• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► The Great Babysitting Adventure

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
The Great Babysitting Adventure (Complete)

My first attempt at a multi-chapter story that actually follows a plot, so to speak. :3 Set in Radiant Gardens, before it fell apart, a little after the events of Birth By Sleep. Critique or criticism is welcome, since I'm trying to get better. :D
The sun shone brightly on Radiant Gardens, and a gentle breeze blew through the flowers. It was still early, so the town remained as peaceful and quiet as ever. That's not to say little disturbances didn't happen from time to time, however.

Kairi hastily straightened her bed sheets once she finished cleaning up her room. After she had considered her bed nice and neat enough, she glanced around the room to reassure herself that her grandmother wasn't looking. Seeing as her grandmother's attention was directed elsewhere, she decided to put a few toys under her bed. There was no time to put them back in the toy box yet, and she was going to play with them soon, anyway.

Kairi heard her grandma cough purposefully, meaning she'd been caught in the act. "I'll put them away after the I show the baby sitter, though, Grandma!" she pleaded, tugging her grandma's apron. "I just really really wanna show them those because they're my favorite and I want to show them!" The five-year-old was practically jumping with excitement as she continued to cutely beg with big eyes and a pouting lip. "Please, Grandma?"

Her grandmother didn't have time to tell her otherwise; her babysitters were supposed to arrive soon. She laughed amicably and said, "Well, I can see you're excited, Kairi."

Kairi nodded happily. This was her first time with a babysitter. She grinned as she looked around the house and saw how clean she had made it. Her new babysitter was sure to be impressed!

There was something missing, though. Kairi crossed her arms and tilted her head as she tried to figure it out. Something she needed to add to the living room, so the babysitter would be sure to see it.

"That's it!" Kairi ran back into her room and returned with a clay vase she made herself and a few of the hand-picked flowers she was given by Aerith. The vase was misshapen and the flowers were a bit withered by now, but Kairi still loved them both. She'd put a lot of effort into making the vase as a gift for her grandmother, after all, and the flowers were a gift from Aerith, even though Kairi didn't have any munny to give her at the time.

She set them on the coffee table proudly. "It's perfect! Right, Grandma?" she asked, looking to her grandmother for approval.

"Yes, they're lovely." Her grandmother smiled at the little girl and nodded. She was so energetic, always happy, bouncing around. Her granddaughter always thought she was mature for her age, too. She was starting to worry that the babysitter- who was late, she suddenly noticed- wouldn't be able to take care of her very easily...

The door bell rang, and Kairi happily ran to the door yelling, “I'll get it!” She had to stretch her hand up to reach the door knob. Her grandmother hadn't had the chance to get to the door before her eager granddaughter managed to tug it open. Kairi smiled as she opened the door and greeted her babysitter... Wait, two? She had two babysitters! She hopped giddily as she introduced herself. "Hi! I'm Kairi!"

A boy with spiky, bright red hair and bright green eyes bent down and ruffled the young girl's hair. "Hey, Kairi. The name's Lea. Got it memorized?" he asked playfully, a grin spread on his face. The boy beside him with odd blue hair rolled his eyes at the remark, trying to hide a humored grin. He muttered something Kairi couldn't quick catch, but Lea certainly could, and, in response, lightly slugged the other boy's arm.

Kairi made a pensive expression and chanted, "Lea, Lea, Lea," to make certain she had it memorized, as he had put it.

"So I can trust you to watch Kairi for the evening?" She looked especially at Lea as she said this, for he seemed to be the more wild of the two boys. A child watching a child never turned out well, but since Aerith and Tifa both had plans, she was stuck with these two, it seemed. "I have to step out for a few hours and I can't take her with me." Kairi's grandmother asked, looking at both of the boys carefully. Kairi continued to chant Lea in the background as she watched her grandmother scrutinize the two boys. "You're awfully young yourself."

Lea smiled. "Don't worry, I'm great with kids!" he bragged.

"Because you are one." His blue haired friend pushed Lea aside and turned to Kairi's grandmother, adding, in a more mature tone, "Don't worry. I'll make sure everything goes smoothly. Please excuse my friend, he's not very bright. Isa, at your service."

