• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Fighting Game Thread: #scrubcentral 2.0

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
It's come to my attention that for some ungodly reason we have three different threads for Capcom fighting games. As much as each game is sufficiently deep enough to warrant it's own dedicated discussion space, given KHI's small size it's sorta unnecessary. So as a means of consolidating discussion and having a better OP with better resources, we have this shiny new thread~

Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition: (Old Thread)

A pretty good place to start (provided you play a shoto and don't play a whole lot of fighting games in general) is The Cross Counter Guide to Ryu featuring Air. The video is pretty damn long and primarily pertains to Ryu's context, but as far as exploring and explaining the facets of the Street Fighter 4, it's pretty good.

A nice man named Ugonna Leonard has an index of character tutorials on this site. Obviously a very good resource for finding tutorials by character. For those with little experience with some of the new characters reintroduced in Super, Option-Select's YouTube account has a few videos on more niche characters like Makoto and Adon to help you get started. (They're also included in the tutorials index)

As far as matchvideos are concerned, there are a variety of great YouTube channels including but not limited to:

These four are some of the biggest streaming giants in the business, and as such they have videos from a variety of different majors including NorCal Regionals, UFGT, RevLAtions, etc. Evolution matchvids can be found at their own YouTube channel.

But of course, these channels particularly pertain to events and players in the west. (although there are certain exceptions) For Japanese play, the following channels are very good resources:

• 0ShinAkuma0 (stopped uploading this June but there is plenty of AE stuff)
  • Ov3rheadGreg (primarily uploads Japanese ranked matches)
  • SMOAI2010 (nico/Topanga streams, occasional MvC3 resources as well)
  • a-cho (has a shitload of ranbat videos for not just SF4 but even shit like Melty Blood and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core)
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition: (Old Thread)

Given the fact that 3soe has just come out and new player tutorial videos aren't going to come out for a while, some excellent YouTube channels worth mentioning are:

• The Shend (holy shit, this guy is amazing. he has like the biggest library of 3s videos on the entire internet probably; FFA, GameVersus ranbats, this guy has it all)
  • Denjin Arcade (YouTube channel of the now closed Denjin Arcade, has plenty of matchvids showcasing some of America's top 3s players)
  • C-Royd's YouTube (C-Royd is a Canadian 3s player who has several tutorial videos about various gameplay elements like Super utility and universal overheads; recommended if you're serious about 3s)
  • AskDrSubZero and AskDrSubZeroFan111's channels (Ask Dr. Sub-Zero is this oldass 3s podcast by a bunch of players from Southern California; the latter being the original older podcast and the former being it's latest incarnation)
Marvel vs Capcom 3: (Old Thread)
lmh special mmh special otg special mmh special otg assist super

reserved

Blazblue Continuum Shift II:

i don't know dick about this game (ggac is better btw)

The King of Fighters XIII:

Easily da best fighting game out right now; IPW and Finest KO probably at the vanguard of XIII streams (STA Ranbats, Ramnation), but other guys like STL Bar Warz and Quick Max are gr8 too. Also http://www.twitch.tv/neomaxicoNEOMAXICO~ but all we stream these days is bad '98 and 2k.

INDEX DE JUGADORES:

KHI Username | Location | XBL | PSN | GGPO | Games
KNightof5orrow|WV (USA)|n/a|xDirgex26|n/a|SSF4AE, MvC3, 3sOE
kupo1121|NJ (USA)|n/a|Overdrive1121|n/a|SSF4, MvC3,3sOE, T6
Pinwheel|IL (USA)|n/a|ShocktheLightinin|n/a|SSF4AE, MvC3
Nevermore|OH (USA)|n/a|kazukifafner|n/a|SSF4AE, MvC3, BBCS2, 3sOE, AH3, HDR, MvC2
RTP49|AZ (USA)|n/a|RTPFOURNINE|RTP!|SSF4AE, MvC3, MOTW, VP
sora4sky|Greece|n/a|Luffy_4|n/a|n/a|SSF4AE, MvC3
Toilet Crusher|ON (CA)|n/a|iFlex|bttp9999|SSF4AE, MvC3, 3sOE, AH3, MOTW
Wastewander|CA (USA)|n/a|Zenkure|n/a|SSF4AE, MvC3, MK9
Reply with your information in that format and we'll add you to the list~

misc shit:

90's Capcom Arcade Panel Notation Translation Guide:

Official | Capcom Panel
LP|Jab
MP|Strong
HP|Fierce
LK|Short
MK|Forward
HK|Roundhouse
crouching|low

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Wouldn't mind a section in this thread for who plays what games, and PSN/Live names and stuff. Sounds like it could be useful for future reference.

