• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Best/Worst Dressed Video Game Characters Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I love fashion, and video games not only gave me my love for it but is what mostly inspired me to keep drawing. There's been so many good designs over the years...but being designed by professional artists doesn't always mean characters will be well dressed. Even the most dandy of games can have some questionable outfits.

Is there a character whose outfit you want to praise, rant in bafflement, or just point out something dumb in a generally good design (or vice versa?) Then this is the place!

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Perfect place, Fudge. <3
My first mention's gotta be the guy whose design stuck in my head since his reveal, and that's Ardyn Izunia, yup. All the clothing elements and restricted color palette go so well with his body type, phisiognomy and personality. Even though the concept art may seem a bit complicated at first, how it all worked on the final game model was splendid, watching Ardyn's movements in those clothes felts like watching a ..game of dancing smoke and shadow, intriguing in itself. It's a, hah, visual pleasure for me to see such character in a game, he's fabulous. If he's not fabulous, I don't know who is.

Caxinuld

Awards
Everyone knows the best dressed characters come from Nomura, especially when he goes hard with his belt and zipper fetishes. :p

Recon

Art of War
Awards
00012.jpg

here to steal yo gurl

ffxv_noctis-trendy.jpg

"who has more style than me?"

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
latest

This could go for least dressed character, I guess.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
The thing is, Vaan dresses better than Fran but no one ever complains about the latter because, well bunny girl and fan service. I think Vaan dresses appropriately if you look at other Rabanastrians.

Anyway, I'd like to talk a bout a few series that I like.

Metal Gear Solid:

I love both The Boss from MGS3 and Meryl in MGS4. They're both dressed appropriately, come off as strong women without losing their feminine touch. Sniper Wolf in MGS1 is also great.

On the other side of the spectrum you have the trash tier design of Quiet in MGSV. The in-game excuse for her outfit is just laughable. I think they handled the whole fan service bit far better with EVA in MGS3.

As for the male characters, most of them wear what you'd expect them to wear. It's very by the book, but it works.

Resident Evil

Ada Wong in RE4! Not practical, but it totally suits her character. Leon also looks great in that game. Perhaps the only time he's ever been desirable both aesthetically and in terms of personality.

Chris looked great in RE5 and while her blonde incarnation didn't impress, Jill's costume from Lost in Nightmares is a very nice take on her original, iconic one from back in the day.

Tekken

Leo, Lili, Kazumi and Master Raven are all on point. The Mishima clan usually look good too, either wearing suits and or karate pants. Of course, there's a lot of badly dressed fighters too, like Lucky Chloe, Katarina and Alisa.

Will probably make another post at a later date about other series.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
The thing is, Vaan dresses better than Fran but no one ever complains about the latter because, well bunny girl and fan service. I think Vaan dresses appropriately if you look at other Rabanastrians.

I don't really care much for Fran's costume either tbh. Usually with clothes like that, I don't see the appeal.
It's why I lost interest in FFXIV for a bit, because it decided my character would like skimpy clothing.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
kh3 sora, my man is a flannel space pirate and i dig it.

and donald still refuses to wear pants, 2/10.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I feel like a huge chunk of my choices go to Final Fantasy. I want to say Seymore, but his hair is the real atrocity. Sticking with FFX though, Tidus' outfit is kinda dumb when you look at it. Shorts-overalls with mismatches legs and a not even waist length jacket-tee thing? The whole outfit looks kinda stupid to me.

I really don't like Penelo's outfit, but I also think I might just dislike her hair a lot more than her clothes.

Also, the new protagonist for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. While I don't hate his clothes per se, something about those pants really throws me off.

And then lastly but most importantly, Cameraman Jeff from Uncharted 2. Jesus dude, did you really think you could live to become a main character looking like that? Its the subtle things, man, the subtle things.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Sticking with FFX though, Tidus' outfit is kinda dumb when you look at it. Shorts-overalls with mismatches legs and a not even waist length jacket-tee thing? The whole outfit looks kinda stupid to me.

I know someone on this forum who would give you flowers for that statement. xD
Somehow I never minded Tidus' outfit much. It looks stupid but I accepted it as a weird fashion sense going through the Blitzball teams. They all look dumb.

I really don't like Penelo's outfit, but I also think I might just dislike her hair a lot more than her clothes.

I don't really like any of the outfits in FF XII. Maybe Balthiers. But I love Penelo's hair tbh.

Other than that, a lot of my choices would go to Final Fantasy too, I think.

I kinda love Lightning's FF XIII outfit a lot. It doesn't really make much sense, especially the super-short skirt combined with a jacket and probably a thick pullover, but she looks so swag and for once, I'm pro-cape.

Garnet could've been prettiest FF girl, but her outfit is so bad, I don't like it at all.

Veevee

Awards
Worst design: Definitely Lulu. I think I may have read it was more a joke and a test for the dev team from Nomura, but I can't say for sure. Still, I think it's so damn stupid it hurts my eyes. Also, some character design from the Pokemon series - looking at you, dawn - I mean, which ten year old girl goes on a world trip in a miniskirt?

I do love the character designs of Golden Sun, though. The colors match their respective elements without screaming "fire, water!" in your face and while they still looked cool, the clothes looked comfortable, sturdy and useful for a long travel.
250px-MatthewPromo2.jpg

Pokie

Worst should go to Seymour's wedding outfit.

images

Ruins what should be a really sad and creepy moment.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
remembered to post here, my second guy isssssss
WorldEndsWithYouJoshua.png
our lord and saviour Joshua with his Jesus beams duh
simply because he is an exception to the rule "more detailed design = better character", I mean really, throw literally any white-ish shirt and comfy jeans on him, put on some rich bitch white kickz and leave your bed hair just 💯💯💯 right 👌👌👌 and that's it. He's still a terribly awesome character, even with that ridiculouly simple fashion taste.
Except we all know he's like so in for the cringey Lapin Angelique bunny parka
lapin_angelique_bunny_parka_by_yuanfang.png

Dr_Mario64

I realize this is an incredibly weird observation, but looking at fanart has brought me to the enlightenment that literally everyone--male, female; doesn't even matter--looks good in Aqua's outfit. I mean, take a look at this.

tumblr_nvndzlnCOL1s0lil7o1_500.png

D

Deleted member 246005

I think Lars from Tekken 7 looks like a human WarGreymon but it's a step up from his look in Tekken 6 which looked like shonen vomit.

I hope Ff7r has a dlc for Cloud that gives him his kh1 look and abilities. His design there was cool.

I think the No More Heroes cast looks cool especially Travis and Henry.

The Classic Dante (DMC3) skin for DmC looks good in HD.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Realized I've yet to comment on my own thread. XD

Pokemon tends to be pretty good in this department, but Brendan's hair hat will always haunt the franchise.

150px-Ruby_Sapphire_Brendan.png
225px-Emerald_Brendan.png

It wasn't until Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire that it was clear it's supposed to be a hat, and even then it looks silly.

315px-Brendan_ORAS_concept_art.png

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
235593-kuja.jpg

Kuja reminds me of when I wake up, and the door goes and its the mailman, and I forget to put on clothes so the guy is alarmed, but it's just that awkward that he doesn't feel the need to tell me to put on pants.
That is how I imagine every character in Final Fantasy 9 feels about Kuja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back