Lea was about to object, but Isa elbowed him lightly to keep him quiet.

"She can be a bit of a handful, though..." the grandmother warned. Kairi stopped chanting and pouted at the remark. She was very good, in her opinion.

"Nothing we can't handle!" Lea said, pushing Isa out of the way. "Trust me, I can take anything she throws at me!" He tried to make himself look bigger and stronger, but Isa and Kairi both chuckled at the attempt, while the grandmother frowned.

Isa sighed and shook his head. "We've got it under control. We won't fail you."

"I don't know..." the grandmother said, beginning to reconsider her decision.

Lea and Isa exchanged worried glances. They needed the money for this.

"Grandma, can I come with you, then?" Kairi asked. She wasn't even sure where her grandma was going, but she said Kairi absolutely could not come along with her. It made her really curious, actually. Maybe now she could go, if she wasn't allowed to stay with the babysitters.

"...Be good for them, Kairi," the grandmother decided. She really couldn't take Kairi along this time. She would if she could have. She wrapped her arms around Kairi and pulled her into a loving hug.

"I will, grandma! I promise!" Kairi said, giggling. She'd changed her mind really fast.

Kairi waved as her grandmother walked to wherever she had to go. "Bye, Grandma!"

As soon as she was no longer in sight, Kairi turned and curiously stared at the arguing teenagers.

"What kind of friend are you?!" Lea asked angrily.

"The kind that remembers why we need this munny to begin with," Isa shot back, glaring at him. "It was your fault in the first place, was it not?"

Lea recoiled and chuckled. Did Isa have to remind him again? "Oh yeah, that! Ehehe..."

"What?" Kairi looked up at the two boys in confusion.

Lea turned to look at her, just remembering she was there, while Isa sighed in exasperation. They couldn't explain something like this to a child.

"What's that?" she asked again, putting the same emphasis on the word they had, hoping it would get her an answer.

"Oh, that!" Lea said, chuckling a little. "Uh, you see, I-" Lea started, but Isa covered his mouth.

"It's nothing," he lied quickly.

"But you guys were talking about a that..." Kairi persisted, crossing her arms in frustration.

Lea pushed Isa's hand off of him and smiled down at Kairi. "Forget that, let's have some fun!"

"Right... what do you do for fun, anyway?" Isa asked. He'd never been too great with children, so he might have to follow Lea's lead this time...

Kairi glared, puffing her cheeks out. She didn't want to just back down that easily, after all. They were the ones that mentioned it, and she wanted to know, too! "But that!"

"There are toys somewhere around here for you to play with, aren't there?" Isa asked, annoyed of this already.

Kairi sighed but decided to let it go, for now at least. She took Lea's hand and tugged him towards her "Okay! Come on, I have really fun toys over here!" She pulled him back to her room, and Isa followed behind.

When they reached her room, though, Kairi closed the door behind Lea. "You can't come in, Isa!" she yelled. "Until you tell me that!" Kairi wasn't just giving up on that, yet.

As Kairi held the door closed, though, Isa pushed forward, with far more force than she could muster. "No!" she whined as she was pushed backward. "No Isas allowed!" Kairi pushed forward with all her might, but it only served to slow him down.

Lea laughed. "Just let her cool down, Isa. Unless you want the whole day to be like this between you two."

Isa sighed and slowly eased back on the door so Kairi wouldn't hurt herself. "...I guess I'll make snacks or something?" He said through gritted teeth.

"Snacks, snacks!" Kairi cheered.

"Yeah!" Lea joined in and cheered, "Snacks, snacks," as well, just to further irritate Isa.

"We'll talk about this later, Lea," Isa called before walking back up the hallway, towards the kitchen. He plopped in a chair and took a deep breath. This wouldn't be as easy a job as he thought it would be, but this was nothing he and Lea couldn't handle. Even if this little girl was being difficult and Lea seemed to be encouraging that. They just had to make sure nothing bad happened with her, after all. She didn't have to get along with him for that. Just an afternoon with this brat, and it'd be over.

"So, Lea, Lea!" Kairi cheered. "These are the toys I wanted to show you!"

Lea leaned against a wall and watched as Kairi groped around under her bed for something. He'd been against this whole thing, but this was going to be easy. And maybe even a little entertaining.

