• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Biggest Disappointments

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Norpthalomus

It's better than drinking alone
Awards
Website
ultimumrome.tumblr.com
In your opinion, what were the biggest disappointments in this game? (Please use spoilers for the people who haven't finished).

For me, it was:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Overall I liked the game, but I had so many things that kept it from being great. In terms of the numbered titles, this is my least favorite (and I've played them all). What are your thoughts? Am I alone in my frustration, or did you feel this too?

Last edited:

Recon

Art of War
Awards
The biggest disappointment? I mean the game is super fun, but THE BIGGEST disappointment is crap writing. I mean my little sister could do better and I don't even have a sister.

KH3 is the end of a saga, a series of games still with looming mysteries currently being answered with a guide book. I mean for diddly's sake, you'd think we'd figure those out in the game.

But I think we should all should have expected this by now. I mean, hell, KH2 was just as convoluted. What are we expecting really? George R.R. Martin's writing?

Nomura is a great idealist and artist, but the guy doesn't know when to stop incorporating new ideas. And every new idea added to the series just adds more to the pile. It's like adding more objects to your juggling act. Sooner or later you just can't handle all the new ones you've added and they start to fall out of the cycle.

I could nitpick certain things as you described, but I enjoyed KH3 in its entirety. I enjoyed it for what it was.

disney233

Awards
I'm not one to hold never-ending grudges just like almost everyone in the KH community who had nothing but negativity to present for KH3. My only gripe I guess is Kairi. If you want a Princess Peach of the series, just say so, Nomura. What's the point of giving Peach a keyblade if she's too defenseless to use it?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
This has been covered all over the place. But as for a complete list:

- Low number of Disney worlds
- No FF characters / Radiant Garden. Very little to the very few original worlds there are.
- Namine got nothing.
- Low number of scenes with Riku. I know he got way more compared to other characters, but those other characters mean very little to me whereas Riku is a main character nearly on level with Sora. *shrug* I could’ve used a little more.
- Maleficent gets nothing to do. I mean, I knew her role wouldn't be huge this time, but nothing happened after all the buildup from re:Coded. All that happened was more buildup for a plot that will probably never happen--and looks like she never even gets the Black Box going by the Secret Ending, wth. This series is buildup followed by more buildup and no payoff.
- Hans / Gothel / Randall not being fightable in any capacity.
- Rapunzel disappearing post-world and neither of the Frozen protagonists being party members.
- No Critical Mode.
No tournaments.

Not a big disappointment, but re-playing the game now makes me realize how much more fun the Toy Story world would be if more than half the cast wasn't missing. Probably would’ve felt less weird if Potato Head was there instead of Hamm, since Potato Head’s more talkative. Plus when you go searching for the characters, pieces could be all over the place. Maybe Barbie, too, since there were so many dolls throughout the toy store. I would've liked trinities and/or the command board to return, but those are just things I would've liked rather than "disappointments."

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards
-Barely any original worlds
-No playable Radiant Garden
-Moogles are the only Final Fantasy characters to appear in the game.
-Elsa not being a party member
-Arendelle's story in general
-No Jungle Book :(
-The Caribbean's story
-Pacing of main story

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Nomura is a great idealist and artist, but the guy doesn't know when to stop incorporating new ideas. And every new idea added to the series just adds more to the pile. It's like adding more objects to your juggling act. Sooner or later you just can't handle all the new ones you've added and they start to fall out of the cycle.

Incorporating new ideas is all fine and dandy if you put proper resolution to some of the older ones first, which in the original advertisements KH III was supposed to do.
The came Union X and everything associated with it.

Thing is that Nomura gets carried away too easily and as a largely visionary ideas guy he's not exactly a good scenario writer.

The KH series could really use one or two extra competent scenario and dialogue writers who translate Nomura's undoubtly (in principle) creative ideas into a script with actual good pacing which doesn't leave two thirds of the central cast hanging as bystanders and resolves a majority of the old stuff before bringing in too much of the new.

