• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► The Fan-Fic Writer's Moving Sidewalk

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Okay seriously, we need to get writers talking. QUESTION TIME!!!

Let's start with: What do you all think is the most important thing to know/think about when writing fanfiction? (and if anyone says "fun", I'll "kill" them).

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Okay seriously, we need to get writers talking. QUESTION TIME!!!

Let's start with: What do you all think is the most important thing to know/think about when writing fanfiction? (and if anyone says "fun", I'll "kill" them).

What's out of character and what isn't. If it isn't done right, you're just cut and pasting a name.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
When I write existing character, especially besides OC's or in realistic/darker and edgier situations, I always have to make sure to balance just right on that line of in-character and what a person would actually say/feel.

DJQuackQuack

Sextet Gentleman
Staying on character is definitely an important part of fanfiction. Fanfics should honor the original idea while still adding your own flavor to it, but it should never alter the character in it other than the siuation they are put it.

And when introducing OCs, I think it's important the compliment the canon character(s) involved. Would make it easier to write an interesting fanfic of the OC and canon fitted together.

And...
<.<
>.>
...fun. *runs away*

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Staying on character is definitely an important part of fanfiction. Fanfics should honor the original idea while still adding your own flavor to it, but it should never alter the character in it other than the siuation they are put it.

And when introducing OCs, I think it's important the compliment the canon character(s) involved. Would make it easier to write an interesting fanfic of the OC and canon fitted together.

And...
<.<
>.>
...fun. *runs away*

129037496524326286.jpg

Anyway, I'd also like to say that I enjoy it when people really take the ideas from the story and roll with it themselves. Like, instead of trying to take all the characters and all the specific locales and forcing a separate story into that; they take the ideas of the story, some of the key people/places/things, and craft a story around that. It really shows off the talent of the writer, imo.

padlock

Awards
Anyway, I'd also like to say that I enjoy it when people really take the ideas from the story and roll with it themselves. Like, instead of trying to take all the characters and all the specific locales and forcing a separate story into that; they take the ideas of the story, some of the key people/places/things, and craft a story around that. It really shows off the talent of the writer, imo.

I have to say i agree with you Nevermore; I don't like using the already established characters. Taking the ideas and melding them you're own way always creates the best fanfic... e.g Exvind's "Splintered Heart". I'd say that is one of the best fanfics I've ever read.

What do I think is the most important thing to know/think about when writing fanfiction?

Does this add or subtract to the canon? or does it make it better.. more intruiging. Does it make people more excited for the real thing. I think that is what I think about...

69 posts ;D i'm on this site far too much to have only 69 posts ._. i guess it is cause i am too lazy to post :p

DJQuackQuack

Sextet Gentleman
LOL that kid is scary...

Good point. It shows talent when you're able to take a canon character, put them in a completely different setting and plot, and still stay true to the canon aspect of the character in how they would react.

What is everyone's opinion on original characters (OCs) in fanfics?? You think fanfics are better with or without?? And I know it depends on the quality of the writer and story, but just speaking in general.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
I have a question about randomness..

What is your opinion on over-the-top (meaning stop) randomness? What would it be like? LIke its' SO random, it's terrible basically is what I am asking.

DJQuackQuack

Sextet Gentleman
Oh dear...I may have reached that point last night lol with the fanfic I posted. But that is what I get for staying up so late on caffiene...

Randomness can be funny. But IMO, has to be controlled randomness. If a story has no flow or real plot, it won't catch the readers attention.

Tbh, a good example of randomness is a series is Bobobo-bo Bobo-bo. Now, before you say "sucks" or "rocks", this isn't about it being good or not. The entire series was randomness at its finest, making each scene something impossible to guess what was going to happen.

But, overall, it had a plot. There was reasons behind everything and it was easy to follow. Whether or not the amount of randomness was too much or just enough for you, that's all personal opinion.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
random: chinese guy born in pakistan with irish accent who is afraid of microwaves and his catchphrase is "The hell with your pseudo-capitalist, jabborey jocke rubbish filled with angst and reeks of emo."

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
XDD okay.

Cause actuallY i saw a promo pic for something i DID not to want to..

And I'm ending up writing a really crazy crossover with like 7 different fandom's to explain it to myself...

So far I've doen the kidnapping part.. (By a cartoon character) and Dr. Drakan trying to finish his invention to beat vexen. Ya.. I wont' torture with that. LOL.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
What is everyone's opinion on original characters (OCs) in fanfics?? You think fanfics are better with or without?? And I know it depends on the quality of the writer and story, but just speaking in general.
It depends a lot on the character for me.

Typically, I have no problem with OC's. Actually, a lot of the time I write fanfictions with a solely OC cast. Things like that are always good in my book (good as in okay to write). But I'm personally getting sick of many of the OC's in KH fanfics. Honestly, I've gotten a bit bored with all the secret teenage girl members of Organization XIII who Roxas falls in love with. Seriously, we already have Xion, we don't need any more. That is typically the problem for me: OC's that are mixed with existing characters are usually very cliche and boring. So I actually recommend using either all OC's or no OC's (besides a few OC minor characters, which I totally understand).

But in general I think of OC's just like any other character.

A

Azrael

The Writer's Mary Sue Test

It all depends on the test. Results of Shahbaz, my latest OC

Shahbaz is only a little like you. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. He always knew he was special, destined for great things - and probablyf made sure everyone else knew it too. He's come in for his share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Shahbaz, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Shahbaz is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Personally, I like this test:

The Universal Mary-Sue Litmus Test

Based on the tests I've done on some of my OC's, none of my characters would quality as a Mary Sue. That's not too surprising though, because whenever I read some of the questions it asks I think to myself, "Why would I ever make it like that? That'd be boring!"

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
Well.. first off...

That was a nice quiz, thank you!

But it didnt 'apply to my character.. (well most of the questions didn't. that's why i got a terribel score. D:)

So yea.. it's more for fantasy...

And OH.. apparently being a role-model is a trait of a mary sue. >.>

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
You don't want a high score. It's like golf.

Also, the Role-Model question is just another way of describing how "perfect" the character is (just on a moral or behavioral level). Remember, if you have some of the things on that list, that doesn't make a character a Mary Sue. The thing about Mary Sue characters is that they have too many of the things listed on the quiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back