• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV ► The Lion Guard - "Let out a WILD ROAR!"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Wait... Questions. Oh so many questions.

First off, aren't the direct-to-video sequels completely non-canon save The Rescuers Down Under? This isn't going off of the Lion King 2's continuity, is it? I thought that title was completely non-canon? Does this mean that those titles will be considered Disney canon now? Cause I realllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy don't want them to be canon. Andy Dick is the worst thing to happen to a Disney movie since Buck Cluck. Gah, I just don't want this to be a continuity to a movie already proven to be non-canon!

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Wait... Questions. Oh so many questions.

First off, aren't the direct-to-video sequels completely non-canon save The Rescuers Down Under? This isn't going off of the Lion King 2's continuity, is it? I thought that title was completely non-canon? Does this mean that those titles will be considered Disney canon now? Cause I realllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy don't want them to be canon. Andy Dick is the worst thing to happen to a Disney movie since Buck Cluck. Gah, I just don't want this to be a continuity to a movie already proven to be non-canon!
I've never heard that the sequels were non-canon before.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Re: The Lion Guard

[video=youtube;X19M8Ugshlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X19M8Ugshlw[/video]

Rob Lowe...I get that Matthew Broderick is a bit of an "old man" these days but still. Or they could have got Cam Clarke. But they must have really wanted Rob Lowe.

(Fun note, Eden Riegal is Chuami, "Auron's daughter", in Final Fantasy X -Will- and her brother is Sam Riegal. AND diddly YES KHARY PAYTON)
Seeing that magic tattoo at the end. My little lion, my little lion, isn't the world a dangerous place?

This is the best flash animation I've ever seen! They did a great job making it look like traditional animation.

Not sure why Rob Lowe, but hey KHARY PAYTON!

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
It looks so ridiculous, but half of me wants to like it just because it's related to The Lion King...
But yeah, the animation looks decent, not some half-butted CG. Looks like they made some effort to make it look like its source movie. And there are gonna me sooo many MLP jokes thanks to that magical tattoo.

Awards
I dislike Kion's design, he just looks like little Simba with more hair. Kiara and Kovu from the second movie had so much distinction in their appearances. Kiara wasn't a miniature Simba/Nala and Kovu had resemblance to Scar without being a direct copy.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I dislike Kion's design, he just looks like little Simba with more hair. Kiara and Kovu from the second movie had so much distinction in their appearances. Kiara wasn't a miniature Simba/Nala and Kovu had resemblance to Scar without being a direct copy.
Was gonna agree at first but thought I should see them side by side first.
73c0d0c06411d5482ce5c927603dccd5.jpg
latest

There is some difference. Excluding the obvious color differences, Kion has thicker eyebrows than Simba and large, rectangular eyes, while Simba's eye are oval and a little smaller.
Don't care for Kion's little tuft of hair, though. Looks kinda odd.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
The animation actually looks great for television series. In some aspects reminds me of the original animation from the first movie. It's a step ahead of Timon & Pumba.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
The Lion Guard is for a new generation and demographic. Quite a lot of criticism for it is not warranted for.

Venx

Afther watching the movie I have to admit that "Tonight we strike" is a badass Song and probably the best part of the movie. I don't think.....I can talk positiv about the rest. Kiara is a freaking cheerleader with bitchy friends, I don't even.....at least the "can you feel the love tonight?" joke in the beginning was good.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Just found out about this.

I cannot get over the fact that Rob Lowe uses the same voice for Simba as he does for Dazzle Novak.

It makes it so much better, tbh.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Here is a review i have written up back in December on it...

31lBOc4CY_WQ9F8Z5gfn-4oRB68-EDcv1P_H-AnUNoWAbLVMKO_amtC3EMCIw2WJu-P4IUxZrP4QX8sgy217eyqo2ls5hWCmJNXwRdPX5sN3isEi--Sa9f5Ofyl4rQ4kq5B-7EYs

Are you ready for a nostalgic return to the pride of your youth? If you are you may be looking in the wrong place…

Description
“ Set in the African Savanna, the film follows Kion as he assembles the members of the 'Lion Guard'. Throughout the film, the diverse team of young animals will learn how to utilize each of their unique abilities to solve problems and accomplish tasks to maintain balance within the Circle of Life, while also introducing viewers to the vast array of animals that populate the prodigious African landscape.” - IMDb

What is it?
The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar is a Film / Series that follows Kion (Simba’s other cub) as he gathers up a group of misfits to become the lion guard (supposed to be a group of Lions to protect the integrity of the Circle of Life). Kion ends up choosing his friends (Cheetah, Hippo, Badger, and some sort of bird) to be a the new guard.