Ginalea00

Awards
It felt more like a side game to me than a main title, and I consider KH1, KH2 and BBS to be main titles. These games all seemed more epic and explored new aspects of the kingdom hearts lore. KH1 introduced the characters, the heartless and the lore of the series. KH2 expands on the lore and introduced Roxas, nobodies and the Organization. BBS introduced Terra/Aqua/Ven, the unversed and explored the origins and motivations of the main antagonist Xehanort. KH3 didn’t introduce any epic new concepts and seemed like a sequel to Dream Drop Distance (if anything DDD introduced the new story content and KH3 felt like the ending of DDD).

In a way it’s good that new concepts weren’t added to KH3 to keep it simple but it felt less epic. There was no big beginning like the previous games. KH1 started with Sora’s world destroyed and he lost Riku and Kairi, KH2 started with a new keyblade wielder (Roxas), a new element to the series (the Organization) plus Sora searching for Riku once again, and BBS started with 3 new keyblade wielders, the mark of mastery and Xehanort, and each friend having different goals and searching for one another. KH3 started with SDG playing around in the Hercules world and no strong motivations to keep travelling (searching for the power of waking was a weak reason and Sora has no attachment to saving Aqua like he did with his friends in previous games). Heck even the hyped “Sora vs Xehanort” is not that epic when you consider that Sora has no history at all with Xehanort and hasn’t even met him before.

I feel like the scene where everyone was wiped out by Terra in the Keyblade Graveyard should have happened right at the start to make the beginning powerful. The Keyblade Graveyard could be the tutorial world (not Hercules) and SDG lose Riku, Kairi, Lea and Mickey before visiting any Disney worlds. This is a more epic and powerful beginning and gives Sora more motivation to seek the power of waking to save his friends, as well as to save Aqua since Riku and Mickey cannot help her now. Maybe one friend is saved after each Disney world so it makes it more relevant to visit the worlds?

KH3 also lacks a midpoint. KH1 had Sora reuniting with Riku in Traverse Town and Riku joining Maleficent, KH2 had the big heartless battle at Hollow Bastion and BBS had the trio reuniting at Radiant Garden. KH3 should have had Aqua saved from the Realm of Darkness at the midpoint. Maybe even expand on Dark Aqua more and have her be evil for the final Disney world visits? SDG now have a new quest - search the worlds for Aqua and eventually she is “saved” and wakes Ventus. Then Keyblade Graveyard Part 2.

This makes the story content more spread out.

Veevee

Awards
I'm not completely done yet, but my biggest disappointment is that the game's parts feel really disconnected. I mean, I beat one of the Organisation members with damn teacups, which was as anticlimatic as it could be. That might not seem like much, but I like when gameplay goes along with the story and summoning a damn pirate ship on a mountain and attacking Titans with a train just makes the whole thing ridiculous, even if the attractions are (partly) kinda fun. The Disney worlds hardly had any connection to the story and yes, it's the same thing as in every game but I really hoped they'd improve that. Yes, there are organisation members to make fun of you and to pretend that they are there for a reason - I'm buying the looking for substitutes one, but they didn't really seem to need any of the "insights" on the heart which were not really insights because it was mostly "everything can have a heart", duh. So ultimately I felt like I slogged through Disney worlds with a hardly understandable story and horrid pacing (let's go look for Olaf's parts) until I finally got to the juicy stuff. Story should be connected to the main gameplay, not the reward if you finish another portion of it. All in all, I felt like the first 20-25 hours were nice, but really quite forgettable and introduced (again) stuff that was kinda random. Larxene suddenly being able to control wind and
Spoiler Spoiler Show
or Marluxia having some kind of mind control and sleep spell were things that just ... happened. Shoving Union Cross into everything later and mentioning a girl that's NEVER been brought up before over and over suddenly certainly didn't help.

