• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Curious Case of Yen Sid, the guy whose name spelled backwards is

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Does anybody ever think about how Yen Sid finally does something but then is promptly forgotten by the story until the ending? Did Yen Sid just dip out after he defeated the Heartless like "yea, they good"?

He's like Maleficent and Pete during the events of TWTNW in KH2.

RZQl6qc.gif

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I feel like a big missed opportunity of this saga was no Yen Sid/Xehanort scene. Maybe the DLC will add a sequence to show what happens to Yen Sid where he and MX bark at each other or something lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I feel like a big missed opportunity of this saga was no Yen Sid/Xehanort scene. Maybe the DLC will add a sequence to show what happens to Yen Sid where he and MX bark at each other or something lol

That would be really welcome tbh

It always drove me up a wall that Yen Sid knew so much about Xehanort's plans and was essentially coordinating the Guardians as their leader of sorts, but he never actually interacts with Xehanort, and on Xehanort's end, Yen Sid isn't even somebody he ever brings up.

It's a weird disconnect, and I wonder if it might be intentional because of some unknown stipulation between Disney and Square Enix or if Nomura just never even thought about them interacting.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I like to think holding so many heartless at bay, and for so long would leave him a bit drained. After all, Mickey could have stopped that heartless swarm too, but conserving stamina was of key importance to the guardians at that point. Or at least it WOULD BE if it actually applied to Sora, who seems to have limitless amounts of stamina until the plot says he can take a break.

In any case, definitely would of liked to see Yen Sid do a bit more. Do you guys think he trained in Scala too? He was, afterall, stated to be a pupil alongside Eraqus and Xehanort when he was younger. I doubt we'll ever get to see a young Yen Sid but... One can dream.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I can't imagine it being a Disney thing. I can't see them caring that much about Yen Sid when they allow Mickey to be choke-held by Xemnas? But yeah I, too, thought it was weird. Then again, MX doesn't really talk about much else than his plan lol. I was really hoping MX would actually strike Yen Sid down in this title, really shaking the Guardians up on how to proceed without him. There was even a brief moment where I thought it might be getting foreshadowed when Yen Sid talked about Eraqus and how MX had "mercilessly struck him down". BUT ALAS. It'd be a nice thing added in the DLC, even if it isnt between Yen Sid and MX but a scene with Yen Sid talking more about growing up along with MX would be nice.

(other big missed xehanort opportunity -- a scene between ymx and mx)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I can't imagine it being a Disney thing. I can't see them caring that much about Yen Sid when they allow Mickey to be choke-held by Xemnas? But yeah I, too, thought it was weird. Then again, MX doesn't really talk about much else than his plan lol. I was really hoping MX would actually strike Yen Sid down in this title, really shaking the Guardians up on how to proceed without him. There was even a brief moment where I thought it might be getting foreshadowed when Yen Sid talked about Eraqus and how MX had "mercilessly struck him down". BUT ALAS. It'd be a nice thing added in the DLC, even if it isnt between Yen Sid and MX but a scene with Yen Sid talking more about growing up along with MX would be nice.

True, but they've been a bit more loose with Mickey Mouse as of late considering how risqué the Mickey Mouse TV series has gotten over the years, and they get strangely nitpick-y about random characters without much logic behind why.

That would have been really good content if they had taken that route.

I like to think holding so many heartless at Bay, and for so long would leave him a bit drained. After all, Mickey could have stopped that heartless swarm too, but conserving stamina was of key importance to the guardians at that point. Or at least it WOULD BE if it actually applied to Sora, who seems to have limitless amounts of stamina until the plot says he can take a break.

In any case, definitely would of liked to see Yen Sid do a bit more. Do you guys think he trained in Scala too? He was stated to be a pupil alongside Eraqus and Xehanort when he was younger. I doubt we'll ever get to see a young Yen Sid but... One can dream.

I didn't expect him to stick around and fight or anything, but I thought it was weird that he didn't appear at least in a cutscene just before Sora goes into Xehanort's Scala or being somewhere in the scene after Sora beats Xehanort.

It is very likely that he trained in Scala, but it is something I can easily see Nomura changing if he wanted to.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Please tell me the title is a Just a Pancake reference

If they ever get to that Xehanort game/DLC I really need to see a younger Yen Sid hanging out with Xehanort and Eraqus. With how serious he is he would definitely be the straight man who kept both of them from getting into too much trouble

Last edited:

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
It's so weird Donadl and Goofy just reappear without him and don't say anything, too. Like, after the first seconds of silence I was expecting them to go "By the way, Yen Sid is flipping dead too"

Yeah, that'd be cool.
Maybe Yen Sid could've delivered to Xehanort the stern talking to many fans think it was missing.

