• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► The Divergent Series movies

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
i hated both movies and i heard they didn't do that well, they aren't working on a third one are they?

There's two more coming out. The first film was actually one of my favorites from 2014 and was a pretty decent adaptation. The second one, on the other hand, completely butchered the story and characters, which sucks because the second book, in my opinion, was better than the first. The third book was honestly just... the only good part is the ending, which was pretty fitting and beautiful for the series, but god, that book. Somehow, the third movie looks worse.

I was kind of hoping they would get cancelled/the fouth would get cancelled and they'd only do a third movie, but I guess not.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
There's two more coming out. The first film was actually one of my favorites from 2014 and was a pretty decent adaptation. The second one, on the other hand, completely butchered the story and characters, which sucks because the second book, in my opinion, was better than the first. The third book was honestly just... the only good part is the ending, which was pretty fitting and beautiful for the series, but god, that book. Somehow, the third movie looks worse.

I was kind of hoping they would get cancelled/the fouth would get cancelled and they'd only do a third movie, but I guess not.

lol there was no way they were going to skip the harry potter finale model.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
the trailer is usually better than the full result lmao

Lonbilly

Awards
Latest trailer for the film reminds me of the kind of feelings felt when seeing the Force Awakens trailer

I stopped reading there. Nope. Nopenopenopenopenope. I don't think I have ever read a comment from you that was just so wrong. This is like comparing a cheese pizza with bacon and feta cheese to a fried cricket that has been left out for 3 days.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I stopped reading there. Nope. Nopenopenopenopenope. I don't think I have ever read a comment from you that was just so wrong. This is like comparing a cheese pizza with bacon and feta cheese to a fried cricket that has been left out for 3 days.

who the fuck do you think you are? i have spent the last 23 years of my life consisting of crickets i fried using rocks and the sun while i wait for a ship to find the SOS and tell my family im alive yet you think you can shit about it?

Patricier21

who the diddly do you think you are? i have spent the last 23 years of my life consisting of crickets i fried using rocks and the sun while i wait for a ship to find the SOS and tell my family im alive yet you think you can shit about it?
^This. No need to be rude here, Lon billy just because we do not agree with you.

Lonbilly

Awards
Allegiant flopped.

There is a Santa Claus, Virginia. And he came early this year.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Hopefully this garbage trend of YA films dies out now. Heard Mockingjay really failed too last year. Heard the Maze Runner stuff isn't absolute garbage though, but that's gotta go too.

But to think, there's still another movie for this next year..

Lonbilly

Awards
What's sad is, I don't particularly like The Maze Runner books, but the films are actually better. From what I understood, they don't make bank but they don't really box office burst. But I never payed attention on numbers for those. I know Mockigjay Part 2 also did less well than estimated, but it still did pretty well.

The problem isn't YA movies, though. It's the fact that studios keep shitting on adapting them. We could have potentially been living in a time of Percy Jackson films dominating the box office and B rated Divergent films but studios keep diddlying up when adapting. Especially when you look at the horrible other adaptations like I Am Number For, Vampire Academy, The Fifth Wave, etc.

Hell, I despise the Twilight films for being pretty much nonsensical renditions of vampire mythos and misogynistic undertones/characters, but at least those films adapted their stuff well, which is why they did so well financially.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Hopefully this garbage trend of YA films dies out now. Heard Mockingjay really failed too last year. Heard the Maze Runner stuff isn't absolute garbage though, but that's gotta go too.

I too find the never-ending adaptations of new, YA books to be annoying. They are all merely trying to capitalize on the same kind of success Harry Potter had, without realizing that

1) - Said Harry Potter fans have mostly moved on with their lives. I.e., they got jobs, too busy to read, etc.

2) These series, while marginally successful at first, seem to be following a popularity schedule. One year it'll be Hunger Games, the next Divergent. Harry Potter came out at a time when there weren't nearly as many of this style of YA novels. In fact HP's success is what caused the tidal wave of these books to come out: publishers didn't want to publish HP at first, and once one of them did, all the others are publishing books that have a remote chance of capturing that same success. Now they are everywhere and none if them will be as popular. There's YA novel fatigue.

3) the adaptations seem to be veering farther and farther from the source material with every new series that pops up. "Creative vision" and all that. As well as (pardon further Harry Potter references) attempting to follow the EXACT SAME movie formula as the final Harry Potter film with their final adaptations. It's like, can you get any more obviously desperate?

Sorry for the rant... It's just a glaring issue I've had with the saturation of YA novel-films today.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Divergent Finale Ascendant Budget Slashed Following Allegiant's Box Office Debut - IGN

Stolen from the comments:
Ascendant, more like Descendant!
eX4YE3R8QSPVVexVljAR_giphy.gif

Lonbilly

Awards
As long as that scene for Tris isn't cut/altered, I'm good. That's the only scene worth seeing in this next part. I am glad this flopped.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
The third film is on the same day as the Mummy reboot AND World War Z 2? Dumb move lionsgate

the franchise is already dead so no matter
they proably shouldn't make the movie at all

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

Another movie? Please tell me you're joking. This isn't going to be told from Four's point of view, is it? Honestly, I wish they hadn't tried to adapt the Divergent series, because it wasn't worth it from the start. Especially after the final book flopped. The first movie wasn't so bad in my opinion, because they did most of it right and I was entertained enough.

As far as YA films go, it's hard to see them adapted right compared to Harry Potter or Twilight (ugh.) You also need to consider the fan base, because they really pushed it with Twilight to make it into something bigger than it really was. Which is probably another reason why it did sell well in theaters.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Another movie? Please tell me you're joking. This isn't going to be told from Four's point of view, is it? Honestly, I wish they hadn't tried to adapt the Divergent series, because it wasn't worth it from the start. Especially after the final book flopped. The first movie wasn't so bad in my opinion, because they did most of it right and I was entertained enough.

As far as YA films go, it's hard to see them adapted right compared to Harry Potter or Twilight (ugh.) You also need to consider the fan base, because they really pushed it with Twilight to make it into something bigger than it really was. Which is probably another reason why it did sell well in theaters.

Basically they're following the same formula they did for Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games: divide the last book into two movies. The movie "Allegient" is just the first part of the book. "Ascendent" will be the second part.

Patricier21

If your movie theatre offers Super tickets (movie tickets at a higher price that enable you to get an early digital copy) then buying them will help The Divergent Series: Allegiant to do well as over 90% of it will go towards the movie's gross. Even though they've said that The Divergent Series: Ascendant's movie (the grand finale of The Divergent Series movies) will still be happening with a trimmed budget, they could still change their minds about it later. If you or anyone that you know wants Ascendant to happen, then I'd suggest seeing Allegiant's movie as many times as you can, each time paying for those Super Tickets if possible.

Lonbilly

Awards
If your movie theatre offers Super tickets (movie tickets at a higher price that enable you to get an early digital copy) then buying them will help The Divergent Series: Allegiant to do well as over 90% of it will go towards the movie's gross. Even though they've said that The Divergent Series: Ascendant's movie (the grand finale of The Divergent Series movies) will still be happening with a trimmed budget, they could still change their minds about it later. If you or anyone that you know wants Ascendant to happen, then I'd suggest seeing Allegiant's movie as many times as you can, each time paying for those Super Tickets if possible.

Or we could let it shrivel up and rot so that way Hollywood can stop diddlying up book to movie adaptations/adaptations in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back