• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► The Ever Secret Diary of Sirius Black

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elphaba_1

Author
“You might think of Harry,” said Dumbledore, “When you look through Sirius’ things. He’d treasure a memory of his godfather. You will look won’t you Remus and find something for the boy? Something for yourself too perhaps.”

Remus smiled slightly, “Of course Albus. Sentiment really wasn’t one of Padfoot’s traits, but I’ll look none the less.”

“Good man,” Dumbledore pat Remus on the shoulder. “I doubt the Marauders would leave their legacy unknown, Sirius was never one to disappoint. You’ll find something Moony my lad.” Dumbledore winked, then turned the brass doorknob, exiting Grimmauld place.

Something for Harry, something of Sirius’? Remus could hardly think what this could be. Whatever it was, it could only be found here in this most ancient house of Black. Mrs. Black had been silenced in the hall and Kreacher had left, most undoubtedly for the Malfoy’s, his new masters.

An eerie silence crept from the floorboards and the rafters. A chilly fear began to slip back into #12’s rooms, that lonely darkness had returned. Abandoned and masterless, this house now seemed as it was before Sirius had returned.

Remus stood alone in the stairwell, feeling these intimidating new pressures of the house, recalling Sirius’ loathing for it. Buckbeak screeched from upstairs and the silence was broken. Removing himself from his daze, Remus made his way up the stairs to the hippogriff’s room. He pacified the beast with a bounty of dead rats, and then began looking through the drawers in a vanity, on the opposite wall.

Articles of old clothing, a number of odorous mothballs, and some eau de toilette were found in the first drawer, disappointing Remus greatly.

He progressed to the second and third, discovering more amounts of clothing and a collection of chocolate frog cards. He made a mental note to give them to Ron on their next meeting.

Coming to the fourth and final drawer, Remus was pleased to find something of greater interest; newspaper clippings form the Daily Prophet, neatly placed in a wood box. Some articles dated back fifteen and sixteen years before, to the early years of Voldemort’s fall. Remus was quite intrigued, but he wasn’t sure they’d be a suitable enough memory for Harry, so delved deeper.

Under the wooden box lay a mirror, Harry had the other one, Remus remembered, and set it aside as something of a keepsake. Some unmatched socks and Bertti Botts’ Beans wrappers later, Remus fingered a small box in the back of the drawer.

It looked as if it could hold no more than a ring, hinged in wood, and it’s black paint chipping on the corners. A single golden S was etched on the top, and a metal clasp kept the box shut, in an elaborate B. Remus shook it, no sound, then lifted the latch.

The little box appeared empty, until it began to expand and grow in his hands. It had soon morphed into a giant chest, now heavy and painful on Remus’ lap. It took great effort to pull the chest off him, but when he did, he found it full and overflowing with treasures from the past.

Treasure such as: dress robes from seventh year, a crimson and gold tie dotted with lipstick (Remus shook his head humorously at this), an innocent looking pocket comb that folded into a knife, a yellowing pearl strand (Remus recalled that Sirius gave this to every girl he dated for a time, then asked for it back upon a breakup), and a folded leaflet that read the word, Marauders. Remus opened it, only to find a ticktacktoe game between James and Sirius, in which Prongs had suffered considerable losses.

Remus could hardly understand why anyone would keep such a frivolous item, so tossed it aside in a growing pile on the floor. He glanced away, then quickly glanced back. A word had caught his eye on the supposed ticktacktoe game, a particularly naughty swear word.

He picked up the aged parchment once more to find the hidden truth to this document. Remus now knew it to be a game to see whom could out wit the other with retorts and saucy comebacks.

This had been a way of practice for Padfoot and Prongs, to sharpen their tongues a bit. This time James had the higher score, he had out witted Padfoot’s insult of “Gag a maggot you filthy faggot,” to, “Kiss me here, cow derriere!”. Remus slipped the parchment into his robes, he would keep that, he really didn’t think it was suitable for Harry.

Beneath Sirius’ first detention slip, Remus caught a glimpse of a miniature waving arm. He removed the detention to see a weathered old photograph of the Marauders, twenty years before.

They were all about fifteen, in their fifth year, standing outside the Hogwarts express, waving at the camera. James kept frowning and smiling, rumpling his hair and rubbing his nose. Peter was waving energetically to James’ left (Remus’ right), hyper and tensed, his gray blue eyes bulging. Remus’ sight drifted to his fifteen year old self. It was obvious he was straining a smile and he had a really longing look of some good bed rest.

Remus sighed and let his eyes travel back to the other side of James, to the half hidden face of Sirius. James’ hair was blocking most of Sirius’ face from view, but that rich, daring smile made him ever recognizable. It seemed he hadn’t been ready for this shot, because it was known that he, Sirius loved to hog the spotlight. James and Sirius were always at competition for attention and this didn’t fail for pictures. Apparently, James had won this time.

The photo beneath flattered Sirius much more. It was of him, alone, leaning with a certain grace against the stairwell to the boy’s dormitories in the Gryffindor common room.