What’s Hot:
Some aspects of the film / series are nostalgic
James Earl Jones reprises his role as Mufasa
There appears to be a deeper message behind each adventure.

What’s Not:
Animation Style is almost in contrast to the original film (aimed at younger audience)
Completely new voice cast takes some getting used to...
Had issues finding HD Version
Lacks the African influence that made the original great.

Story: 3.5
After seeing the film I’m still not sure how I feel about the story. It seems to follow the original storyline of the first 2 movies for the most part while adding its own elements to make this new movie / series relevant. As the series moves forward it would be interesting to see if they will follow the story of Lion King II Simba’s Pride, being that it should run parallel.

Visuals: 3.5
Honestly I’m not a huge fan of the new art style of this film / series. It deviates away from the beautiful animation used in the original film to a more kidsy style found in more recent disney animated TV series. I guess it would be a tad much to expect feature film like animation from a startup kids TV Series. In the end it’s not bad, just not great either.

Audio / Sound: 3
Being that the original was my all time favorite animated film it’s a bit of a culture shock to hear the characters with new voices. It isn’t that bad once you accept it for what it is. At least you get James Earl Jones… On the music side of things I’m not really a fan. It’s a tad hard to stomach when you are expecting work from Tim Rice, Elton John, Tom Snow, and Hans Zimmer, but you get, well… not them.

Replay: 3
While my niece is already watched this about 5 times since December 24th (today is the 28th) I am not likely to watch it again anytime soon.

Around the Web: 3.7
Via Rotten Tomatoes & IMDb

Score
16.7 / 25

UKeiayReisAiJqadD3asTuziBXs_fHFFPDi8EUjzkBOlVhzBBsVPqmNES7kqNGkdV-zBDxOzQPd3U_icYtNn-WitKCUp7npANDsyA-JxaW0CBGSzcVtJp7YZQ_R6wvv0Nc8WJfnB

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Well, considering that your niece watched it 5 times speaks for itself. That means that its doing exactly what it should: appealing to the younger audience.

Venx

I don't really like the story, because Kion's roar is nothing but wind and that Scar was once a powerful lion, ruins the character of this sneaky evil villain for me. I liked Scar, because he was so weak and his strongest weapon was manipulating others.

Episode 1 was better than the movie, but Bunga ruined it once again with fartjokes for 50% of the whole episode. Crocodile fight was sick, tho.

Episode 2 is so far the best. Everyone was well written, no one was annyoing (not even Bunga) and the song was really nice. I really hope they put out more episodes like this.

Episode 3 ruinied it again with Bunga. I really like the new characters, except for Bunga or Kiara and her bitchclique, but they need to make more episodes like 2, to have a really good show. The potencial is there.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Well, considering that your niece watched it 5 times speaks for itself. That means that its doing exactly what it should: appealing to the younger audience.

I have to agree there. The series isn't as bad as my original impressions made it seem. Overall all this is way more stomach-able than the other Sleepers that Disney has produced.

Though I don't always agree with what Disney does when it comes to their IPs, they usually find a way to make them work for their benefit.

I don't really like the story, because Kion's roar is nothing but wind and that Scar was once a powerful lion, ruins the character of this sneaky evil villain for me. I liked Scar, because he was so weak and his strongest weapon was manipulating others.

Episode 1 was better than the movie, but Bunga ruined it once again with fartjokes for 50% of the whole episode. Crocodile fight was sick, tho.

Episode 2 is so far the best. Everyone was well written, no one was annyoing (not even Bunga) and the song was really nice. I really hope they put out more episodes like this.

Episode 3 ruinied it again with Bunga. I really like the new characters, except for Bunga or Kiara and her bitchclique, but they need to make more episodes like 2, to have a really good show. The potencial is there.

I seen the Episode with the with the Hyena the other day and it wasn't that bad...

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I think it is quite time the adults stop critiquing a small children's' cartoon on the merits that it doesn't appeal to them.

THANK YOU

Now, I'm all welcoming for contrasting opinions, however, these comparisons seem to be targeting at nostalgia. People, this is produced by DisneyToon: naturally their budget isn't as grand as Disney Animation, therefore, they have to compromise with a more convenient animation style. this is a program on Disney Junior and not ABC, so, there's also the consideration of a new generation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back