Enturax

Awards
It felt more like a side game to me than a main title, and I consider KH1, KH2 and BBS to be main titles. These games all seemed more epic and explored new aspects of the kingdom hearts lore. KH1 introduced the characters, the heartless and the lore of the series. KH2 expands on the lore and introduced Roxas, nobodies and the Organization. BBS introduced Terra/Aqua/Ven, the unversed and explored the origins and motivations of the main antagonist Xehanort. KH3 didn’t introduce any epic new concepts and seemed like a sequel to Dream Drop Distance (if anything DDD introduced the new story content and KH3 felt like the ending of DDD).

In a way it’s good that new concepts weren’t added to KH3 to keep it simple but it felt less epic. There was no big beginning like the previous games. KH1 started with Sora’s world destroyed and he lost Riku and Kairi, KH2 started with a new keyblade wielder (Roxas), a new element to the series (the Organization) plus Sora searching for Riku once again, and BBS started with 3 new keyblade wielders, the mark of mastery and Xehanort, and each friend having different goals and searching for one another. KH3 started with SDG playing around in the Hercules world and no strong motivations to keep travelling (searching for the power of waking was a weak reason and Sora has no attachment to saving Aqua like he did with his friends in previous games). Heck even the hyped “Sora vs Xehanort” is not that epic when you consider that Sora has no history at all with Xehanort and hasn’t even met him before.

Fookin THIS.

Also, the Xehanort battle was meh itself, characters' personalities have been reduced to an absolute minimum (mostly crying and being passive), and the lack of explanation for the concepts that were teased before and during the game (the box, MoM, TFW that made Sora go back in time somehow, Terra's armor outta nowhere which then disappears sometime later, Xion outta nowhere, YX/Eraqus chess play being somehow but merely a pun to the current events, nothing concrete about Xehanort's past or what in the actual fudge is KINGDOM HEARTS REALLY?!.. UGH, seriously, how the heck can ANYONE be satisfied with this game's plot??)

Last edited:

Tyrant Raver

The Dragon
Awards
I think I'm not alone in this, but I really really dislike the third one re-using the same villains except Xehanort. I mean come on... do we really have to fight the Organization members again? And Vanitas, really? Would have been cool if we had a few new ones.

And frankly, I know I would get flak on this, but I'm really REALLY tired of seeing Aqua and Roxas-faces. Her story was good in the prequels but came the Final Chapter Prologue Electric Boogaloos, then it just looked like her character's just getting milked the ever living darkness out of it.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
- Lack of original worlds
- The overall story. The quest to find the power of waking? YAWN
- Kairi's role
- No major second playable character section
- Final Fantasy characters. (Shame on Nomura for not realizing their value to the series)
- Boss battle difficulty. Not a single boss killed me until MX.......ON PROUD MODE!!!
- Arendelle's story (particularly the 2nd half where there's no more interaction with Elsa or Anna)
- Post game content.
- Rapunzel not being a party member post hair-cut off. (Give her the Frying pan and let Eugene use his dagger)
- San Fransokyo's level design. It's just a dull looking city (especially at day time)

Still a fun game. But quit frankly the mishaps the game had were unacceptable.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
- No Playable Radiant Garden, Destiny Islands

- Kingdom of Corona's story being too linear, slow and "forced" in certain scenes in my unpopular opinion (Until you reach the Kingdom). But that's just me.

- No Snuggly Duckling nor the Dam in Corona.

- Less Disney worlds than the previous games.

- No other Final Fantasy characters, aside from the Moogles

- Twilight Town's being a 1/3 of KH2's size
- 100 Acre Wood being ONLY Rabbit's House/Garden.

- No Wreck-It Ralph and Lilo and Stitch worlds (Seriously I'm more salty with Square's decision on making these films relegated as links, particularly the former as it could be a spiritual successor to the Tron worlds in past games, but made Ralph a link summon at the very last minute)

- Not exploring the village of Arendelle nor the Valley of the Living Rock where the trolls (That's my main criticism with the world of Arendelle.)

- Not going inside buildings, structures from the worlds (The Old Mansion in Twilight Town, Rapunzel's Tower, Elsa's Ice Castle, etc..) in KH3 like in previous games.