This shot, Remus guessed, was taken in about their sixth year, he determined by Sirius’ height and build. He could be no older than sixteen here. Sirius’ face was drawn in a winning half smile, his eyes of a haunting gray blue were illuminated in the dieing firelight of the common room, and his head was cocked back in a relaxed and confident manner. Elegant layers of black hair fell neatly to his shoulders, not too neatly, just rugged enough to attract.

Remus felt a twinge of jealousy for Sirius’ looks, quickly putting it behind him, remembering the sunken, doleful eyes of Azkaban Sirius had later received.

In his youth, Remus’ envy grew much deeper. He had hated Padfoot at times for the way his clothes fitted and flowed with him so perfectly, how girls gawked and squealed at the sight of him in the halls, and how he could pick and choose between the lot of them. Sixteen-year-old Remus had not had such luck, sure he had admirers and girlfriends, but they never stuck around long enough. Come full moon and his seclusion, girls had lost their trust for him, and thought him off with another. Remus remembered one occasion where Sirius had talked about taking a moonlit stroll with a date. Remus had told him to shut up, and then confined himself to the dormitory that night, hiding under his sheets as he cried.

Remus dismissed this memory too. After all, this was no time to feel sorry for himself, this was time to think of Harry, for Harry.

He pushed the photos aside, thinking them too painful and grabbed the next best thing in the chest. It was a blue, cracked leather booklet, water stained and yellow paged. He flipped through the pages, only to find them blank.

Remus stopped, looking back to the book’s cover again. Somehow it was familiar, he had seen this book before, but... wait! This was no book, a journal, this was Sirius’ diary. The memory flashed bright and sudden in Remus’ mind. This journal he had seen on Sirius’ pillow in the mornings, left on the floor some days, pilled with text books and papers, but always greeted by Sirius some point in the day, when he wrote in it.

Recalling Sirius’ will never to divulge personal information to a soul, save James maybe, Remus searched for the mystery behind this diary. He pondered a moment, then opened the cover of the diary, to the first blank page. To his surprise, words in an elegant script began to flow across the page.

“Welcome...” scrolled the page, the words vanished. “...to... The Ever Secret Diary of...” the words faded and were replaced by fresh ink, this time in a messy scroll. “...Sirius Black... Please enter password.” The page stalled a second and a thick black line entered the middle of the page. “X”. Remus gazed at the page, contemplating Sirius’ choice words, and wondered too, at the mischief Sirius could have plagued upon this book in his youth. So Remus chose carefully and wrote “Padfoot, the Grim.”

“Ooh! Very good...” the page replied, “But... WRONG!” The page shown a frowning face, that took pleasure in blowing raspberries at the viewer. The pages ruffled menacingly in a sudden breeze. There was a flash of light and the pages glistened gold. The writing returned.

“Just kidding... you’re right.” The frowning face smiled and said, “Enter.” Remus turned the page, and in Sirius’ sixteen-year-old scrawl, shown the date June 28th, summer before sixth year.

Elphaba_1

Author
June 28th, summer before 6th year:

Now who would have thought, me, with a diary... amazing isn't it? Well what's really amazing is how I got it in the first place. It's kind of like a last resort. This landed in my hands and at first I thought it was prank material, but I really don't think any prank is worth 200 pounds. You'll get what I mean soon enough.

What do I mean, “you”? Who am I talking to? The bindings? Pages? The spirit of the diary? Do diaries have spirits? That's nuts! So, whom am I talking to, myself? Yeah, that works, so Padfoot this one's for you. This is a lot crazier than I thought it'd be.

Today ended the school term. Fifth year is now behind me! We pulled into King's Cross station promptly at eleven. I told Mum to pick me up at six, so James and I could "carouse" a bit of London. His mum's staying a ways north in Hampstead for the weekend, so she took his stuff and left us for the day. I don't think she would have left him if she knew what would happen.

I left my trunks in the men's lavatory at the station. Very filthy in there, but I locked my stuff up in a cubicle and James slapped on an "Out of Order" note to the door, so no one would bother it. From there we headed down south for lunch.

James dragged me up and down and around the whole bloody city and somehow we ended up in Notting Hill. Snotty district in my opinion, but James said there were girls. Whatever, all I saw was forty year old blobs, tourists, and snappy old ladies.

So after about five minutes, we established the place was a bore. I don't know what James was thinking; maybe he was trying to entertain me, but he stopped this old hag. A real frosty wench with hand bag, white gloves, white hair, older than Noah, I swear to God. He asked her if she'd be interested in a dinner date and that he really went for old girls with blue hair. Never did he think her response would be so harsh!

She whacked him! Swung that moldy old purse of hers and whacked him! The look on Prongs face will stick forever, total shock. I think she had just gone shopping because the main contents of her bag were canned goods. That's what really made the impact, I think. I didn't even realize I was laughing and the woman whacked me too! Not a pleasant feeling either, because my ears were ringing.

