• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► The Divergent Series movies

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
does fox own the divergent movies? lol. anyway, i thought they were bland, boring and generic.

Patricier21

Even though they are diverging a bit from the book, this trailer makes me even more excited. Heck that's actually the point of an adaptation: by definition it is "a change or the process of change by which an organism or species becomes better suited to its environment". What works i na boo does not necessarily work in a movie, and thus far the Divergent movies have done a fairly great job of being loyal to the overall plot of the books while making it not only as enjoyable but comprehendible for those who have not read the initial story. As such, the diverging of it all actually makes it even more exciting for me as I have a new experience with a story that I am already familiar with that could very well be just as good or better.As it is, it seems like they made the changes for the better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu1JetWSoxw

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Eh. The book series started out alright, but ended pretty badly. I don't think these movies are going to be much better.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
First book was good. First movie was even better. Second book was great. Second movie felt like they were taking Tris' story and making it Four feat. Tris with even less development, so I despised it. Third book was pretty much a giant meh, excluding Tris ending which was beautiful as heck.

I have no expectations for this film series anymore. It's not even like the changes Game of Thrones went through where some of the changes can be good or there's still good writing in the series to try and fix the gross changes.

I do find it funny how I actually liked the book series, for the most part, and disliked the Maze Runner books, and yet I'm opposite for the movies.

But hey. At least these movies aren't the PJO movies. Not that the second film was better than the PJO movies. It was just less insulting.

Patricier21

First book was good. First movie was even better. Second book was great. Second movie felt like they were taking Tris' story and making it Four feat. Tris with even less development, so I despised it. Third book was pretty much a giant meh, excluding Tris ending which was beautiful as heck.

I have no expectations for this film series anymore. It's not even like the changes Game of Thrones went through where some of the changes can be good or there's still good writing in the series to try and fix the gross changes.

I do find it funny how I actually liked the book series, for the most part, and disliked the Maze Runner books, and yet I'm opposite for the movies.

But hey. At least these movies aren't the PJO movies. Not that the second film was better than the PJO movies. It was just less insulting.

As yo think the 3rd book was a giant meh, then you may like the movie for all of the changes that it made.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I really didn't like the movies and they've made me not even want to read the books.

I mostly blame Shailene Woodley.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The YA post apocalypse genre is really getting stale at this point. Hunger Games was fresh and new, but everything after just feels recycled and cliche

Patricier21

The YA post apocalypse genre is really getting stale at this point. Hunger Games was fresh and new, but everything after just feels recycled and cliche

Thats actually how I felt towards Hunger Games its self. It felt more cliched and recycled to me with the thematic elements and character arc being very much like the latter Harry Potters. Divergent felt more fresh to me with its writing style and concepts which felt more emotionally engaging. Just because Hunger Games came first does not mean that all other things have to be compared to it. Some (including many that I know) actually prefer Divergent because of how Hunger Games is overall written, filmed and how it handles its themes and vice versa. Divergent and all the other series deserve to be successful for what they deliver i themselves. Most criticism that I'm hearing are that it is too similar to HG, yet the fact is there is only so much that you can do with any sort of story. There will be similarities no matter how different they try to make it be and it is a little smart alecky to be comparing about its similarities when in some cases it is because hey are similar/familiar as to why you like them. As memory serves that is how some people described experiencing the original Star Wars when it first came out, and during that time you'd save Star Trek and all sorts of other sci fi to compare it to. "Its not how they are alike, it is how they are not" Its just like people. Surely you've met some people that are similar to another? Yet if you don't let your ignorance get the better of you you may find that they are not what they may seem and may be a better version of that which you were initially introduced to. Its the same principle as with movies, books, games and all other works of fiction

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Thats actually how I felt towards Hunger Games its self. It felt more cliched and recycled to me with the thematic elements and character arc being very much like the latter Harry Potters. Divergent felt more fresh to me with its writing style and concepts which felt more emotionally engaging. Just because Hunger Games came first does not mean that all other things have to be compared to it. Some (including many that I know) actually prefer Divergent because of how Hunger Games is overall written, filmed and how it handles its themes and vice versa. Divergent and all the other series deserve to be successful for what they deliver i themselves. Most criticism that I'm hearing are that it is too similar to HG, yet the fact is there is only so much that you can do with any sort of story. There will be similarities no matter how different they try to make it be and it is a little smart alecky to be comparing about its similarities when in some cases it is because hey are similar/familiar as to why you like them. As memory serves that is how some people described experiencing the original Star Wars when it first came out, and during that time you'd save Star Trek and all sorts of other sci fi to compare it to. "Its not how they are alike, it is how they are not" Its just like people. Surely you've met some people that are similar to another? Yet if you don't let your ignorance get the better of you you may find that they are not what they may seem and may be a better version of that which you were initially introduced to. Its the same principle as with movies, books, games and all other works of fiction

static1.squarespace.gif

Patricier21

Just because you do not disagree with me, or I disagree with the majority does not mean that I am wrong. It is entirely possible for someone to feel the same way, hence Divergent's success, no matter how comparable it can be to Hunger Games. There are quite a number of people who actually agree with me on these points. They also have solid proof that has been proven many times over by many others and in different contexts.

More importantly, it does not matter that the majority likes or dislikes something to me; they see things differently from me just as I do from them. We are all different, regardless of whether we have similar or different tastes. There is no right or wrong way to like something; it only has to make sense to you. I always experience with an open mind, regardless of how similar it may be to something else that I know. "It sin't how they are alike, it is how they are not". It is simply impossible to be completely different from something. Heck, at times its actually because they are similar to something else that is among the reasons why I like them. If you look closely, not to mention deeply, like you have for these acclaimed movies, then maybe you may not only find something that separates them from the rest, but something of value too, regardless of how it may be generally received. Chances are that they could be mistaken of something just like our species has countless times over the course of the world's life cycle. As well, please consider that regardless of how "derivative" or "generic" something may seem to even a majority, there will always be someone who has never seen nor had any desire to see the "original" version of the story or concept, and will get more enjoyment based on this "new" version of the "story" or "idea" because they see things in it that other people did not. Please also consider that it is also improbable, not to mention smart alecky, unhealthy and unethical to see or at least know about EVERY SINGLE work of fiction that there ever was. Technically, everything is a reboot to something that came before it. Dismissing something because it is "generic" or "derivative" is just ruthlessly absurd because what may be to you or even the majority, may not be to others

Last edited:

Patricier21

Buying the tie in edition of the Allegiant book (due out Feb. 16), even if you already have it is beneficial towards the movie's success as it will count towards merchandise revenue. As well, the Divergent and Insurgent movie edition tie-ins had additional content related to the series like deleted scenes and special things like Evelyn's Speech to the faction less, so you're getting those extra bonuses too. :)

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Just as a general comment: I never support movie or shoe tie in books because the covers are almost always terrible in comparison to the original cover.

People would likely support them more if they were interesting in anY possible way instead of just slapping actors on the cover.

Patricier21

Just as a general comment: I never support movie or shoe tie in books because the covers are almost always terrible in comparison to the original cover.

People would likely support them more if they were interesting in anY possible way instead of just slapping actors on the cover.

Still I find the cover interesting, more interesting than the previous two movie tie-in covers in fact.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i hated both movies and i heard they didn't do that well, they aren't working on a third one are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back