• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The exclusive Roxas scenes

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I personally actually think the dropped "hints" are about evenly distributed between both, especially when taking into consideration the whole series and not just KH 1 and KH 2.
The primary reason Sora X Kairi is seen as the more "probable" one inside out in general is because that is the hetero-option.
If Kairi would be a guy and Riku a girl (or Sora female), everyone would point towards Sora X Riku being the more probable one. It's something that is simply more engrained into most people's minds, similar to the notion that people of different genders simply cannot be just friends but have to have something romantic going.

Shipping is ok as long as it doesn't go overboard and becomes intruding to the whole fandom. You're lucky to not have entered the fandom around when KH 2 was still freshly out as I remember back then in 2006/2007 especially the Axel/Roxas shipping could sometimes get quite intense to the point where it did become somewhat unsettling.
Not to mention, since KH is a series that loves to keep all the romantic stuff regarding the original characters vague, the shipping wars themselves became sometimes so "hot" that several forums and fansites eventually banned shipping-talk completely.

That there are no (or very few) canon non-hetero relationships in entertainment media in general has also much to do with the general mindset of the majority of consumers and creators as many of the latter group are simply too fearful to include an open non-hetero-relationship because of possible backlash from "moral guardians", religious zealots or possible poor success of the work because of it.

Eh, I just don't really see any hints for SoRiku. I'm totally not against the homosexual agenda, I'm just saying that there really wasn't anything that hinted anything more than two bros in my eyes. I guess the closest we got to this was the scene before Riku dives into Sora's heart to beat the Armored Nightmare, but even then I still see that entire scene as definitely platonic.

P.S. TOTALLY love homo relationships in popular media, however :D KorrAsami for life yo ;W;

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Eh, I just don't really see any hints for SoRiku.
There are just as many scenes that you can interpret as romantic for Sora and Riku as there are any other pairing of characters in the series, thanks to its vague nature but that's a whole other topic.
I'm totally not against the homosexual agenda, I'm just saying that there really wasn't anything that hinted anything more than two bros in my eyes.
"The homosexual agenda" just for your future reference, is a phrase that is either offensive or laughably ignorant depending on how it's used, but it's never a legitimate thing to bring to a conversation about homosexuality. I know this was totally innocent, though. But you know. Never hurts to learn.
I guess the closest we got to this was the scene before Riku dives into Sora's heart to beat the Armored Nightmare, but even then I still see that entire scene as definitely platonic.
Sora literally getting on his knees sobbing over Riku in KH2 is usually everyone's go-to, but it's all up for interpretation.

P.S. TOTALLY love homo relationships in popular media, however :D KorrAsami for life yo ;W;

Until it was explicitly confirmed, a LOT of people used the exact same "I see them as bros" counterargument you just shared verbatim. I don't mean to discredit your viewpoint, as I too don't think Riku and Sora will get together but usually "I don't see them as gay/in love" is the most generic point people make when discrediting LGBT pairings. Even and especially canon ones.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Eh, I just don't really see any hints for SoRiku. I'm totally not against the homosexual agenda, I'm just saying that there really wasn't anything that hinted anything more than two bros in my eyes. I guess the closest we got to this was the scene before Riku dives into Sora's heart to beat the Armored Nightmare, but even then I still see that entire scene as definitely platonic.

I guess I can kinda see where some people get the idea. The two of them are close friends, and that's been developed better than most relationships in this series. And speaking from personal experience, even in real life, people just love shipping best friends together. It's annoying.

I don't have a problem with the idea that the two care for eachother a ton. That's already rather undeniable, and sometimes I even like it. What bothers me is when people jump the gun and start drawing fanart of the two doing disturbing sex acts.

Really though, these kinds of super-close friendships between male characters (as in the kind where everyone thinks they're sooo in love) is a concept older than dirt. There's examples everywhere, from works like the Iliad to stories from the Old Testament.