She must have had a year's supply of green beans in that bloody sack. James, the idiot started howling, laughing at me like a hysterical maniac. Granny took it to offense then started another round of whacking the both of us. The old girl was making such a scene that it caught the attention of a bobby. The stupid chap must have thought we were trying to mug her or something, because he grabbed James by the back of his shirt and me by my hair (I think I have a bald spot now, the git!) and accused us of harassing a fine old senior.

James protested by saying he was only complementing her on her hair, and I tried to shed some light on the fact that she was pummeling us for no reason. Her excuse was self-defense. Oh God! Really, defense from what- James's breath?! I hope she gets a nice little hot seat in hell for that one. Ha! I can just imagine it, her blue hair flaming. What a lovely picture.

So anyway, James had put us in a right ugly spot. The constable still had us captive to his grip and James just had to say something else, open his big fly trap and get us in a mess. He let in another one, saying he guessed this meant Gran wouldn't go out with him, and she went at us again with her bag. Luckily, she missed James and hit the constable, who doubled in pain on contact.

This made way for our escape. We high-tailed it up the street. James made a beeline for the nearest shop and I followed. The constable was screaming after us and I knew we were in deep water. He passed the shop- he hadn't seen us go in (thankfully). Once he was off my mind, I realized what kind of ruddy shop James had led me into.

It was one of those antique places. Great, more old ladies. I think you have to be an antique to work in an antique shop, don't you? The constable passed again and James dragged me behind a large vanity display. Safe form view, I was sure to give him a good punch, the dolt!

The shop lady (or whoever she was) said some junk about loitering not being allowed and that you had to buy something or leave. I stalled with the usual “just looking” and watched the constable pass twice more. The shopkeeper nagged us again and I just grabbed whatever. It happened to be this ancient little blue book. If I'd seen what the heck I'd picked up, I wouldn't have bought it at all.

So I threw the thing down on the counter and James handed her the entire contents of his pocket (now that I look back on this, I see what a real sneaky weasel that woman was). She looked at the cash then said all sly like if we wanted any change. With out thinking much James said no, and I grabbed my withered new piece of rubbish (Withered? New? It made sense the first time anyway) and just dashed out of there. We escaped the constable and hailed a taxi.

Finally able to breathe freely, I really gave it to Prongs. Just because I said I was bored didn't mean I wanted chaos. Yes, I admit, it would have been funny if I wasn't black and blue with bruises from a bag and a bat, not to mention a fresh new gap on the back of my head, but James is a little crazy sometimes.

When he suggested a visit to Piccadilly Circus I'd just about had enough, so I persuaded him (God! That was some chore!) to retrieve my baggage at the station. By that time it was almost seven-thirty. I was an hour and a half late and Mum would be furious with me… if she was still there, that is. And, as expected, she was nowhere in sight.

I snagged my trunks, avoiding the creepy homeless mate outside the cubicle, and waited with James in the parking lot. As it turned out, his mum agreed to pick us up and drop me off at Grimmauld Place.

James leaves Hampstead tomorrow morning for York, and who knows when I'll hear from him next. He's really bad at writing letters-, gets one sentence in at the most and it's usually just, "How are you, hope you're well –ciao". There's some hope he might invite me over though, maybe in July. It'd sure beat here...

Oh yeah, so it turns out James just gave that nutty shopkeeper a bit of a fortune- two hundred pounds! Yeah, he's bloody rich. When he told me how much he gave her, he just shrugged and said Muggle money is worth less than galleons anyway.

It really gets to me how he can shrug off that kind of money. James has got as many galleons as he has detentions, and that's saying something. I think we're at a tie now- between the two of us, James and I, we have about a hundred fifty, and even then I'd say that's a little low. We're going for the record. Filch says the worst- sorry, I mean best- was a hundred n' ten. We're close to beating it- with two more semesters I'd say it's an easy goal.

James is rather proud of the tallies Filch engraved on the back of his office door for our detentions. Remus reckons he needs a new door now, he's running out of room. We have files too! Judith Stebbins said I have my own drawer. That just gives me a warm, happy feeling inside. You know that feeling, the one where you love the world. I could almost kiss Kreacher it makes me... wait, I'm taking that back (vomiting feeling now).

Filch says our days are numbered. Every year he begs McGonagall to expel us. I think she would, if James didn't keep the house cup in her office- Quidditch helps a bundle with points. But our days? Numbered? Oh, I love that man, Filch. Every detention of ours is another daisy for his grave. I daresay we're sending him there rather quickly.

Hey, there's a moon tonight. I know, big whoop, the moon, but it's Remus I'm thinking about. Wonder how's he's doing. Looks as if he's got a bit less than a week 'til that time. Poor bloke, he has it worse off than any of the Marauders.

Well, with that happy note, I end my entry. My God, it's long! I've never written this much in my life! Heck, there's always a first for everything, just as long as I don't make this a habit. I don't want to turn into Snivellus. That thought makes me want to bathe. I need to go ice my forehead, I could really kill that woman! Rejection by an old woman, that should lower James' self-esteem, considering he can't get Evans either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back