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
I had the idea of having days where we would just hop onto PSN/XBL for (insert game here) and through Skype or so basically just have training sessions and help each-other out, but I haven't been able to get to that due to school and being on an immensely bad wireless connection. In the past few years that SF4 has been out, I've only gotten games in with KHI users on very few occasions. (But even then this was back when none of us had any reactions and even Hokage/TWG TostitoSalsa would do silly things like random EX Messiah)

I'm all for having an index of online handles, just post them in this thread in this fashion and I'll make a nice table for the OP:

KHI Username:
XBL:
GGPO:

So for me, it'd look something like this:

KHI Username: RTP49
PSN: RTPFOURNINE
XBL: n/a
GGPO: RTP!

When we get enough people we'll try having training sessions. Location really helps; Ken lags like a mofo and you'd really wouldn't want to play him if you're on the West Coast like I am.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
KHI Username: Pinwheel
Location: West Illinois (for my good connection. not my actual location. might be a good idea not to be too specific for security reasons?)
PSN: ShocktheLightnin
GGPO:
(drawing a blank on what the hell this is)I RARELY play SSF4AE. I play Yun when I do though. I play loads of MVC3, though I wouldn't say I'm the very good really. I use a pretty decent Dante, mediocre Taskmaster, and a variant of awful Wesker and VERY Awful Super Skrull. So Dante/Task/SuperSkrull for that.

Probably gonna get Third Strike Online, I'm still debating. Gonna end up buying it while forking over my money sadly, with most of my funds on my PSN. Sooo, yeah.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
(drawing a blank on what the hell this is)

Basically a free, emulator-based service that lets PC users fight against each other in older Capcom/SNK fighting games (and 3S).

KHI Username: Nevermore
PSN: kazukifafner
XBL: N/A
GGPO: N/A (tried it once; community was pretty damn impatient with scrubs, or at least me)

I can typically get decent connections with most people from America. The only time I've found it sketchy was when my opponent was on the WC. Then again, I'm so used to lag it probably doesn't matter `3`

Games that I have available for me to play:

SSFIVAE (Yang; I'm probably upper-beginner at best)
MvC3 (I don't actually play it that much since MvC fundamentals kinda go over my head, lol)
BBCS2 (Hazama; definitely my best game, intermediate level and a tad bit higher when I'm in the zone)
SFIIITSOE (Ryu/Dudley; I don't like Yang as much as I used to in 3S, and I've been having a lot of fun today practicing with Ryu/Dudley)
AH3 (Zenia[Metal/Flower]; I'm so bad at this game, I pretty much just mash)
SSFIITHDR (Fei Long, I guess; haven't played in forever and I suck at it)
MvC2 (Like MvC3, only worse)

Oh, I also have Battle Fantasia, but it's Battle Fantasia, so *shrug*

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
KHI Username: Wastewander
PSN: Zenkure
XBL: N/A
GGPO: N/A

Pretty much have:

SSFIVAE - Been maining Adon since the release of the Super version. Out of all the fighting games that I own, this is probably the one that I'm best at. Make no mistake though, I'm not that good.
MvC3 - Yeeeaaah, I rarely play this.
Mortal Kombat - Due to the horrible online, I don't play this all that much. I do, however, main Kitana and only made one combo with her. So I'm alright, I guess.
Soul Calibur IV - lol

I've yet to get 3rd Strike and I never got into BlazBlue.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Just played a few online scrub matches in 3S.

You know, despite the fact that I'm still really bad at this game, I'm already enjoying it a lot more than SFIV.

Got to get used to GGPO's method of overcoming lag though, lol

EDIT: Here's a video of my super scrubby Ryu playing an even scrubbier Ken that I uploaded in order to test out the uploading feature.

[VIDEO=YOUTUBE;ue69OAOBikc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue69OAOBikc[/VIDEO]

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
why no denjinn?????

the only reason i'm really holding off on 3soe immediately is because i already have anniversary collection 3s and ggpo already exists. when ken gets it i'm just gonna force him to gameshare that shit until i feel like buying it with like scholarship money or something

my friend tells me battle fantasia is legit but she plays like a new poverty fighter every other week and well.. nobody plays that shit lmao

hopefully i can go to the local arcade tonight and get some games in, tournament friday and i need all the experience i can get. (seeing as playing online is never an option for me) walk up low forward get raped in the ass yeahhhhh i'm down

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
i will probably get 3sOE next month or someshit. i got no monies this month, it's really gay.