I love the Yen Sid scene, it's so Gandalf, but the remnants of a fanboy in me would've loved a brief magic clash between him and Xehanort. Nothing complicated, something like when Mickey uses Ultima.
Perhaps Yen Sid might've been the one to keep X-Blade Xehanort busy while Sora and co. came out with the Portal plan. It's kinda weird Xehanort just keeps looking straight at the moon like Saix.

Last edited:

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
A Kingdom Hearts character actually doing something worthwhile?

tenor.gif

Better reset the timeline.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Considerong the old man never really got out of his chair and fought till now, he probably threw out his back fighting the Heartless swarm and had to lie down.

I might be forgetting something, but was it ever stated that Yen Sid trained along Master Eraqus and Xehanort. I only remember them being old friends and all having been keyblade masters.

Awards
Well considering he no longer has the ability to wield a keyblade himself (it does say he's a former keyblade wielder) maybe he acknowledged the limits of his strength and decided the best way to help everyone was to just clear out the trash.

He might not have been able to actively help them in the final battle but we also didn't see a single heartless show up to the fight aside from the ones actively summoned. So.... maybe Yen Sid destroyed.... all of the ones we saw?! That would be pretty damn impressive if so, that would be Sora's 1000 heartless x200

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
My headcanon is that Xehanort somehow still feared Yen Sid in a Voldemort-Dumbledore fashion, and so all those apparently pointless Heartless waves were just to lure him out and keep him busy.

"One thousand creatures, he's bound to... oh they used a train. Huh."

"Okay, a gigantic tornado, he's gotta- WHERE ARE ALL THESE KEYBLADES COMING FROM? THE PAST?!"

"OKAY, how about this many creatures? ...Oh, here he is! Finally!"

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Well considering he no longer has the ability to wield a keyblade himself (it does say he's a former keyblade wielder) maybe he acknowledged the limits of his strength and decided the best way to help everyone was to just clear out the trash.

He might not have been able to actively help them in the final battle but we also didn't see a single heartless show up to the fight aside from the ones actively summoned. So.... maybe Yen Sid destroyed.... all of the ones we saw?! That would be pretty damn impressive if so, that would be Sora's 1000 heartless x200
Kind of a shame we never saw his keyblade. I always imagined it would be an enhanced version of Star Seeker. There is still a chance for the next saga though.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Kind of a shame we never saw his keyblade. I always imagined it would be an enhanced version of Star Seeker. There is still a chance for the next saga though.
I mean Nomura once said the idea behind the StarSeeker was that it was a Keyblade/chain passed down from Yen Sid to Mickey to Sora so SS probably just straight up was his Keyblade. Perhaps that why Mickey tries to give it back in BBS when he thinks he's failed.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
To be honest, KHIII was a missed opportunity in terms of giving the Xehanort Saga more of a proper closure, seeing as how there were moments where it felt like Foretellers Saga buildup.

It had a nice closure, but "nice" isn't enough for a story that has been running for over a decade, and its principal villain figure is a SOB like MX.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean Nomura once said the idea behind the StarSeeker was that it was a Keyblade/chain passed down from Yen Sid to Mickey to Sora so SS probably just straight up was his Keyblade. Perhaps that why Mickey tries to give it back in BBS when he thinks he's failed.

No wonder Yen Sid gave up on being a Master.

Xehanort inherited the powerful Keyblade from the age of fairy tales, Eraqus was rocking a 7/7 in Strenght and Magic and here's Yen Sid with his meager 3/1.
Perhaps Mickey tried to resign on purpose so he could've returned Starseeker and looked for a better Keyblade (which is now my headcanon reason in why he was so eager to look for Kingdom Key Darkside).

I'm now on board with Starseeker having this lore of being a shitty Keyblade no one wants.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
No wonder Yen Sid gave up on being a Master.

Xehanort inherited the powerful Keyblade from the age of fairy tales, Eraqus was rocking a 7/7 in Strenght and Magic and here's Yen Sid with his meager 3/1.
Perhaps Mickey tried to resign on purpose so he could've returned Starseeker and looked for a better Keyblade (which is now my headcanon reason in why he was so eager to look for Kingdom Key Darkside).

I'm now on board with Starseeker having this lore of being a shitty Keyblade no one wants.
KH Universe's Excalipoor, lol.

Back