*Next chapter*

Last edited:
Awards
i like it!i love little kairi, and lea and isa just add to the mix of comedy!XD cant wait to see more!
Thank you very much, Luna~ I wasn't sure how I did for characterization, since they all got somewhat different when they grew older, but I'm happy you liked it! I'm working on the next chapter now!

Awards
Mega this is so freaking cute.I'm so proud of you. I really want this to go on.
th_uberexcitement.png
L-Lan! You read my work! Thankyouthankyouthankyou so so much! I'll try and finish chapter 2 sometime soon, then!

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
Oh wow is that what I'm like with Mina-chan? Okay Mega just have fun and enjoy what you write.

Gram

Banned
Awards
lol kairi's adorable, great job on this o3o i like it.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Great job on this Mega. I can't wait to see what kind of stuff these three get into.

Dawn Rebirth

Can you say vacay on Radiant Isle, and I'm growing
Well, well nice to finally see you join-up, Mazy B)

I laughed at "They needed the money for this..." I wasn't sure why they were there until that xD

Kairi's a bit of brat here for a girl with a heart of pure light, but I'm an only child who doesn't spend much time with kids, so *shrugs*

Regardless, I like how you started things, and I'll gladly take the bait. Remember, "haste makes waste" , but if you have the idea planned-out, the time, and the motivation don't take too long. Moderations ^_^ *Gives okay sign*

Awards
Well, well nice to finally see you join-up, Mazy B)
:D Yay~ Happy to join-up then~<3

I laughed at "They needed the money for this..." I wasn't sure why they were there until that xD
xD Thanks, I had to give them some reason to take the job. They didn't seem like the type to do it just because.
Kairi's a bit of brat here for a girl with a heart of pure light, but I'm an only child who doesn't spend much time with kids, so *shrugs*
Kairi's characterization here is something I'm iffy about. :d But she did seem quite energetic as a child, and children tend to be blunt about their feelings. I took a look at KH1 Kairi and BBS Kairi, and tried to figure out how she'd be as a child. I don't know how well I ended up doing, but she's not intentionally bratty here- just energetic. I think that's how little kids behave, kind of.
Regardless, I like how you started things, and I'll gladly take the bait. Remember, "haste makes waste" , but if you have the idea planned-out, the time, and the motivation don't take too long. Moderations ^_^ *Gives okay sign*

:D I do have quite a bit of it planned~

Kiwi +

Push Ethan Page!
Awards
Oh, a fanfic now? Haha, is there like nothing you can't do Mega? ~:D

Well, anyways. I was in a mood to start reading a new fic, so I decided to start on yours! It's a good start, I think. Plus it has Kairi, and you know how I love myself some Kairi! <3333

I'll continue to watch where you go from here. Can't wait for the next. ^^

Awards
Oh, a fanfic now? Haha, is there like nothing you can't do Mega? ~:D

Well, anyways. I was in a mood to start reading a new fic, so I decided to start on yours! It's a good start, I think. Plus it has Kairi, and you know how I love myself some Kairi! <3333

I'll continue to watch where you go from here. Can't wait for the next. ^^

I just realized I haven't responded to your message yet... Gimme just a sec~

Thank you! I'm not sure how I'll do with this, but I'm happy to try it out now. :D I have a lot of fun ideas for it, I just have to figure but how to work them all in....

this is pretty cute little sis... very well done.
Onii-sama, you read it!! :D Thank you~

Kiwi +

Push Ethan Page!
Awards

I just realized I haven't responded to your message yet... Gimme just a sec~

Thank you! I'm not sure how I'll do with this, but I'm happy to try it out now. :D I have a lot of fun ideas for it, I just have to figure but how to work them all in....
Oh? Not a problem. Do it whenever.

Well, everyone has to start somewhere, right? You can only do better, and I hope you have fun with it. ^^
The experience comes slowly after all.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Its great Mega girl! I never expected Isa an Lea to show up. Was expecting Aerith to babysit Kairi, but this makes things far more interesting with Lea and Isa. I look forward to your next post.