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
YANG
-Target Combo 2 130 damage, -7 on second attack
-st.LK start-up to 5F, but has the original start up during Sei'ei Enbu
-cr.LK from 30 damage to 20, upward extended hurtbox
-cr.MP from 80 to 70 damage, 60 during Sei'ei Enbu
-(Far) st.MP hitbox pushed backwards, thus has shorter range
-diagonal j.MK hitbox changed, landing cross-ups is not as easier as before
-Raigekishu (dive kick): all versions have an addition hurtbox rectangle when activated, 2F extra landing recovery; stun from 100 to 50
-Senkyutai (roll kick): up until 5F, HK no longer has projectile-invincibility, MK has no projectile-invincibility at all
-All versions of Senkyutai (including EX) have about half size horizontal hitbox, all are 4F worse on guard
-EX Zenpou Tenshin has less reach, loses throw invincibility from the 8F onward
-Tourou Zan (mantis slashes): final hit of LP, MP, HP damage to 60; EX version now a true blockstring for all hits
-Byakko Soshoda (palm): MP, HP meter gain on whiff from 20 to 10, two extra frames to LP, MP, HP
-HP damage from 150 to 140, chip to 30, stun from 250 to 200; MP, HP have 4 less active frames
-Sei'ei Enbu is a second shorter, does less damage from chip
-Raishin Mahaken (UC1) from 480 to 450 at full UC meter
-Tenshin Senkyutai (UC2) is 3F slower, from 440 to 410 at full UC meter; the last hit of the non-cinematic version does 90 ddamage
i want to die

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
oooo~~

umm, it's ok yang, i'll still main you

could have at least extended the vertical range of senkyutai, at least give him that :(

Realm Walker

Re: The Fighting Game Threat: #scrubcentral 2.0

I have a question, what does "scrub" mean in fighting games?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

Exact connotation varies depending on the speaker and the context. However, as it stands, its primary use is simply to denote players new to/inexperienced in fighting games.

Basically, the fighting game's equivalent of a noob or newbie.

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards

ggs to everyone playing sf4 today; just some match comments:

ken: good chun pressure but then when you started playing abel it got weird; did they nerf tornado throw's range in ae or something? also tornado throw > zenpou tenshin, i need to remember this

ric: just fuckin dudes up with the shakehands no problems here

can't juri divekick forever though; it's recovery is way too stupid to be able to get away with it

good adon shit though, that's how he's supposed to be played although with more emphasis on normals

knight: never go for the raw fierce shoryu unless you're punishing someone on recovery or if you're cancelling into it from a normal; shoryu on wakeup is generally frowned upon so i would suggest doing that less as well. i dunno if your anti-air normals are deliberate, but i was seeing some st. fierce and even cr. roundhouse as an anti-crossup normal, (i dunno if the latter of which was just mashing, but i'll give the benefit of the doubt) which is always good. reaction light shoryu as anti-air is risky if your reactions aren't on point, so if otherwise go for normals instead like cr. fierce

i know that you like guren since some people don't always block the last hit because they don't think it's an overhead, but in all honesty it's not a very good "hail mary" sort of move; nor is it the kind of thing you would want to activate from full-screen and hope they get fucked up by it. you also have this weird tendency to ultra as soon as you have the meter for it - which caught me off guard - but as soon as people catch onto it, people are going to be very quick to punish that. there are a lot of setups for guren that exist out there (low short fireball fadc guren, etc), but i'll leave that for you to look into if you still want to use it as your "go-to" ultra

sora4sky

~(x)~Sword Art Online~(x)~

I wanted to play with some people from KHInsider but i am SUPER scrub. I started playing SSF4 last April and it's my first fighting game since Tekken 3? :/

So yeah don't expect anything from me.

KHInsider: sora4sky
Location: Greece <---i have the best possible connection but i can see having problem here even though when i played with 5orrow, i didn't have any lag on MvC3
PSN: Luffy_4
XBL:N/A
GGPO:N/A

Games that i own:

SSF4:AE --->Ken
MvC3 -------> Dante, Chun, Ryu( i don't play much Marvel, actually i don't play at all and i am the worst player you have ever seen.

Well that's all. Go easy on me!

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards

I'm pretty surprised people play more SSF4 than Marvel. I feel like in SSF4 my inputs never come out for the combo I want, as opposed to MVC3 where it recognizes what I want when I want it. It's like I have to pull out 3 hadoukens and get hit 2 times before I can pull out Shinku Hadouken. Third Strike feels a lot more comfortable to me. Probably just me taking a liking to MVC3's simpler mechanics.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

@Knight

Sorry for not answering your message. I was getting salty while learning to stick online so I was kinda put off by everything `3`

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back