- Rapunzel not being a party member after her hair gets cut off.
- Randall not being a Boss

- Bootstrap Bill and the Crew of the Dutchman written out of the Caribbean world. (Still would've like to fight the Crew of the Dutchman as physical enemies like how we fought Barbossa's men in KH2, Maleficent's Goons in BBS, and the Black Guards in DDD.)

- San Fransokyo being two rooms (Hiro's Garage and a 1/4 of the city), same can be said on Twilight Town and 100 Acre Wood up above.

- Baymax being the ONLY party member in San Fransokyo (That's my biggest criticism with the world. While Baymax is a cool party member it's a shame that the development team made him the only one for San Fransokyo and pushed aside the other members of the team (Go Go, Honey Lemon, Fred, Wasabi) out of "favoritism", which is unfortunate as the powers of Go Go, Honey Lemon, Fred, Wasabi particularly the former two would've been very useful in combat and would have representation for more Disney women being party members for Sora and not just ONLY Rapunzel. Makes me concerned if we get an Incredibles world in a future game and the development team will pull a "Baymax" on the world and make Mr. Incredible the ONLY party member but no one else. What happened to the diversity in the Disney party members?)

Last edited:

Xagzan

Awards
Well I made a whole thread about my biggest disappointment in the Spoilers section, and it's still the same.

Speaking of,

But I think we should all should have expected this by now. I mean, hell, KH2 was just as convoluted. What are we expecting really? George R.R. Martin's writing?

Spoiler Spoiler Show

disney233

Awards
Could change in KH4 with Frozen returning after seeing the F2 trailer.

Personally, I'm not sure that Frozen II will be in KH4? It seems far too recent, in my opinion. At the same time, we don't know how long the gap between 3 and 4 will be, this time around, so I suppose I'll give you that. I just feel that...it could potentially be a bit too early to place something so recent on the list.

On top of that, Disney has been really...restrictive with Frozen in KH3 to the point where Sora, Donald, and Goofy...really had no part in the Frozen storyline...at all. What are the chances that the same could happen should Frozen II get introduced in the game?

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Personally, I'm not sure that Frozen II will be in KH4? It seems far too recent, in my opinion. At the same time, we don't know how long the gap between 3 and 4 will be, this time around, so I suppose I'll give you that. I just feel that...it could potentially be a bit too early to place something so recent on the list.
On the contrary, Nomura and his team get to see the films early before they come out in theaters. Also don't forget that some of the more recent Disney films ended up becoming worlds in the next KH game, such as the world based on Tron: Legacy for Dream Drop Distance and the Big Hero 6 world for Kingdom Hearts III.

Also if Frozen returns as a world and adapts the events of Frozen II, I'm optimistic that Disney and the people who worked on Frozen won't be as restrictive like they were for the Frozen world in KH3. On top of that, Anna and/or Elsa could become Party members for Sora for the first time, just like how Hercules became an official party member for Sora in KH3, but not in the other numbered titles (KH and especially KH2).

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Personally, I'm not sure that Frozen II will be in KH4? It seems far too recent, in my opinion.

It won't be recent when KH4 comes out in 2027.

The one thing I forgot before was the 100 Acre Wood. I didn't expect the world to be big... Scratch that, yes, I did. Once we learned these were all the Disney worlds we were going to get in this game, I assumed they must all be huge to justify the low number + there must be several, massive original worlds. lmao The fact that 100 Acre Wood's one room and over in the blink of an eye is crazy. Like, why even bother?

mriku90

Awards
It won't be recent when KH4 comes out in 2027.

The one thing I forgot before was the 100 Acre Wood. I didn't expect the world to be big... Scratch that, yes, I did. Once we learned these were all the Disney worlds we were going to get in this game, I assumed they must all be huge to justify the low number + there must be several, massive original worlds. lmao The fact that 100 Acre Wood's one room and over in the blink of an eye is crazy. Like, why even bother?

I highly doubt KH4 will take that long to release. I imagine it'll be 2023 at the latest. For the next gen consoles.

Last edited:
Back