Awards
Its great Mega girl! I never expected Isa an Lea to show up. Was expecting Aerith to babysit Kairi, but this makes things far more interesting with Lea and Isa. I look forward to your next post.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, KK! :D
Hehe, but Aerith's the obvious example~ Having two guys who know much less about what they're doing has more possibilities, no? *v*

Awards
@Lan: Sorry, that'd be next to impossible to work in with what I have planned, but I'll try and get close, maybe?
Anyways, onto chapter two! Chapter three should have some action and start the actual "plot" I'm going for.

Isa looked through the cabinets for a juice box. Little girls liked those, right? Or would she want a carrot or something instead? No, they liked sweet things, didn't they? So should he try to find a cupcake or something? Where did they put those here? Isa tried to find a note or something- there had to be something explaining what to do for their meals, right? The grandmother hadn't left one, though, and Isa had no idea what to get the young girl. He didn't need her throwing it back at him, after all, so it had to be something she didn't hate at least...

Bemused, Isa decided to give up on the issue for now. While he looked for a snack, he spotted his favorite fruit: a banana. Smiling, he figured that he at least should grab something to eat first; maybe it would even help him think.

As he peeled the banana, he silently admitted to himself that Lea might have been right; this job wasn't as easy as Isa had planned. Lea's reluctance to take the job had been due to laziness, but now Lea was handling it better than Isa. How was he going to live this down? Grimacing at the mere thought, he bit into his snack, hoping Lea was too preoccupied to think about ways to hold this over Isa.

Lea leaned against the wall and watched as Kairi dug around under her bed. The energetic child pulled out a story book and proudly showed it to Lea. "Grandma wrote this, and I drew all the pictures inside!" she bragged happily, opening it up and fanning through the pages to show Lea, who was barely paying attention.

"Oh, nice ones, yeah," Lea said, nodding. The pictures were what he'd expect from someone Kairi's age, from what he could see of them. There were bright colors, scribbling outside the lines, a smiling face on the sun, etc.

"Right?" Kairi agreed, paying too much attention to the book itself to notice Lea's lack of interest. "Grandma says my pictures are all so pretty, I could be a artist someday!" Kairi smiled bashfully and put her book back on the floor. "I don't know if I want to be one, though. I don't know what I want to be. Maybe a..." Kairi paused for a moment and glanced back under her bed before turning her full attention to Lea. "Lea, Lea!"

"Hm?" Lea tilted his head, watching as Kairi hopped excitedly once again. Did this girl ever run out of energy?

"What are you going to be when you grow up?" Kairi asked, trying to imagine him as everything she could think of. "A firefighter, a baker, a prince, a ninja, a police officer, a scientist?" Kairi giggled when she imagined Lea in a lab coat. "No, not a scientist..."

"What?" Lea said, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow inquisitively, both offended by the implication and curious as to what she meant by that. "Why are you so sure I can't be a scientist? Doesn't seem very hard to me. That windbag Even can do it, so it can't be too hard."

Kairi shook her head, still giggling at him. "No, you'd be a weird scientist," she said bluntly.

"Oh, really?" Lea huffed. "And I'm sure you just want to be a princess, right? That's what all little girls want to be? Well, you'd be a weird one, for sure."

Kairi stopped giggling and glared up at him. "Nu-uh!" she protested, "I'm already a Princess! Grandma says so!"

Lea laughed. "Trust me, if I'm a weird scientist, you're an even weirder princess!"

Kairi crossed her arms and shook her head. "Am not! I'm a very good princess! But you know what I'll be when I grow up?" Kairi knelt down and reached under her bed until she felt her fingers brush against something wooden: the toy sword she'd finally convinced Cloud to let her have.

Lea laughed even harder as he watched Kairi pull out her beat up wooden sword and try to look menacing. "I'm going to be a knight when I grow up!" she proclaimed proudly.

"Stop laughing! I'm really, really strong!" Kairi swung the sword erratically with as much force as she could muster. "Really!" Kairi added for extra emphasis.

"Really?" Lea asked as he finally stopped laughing. "I'm sure you are, Princess. But you want to see some real weapons?" He smirked and pulled out two frisbees from seemingly nowhere, each with a flame design and smiling face with razor sharp teeth in the center of the flame. "Tada! Pretty cool, right?"