And I don't know about y'all, but if I was told that my best friend was possibly dead, then found them alive and well, I'd be crying my eyes out.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
The truth is that there is a VERY thin line between a deep and affectionate relationship being platonic or romantic. They can literally be indistinguishable at times with the only real difference tending to be one includes romantic + sexual gestures such as kissing and sex (but even that isn't actually limited to just romantic relationships!). Any truly deep bond between two people could easily be interpreted as either and at the end of the day, when it comes to fiction, whether someone views something as romantic or platonic is often entirely based more on their own subjectivity than the actual pairing being talked about. Riku and Sora have the deepest most loving bond in the entire series, whether one interprets that as platonic or shaded in romantic is entirely up to the player and the player's biases.

And let's be honest, if Riku was a girl and the game stayed exactly the same, there would be next to no one doubting that Sora/Riku was an intended to be romantic pairing and that they should be together.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I will definitely agree that Sora and Riku's bond is the tightest out of the group. No argument from me there.

Awards
The truth is that there is a VERY thin line between a deep and affectionate relationship being platonic or romantic. They can literally be indistinguishable at times with the only real difference tending to be one includes romantic + sexual gestures such as kissing and sex (but even that isn't actually limited to just romantic relationships!). Any truly deep bond between two people could easily be interpreted as either and at the end of the day, when it comes to fiction, whether someone views something as romantic or platonic is often entirely based more on their own subjectivity than the actual pairing being talked about.
Which is why you can make an argument for mickeyriku, haha.

But there are some scenes that are specifically put in romantic framing in the series, but they're few and far in between and pretty much just about Sora's feelings for Kairi. Aside from those moments, it's left ambiguous. It's all about the shipping goggles that you wear.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Which is why you can make an argument for mickeyriku, haha.

I... I don't even want to think about that side of the fandom. This is an anthropomorphic mouse and a human we're talking about here, and the mouse has been taken by another mouse already for longer than both of us have been alive.

But there are some scenes that are specifically put in romantic framing in the series, but they're few and far in between and pretty much just about Sora's feelings for Kairi. Aside from those moments, it's left ambiguous. It's all about the shipping goggles that you wear.

I guess that's true too. It's all a matter of how you define "love," along with the differences between the romantic variety and just plain deep caring. Even though I get the feeling that some of these things are crackships that someone took waaay too seriously.

Awards

I... I don't even want to think about that side of the fandom. This is an anthropomorphic mouse and a human we're talking about here, and the mouse has been taken by another mouse already for longer than both of us have been alive.
Yes, but the keyword is anthropomorphic, which means having human characteristics. He has a human heart, and his capacity to love and think as a sentient creature is no lesser than Riku's.

It’s not comparable to a pet and an owner, whose bond is entirely familial. It’s not comparable to an idol and his fan, because Mickey isn’t worlds famous here, at least not on Destiny Islands.

In KH1, their first meeting was implied. Behind the door, when Riku seemed alone and all seemed lost for him, the girl he might have loved in the heart of another, he met a light in the darkness, a hope that rekindled a flame about to die out. He met love.

His side of Chain of Memories was very heavy in MickeyRiku as they continued to grow closer and they opened up to one another.

Why, not even Days would have been complete with the obligatory MickeyRiku meeting and conversation! Their bond has obviously progressed a long way there. He is even so informal that he may address him as Mickey, rather than “The King,” something few character do. Further proof that it differs from a child wanting an autograph.

In Kingdom Hearts 2, when Sora ran to Kairi, Riku and Mickey ran to each other, and their swing and hug was, perhaps, more intimate than Sora and Kairi’s exchanging of the charm.

In KH3D, Riku’s conversations with the Mickeys who did not yet know his foreshadow just how much Riku will mean to him.

tumblr_mckmg5QdUT1qlswry.png

tumblr_mi31e9lXtP1ql40ivo2_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mhbgmkXn2l1ru6k0zo1_500.png

It’s only right that, following the progression, KH3 will be a denouement for the pairing, which is truly the main pairing of kingdom hearts, bringing together the main mascot of Disney and the only original KH character who has a fully realized character arc.

lol I'm sorry

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Yes, but the keyword is anthropomorphic, which means having human characteristics. He has a human heart, and his capacity to love and think as a sentient creature is no lesser than Riku's.

It’s not comparable to a pet and an owner, whose bond is entirely familial. It’s not comparable to an idol and his fan, because Mickey isn’t worlds famous here, at least not on Destiny Islands.

