• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The end of Xehanort *SPOILERS*

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 252753

The chess framing device, apart from feeling very tacked on, also is extremely inconsistent.

In the prologue, Xehanort says that Darkness shall prevail and Light expire because 'The future, it's already been written'.

Erqus counters that he can change the future to maybe make light prevail.

But what about that final exchange between Sora and Xehanort? Here, Xehanort reveals he was seeking to remake the world to prevent the world falling to darkness. Sora counters that 'A real leader knows that destiny is beyond his control, and accepts that'.

So Black/Xehanort and White/Sora apparently swap their positions between those two dialogues without acknowledging it. It's easy to miss but it's quite a big thing really. I'd like to believe there'll be an explanation for it but we'll see.

Even though the scene leaves a lot to be desired in closing Xehanort's series arc, I actually thought it was an amazing scene, at least up until the other guardians of light arrive.

I liked how Xehanort didn't just fade or die in a flashy way but rather was shown to weakened in a more human way, struggling to stay upright. It at once showed his weakness and the strength of his resolve and set him apart from his other selves.

Even though it didn't fit his previous motivations, I think his speech about the darkness is the most beautiful writing I have ever seen/heard in a video game (I think the game has a lot of great dialogue).

I really like the way the camera draws attention to his fist clench, symbol of resolve throughout the series, as he talks of needing to stand up and lead. Then he talks about the 'weak polluting the world with their endless darkness' after having started the scene seeping darkness himself.

Sorry for the gushing on an old thread but I do think it's a great scene if you don't consider why it doesn't work with everything else

legacier

Awards
But what about that final exchange between Sora and Xehanort? Here, Xehanort reveals he was seeking to remake the world to prevent the world falling to darkness. Sora counters that 'A real leader knows that destiny is beyond his control, and accepts that'.

So Black/Xehanort and White/Sora apparently swap their positions between those two dialogues without acknowledging it. It's easy to miss but it's quite a big thing really. I'd like to believe there'll be an explanation for it but we'll see.

I'm so glad someone else noticed this! I spent so long trying to make sense of it but it's impossible to justify. And the next line was Xehanort saying that Sora reminded him of an old friend. Huh?? Literally the point of the chess scene (and the entire game) was that Eraqus knew light would win regardless of the prophecy. You know, the one Xehanort had been monologuing about just moments ago. And Sora had no business bringing up destiny in the first place when he had just broken the universe in order to defeat an ancient prophecy. I almost want to believe such a blunder is too obvious for it to be accidental, but there's no other explanation for it.

ZeVaine

Awards
Yeah, the line where Sora says "Destiny is out of one's control" seems completely contradictory to Eraqus' statement in response to Xehanort talking about everything being "set in stone"... Eraqus is like "what if I try to change it?". Sora seems to be fine saying that destiny is destiny, yet simultaneously also fine with time traveling at least once - if not two times to get Kairi - and it's funny that Xehanort wouldn't call him out on that...

Back