• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The crisis core treatment

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
Hi all.
It's been a while.

Since the news are a bit on standby these days (which is a good things probably since it means the devs are on please-do-not-disturb mode), I was wondering about the future of the compilations.

As you probably know, Nomura is also producer on the Final Fantasy VII remake project and recently, it has been announced that crisis core would get a remaster and that it was part of the remake compilation. This remaster is a special one as they managed to replace the engine and all the assets of the original game to be more up to date with today's graphical standards. See the pics below for comparison:
1665266410045.png1665266332457.png

Animations are the same, only the assets and the lighting have been remade (I think it is using unreal engine) and see how good the results are for a 15 years old game. And since the original game was using an engine that was very close to Birth by Sleep (the games are indeed very similar), I was wondering whether this treatment could be applied to the previous games (1.5+2.5+DDD).

If we think about it, an insane amount of the assets for the old games already exist thanks to KH3. If done carefully, one could swap the old character models and rebuild the games in unreal engine.
The tricky part would be the disney characters which would need new assets as well as the worlds. Not to mention that crisis core is one game, while the compilations are much more massive, but hey, maybe a team is secretly working on the next gen remasters at this very moment.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts about it. It seems highly unlikely, but at the same time, the crisis core remaster is an insane technical accomplishment that I wouldn't have thought possible before its announcement.
I found an image made with the data greeting that could illustrate how a next gen compilation could look like and I cannot help myself hoping for it to happen.
1665267150034.png

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yes, probably unlikely, but not impossible. I remember thinking, when there was discussion about the possibility of a remake for KH1, for example, that MoM had a lot of building blocks to start with considering the long lanes for each world they worked on. I hope something like this (or a remake) does happen one day.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
On top of it all, it's coming to Switch as well. CC gets a full remake while PS2/PSP/3DS KH games can't even get straight ports. -_-

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I wonder if KH1 getting a "remake" is problematic because of Deep Jungle? It wouldn't be like re-releasing the same game, but a brand new version of the original game. That may be causing the remake issue, because what if they remake KH2 but not 1 lol.

I used to be against remakes of the original KH games, but if the future of the series will ignore classic DISNEY films like The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, then remakes of KH1 and KH2 may be the only way to revisit those worlds in revamped graphics and expanded worlds.

Just imagine a PROPER Genie Jafar fight with the Unreal Engine or even the Giant Ursula fight (it would be so cool if they had a fight underwater and above water)

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree, it would be nice to get versions of those games that have graphics at KH3's level.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Realisitically, I could see a Days remake from HAND reusing assets from MoM.

AegisXIII

Awards
I wonder if KH1 getting a "remake" is problematic because of Deep Jungle? It wouldn't be like re-releasing the same game, but a brand new version of the original game. That may be causing the remake issue, because what if they remake KH2 but not 1 lol.

I used to be against remakes of the original KH games, but if the future of the series will ignore classic DISNEY films like The Little Mermaid and Aladdin, then remakes of KH1 and KH2 may be the only way to revisit those worlds in revamped graphics and expanded worlds.

Just imagine a PROPER Genie Jafar fight with the Unreal Engine or even the Giant Ursula fight (it would be so cool if they had a fight underwater and above water)
Yes, I am pretty sure deep jungle would have to be cut or replaced by jungle book.
And what about gummi ships? There is no way to update any of this. XD

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
If they're going to completely remake the game, I'm sure they can revamp the Gummi Ship completely. They should just revamp all of the worlds into huge, expansive worlds like KH3.

AegisXIII

Awards
Also I think the most interesting aspect of it would be to see how different movies would look like with the Kingdom Shader. Stop motion with Jack Skellington, cell shading with timeless river... So much potential...

KudoTsurugi

Awards
That’s actually a pretty neat idea to implement if they did give KH1 the Crisis Core treatment. Shading the worlds to match the movies and we could see how far they could push it😃👍

AegisXIII

Awards
I am just putting some pictures that I have found made with data greetings so that we can imagine how it would look like. 🤩
1665686408637.png1665689817006.png1665689843722.png1665686332090.png1665686057275.png
1665689980545.png1665690053479.png1665690267298.png

Attachments

• 1665689780261.png
    1665689780261.png
    248 KB · Views: 0

TrinityXaos

Awards
Website
t.co
I thought Tetsuya Nomura was the "Creative Director" not the producer.
I wouldn't mind if Square remake some of the previous Kingdom Hearts games, as long as it doesn't take away from the current saga's titles.

TrinityXaos

Awards
Website
t.co

Willow A113

Awards
Well, that tactic of remaking games sounds a bit better than remaking them from scratch and maybe it would be a bit quicker and easier and wouldn't take away from completely new games. If future games aren't delayed by this, I'm all for it! I would love to play modern versions of these games!!

AegisXIII

Awards
How did you get access to Disney Castle in that first screenshot?
I think it's modded from the pc version.

Well, that tactic of remaking games sounds a bit better than remaking them from scratch and maybe it would be a bit quicker and easier and wouldn't take away from completely new games. If future games aren't delayed by this, I'm all for it! I would love to play modern versions of these games!!
I like this way of remastering a lot. Remakes take forever and classical remasters with simple texture upscaling do not hide the game's age. This is the perfect balance.
Also, these works are outsourced to companies that are specialized in remasters. I am pretty sure it is the case for Crisis Core. So there wouldn't be any risk to see main titles being delayed. But the main advantage is that it can attract new users who would be turned off by the old mechanics.

Last edited:

Willow A113

Awards
I think it's modded from the pc version.

I like this way of remastering a lot. Remakes take forever and classical remasters with simple texture upscaling do not hide the game's age. This is the perfect balance.
Also, these works are outsourced to companies that are specialized in remasters. I am pretty sure it is the case for Crisis Core. So there wouldn't be any risk to see main titles being delayed. But the main advantage is that it can attract new users who would be turned off by the old mechanics.
Hell yeah, fricking do it Square (...or whoever you're outsourcing these projects to)!!

AegisXIII

Awards
Hell yeah, fricking do it Square (...or whoever you're outsourcing these projects to)!!
IndiesZero made a pretty good game with Melody of Memory. It felt like a traditional game despite being on a different engine. If anyone could do it, it should be them.

Back