In KH1, their first meeting was implied. Behind the door, when Riku seemed alone and all seemed lost for him, the girl he might have loved in the heart of another, he met a light in the darkness, a hope that rekindled a flame about to die out. He met love.

His side of Chain of Memories was very heavy in MickeyRiku as they continued to grow closer and they opened up to one another.

Why, not even Days would have been complete with the obligatory MickeyRiku meeting and conversation! Their bond has obviously progressed a long way there. He is even so informal that he may address him as Mickey, rather than “The King,” something few character do. Further proof that it differs from a child wanting an autograph.

In Kingdom Hearts 2, when Sora ran to Kairi, Riku and Mickey ran to each other, and their swing and hug was, perhaps, more intimate than Sora and Kairi’s exchanging of the charm.

In KH3D, Riku’s conversations with the Mickeys who did not yet know his foreshadow just how much Riku will mean to him.

tumblr_mckmg5QdUT1qlswry.png

tumblr_mi31e9lXtP1ql40ivo2_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_mhbgmkXn2l1ru6k0zo1_500.png

It’s only right that, following the progression, KH3 will be a denouement for the pairing, which is truly the main pairing of kingdom hearts, bringing together the main mascot of Disney and the only original KH character who has a fully realized character arc.

lol I'm sorry

Never thought someone could do it, but you made a case out of it.

And I am so happy that Mickey & Riku are going to rip shit up in KHIII! Only pairing even more sweet might be the one between Riku and Sora, but that's debatable.

And I'd say that the Riku Replica, despite his arc literally not being completed, was fully realized as well. His whole thing was that he never got to finish what he started, which was strangely satisfying for the only real character death in the series. But I guess that proves that anything Riku-related is just awesome xD

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

lol I'm sorry

... I don't know how you did it, but you actually made that sound plausible. And not like the usual ravings of depraved fangirls.

I still will NOT tolerate the creepy fandom around it, though.

OkaruAudo

The truth is that there is a VERY thin line between a deep and affectionate relationship being platonic or romantic. They can literally be indistinguishable at times with the only real difference tending to be one includes romantic + sexual gestures such as kissing and sex (but even that isn't actually limited to just romantic relationships!). Any truly deep bond between two people could easily be interpreted as either and at the end of the day, when it comes to fiction, whether someone views something as romantic or platonic is often entirely based more on their own subjectivity than the actual pairing being talked about. Riku and Sora have the deepest most loving bond in the entire series, whether one interprets that as platonic or shaded in romantic is entirely up to the player and the player's biases.

And let's be honest, if Riku was a girl and the game stayed exactly the same, there would be next to no one doubting that Sora/Riku was an intended to be romantic pairing and that they should be together.

Kudos to you for such a wise observation and view on what makes a romantic relationship romantic. That was actually a very smart way to think about it. Just felt like it deserved a compliment.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Take my advice: Data-Spamnas is the easiest Data battle out of all of them, especially if you have MP Rage and like to abuse the heck out of your Limit Form.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards

games_KH2-diz.gif

A Mouse and human having relationships freaks you out, yet you are a ok with nobodies having affection for a humans even though Nobodies don't exist. What a fool.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
games_KH2-diz.gif

A Mouse and human having relationships freaks you out, yet you are a ok with nobodies having affection for a humans even though Nobodies don't exist. What a fool.

You, DiZ, have obviously have never heard of "I think, therefore I am." All those Nobodies did a whole lot of thinking (plus planning, plotting, trolling, deceiving, and backstabbing). Aaand you spent all that time going on about revenge only to blow yourself up with a machine that was supposed to destroy a giant heart-shaped moon. Who's the fool now?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
games_KH2-diz.gif

​Hahahah that anger is the reason why I never built you that beach. Tell Sora I said Hi.

I hate you SO much...

And now I'm beginning to realize just how off-topic this thread has gone, several times. Awesome.

OkaruAudo

Off topic is the best.... Topic..? Annnnyways, about using limit form, I usually use a form in a boss battle when I have no potions or MP, that way I can restore HP and MP instantly and just revert to normal Sora. Also, why did DiZ stay and let it blow him up anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back