction Beauty and the Beast is taking, and Favreau did a fantastic job with Jungle Book. I'm down for more of these and less of the live action villains movies for sure.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
i have faith in john that the remake will be exlent at the same time honoring the classics if he can make jungle book work that lion king can work as well

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Come on, we all knew it was only a matter of time.

So thats seven live action remakes now (Mulan, Tinker Bell, Beauty and the beast, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Cruella, and now Lion King)

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Don't forget "Night on Bald Mountain," Dumbo, the Maleficent sequel, the Aladdin prequel (Genies), James and the Giant Peach, Splash, the Oz the Great and Powerful sequel, the Jungle Book sequel, The Sword in the Stone, The Rocketeers, Winnie the Pooh, Pinocchio, the Mary Poppins sequel, etc.

Last edited:

Alpha Sonix

NOOOOOOO! Is nothing sacred anymore? Blah blah blah /s
Seriously, I have yet to see a bad live action reimagining from Disney. Maleficent and Cinderella... I liked them, The BFG... faithful and just as good as the original, The Jungle Book... amazing! I have absolute faith that Jon Favreau can pull this off as well. And with Beauty and the Beast coming, I'm cautiously anticipating great things from that as well. While I can't say I think kids would be put off by the animated versions of the past, I'm not complaining either if I get to experience my favorite movies in alternative ways either. Now bring on Mulan please!

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Wonder if some of the voice actors will return to reprise their roles? I'd love to see Jeremy Irons voicing Scar once more.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Come on, we all knew it was only a matter of time.

So thats seven live action remakes now (Mulan, Tinker Bell, Beauty and the beast, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Cruella, and now Lion King)

"Live Action" in a movie in which literally every character will be cg.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
On one hand I'm like "why" but i know why already so lets just move on. I am cautiously optimistic for this but considering how similar the jungle book is in concept... Idk. Its probably going to release on time to compete with WB's jungle book.

(Maybe it should be live-action, jeremy irons and james earl jones fighting each other in fursuits.)

Peace

Awards
(Maybe it should be live-action, jeremy irons and james earl jones fighting each other in fursuits.)

Kinda reminds me of this Tumblr post.
Facebook-83c951.png

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'll say this, the movies done so far aren't bad. I wouldn't they're great but they're not bad.

The problem I have with them, aside from Disney remaking every. Freaking. Movie they've done (and yet we'll probably never have a live action Atlantis: The Lost Empire because Disney wants to pretend one of their greatest movies ever never happened) is that...how do I put this? It's like, just how Bohemian Rhapsody is everyone's Bohemian Rhapsody, and Ghostbusters is everyone's Ghostbusters , The Lion King is everyone's Lion King.

It'd be one thing if the Disney movies that have been redone (and those that will be) have left the consciousness of society. But none of these films need any sort of revitalizing or whatnot (at least to me.)

Also I just hate remakes.

Also also, if Disney's gonna keep making "live action" remakes, then I demand Gargoyles (and Atlantis)

"Live Action" in a movie in which literally every character will be cg.
Cause apparently, if the cg is done realistically, it's considered live action.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Live action Lion King? Isn't that called Hamlet?

Okay but jokes aside, it finally fuxking happened, it's absolutely unnecessary, and the 2D animated version will always be superior, because everything about it is perfect already. But I won't actually get mad unless this movie REALLY screws up.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Why doesn't Disney just re-release the animated classic, The Lion King in theaters like they have done before? I really don't see the need for them to make this classic into CGI. I am not a fan of the CGI, since it usually comes off as awkward, especially with the facial features. I didn't really like the computer animation in the Kingdom Hearts with The Lion King.

The facial features of when Simba lost his father didn't really express fully the emotions that he was feeling after witnessing his dad's death. It was probably due to the fact that the CGI was limited.

I know it's been some years since Kingdom Hearts 2 was released, but I really can't see the Lion King in CGI.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
But it would be nowhere near what Kingdom Hearts achieved. They have access to better technology and make a more realistic world, environment, and characters.

Using the logic of "It'd look bad because of Kingdom Hearts", the Jungle Book should have looked like this:

kh.jpg

Instead we got this, where 99% of what you see is CGI:

[video=youtube;5mkm22yO-bs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mkm22yO-bs[/video]

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Wonder if they will be able to outdo the animated classic. Lot of people say that the live action JB was better than the 1967 one.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Why doesn't Disney just re-release the animated classic, The Lion King in theaters like they have done before? I really don't see the need for them to make this classic into CGI. I am not a fan of the CGI, since it usually comes off as awkward, especially with the facial features. I didn't really like the computer animation in the Kingdom Hearts with The Lion King.

The facial features of when Simba lost his father didn't really express fully the emotions that he was feeling after witnessing his dad's death. It was probably due to the fact that the CGI was limited.

I know it's been some years since Kingdom Hearts 2 was released, but I really can't see the Lion King in CGI.

???????????????????????

First off Kingdom Hearts is a video game which has no where near the same kind of tools being used to develop its visuals like a CG film.

Second, it's gonna look like The Jungle Book considering they hired Jon Favreau to direct. Not Square Enix's development team from 2005.

Did you watch The Jungle Book?

Wonder if they will be able to outdo the animated classic. Lot of people say that the live action JB was better than the 1967 one.

Well, the 1967 film was pretty vapid of any solid story besides "Mowgli needs to get to the human village because Sher Khan is gonna eat him time for some silly songs!" so it wasn't hard for the 2016 film to top it.

I doubt it will top TLK because that film was good in every way possible.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

As Spock said, original JB wasn't much to overcome, but the live action one was still great. Even if the new one is as good as it can possibly be, I find it nearly impossible for it to be able to overcome the original. The Lion King is arguably one of Disney's best movies, but I certainly think this adaptation will at least be comparable with Disney's other live action films, which I personally feel have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back