• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The "Dream Sword" into the movie "The Black Cauldron" (1985)

• Thread starter Deleted member 248644
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 248644

I was seeing images through Google and I just noticed this.

The "Magic Sword" from the movie The Black Cauldron (1985) -called Dyrnwyn in the novel- is almost identical to the "Dream Sword" from Kingdom Hearts.

Info from: Disney Wikia | KH Wiki

Inspiration? Coincidence? Conspiracy?

Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/tZMU7DM.jpg (or right click and "View image" to expand it)

tZMU7DM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Good eye! It's very possible that as they were looking through Disney works while making the original game, Nomura took note of the sword's design and decided to use it's likeness in some fashion, which eventually wound up being the Dream Sword.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Eh, I've seen similar designs used elsewhere. Don't think it's that big of a deal.

Mii_Swordfighter_SSB4.png

D

Deleted member 248644

Good eye! It's very possible that as they were looking through Disney works while making the original game, Nomura took note of the sword's design and decided to use it's likeness in some fashion, which eventually wound up being the Dream Sword.
Thanks! It's what I think too, because the descriptions are also similar. Sadly, today I saw the movie and I have not found anything else, so this looks like the only reference (in case it was). I hope someday someone will ask Nomura about all his inspirations in the making of the game and not only technical and more technical information, and in a huge text, not few lines as always.

Looks like Nomura clearly was influenced by Taran's sword.
Eh, I've seen similar designs used elsewhere. Don't think it's that big of a deal.

https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/1/14/Mii_Swordfighter_SSB4.png
Before open the thread I checked the Ultimanias, interviews in magazines and some internet forums, and nothing, this has never been officially confirmed, so the information still unavailable.

Apart from the appearance, the other relation is that when you choose the Dream Sword in the Dive to the Heart, the text says "A sword of terrible destruction.", and those who have seen the movie know as fact that the Magic Sword is exactly that, word by word.

Due to the lack of information I cannot affirm nothing, so for the moment this remains as conjecture (very coincidental, but conjecture after all).

I do wish the dream sword could have had more appearances. I'm a huge fan of its design.
Me too, but because has symbolic meaning it is unlikely...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back