"Whoa!" Kairi stared at them in rapt wonder, practically hypnotized by their faces. "They're so cute!"

Lea grinned haughtily, spinning them in his hands."Haha, yeah, they're pretty- cute? No, these are not cute, they're awesome and cool!"

Kairi finally snapped out of her daze and smiled up at Lea. "I-I have something awesome and cute, too!" she cheered. She set down her sword and got on her knees to once again paw under her bed. This last toy had managed to go farther underneath it than she had intended, so it took longer to get than the sword and the book had.

Finally, Kairi pulled out doll from under the bed. It had long, blonde hair made of yarn that went over her left shoulder, a white dress, off-white angel wings, closed eyes, and a gentle smile . She smiled and hugged it close to her. "My grandma made this for me," Kairi said, a little more softly than she usually spoke. She held the doll up to give Lea a better look at her. "It's really pretty and really soft. You can hold her, too. Her name is Nana."

Lea tilted his head as he stared at the doll, wondering if she was really going to make him play with it. Lea really hoped she didn't pull out a tea set, too, any time soon.

"Lea!" Kairi chided, holding Nana higher and pouting in frustration. "Don't you wanna hold her?"

Lea considered saying "no", but it was pretty clear that Kairi didn't want to take that for an answer here; he might as well just play along for now. Lea sighed and took Nana tentatively in his hands, holding it at arms length. "Hi, Nana..." he said, a little awkwardly, dusting some of the dirt from her dress. He was glad Isa wasn't in here, because he would never let Lea live this down.

"No," Kairi scolded, trying to sound mature. "You have to hold her like this." Kairi pretended that she was cradling the doll in her arms. "Because she's a baby. It makes her happy to be rocked, too, just like this." Kairi rocked her arms side to side and hummed a gentle melody, as if she was caring for a baby.

Lea stared from the doll to Kairi a few times before tossing the doll back to Kairi. "Yeah, I think I'll pass," he said with disinterest. He wasn't about to cradle a doll in his arms. "Any other games you have in mind? Actual games?"

Kairi rushed to catch Nana before she hit the ground, and almost dropped the doll as she caught it. "Why would you throw her?" Kairi scolded, still trying to sound grown-up. "You might have hurt her! What kind of mommy are you?"

Lea scoffed and rested his arms behind his head. "It's just a do..." he started, but suddenly he realized exactly what Kairi had accused him of being. "Wait, I'm the mommy?" Either this girl had trouble telling girl's from boys, or... Lea wasn't sure what else it could be, actually. He played with the spikes in his hair, wondering if they were somehow "girly".

Kairi giggled at Lea's reaction. "I know boys are supposed to be the daddies, but I'm always the mommy. I want to be the daddy this time. I never get to be. And you said you want to play a game." Kairi smiled and hugged her doll close again. "The game is pretend. I'm pretending to be the daddy, and you're pretending to be the mommy. And Nana is pretending to be our daughter!" Kairi held the doll up to Lea again and gaily added, "Now apologize to your daughter!"

"She's a doll!" Lea protested adamantly. "I am not saying sorry to a doll!"

Kairi continued to stare daggers at him, but after a minute or two, Kairi relaxed and set Nana on the bed. "Okay, we'll play Princess, instead," she said, still a little upset.

"I am not about to be the Princess!"

"Of course not." Kairi smiled as she explained the terms. "Nana is the pretty princess. You are the dragon that won't let her go. And I," Kairi picked back up her sword and pointed it towards Lea. "am the knight that has to beat you!"

Smirking playfully, Lea held up his frisbees. "This, I can do."

Isa stretched briefly, finally deciding to head back to the others. Juice boxes should work fine after all, he decided. A smile spread across his face. After calming down and having some peace and quiet, he'd tried to look at this a little differently; maybe this wouldn't be so bad. He'd never been very good with children, but maybe that was just a bad first impression on both of their parts. It was a long shot, but it wasn't impossible. And he couldn't survive this if she kept this up, so even if he didn't really care what the brat thought of him, it was better that this end without her complaining to her grandmother.

He took a juice box in each of his hands and headed back towards her bedroom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back